009

Him and I

20XX

San Francisco, California

 

 

Mark turned his head as he heard the front door open, he put his coffee down and stood up.

“Sabrina?”

Sabrina appeared by the stairs, clad in a sports bra and leggings.

“Did you go out for a run? Or, did you run here?” Mark blinked at her, she shook her head.

“Nope, I drove here, and put on this outfit so I’d feel fit and healthy.” She muttered as she walked towards the kitchen, Mark could only nod back, not bothering to argue with her.

“You have class later, right?” She asked as Mark joined her, he nodded back before kissing the side of her head.

“I don’t know what to feel about junior year yet, I’ve been drowning with papers and readings.” She complained as she prepared some oatmeal.

“And you seem to be taking things well, weird. Am I being weird?” She turned to him, Mark shook his head.

“I told you to get afternoon classes.”

“Nah, I was wrong, you have always been the weird one.” She waved him off.

“But I function better during mornings.” She reasoned and Mark rolled his eyes at her.

“Right, ma and pa are coming over the weekend. How about dinner?” Mark asked her, Sabrina took a spoonful of her oatmeal and nodded back.

“Dinner’s fine.” She replied as she pushed the bowl towards him, Mark took a spoonful.

“So, break’s coming soon,” Sabrina started as she sat on the counter.

“Should we like…go on another road trip? Or, somewhere overseas?”

“Where do you feel like going?” He asked as he poured her a cup of coffee. She pursed her lips and tilted her head.

“How about your hometown? You’ve been to mine.”

“Taiwan? You sure?” Mark asked, she paused and blinked, realizing what she had just suggested.

“I—I mean, yeah. But if you’re not comfortable about that, we can just opt for Rome or Turkey.” She murmured, Mark broke into a smile.

“I mean, the rest of your family’s there and I don’t want you to think that I am asking to be introduced~”

Sabrina,”

“What?”

“I’ve always wanted to introduce you to my family.” Mark said as he cupped her cheek, her brows rose.

“Are you sure? That would be too much~”

“Four years, Sabrina. Four years.” Mark scrunched his nose at her before capturing her lips with his.

“We’ve been together for four years, even my parents think of you as family.”

“But going there is totally different. I don’t want to make it seem that~”

“Sabrina, chill.” Mark placed his palms on her waist, trying to distract her.

“Then, Taiwan it is?” She puffed her cheeks at him.

“When did I ever say no to you, young miss?” He asked playfully before walking to the fridge, Sabrina smiled to herself.

 

 

“Hey, you two!”

Sabrina paused just as their friend, Jackson Wang reached them.

“I didn’t see you at class yesterday. Where were you?” She asked him as Jackson looped arms with her, Mark glanced at his friend briefly.

“Guess.” Jackson chuckled, Sabrina grimaced and shuddered.

“Are you two off to lunch?” Jackson asked, Mark nodded back.

“Sabrina wants Thai food, join us.” Mark spoke as he walked with them, they had met Jackson during their freshman year, at first, the Tuan boy was a bit wary of him since the latter was so loud and friendly. Too friendly.

And, he had no qualms with being chummy with Sabrina as well as other girls in the school. But after a few months of being around him, Mark realized that Jackson was just like that.

Besides, Sabrina was comfortable around him and that was all that mattered.

“But you two don’t do well with spicy food.” Sabrina spoke, tugging on Jackson’s arm. Mark glanced up as they crossed the street.

What would you rather eat?” Sabrina turned to Mark.

“I’m okay with Thai food, Jackson?”

“How about hot pot? I know a good place in Chinatown.” Jackson suggested as they reached Mark’s Range Rover.

Mark turned to the girl, his brows raised, waiting for her to decide.

“That’s okay, let’s get hot pot.” She nodded, Jackson cheered and got in the backseat.

Sabbie’s word is law!” Jackson joked as he settled in.

“How’s your paper going? I feel like we shouldn’t have gone out.” Sabrina asked, Mark shook his head.

“It’s okay, I’m probably going to turn it in tomorrow, don’t worry.” Mark gave her a wink before opening the door for her.

“Are you sure? I can always just grab dinner with Jackson.” She chuckled.

“Nah, it’s good. It’s been a while since the three of us went out. Besides, you don’t have enough energy to deal with him alone.” He joked, Sabrin snorted and got in the car.

“I heard that, Tuan!” Jackson hollered from the back.

 

 

“At this rate, they are going to give permanent citizenship.”

Shownu looked up from his computer, he was checking flights to San Francisco when his older cousin stepped in his study.

“Hyung,”

Yunho patted the younger male’s shoulder as he sat down across him.

“Changmin left last week to visit Sooyeon, he says she’s doing okay.”

“I heard, hyung. I texted her.” Shownu replied, Yunho paused briefly but he nodded back.

“I’m planning to fly in next month, before her school break begins.”

“Really? That’s good then, Sooyeon’s used to seeing you during summer.” Yunho said, Shownu smiled and nodded.

“Does she know you’re coming?”

“I haven’t spoken to her about it yet, but she mentioned that she’d be staying in town.”

Yunho chewed on his lower lip before speaking.

“Hey, so, you visiting frequently…is…he okay with that? Mark?”

Shownu paused, his eyes went to his cousin before replying.

“Why would it be a problem, hyung? I’ve known her longer.” Shownu crossed his arms, his forehead creasing.

“I know that, and I’m sure Mark is aware of that too. But, you’re not kids anymore, people might misunderstand that you keep on flying there to~”

“Well, it would probably for the best if they misunderstand.”

Yunho stopped, his brows rose in confusion.

“Shownu, you~”

“She deserves better, hyung. Not just some American boy who doesn’t know anything about our world.” Shownu pointed out, his tone harsh.

“What you’re doing, you’re getting in between two people~”

“I don’t care. Sabrina has always been mine. Not his.”

 

 

“You only asked me to visit, so you could go shopping.”

Sabrina grinned and looked at her brother, the two were in a famous restaurant at Pier 39 waiting for their food.

“Oppa, I needed new clothes.”

“Sure, and about a dozen of handbags as well.” Changmin pointed out, she gave him a sheepish grin.

Well, Sabrina always got what she wanted, especially when her older brother was involved.

“How’s class? You look tired.”

“I just got out of hell week, oppa. Don’t even start.” She muttered darkly, the older Shim laughed.

“How’s Mark?”

“You know, you never even asked how I was doing when I picked you up at the airport.”

“Well, you look okay.” Changmin shrugged at her, teasing. Sabbie rolled her eyes, not wanting to bicker.

“Mark’s fine, we don’t have matching schedules this semester.”

Changmin smiled and nodded, the waiter arrived with some appetizers.

“And, right, I wont be coming home for break, oppa.”

“Why?”

“We decided to visit Taiwan, I haven’t been there since…we were kids, right?”

“So, you get to meet the rest of the Tuans.” Changmin grinned at her, Sabrina sent him a look.

“It’s not like that, oppa.”

“It is like that, Sooyeon. You two have been together for quite a long time now. And honestly~”

“As an older brother shouldn’t you be more….stern and not playful about this?” She muttered as she picked up a piece of calamari.

“When did I ever object? You found the one person who could deal with you. I approve.”

“Oppa!”

“What I’m saying is that, I don’t see the need to be…all strict on you and Mark, he’s perfect for you, Sooyeon-ah. I don’t want to get in the way of that, even appa and eomma love him.”

Before Sabrina could speak, she felt someone pull the chair beside her.

“Hyung,” Mark greeted the older male, Changmin grinned at him.

“It’s been a while, how are you?” Changmin spoke to him, Sabrina glared at him from her seat. Mark glanced at her, a little confused.

“I’ve been good, hyung. What’s wrong with her?”

“I don’t know; she’s always been moody.” Changmin said teasingly, Mark broke into a grin.

“Well, she is. A little bit.” Mark said teasingly as he put the napkin on his lap, he nudged her shoe with his.

“Wow, I like how you two basically just diss me to my face, but, fine.” She grumbled before putting some calamari on Mark’s plate. He gave her a small playful smile in return before poking the back of her hand in a childish manner.

“Older brother privilege.” Changmin winked at her.

“Boyfriend privilege.” Mark scrunched his nose at her, Sabrina shuddered and picked up her glass of wine.

“You privileged boys.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++