18: Bridge Over Troubled Water

Many Lifetimes in a Moment of Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

She doesn't know how she got there. She knows her legs propelled her forward without any consideration of destination. She knows she wanted to move away from where she was.

 

She doesn't know where she is. She knows she can hear a river gently flowing in front of her and that the grass under her was wet and now soaking through her skirt. She knows she is not familiar with the place she is at.

 

She doesn't know how long she has been there. She knows she has been crying for long enough to where she can't produce any more tears. She knows the sun was out before she ran, but no bright light pierced her closed eyelids anymore.

 

She messed up. She had no one to blame. But that doesn't stop her from blaming the world. 

 

She was a young teen in the midst of her high school life. The most important time to make friends, be social, and date. Yet her parents had other plans when they saw her grades. 

 

Like any normal teenager when she heard restrictions on her life, she rebelled. 

 

"Who cares about science, I'm not going to be a scientist?!" 

 

"You can't stop me from dating! I'll be the only one without a boyfriend and I'll be a laughing stock."

 

"But the party is the big event of the year! Everyone will be talking about it for the rest of the year!"

 

All pathetic excuses and she knew it. Her parents always supported her as long as she gives her best effort back, yet she broke that trust. She ran away as they yelled after her. Of course, they didn't yell commands, but concerns.

 

"Honey! Let's talk about it!"

 

But that didn't stop her, she just kept running. Her parents would normally be able to catch her, but her dad happened to be bedridden sick. The last thing she could hear from them was a coughing fit and her mother showing worry. Yet Sooyoung didn't stop.

 

She hated herself.

 

Her mind finally started to clear up. She truly took in her surroundings. The first thing she noticed was the sky was dark and filled with beautiful stars. She must be fairly far away from any street as no city lights obscured her view from them.

 

The next thing to catch her ears was the flowing river. It wasn't very wide. She wondered if she could jump across it with a running start. Maybe it's more of a creek. Despite its modest size, it reflected the moon beautifully.

 

Lastly, she noticed the bridge right next to her. It wasn't a modern concrete bridge that saw a lot of foot traffic. It was a wooden bridge that might even be hand-built with its crooked boards. It looked sturdy enough to cross the body of water though.

 

She had no idea where she was. Her only clue was to go backward and hope she didn't curve too much as she ran almost blind. She needed to go home. She had to hope she still had one to go to after what she did.

 

"When you're weary, feeling small…"

 

As the girl got up from her spot, she heard a voice.

 

"When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all."

 

The song was in English, so she couldn't tell what the lyrics were about, but the voice was heavenly.

 

"I'm on your side, when times get rough."

 

She couldn't be sure, but she wondered if the voice was singing for her. Who was this person singing under the night sky?

 

"And friends just can't be found."

 

As if she was enchanted by a siren, the girl wiped the tears from her eyes and took her first few steps onto the bridge, following the voice.

 

"Like a bridge over troubled water."

 

The person was mostly masked by the darkness, but the figure could be seen. The voice was sitting on the ledge with a guitar that covered most of their body. She tried to close in to get a better view, but the bridge creaked under her step and the voice stopped.

 

The figure looked over before finishing the verse.

 

"I will lay me down."

 

When their eyes met, the lonely girl took it as an invitation to see her. Even if it wasn't she wanted to meet the voice.

 

"You have an enchanting voice."

 

The voice mysterious laughed. With what felt like a storybook meeting was shattered, but she wondered if this was better anyways.

 

"Thanks!"

 

From what she could tell, the voice belonged to a girl, no older than she is. 

 

"I'm Sooyoung."

 

"Wendy." Wendy jumped down from her perch and held a hand out. "It's nice to meet you."

 

"Likewise." Sooyoung shook her hand as she observed then shorter girl.

 

"Are you going to make fun of my height? I'm only slightly below average I'll have you know!" The girl named Wendy laughed and was so cheerful this late at night.

 

"What!? No, I was…"

 

"I know, I just wanted to lighten the mood. I know I'm a stranger, but do you want to share your worries with me?" Wendy leaned against the railing.

 

Sooyoung's eyes widened. "Huh!? How do you know!?"

 

Wendy pointed to her own eye. "Your eyes are puffy and red. Also, no one comes here without some kind of trouble. I should know." Wendy laughed once again.

 

"Oh… I don't think I can…" Sooyoung felt bad about potentially disappointing the girl. But it was hard to suddenly share her deepest problems.

 

"Don't feel pressured to. I like to believe I'm a good listener, but I understand this is weird." Wendy laughed again, but this was more of a nervous habit than anything.

 

Sooyoung hadn't been looking into Wendy's eyes. From their introduction, Wendy was a bright person. At that moment, Sooyoung was as dark as the night and she didn't want to dim radiant energy Wendy exuded. 

 

But she did look.

 

And instead of her gloomy aura eclipsing Wendy's exuberance, Sooyoung encouraged to speak. The way Wendy looked at her, those tender eyes communicating a comfort that Sooyoung can rely on. Sooyoung wanted to share her worries.

 

And she did.

 

Wendy listened to every concern like they were her own. No matter how silly it sounded and even though she painted herself as a villain. Wendy didn't judge nor persecute her.

 

"You are a really strong person."

 

That was her first response. Her response to how she made her sick father chase after her. How she betrayed her parent's trust and ran away when confronted. If anything, she was the weakest person she knew at the moment.

 

"You sound like a good person. Despite making mistakes, you sound like you plan on fixing things. That's the sign of a strong person, in my opinion. It's easy to be brave when things are going well or when things aren't your fault. It takes a truly strong person to right their own wrongs."

 

Sooyoung stood frozen in her spot while Wendy swung her guitar to her back.

 

"Actually, I wish I was as brave as you." She began to walk away.

 

When Sooyoung realized she was leaving, she didn't want things to end this way.

 

"Wait! What's your number!? I want to meet again."

 

Wendy stopped, but only turned slightly, just enough so can twist her neck to face Sooyoung.

 

"I think we will be meeting again soon."

 

Sooyoung tried to cry out, she didn't want to risk that chance. But her voice didn't work.

 

"If not, we can always meet here again."
 

Again came much sooner than Sooyoung expected. After a fairytale type meeting and departure, the last place she expected to meet the mysterious Wendy was at school.

 

She managed to get home to a couple of worrying parents. She was only scolded after some comforting hugs and safety were confirmed. She had a long talk with her parents. A talk filled with apologies and promises.

 

One such promise was to concentrate on school. Sooyoung had every intention to do so until she saw a familiar girl in her class. She never got the clearest look at the girl due to meeting under the moonlight, but it was pretty hard to mistake her. Mistake the girl who filled her mind like a dream. 

 

Instead of listening to the teacher, she studied the girl from last night, Wendy. Wendy sat at the complete opposite end of the classroom from Sooyoung, probably one of the reasons Sooyoung didn't recognize her. Wendy was also quiet and alone, an unexpected reality. Wendy was so bright and seemingly outgoing when talking to her, yet when class broke into groups during breaks, she stayed at her desk by herself. She wasn't ignored per se, people came up to say hello, but none stuck. Usually, the students had some kind of agenda with her: returning notes, borrowing school supplies, or asking a question about something. She did everything with that smile that got her to open up.

 

"Do you guys know Wendy?" Sooyoung was eating lunch with her two closest friends, Seulgi and Yeri. 

 

The three amigos used to attached to the bigger social group, but Sooyoung thought it was better to concentrate on a few friends for the time being. Seulgi and Yeri were surprisingly happy about it.

 

"Wendy? From our class?" Yeri asked.

 

"Yeah." Sooyoung found Wendy in the corner of the cafeteria, sitting with a few people, but not really interacting with any of them.

 

Seulgi took a big bite out of her sandwich and followed Sooyoung's sight line? "Oh, Wendy Son? Yeah! She is nice, albeit quiet."

 

"I heard she is really smart too, top ten in our grade," Yeri added.

 

"Smart huh?"

 

Sooyoung began getting up, her lunch untouched.

 

"Hey! Where are you going! Seulgi is going to eat your food!"

 

"Too late!"

 

Sooyoung didn't care. She wasn't going to let this opportunity go to waste and it seemed like Wendy was waiting for her as well. Wendy caught her walking up and made space for Sooyoung as if she expected her to give her company.

 

"Hi." Sooyoung sat in the open spot Wendy created.

 

"Surprised to see me again so soon?"

 

"Why didn't you just tell me we were in the same class?"

 

"Wasn't I like a mysterious stranger in the night though?" Wendy leaned closer, excited about the little atmosphere she created about herself.

 

"Yeah, until you speak." Wendy laughed at Sooyoung smiled.

 

"So, how did it go with your parents?" Wendy's impish attitude disappeared and was replaced by that kind-hearted look that drew Sooyoung in the first place.

 

"Good, actually. We had a long talk. It went through the night, but we understand each other."

 

"I'm happy for you."

 

"Yeah…"

 

For once, Wendy seemed at a loss. Sooyoung didn't give her much to go on with her response, but she was convinced Wendy would always have the right words to say.

 

Wendy noticed Sooyoung had no lunch. "Oh! You don't have any food, please take some! My mom always packs too much." Wendy was a little panicked like a mother would be.

 

"Actually I was about to rejoin my friends over there." Sooyoung pointed to the two fightings over her food.

 

"Oh, okay, they look fun. Enjoy your lunch!"

 

"They are, and thanks." Sooyoung was convinced she heard Wendy sigh when it sounded like she was leaving.

 

"Do you want to join me? Despite them fighting over the food like two starved alley cats, they are nice people."

 

"I won't be a bother?!" The excitement was hard for Wendy to hide.

 

"Of course not." Sooyoung took Wendy's lunch and practically forced Wendy to catch up.


 

That fated night would be one they both would call one of the most important events of their lives. For Wendy, she gained two invaluable friends and a best friend she would do anything for. For Sooyoung, she got to live out the full high school experience thanks to Wendy's tutoring that helped raised Sooyoung's grades up and kept them up. Wendy was also surprisingly helpful with social interactions like getting dates and party invites even though Wendy never seemed to pursue them herself.

 

One of her biggest feelings of pride was hearing her name called over the speakers. She got to receive her diploma in front of two parents who couldn't contain their tears. Sooyoung thought they went a bit overboard, especially when hugging Wendy first, thanking her for helping their dumb daughter graduate.

 

"Hey! We got into the same school together!"

 

This prospect was probably what excited Sooyoung the most. She was upset to hear Seulgi and Yeri had decided to go a different direction, but she at least still had Wendy. She would miss them, but she couldn't be too disappointed when her next four years she would be rooming with her best friend.

 

As a last hurrah, the four friends decided to catch a late dinner at their favorite fast-food restaurant. Their families had gotten together to throw a party, but they wanted to reminisce one more time together.

 

"I can't believe this is it." Yeri sighed.

 

"We aren't going to stop being friends right?" Seulgi tried to sound brave, but the cracks in her voice betrayed her.

 

"Of course! Our Universities aren't that far off, and technology makes it easy to stay together!" Seulgi reached across the table to hug her positive friend.

 

"Ugh, someone give me sunglasses. How are you still this bright at night and after the party?" Yeri squinted her eyes to play up her joke.

 

Wendy pouted. "Yah! That's what makes Wendy so awesome, don't take that away from her!" Sooyoung side hugged Wendy in a protective way.

 

"You two are so gross, you aren't this way with your boyfriend…"

 

"Actually, Yeri and I were wondering where he is, shouldn't he be here?"

 

"We broke up," Sooyoung said nonchalantly.

 

"Already?!" Both Seulgi and Yeri scream in unison.

 

"Yeah? We are going to different schools. It wasn't worth trying to make it work." Joy shrugged.

 

"You guys got together like a month ago… You should have known already…" Yeri rubbed her temples from frustration. It only got worse after Joy shrugged off her curiosity.

 

"God, was that what? The 13th boyfriend? You should be checked…"

 

Sooyoung tried to slap Yeri, but the table was in the way. "Why are you keeping count?! They weren't all my boyfriends, I just went out on dates with them. I was asked out a lot, what can I say?"

 

"No?" Sooyoung glared at Yeri. "I mean, you'd go on like two dates and then dump them, you could have filtered them a little bit…"

 

"I have to agree with Yeri."

 

"Not you too Seulgi…"

 

"I mean, Wendy was probably asked out on more dates than you and she turned them all down."

 

"Alright, everyone, calm down. Sooyoung wanted to experience everything life had to offer." Wendy defended her best friend.

 

"Thank you from the meanies, bestie." Sooyoung hugged Wendy and rubbed her cheek on hers.

 

The talk calmed down a bit after that, but Seulgi had a nagging question she had to ask.

 

"Hey Wen, I thought you were going to go to that prestigious University? What happened?"

 

Sooyoung looked incredulously at Wendy.

 

"I was considering it, but it was too expensive."

 

"Didn't you get some scholarships?"

 

"Yeah, but it wasn't enough. Besides, it was too far away from home for my liking. So when Sooyoung told me about her choice, I thought it looked good."

 

"But-"

 

"Why are you trying to make Wendy regret her decision. Stop trying to take her away from me!" Sooyoung pouted and crossed her arms.

 

Wendy laughed at patted Sooyoung on the head. "No one will ever take me away from you okay."

 

Sooyoung relaxed to the touch and lost her scowl.

 

"Gross."
 

The first two years of University was very reminiscent of high school. Wendy continued to excel in her studies while Sooyoung enjoyed her time meeting new people and going on dates. Her schooling was really taking a backseat, but Wendy was always there to pick her up when she needed it.

 

Sooyoung was honestly done with school. If she didn't enjoy Wendy's tutoring so much, she wondered if she would have dropped out already. The only other reason she stayed in school was University was a surprisingly good place to meet people. She even managed to keep more friends and boyfriends longer. 

 

Sooyoung liked introducing her boyfriends who lasted longer than two months to Wendy. Partly to prove she can hold a relationship longer than a month, but also because a part of her believed the boyfriend needed to be approved by Wendy before things went any further.

 

Being a social butterfly meant spending more time outside their apartment. Sooyoung always tried to drag Wendy out to places to meet her friends, but she always denied her. So as fun as her new friends were, she did miss a certain someone always brightening up the world and making her laugh. Fortunately, that brightness was still around greeted her every night and listened to the stories of her adventures.

 

One night, Sooyoung had special news to tell Wendy. "Wen! You'll never guess what happened?!"

 

Wendy closed her book for school to give Sooyoung her undivided attention. "Hmm lemme guess. Your boyfriend proposed to you!" Wendy played up her excitement.

 

"What? No… I broke up with him a couple of weeks ago… Were you even listening then?"

 

"Two weeks ago? Oh, I must have been tired sorry.".

 

"That's okay! Because I was scouted!"

 

"Wait, like in those cheesy stories? That actually happens?"

 

"Apparently! They got me an audition for a commercial! They

Please log in to read the full chapter