12: It's SIMple

Many Lifetimes in a Moment of Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

If I am being honest, my memories of my past are a little hazy. I can't remember specific events of my life, but I do remember going through a lot of phases. I believe most people do and I'm no different. 

 

One of the first phases I remember is my chubby phase, although it didn't last long. It was almost like I just wanted to see what I'd look like. Hint, slightly bigger s and , but a much bigger belly. Not the healthiest curiosity to satiate, I wouldn't recommend that. 

 

Another phase I remember was my rebellious era. I lopped off most of my hair and had different color highlights almost every week. To add the cherry on top, I even thought clothes were a little too restricting. I'm pretty sure I bought a few bras and passed them off as "tops". What was I thinking!?

 

In the end, I explored many different styles, but settled on a pretty bland one, at least compared to my rebellious side. Comfort was the name of the game. Soft sweaters, shorts, and sneakers were my go-to. Oh! I did keep the shorter hair though. I grew it out a little but kept it above my shoulders. There was much less hassle with shorter hair.

 

Appearances weren't the only things that defined the phases of my life though. I ran through many different aspirations. At first, I wanted to be liked. I mean, I think we all do in some way, but I wanted to be popular. I wanted to walk down the street and be able to meet a friend by coincidence. But having to keep up with that many friends seemed hard and not necessarily beneficial for me.

 

So I thought, what about cash? I'll admit I gave more than a side glance at the criminal life. There was something y and thrilling to gaining wealth through dangerous means… But it was only a look! I'm not that adventurous, the money was the important aspect. It made everything easier right? Friends, hobbies, love, it was all easier if the wallet was full.

 

What I truly wanted though was a family. Money could make things like maintaining friends, starting new hobbies and finding love easier, but I figured a family IS those things. A family are my friends, they are my hobby, and of course, they are my love. Well, they will be once I find them. I may not have vibrant memories of the different phases of my life. At times, they feel more like styles I tried out in front of a mirror, but the past is the past. For now, I work towards a family, and it all starts with this brand new house in front of me.

Opening the door to my quaint little house has me b with excitement. I headed to the kitchen first and I had to gush about my new refrigerator. I was thinking about hugging it, but I had more to explore. Have you seen my bed? I spent a little extra on this one to get the nice queen set. No… I don't have anyone to sleep on the other side yet, but I'm sure it will be filled soon enough, thank you very much. The last impressive feature I discovered was the shower. It may look like a typical shower, but the water pressure and settings are amazing. I bet I can get in there and come out squeaky clean and happier because of it. This was a good house.

 

All the excitement tired me out and I was ready to sit on my sofa and blank out to some quality television. But as I was walking towards the relaxation heaven, I spotted the newspaper next to my mailbox. Newspapers seemed like an invention of the past, but I suppose there are those who are still using them. I took a little detour to pick it up and see what kind of things newspapers included in their papers nowadays.

 

"JOB LISTINGS"

 

Oh. Jobs. I suppose I should get one. Let's see here… Wow. They have everything. Athlete? Haha, I wish. Tech guru? I've mastered the art of forgetting my phone places… BUT I still have it. That's gotta… count… no? How about culinary? I do like cooking. Although I'm as slow as a sloth. But I'm sure the job will teach me. I'll remember that one. Secret agent? What the… I guess the best place to hide a secret is right in front of our faces sometimes. Oh and criminals must have the same idea as that's also listed here. Haha, imagining a person dressed in those white and black striped shirts and an eye mask and showing up at a building for a standard 9 to 5 job. That should be a TV show.

 

Hmm, entertainer. It's a little vague, but I believe if you can find a job you love, it's not really a job. Well, I love music and singing. It's such an inspiring art medium. The way we connect sounds to memories is such a romantic idea to me.

 

"Let's do it!" After proclaiming my intent, I… got the job? I think? All of a sudden the other job offers were no longer there and suddenly my calendar was closed off on certain days. I shouldn't question this gift. I'll just go and see if they are expecting me tomorrow.

It has been a few months since I started as an entertainer. I've been extremely proficient with my time as indicated by the few promotions and raises I've gotten in just a couple of weeks. Every single time I wanted to rest and watch some trashy television programming, my motivation kicked in to do something more productive.

 

In some kind of cruel irony, I've spent a lot of time practicing my speeches in front of a mirror. Maybe it was just destined to be. But I will say I'm much more confident when I talk to people. Some like to say I've grown to be quite charismatic and bright. I don't know if I see it, but I'm not going to tell people they are wrong. 

 

Speaking of charming, I would never regret spending those hours upon hours in front of the mirror. I think, thanks to the practice, I was able to talk to one of the most charming people I've ever met, Joy.

 

She was the first friend I made at my job. Early on, it was a bit of a bloodbath. Only a few of us lower-level people had the opportunity to actually perform something. I tried to be civil and friendly but was always met with glares. Fortunately, I broke out from that level and found Joy.

 

I would invite her over every so often to hang out after work, and those were the best choices of my life. It was surprising she said yes every time though. I could be a really clumsy host. One time, while preparing dinner, I accidentally set my kitchen on fire! I started screaming, my alarm started blaring and Joy, who was resting in the living room came into panic with me. I couldn't think straight. I had a fire extinguisher nearby, but I couldn't push myself to get it. Instead, I did what I knew best, went to practice my speech in the mirror. Luckily, a firewoman broke down my front door to put it out.

 

That's not even the most embarrassing story. I was working out on my treadmill and pushing myself to the limit. I had to go to the bathroom really badly, but I felt so close to some kind of progress. I don't know why I didn't stop, I wanted to but didn't. Once I finally reached that made up the milestone, I hopped off to sprint towards the only bathroom. Unfortunately, Joy was already on the toilet and I barged in on her! I couldn't hold it in and… well… enough of that… Point is, I barge in on her, did something EXTREMELY embarrassing, and still, she accepts my invites to come over.

 

Although she can be a little flirty at times, I'm so happy that she is my friend.

A few months later, my fairytale began. I had gotten a little lazier, but I was at the top of my career. I'm allowed that right? The best part was Joy was right there with me. But all of a sudden, a new man appeared in

Please log in to read the full chapter