MONDAY, JUNE 3RD 2019

Smoky Heart

 

He was staring deeply at the rings on display. Yunho had imagined this day, yet he didn't realize how time had passed.

Jaejoong and he had been together for a while now. They met in junior high and began dating during their sophomore year. Their friends had been happy and supportive of the couple.

Nothing in the world made sense until he met Jaejoong. Love didn't seem so perfect until he began dating the beautiful boy. It was in a short amount of time that Yunho knew there was no one for him if it wasn't Jaejoong.

They kept their relationship very discreet. Both of them promised to tell their parents after six months of dating had passed and they were considering committing to a real relationship. They let six months pass and a year pass.

Their confessions were given to their parents in their senior year.

It was the correct thing to do because Yunho's umma had been planning on setting Yunho up with her friends' daughter. None of those girls would have been perfect for him, regardless if he had met Jaejoong or not. He realized his true uality after meeting Jaejoong.

He was just delighted that the other felt the same.

They had been together for a while now which was why Yunho had been inspired to shop for an engagement ring. It had been the day before New Year's Eve when it had finally happened. Gay marriage had been legalized in South Korea. That night he promised Jaejoong he was going to marry him one day.

The day had finally come. And now Yunho was finding himself driving on a bumpy road.

"I don't know why people find it so hard to propose to the person they love," Yoochun was standing right there next to him. "It shouldn't be too hard."

Yunho turned to glare at his best friend, "And you haven't proposed to Junsu, why?" He looked back at the rings.

"Ugh, don't be moody." Yoochun didn't acknowledge the comment about him proposing to his boyfriend. "Why are you having ring trouble?"

Yunho gestured at the rings, "I want the perfect ring for Jae." Deep down in his soul, he believed Jaejoong deserved the world. "I don't want to screw this up."

Yoochun found this as no more than a joke. "Yeah, Jaejoong is going to hate you for the rest of your life if you don't get him the perfect ring," he said sarcastically.

"So you're going to propose to someone?" The young woman behind the desk beamed. She took out a display of rings with large, dazzling diamonds. "Diamonds are a girl's best friend."

Yoochun scoffed. Yunho glared at him again.

Yunho offered the woman a smile, "You've seen a ton of guys come in to do what I'm doing." He was looking for some advice on what to purchase. "What do you recommend?"

"Something you can't afford." Yoochun muttered under his breath as he eyed one with a big sapphire.

The young woman didn't pay attention to Yoochun, she picked out a gold ring with three diamonds, "All diamonds are cut into different shapes, that's something to consider."

All of a sudden there was a different set of rings the woman had taken out. Some of the diamonds were heart-shaped, square-shaped and oval-shaped. Some rings had a diamond and two other types of stones between it.

Shopping for an engagement ring couldn't be more difficult.

"Damn." Yunho cursed softly as he eyed each ring. His mission he had set for himself was to find the perfect one for Jaejoong.

Yoochun found this pretty amusing.

He wished he was with Junsu at the moment, but he didn't mind laughing and picking on his best friend right now.

 

~~~

 

"Damn it!" Jaejoong gawked at the sixth stick he had gotten out of the pregnancy test package. Each came with ten.

He had used six already. Six out of ten times he's resulted in having the same answer.

Positive.

"Jae, how long are you going to do this?" Junsu was outside of the bathroom door. He hadn't even gotten a peep out of Jaejoong the first time he had taken the pregnancy test.

Male pregnancies weren't uncommon, but a man had less of a chance of becoming pregnant than a woman. Doctors said home pregnancy tests should work the same for males and other people say they didn't.

Now Jaejoong was trying to figure out if the universe was being funny with him or not.

"I'll be out soon, Su!" It had been the fifth time Jaejoong had said that. Junsu likely wanted to break the door down.

Junsu threatened him, "I'm going to call Heechul hyung if you don't get out of the bathroom right now."

Nope.

Jaejoong might not want to deal with the reality of this but he unquestionably wasn't going to talk to his favorite cousin about this. He loved Heechul to death, but the cat-diva would babble about this and then there'd be a real problem.

It had been over three years since Yunho and he had been together. After they graduated high school, they had gotten an apartment together. They had made love times before and they always used a in case he would perchance get pregnant. Male pregnancy hospital tests cost money. Plus, they’d know if the ever broke.

Apparently not, Jaejoong thought as he recalled two weeks ago when Yunho and him had been making love.

His guess was that Yunho didn't know if the had broken. Jaejoong knew Yunho and he weren't the type to ignore something important as that. The had broken and now he was pregnant.

Jaejoong rose from where he sat on the toilet lid and opened the door. Junsu's impatient expression didn't make Jaejoong feel guilty.

"That was supposed to be a joke, you know?" Junsu stepped into the bathroom, eyeing the pregnancy tests on the counter. His eyes widened when he saw the two pink lines. "Jae..."

Jaejoong sat back down on the toilet seat, "I had purchased this because I myself realized what had been happening this past week."

He had thought it was a stomach bug at first. Being pregnant was the last idea he had. At the time he had thought the didn't break. Jaejoong felt senseless for not figuring it out earlier. Males withstood the same as females did when they were pregnant.

Nausea. Mood swings. Exhaustion. Food cravings.

"I guess all I can say is...Congratulations!" Junsu applauded happily as he crouched down to hug Jaejoong, who remained lifeless. Junsu observed this, "You aren't happy?"

Jaejoong placed his hands on his flat stomach, knowing he wouldn't feel anything yet, "I...I don't know how to feel, Su."

Junsu's worriedly wrapped an arm around Jaejoong's shoulders, "What's wrong, Jae?" He didn't like seeing his hyung sad. "There's a good side to this. Yunho and you love kids!"

Jaejoong exhaled, "It's not the fact that I'm pregnant that's bothering me, Su." He detached his hands from his stomach, "I'm more bothered about how Yunho is going to respond instead of how my body is going to change."

Junsu didn't understand why Jaejoong was worrying about how Yunho would react. He had known Yunho for a long time to learn what kind of person he was.

After years had passed, Junsu had come to the conclusion that Yunho was a kind-hearted gentleman. There was no way he was going to run from this. Junsu believed he'd bounce off the roof because of the news.

But Junsu knew that Jaejoong was well aware of that as well. Jaejoong wouldn't be with Yunho if he thought for a second that the love wasn't reciprocated. There was more that was bothering Jaejoong.

"I doubt Yunho is going to leave you, Jae," Junsu offered a sweet smile which didn't do much. Jaejoong's frown stayed. "There's more."

Jaejoong replied, "I...It wasn't that long ago when Yun had told his parents about us. They're still trying to get used to it. Now this? I...I don't know what they'll think."

Junsu rolled his eyes, "Yunho wouldn't ever listen to his parents if they unexpectedly didn't want him to see you."

"I know that, Su," Jaejoong eyeballed the pregnancy tests. This was no longer going to be the two of them, but three. "When you have a baby things change...I don't want anything to change between us."

Junsu's eyes widened, "You're not going to-"

"No, I wouldn't dare!" Jaejoong gasped at the thought of killing his own flesh and blood. "I'm just worried."

Maybe the mood swings are kicking in now, Junsu considered. "Don't worry about anything, Jae." Jaejoong just needed to worry about remaining stress-free. "You're not alone in this."

Jaejoong looked into Junsu's eyes. He did have family and friends who would be by his side if Yunho decided to stray from this path of theirs. Jaejoong prayed that it wouldn't come to that. He didn't want to say goodbye to the man he loved.

He grasped the one thing Junsu hadn't mentioned was that he'd need to tell Yunho this soon. Beads of sweat fell from his forehead at the thought.

There was much needed to be said.

 

 

~~~