TUESDAY, JUNE 4TH 2019

Smoky Heart

 

 

It was a different type of ring, he figured as he held the little black velvet box in his hands. Heechul had seen bigger diamonds on a gold or silver band but never one as a simple, yet elegant as the one Yunho had purchased.

What could he say? Heechul liked being the center of the attention and he had to stand out. Jaejoong should be the only shining thing not the damn diamond. It was a beautiful ring, Heechul decided.

"It's really beautiful, Yun," Heechul said as he sat across from Yunho at a café. He gave the younger back the box. "When do you plan on proposing?"

Yunho held the little box as if holding a breakable, glass heart. "Um...I'm still considering at the mom-"

"It took him hours to pick a ring, Heechul hyung," Yoochun interjected as he sat at the other end of the table. "It'll take him just as long to figure everything else out."

Yunho snapped at his friend, "Yah! Keep to yourself." When he had found a ring finally Yoochun had cheered since the torture ended.

Heechul lay back in his chair. Unmistakably Yunho and Yoochun had an interesting trip when picking the perfect ring. He couldn't stop himself from stealing a glimpse at his own that Hangeng had given him when he had proposed. On his right hand of his ring finger was a golden band with a ruby stone.

He had thought it was a loving gesture since it was his birthstone. In reality just being with Hangeng was amorous to him. Finding love in friends and family would never compare to the true love you find with the person who is clearly yours to be.

Heechul was delighted to know that his cousin and good friend had found true love in each other. He hadn't ever thought of setting the two up. He didn't have to since they found their way to each other as soulmates would, he'd believe.

Nonetheless what ring Yunho had chosen, Jaejoong was going to love it. Not because the money that went into it or the style, but because it was from Yunho. Why? Because it was Yunho that Jaejoong treasured. Not the ring.

"Are you open to any suggestions?" Heechul questioned his friend, ignoring what Yoochun had said.

Yunho placed the ring on the table and groaned, "I want this proposal to be faultless...I haven't come up with any good ideas."

Raising an eyebrow, he asked inquisitively, "But you've come up with an idea, but it isn’t good?" Heechul eyed Yoochun for an answer.

Yoochun gave a small nod in agreement to Yunho's words, "I've heard of them. They severely, hyung."

"Care to elaborate, please?" Heechul requested as he scanned both younger men. He didn't care who responded. If Yoochun got the facts incorrect, Yunho would correct them.

Yoochun elevated his index finger to highlight the number one, "His first idea was to dance with Jaejoong, one of the most horrible dancers ever."

"I thought that was romantic!" Yunho defended his idea.

Heechul saw the fault in that idea, "I at it too." Sometimes he thought it was in the Kim genes since one of their cousins didn't dance perfect either.

It felt like Kibum was the only hope in their family.

Heechul felt fortunate that Hangeng didn't humiliate him by proving how much he at dancing. The gesture was sweet but Jaejoong would probably feel uncomfortable.

If the two were going to dance it would probably be best to recreate the last scene in Twilight. At least Jaejoong would be more relaxed if they were by themselves.

"His second idea was to take Jaejoong to Japan for a weekend," Yoochun clarified the second idea, not being able to stop himself from laughing at the end.

I doubt either can afford to jump on a plane to Japan right now, Heechul thought.

Japan was a beautiful country and Heechul could see how that wouldn't be a place to propose. None of them were millionaires to where they could afford all of that though.

There was still the wedding to pay for as well so a trip wasn't ideal. If they ever did went to Japan the two would be okay since they had taken Japanese as a language in school and were pretty good at it.

That would be an idea to throw out as well like the first one.

"His third idea was to make a mixtape of songs he composed in dedication to the love they share." Yoochun smirked as he peeped at Yunho was sending daggers his way.

If looks could kill Yoochun would have been a corpse by the time he had gone through the first idea.

"That's beyond corny." Heechul felt like gagging by how cliché every idea that came out of Yoochun's mouth that had been created by Yunho sounded.

Just by Heechul's observation, Yunho knew that the ideas weren't liked at all. He hadn't come across a struggle such as this one.

Why was proposing so hard?

"You undeniably need specialized help," Heechul thanked himself for being the professional here. "That's why I'm here."

These words were found as a joke to Yoochun. The younger burst into laughter and pointed at Heechul as he did so. Heechul's deadly glare matched Yunho's.

While Yoochun was living it up with a big laugh, Yunho sat like a prisoner who was going to face execution. Sometimes Heechul questioned why he made friends with fools.

Yoochun had found the strength to stop laughing for a moment, "You call yourself an expert, hyung?" His Cheshire cat grin never left his face.

"Yes, as a matter of fact I do," Heechul straightened his back and crossed his arms. He sent Yoochun had unenthusiastic look before turning to Yunho. "I personally know Jaejoong and I've been proposed to before."

Yunho felt appreciative for getting some support since he was only getting jokes from Yoochun. "I would be pleased with the help, hyung."

This was going to a momentous event in their life that they were going to hark back to. One day people would ask them how the proposal went and they'd have to explain it. They'd have to remember it since it was before their marriage.

That was another thing to think about: the wedding. If he wanted this proposal to be perfect, the wedding would have to be as well.

It may be important for Jaejoong but for him to. He didn't want to screw up this moment that he'd have to remember as well. He wanted this to be perfect for the both of them that it made them smile every time they thought about it.

Of course, he didn't have to tell Heechul for him to know that. Heechul knew how important this was.

"Let's brainstorm so you can get an original idea with some help," Heechul began as the waiter brought them their drinks. "...Your first date! Tell me about that."

Both younger men looked confused but it was Yoochun who had spoken up first.

"Why are we going back when we're supposed to go forward?" Yoochun questioned. Heechul was the assumed professional but he didn't know if this would work. "How does this help?"

Heechul took a sip of his drink before setting the cup down, "We want this idea to be yours. How do we make it that way? We’ll place some of your ideas in the proposal."

Yunho could see where the gears had turned in Heechul's head. He was trying to use an idea that he had used so it'd be creative and original in its own way. It sounded like a good idea so Yunho decided to follow along with Heechul's words.

As Heechul had asked, Yunho went back to the first date Jaejoong and he had gone on. It made him smile as it brought back good memories. It was the early times of Jaejoong's and his relationship.

They were only fifteen when they had become more fascinated in each other. It was young, inexperienced love but it ended up becoming something more as times came by. It was a young love that turned into something mature and more meaningful.

At that age they were going through the usual, adolescent issues as well as figuring out themselves; Jaejoong loved music and Yunho loved dancing.

It had been during winter when Yunho asked Jaejoong on a date. The raven haired beauty had blushed in embarrassment but accepted the offer.

They both liked the Han River and taking a stroll or having a picnic right by sounded ideal so that's what they did. Jaejoong had argued at first that it'd be pretty cold but Yunho promised that they could still have a good time and so Jaejoong went along with it.

Jaejoong had brought food in a straw basket while Yunho had brought thermals of warm drink and warm blankets. They both dressed for the snowy weather and met up at the river they had both fallen in love with.

Since they were trying to be discreet due to their parents, they hadn't been questioned. It didn't sound suspicious at all to the grownups. Their parents didn't suspect a thing. To them it just sounded like a friend hangout day. Their parents probably though they were having a friend get together as were going to make snowmen or get into snowball fights.

"It had been so cold that day that I told him we should snuggle for body warmth," Yunho said remembering he had tried cheeky. In all honesty he just wanted Jaejoong on him, his arms holding him tight enough he never wanted to let go. "We had gotten so close that just two or three more inches, our lips would touch."

Yunho could have gotten even closer so his lips on Jaejoong's plump, red ones (he had so badly wanted to) but he didn't. The gentleman side of him wouldn't corrupt this pure, innocent, young love by lust. Instead, he kissed Jaejoong's nose. It had surprised Jaejoong for many reasons.

Whether it was their young curiosity or they had both meant to do it, but they had wanted to do more. They had wanted to keep feeling that connection that had developed. Yunho could still remember when he had pulled away. Jaejoong's cheeks had turned red and he turned away within seconds. Yunho knew Jaejoong's cheeks hadn't gone red because of the cold.

Jaejoong might have been astonished by the kiss but they still embraced each other for warmth. In the end, they just sat in the snow while looking at the frozen river. Perhaps the weather was turning them into popsicles, but they had each other's warmth. The warmth they shared had more meaning in the world than anything else at the time.

"I kissed his nose." Yunho said with dreamy eyes as the moment replayed in his head. It wasn't the lips, but it had meaning after so many years had gone by. Jaejoong had liked it so he did too.

Yoochun looked like he was about to throw up, "Damn...I don't know whether to vomit or smile. Their love story feels like watching some romance drama."

Heechul agreed, feeling like he could gag at any moment, "They're sickeningly sweet." He thought about what Yunho had to say.

Jaejoong and Yunho both liked the Han River no matter what season it was. It wasn't winter and Heechul wasn't going to let Yunho wait months to pass. Yunho would only agree to it because he's nervous but he wouldn't really want to wait that long. Besides, the two loved each other and should get married soon.

They had been boyfriends for a long time so Heechul wasn’t going to let either wait any longer.

“Maybe you can take him out on a date to the Han River?” Heechul suggested, gaining Yoochun’s and Yunho’s attention. He continued, “Obviously this won’t be a date but Jae will think that.”

Yoochun didn’t seem too grossed out anymore, “How are we going to set the mood?” Heechul glanced at him, Yoochun sarcastically replied, “I mean are they just going to look at the water and then Yunniebear is supposed to whip out the box?”

Yunho glared at Yoochun for poking at his nickname Jaejoong had given him long ago, “Yeah thanks for pointing that out, Mickey Mouse.”

“Yah when I went to the States that’s what I went by!” Yoochun protested. He had told Junsu in secret and his beloved duck- boyfriend told the whole freaking world.

Heechul rolled his eyes. Whenever he was with his friends, who were younger than him, he felt like he was babysitting children. He was just lucky enough that none of them came home with him. Life would be Hell if he had children who acted like his dear friends he loved and cared for.

“Enough,” Heechul silenced them. It felt like telling kids to be quiet before they began throwing punches. “No more nickname-chat. We have something more important to talk about.”

The two younger ones agreed since the talk of nicknames was completely thrown out of the discussion.

“You guys had a picnic on your first date, right?” Heechul asked Yunho, receiving a nod. It seemed like a reasonable plan, in Heechul’s opinion. Jaejoong would recall that memory. “You guys have a nice little picnic. Hell, maybe you two can bring an iPod and listen to music while snuggling together on the ground?”

By the look of Yoochun’s face, he wouldn’t choose that idea if it were him. Then again, Yoochun shrugged. He must have realized that it wasn’t him proposing. He’d get to make those choices when that day came along.

Yunho felt like the idea was so Jaejoong and him. Now he just needed to plan everything out: set a date, gather the needed items and not let Jaejoong find out. It was a mission after another mission but he’d take the challenge like he had previous times before.

He needed to keep reminding himself that Jaejoong loved him. The location and ring may not be perfect, but Jaejoong didn’t want those things. He wanted him—that brought confidence in Yunho.

All he needed was to know Jaejoong loved him.

 

~~~~~

 

He hadn't told Yunho that he was pregnant yet. A day had passed since he had found out himself so it wasn't like a crime or anything. Jaejoong had made the decision that he would be doing so today when Yunho got home.

Before Yunho had arrived home yesterday, Jaejoong had snatched any evidence of what he had been doing and threw it all away. He took the pregnancy tests, the box, the receipt and the pharmacy bag and chucked it into one of the trash bins outside of the grocery store.

As frightened as he may be to tell Yunho the news, he was going to be the one to tell him. It was their child and the only one who had the right to tell Yunho was him.

Jaejoong sat down on the comfortable baby blue couch in their apartment. He thought about bringing a baby into their home. It's not like they would need a house because he believed it was just one baby. He had scheduled an appointment with the doctor on Friday.

Yunho and he shared a room and there were three other spare rooms. Sometimes one of their friends would sleepover. The two other rooms hadn't been used and Yunho thought maybe they could make it into a mini music studio.

One of those rooms was going to become a nursery, which wasn't an issue. Jaejoong wanted it to be a surprise even though knowing the gender may be important when it comes to gifts and organizing the nursery.

Maybe they'd paint it purple or green? Perhaps they'd just keep it white.

He would also have to stop working too. Whenever he got to the last remaining months of his pregnancy he'd have to stay at home. The thought of not being able to work made him think.

Jaejoong admitted he wasn't a good patient. He loved taking care of others but when it came to him, he didn't like stopping. When he got sick he brushed it off. Maternity leave would be unfavorable since he rarely took sick days.

He loved working. It kept him distracted from things that bothered him. Now he'd have to think about something else when working: the baby. Right now his main concern was telling Yunho. Once he got off that stepping stone he would be on land again.

Jaejoong thought it was so ironic that as a person who works with children that after so long he'd finally be having one himself. He would miss the children he sees every day once he stopped going to work.

"I'm home!" Jaejoong jumped when he heard his boyfriend's smooth holler. He smiled so Yunho wouldn't think he's bothered by something.

Yunho put down his duffel bag from work on the ground before running over to the couch where Jaejoong sat. He had jumped onto the seat next to him and wrapped his arms around Jaejoong.

Jaejoong had been taken by surprise and had shrieked at the sudden action. When he felt Yunho's arms around him, he indulged in the moment. He leaned in to Yunho's embrace.

Jaejoong rested his head on Yunho's shoulders, feeling joyous. He shut his eyes, "How was work?"

"It was good, really good," Yunho recalled the meeting he had earlier and that was good news. He then remembered how work had went, "We got a new two new students."

Jaejoong smiled at the thought of other kids finding the love of dance and wishing to express it further.

After they had graduated high school they kept pursuing what they loved to do. Yunho wanted to become a choreographer so he continued with dance. Jaejoong loved music but he had decided to focus on young children. After all of that school he ended up becoming a preschool teacher.

It's not like he couldn't do something he loved. He had brought in his keyboard to his class and showed them what it was. Some of the kids wanted to learn how to play so he had been teaching some children how to play. He also played in class as well just for fun.

One of their great friends, Kwon Boa, had begun her own dance school along with a friend of hers, Gong Minzy. The school wasn't huge but Boa had faith in it. Many young people of all ages went to dance. Yunho was an official dance teacher there.

They get to live their dreams and be happy.

The both of them were happy and without any big worries on their paths. Jaejoong couldn't help but wonder if his news was going to affect this.

"I see potential in him, Joongie," Yunho had begun talking about the new students and Jaejoong felt horrible that he had zoned out. "Hoseok has the rhythm."

Jaejoong gulped, debating real quick on agreeing or asking for the story to be retold. "Mian Yun...I spaced out all of a sudden."

Yunho hadn't even looked hurt. He smiled instead, "You must be thinking about something good." He leaned close to his boyfriend's face, "What are you thinking about, Jae?"

Jaejoong couldn't hide his blush from how close their faces were. He knew the words that were going to come out of his mouth weren't going to involve the fact that he was pregnant.

He would have to think about school and not a little someone that would be entering their life soon.

Jaejoong smiled sweetly at how two boys had acted cutely today. A little boy who was born in the States, Seo Johnny, had given another little boy, Lee Taeyong, a pretty flower during recess. Ryeowook, Key and him had been gushing at the cuteness all day.

He thought it was the sweetest things ever. Moments like those reminded him why he had chosen to become a teacher. He loved kids. Kids could he precious and sweet like little Johnny had been.

Today that moment had made him wonder if Yunho's and his baby would be that way. Would their baby be sweet and sensitive or cool and confident? It was something he thought about since he saw little Taeyong accept Johnny's flower.

"Johnny gave Taeyong a flower today. It was the cutest thing ever, Yun!" Jaejoong exclaimed.

Yunho must have thought that was cute since he was smiling and chuckling, "That's pretty cute."

Jaejoong wanted Yunho to go back to work. He wouldn't admit it but he might have been purposely stalling his chances. He didn't think it was true is what the other half told him.

It's not like there was a perfect time to tell him. They were both off of work and were with each other in their home. He had plenty of chances to tell Yunho. He didn't have to do it right this moment.

"Tell me more about your students," Jaejoong said as he looked at Yunho fondly. "I love the way you describe their passion."

Yunho pecked Jaejoong's lips and explained the story a second time. Jaejoong wouldn't space out though. He kept his eyes and ears on Yunho this whole time.

Jung Hoseok and Park Jimin were the new students at I AM THE BEST. Because Hoseok's surname was "Jung" Yunho had thought maybe they were related since he rarely met others who had the same last name as him. He had thought Jimin was related to Yoochun or Leeteuk because his surname was "Park."

Jaejoong thought it was funny of Yunho when he made that joke. He could vouch that it was uncommon for him to come across Jung's. At the moment he only knew four Jung's: Jessica and Krystal, Jaehyun from his class and Yunho. He could even add Hoseok (who he didn't even know) and the little baby in his stomach.

The story had continued with Yunho watching Hoseok and Jimin, being quite impressed. Yunho had even called in Eunhyuk and Taemin to check out the two newbies. The three of them were blown away by their talent. Yunho's attention had fallen mostly on Hoseok. He went on about the potential he had. How his body moved with the music.

Jaejoong was content when he saw Yunho talk so passionately of his students. It was because Yunho took dance seriously and could connect with anyone who loved it as much as he did.

The rest of their day had gone on. Yunho put his clothes from his duffel bag in the wash and went to take a shower while Jaejoong went to text Junsu and prepare dinner.

To: Dolphin Boy

I haven't told him yet...I'm so worried, Su Su

Jaejoong kept his phone near him while he was cooking. He had taken out some kimchi he had made yesterday when his phone beeped.

From: Dolphin Boy

The day hasn't ended so u still have time. U can't keep it hidden 4ever

Jaejoong had finished plating when he grabbed his phone and texted his best friend back.

To: Dolphin Boy

What am I supposed 2 say? 'Remember the last time we made love, Yunnie? The broke and now I'm pregnant' how do u give someone this kind of news?

Junsu answered instantly.

From: Dolphin Boy

R u serious hyung? This is good news. Just tell him

Jaejoong knew what he needed to do. He just didn't know how to. Feeling hopeless, he sent one last message to Junsu.

To: Dolphin Boy

I'm aware of that but how? This isn't something small 2 discuss

Jaejoong deleted the messages instantly when he heard Yunho's footsteps come from the bedroom. He didn't want Yunho to possibly see the text and get curious enough to see what Junsu and he were talking about.

Yunho wasn't the type to snoop but he had a curious mind like everyone else. Jaejoong just decided to keep his phone in his pocket so it wouldn't be noticed at all.

While they were eating they had chattered a bit more about work. At the dance school, Minzy and Boa were going to Incheon to see if they can look at opening a sister location for their school. At preschool, a little boy, nicknamed Ten, kissed a little girl, Minnie, and ended up gagging.

Once they had finished their dinner, Jaejoong headed off to take a shower while Yunho promised to take care if the dishes. When he went to the bathroom, he had taken his phone with him just in case. Jaejoong sent Junsu a good night text and that they’d continue this tomorrow.

Yunho was in bed already and the lights outside of the room were off. Jaejoong sat beside his boyfriend, placing his head on Yunho's shoulder. That position had come to be one of Jaejoong's favorites. He just loved being by Yunho's side.

Jaejoong felt Yunho take his hand and place a kiss on the back. He couldn't stifle the giggle. He loved the affectionate gestures. Where would he be without his funny, loving boyfriend?

"Joongie," Jaejoong turned to face Yunho who was staring at him. "I hope this never changes."

Jaejoong remembered the news he had planned on telling Yunho. He gulped, "What never changes?"

Yunho looked at Jaejoong lovingly and took Jaejoong's other hand, "I love the way we are right now, you know? Don't you?"

He felt sad all of sudden. Those words made him happy but the situation was bittersweet. Things were going to change when they had the baby and Yunho didn't want anything to change. What did this mean?

Jaejoong wanted to cry but he wouldn't dare do such a thing. He kept a shining smile on his face for Yunho.

"I love the way things are," Jaejoong agreed. He wanted to say something else, but he didn't let himself. "I don't want anything to change either."

Yunho leaned in and kissed Jaejoong's lips passionately. Though his emotions were anything but joy, Jaejoong let himself be engulfed by the kiss.

Jaejoong knew there was no way to tell Yunho now. With everything Yunho had told him he didn't even know if he wanted to tell his boyfriend. But he had to.

It wasn’t going to be tonight, but some other one.

"I love you, Joongie." Yunho whispered after he pulled away from the kiss. Their faces were only inches away.

How could he not love the man in front of him? Yunho was his everything. Even if it was his beloved making his heart hurt, how else should he react?

He loved Yunho.

"I love you too." Jaejoong replied back, still keeping a smile for Yunho. He really didn't want things to change. They were going to though.

That night as they fell asleep, Jaejoong felt restless. With Yunho's arms wrapped around his waist, Jaejoong couldn't feel anymore alone than he did now.

Without any clue due to him being in deep slumber, Yunho didn't know Jaejoong had placed his hands on his flat stomach. He wouldn't know why either as long as Jaejoong kept that secret to himself.

All the love Jaejoong had felt had been drained out just by five words Yunho had said.

Jaejoong realized this wasn't going to be easy.

 

 

~~~