5. So Cool

I Just

5. So Cool
I will make you just love me
You may not be able to close your pretty lips

Kang Younghyun

On my third day in Japan, I decided to try and rope Yoon Dowoon into the anime tour Jaehee mentioned last night. The kid agrees and is in general was a perfect tour guide, mainly because he knows his anime stuff. He was also amusing and easy to be friends with. After lunch, I ask him about Jaehee's university errands today.
"Jae-hyung mentioned that noona has a lecture to attend in the university until 4 in the afternoon." As if reading my mind, he offers to bring me there after another visit to Animate.

And here we are, but with another guy in tow. Junmyeon, he's called. Jaehee's work colleague who I probably heard from Wonpil but never really cared to remember. I suddenly realize that Lee Jaehee, a woman of confidence, intelligence, and beauty, is single by choice. That, not unlike me, she enjoyed being on her own and did not require romantic ties to be called conventionally happy. That I've somehow taken for granted the fact that she's always been single, so I didn't imagine any rivals such as Park Jaehyung or this guy.

Park Jaehyung who has a six months advantage over myself. And this sunbae who is just blatantly flirting with Jaehee. Just when I finally decided to make a move, I realize that I might be a tad too late. But I got a month, and I don't plan to just standby. Up the ante and hope we can make the transition to being friends, then cross the line when the timing’s right.

We finally arrive at the bus stop, and Jaehee and this Junmyeon has an annoying spark going on between them. He decides to leave, and she stays for dinner with me since Yoon Dowoon was smart enough to understand the imaginary daggers I was shooting at him. I thank the kid and watch him take the bus, finally leaving me alone with her.
In the silence that followed, she watches Dowoon's bus go while I allow myself to look at her face. Her hair's up in a ponytail today, and I spot the mole above her left eye, which probably often goes unnoticed because of her glasses. She looks up at me and I try to maintain the eye contact. She's the one who looks away, as she often does. Finally I break the silence. "So Jaehee-yah, where to?"
As if refusing to meet my eyes, she observes the passing cars and pedetrians. "It's just almost 5pm, but do you have any particular dinner place in mind?
"How about those ramen restaurants that people fall in line for?"
She considers this. "Well, by the time we're in, we'll be properly hungry already. So, sure, I know a place."
"I love that you know how much I love food, you know."
She chuckles, which made me smile too. “You're overreacting, Mr. Kang. Let's go.”

The walk to the ramen restaurant was quite long, but I didn't mind walking alongside her in this fair weather. It's not yet quite spring, as if winter wanted to stay for a bit more. She tells me anecdotes of her grad school life, and I share my stories as a team leader in the marketing and sales department. The past two years were good on both of us. She seemed more esteemed about herself, more sure about what she wants, all of which translates to this glow that I can't seem to take my eyes off of. I've been staring at her animated expressions so much, I almost trip a few times. Half an hour later, we arrive at the establishment's queue, around 5 groups in front of us.

 

Lee Jaehee

"We're here early and yet there's a line already, huh?" Younghyun and I arrive at the restaurant, with quite a number of people ahead of us in line.
"Yeah, but this queue is actually short already. We'll probably be inside in less than 30 minutes."
He looks so abashed at this information, and I chuckle and reach to pat his shoulder (The man is freaking tall). "It'll be worth it, I promise."
Suddenly, there's a mischievous glint in his eyes, and he suddenly raises his pinky finger, with a grin that's probably supposed to annoy me. I blink several times and look from his hands to his face and back at his hands again. "Are you a kid? Is Wonpil somewhere inside you?" Sometimes I forget that they are related. "What's with people and pinky promises lately?" Jae did this last night too.

Younghyun pouts like a kid, and brings down his hand very slowly. I roll my eyes, audibly sigh, and lift my hands to form half of the pinky swear he was holding up. “Fine.” We hook our pinky fingers together, and I can't help but ask, “What is this for again?”

He holds our connected hands a bit higher, a bit longer, and he's just looking straight at me, who's reflecting the childish grin he's sporting. “A promise of good food ,should always be stamped like this.” He winks, then adjusts our hands so that our thumbs will 'seal' the promise. He then releases our hands.

Over the past three years, my crush in Younghyun has waned and waxed like the moon. It especially intensifies every time I see him in person. And while Wonpil kept on talking about his beloved hyung over the past two years, I kept a healthy amount of interest. He is a good looking, charming smartass who probably had girls fawning for him. Whenever I try to fish Younghyun's dating status from Piri, he instantly lights up, confirms that Younghyun is single, and uses that as a chance to practically fanboy over how compatible we are.
“Jaehee, when are you going to date my perfect hyung?” It was one of our Skype sessions, and I have been in Japan for almost a year.
“You literally just complained at how annoying he is, like a few minutes ago?”
Wonpil blew air in his cheeks and pouts. “That is not the point of this conversation anymore. Besides, he just really loves to annoy me. Anyway. Date Younghyun already! You like him, right?”
I rolled my eyes at him, in exasparation at this endless persisting of what he had called the YoungHee ship. Ugh. “Let me correct you, okay? First of all, I only have a crush on him. Get your facts straight. Second of all, how am I supposed to date him when I'm here in Japan. Why do you insist on me dating your hyung anyway? Go find a hobby or something.”
It was Piri's turn to be exasparated. He stood up, stepped back, raised his both hands and choppped them down as he said each word: “Because. You. Are. Perfect. For. Each. Other!" He then sits down, seemingly satisfied at the point he's made. "Promise me that I'll be the wedding singer, okay?”
I hung my mouth open in disbelief. “Are you even listening to me? Why are you freaking planning a wedding already?”
Wonpil just heartily laughs in response and started singing Crush's Beautiful Life, which he knew was a wedding song choice of mine.

As much as I appreciate my best friend as a supportive ship captain, the fact remains that I was in Japan for a good two years. I already did a long-distance relationship once, and I don't plan on doing that again. But then now that my Japan exile is coming to an end, it seems like the universe, probably annoyed into action by Wonpil, has decided to test the moon trend - that maybe I could try to look at the man beside me, and welcome the possible reignited attraction.

The trailer for the latest film in the Marvel cinematic universe was released while we were in the line. I was instantly giddy with excitement, and once he understood what the fuss was about, we were both grinning. We watch the trailer four times, and then launch an intense discussion on the implications of scenes, the easter eggs in those several minutes of preview, of theories. Being the comic fan between the two of us, Younghyun provides insights based on the source materials, and I watch in fascination as he pulls details from memory, and creates possible scenarios.

We don't notice the time, and the next thing we knew, we are seated in a table facing each other. He orders two different ramen bowls, and then a katsudon, to be served once he says so to maintain the freshness (besides, all of these won't fit our little table). I raise a fascinated eyebrow, almost forgetting how much of a big eater he is. I briefly wonder about his workout regime, given that he looks fit enough despite this huge appetite. He just smiles and gestures for me to order, and goes back to reading the menu. I order a bowl of ramen and a plate of gyoza.

I was watching him peruse the menu in earnest. He suddenly shift his eyes to look at me, and we make eye contact. The way he stares will always be unnverving, but this time I try to fight it off with pursed smile. He smirks, and puts down the menu board. This is probably the longest that we've held eye contact, which is a feat for my introvert self. Younghyun's eyes are as captivating as they are intensely unnerving. I try not to look away, but then he props his right elbow on the table and places his chin over his hands and I lose focus for a few moments. I raise an eyebrow at this gesture, and I try to return whatever it is he's giving off. "Do you actually need those glasses, Younghyun?"

He smiles, perhaps amused. "Nah, but they look good on me, yes?" I answer honestly this time. "Yeah, they do."

I lose the staring contest, and shift my eyes to look at the wall painting above out table. I can still feel his eyes on me, and what he says next catches back my attention.

"So, Jaehee-yah. Did you ever date him?" His expression changes, losing the smile.

"You're just gonna jump the gun, are you? Are you sure you just became friends with Dowoon today?"

"Most of the time, I ask direct questions when I am extremely curious about something." He leans a little bit closer. "So, did you date that sunbae before?"

"Hmm." I ponder on what kind of information to give. "Junmyeon has the ability to make anyone special. I had a bit of crush on him before, and maintaning eye contact with him is both a pleasure and a chore." I could say the same about you, actually.

Younghyun scrunches his nose very briefly, I almost miss it. "That was too descriptive and yet it did not answer my question."

A smirk crosses my face at the indirect demand of a direct response. I oblige. "Junmyeon's nice and we're friends. But he's got this on-off girlfriend and he's a flirt, as you have witnessed. So no thanks, not gonna dip into that again."

"You did like him though? He's being too serious about this conversation, that stare might as well drill a hole into my head so he could scoop the answers he wanted.

A bit flustered at the intensity of his peering eyes, I clear my throat. "Yeah, as I've mentioned, I had a huge crush on him for a while. He's smart, has just recently gotten his PhD. But I kept my distance because he's taken and all that. We're just friends now. My crushes usually don't last long." But you seem to be an exception to the rule, Kang Younghyun.

The topic is suddenly interrupted by the arrival of our respective ramen bowls, the katsudon, and the gyoza plate. As self-proclaimed ramen enthusiasts, both of our attention instantly shifts.
He stands up to take a flatlay photo of our table.
"So you love food and photography huh?"
He sits down and grins widely. "Jaehee, travel is about going around and eating good food!" I laugh at how even his travel philosophy is centered on food. "Also, I just like to take photos of what I like." He then points his phone's rear camera at me, and asks, "Jaehee-yah, can I take your photo with the food?"
It feels like something has gone over my head, and I just nod in response.
"I'm going to send these photos to Wonpil and make sure he's green with envy." A fake evil laugh, that's so ing adorable and childish, I can only laugh as well.
I pick up my chopsticks, and Younghyun's suddenly speaking too fast. "Canwetakeaselfietoo?"
"What?"
He extends his right arm with his phone in hand, and I immediately understand what he was trying to say. We both smile and he takes so much photos.
"Can we eat now, Sire?"
He nods. He's smiling so widely.
"Itadakimasu!"

 

Kang Younghyun

For the most part of the dinner, we ate in comfortable silence. I resurface from my ramen bowl every now and then to give praise, to which she just smugly says, "I told you, food here's great. I take promises seriously."
Jaehee finishes her ramen while I eat the katsudon and my second ramen.
"Eat slowly, will you?" She reprimands me, while picking up a gyoza. "No one's gonna steal your food, Younghyun."
I smile sheepishly in reponse. "Since I still have these to finish, maybe we could finalize your tour guiding schedule?"
She nods and takes out her notebook and pen. "You said yesterday that I have full control of the itinerary, right?"
I hum a yes while slurping the noodles.
"No budget restrictions?"
I shake my head while taking a bite of the tonkatsu.
"I still have my excel files of my trips, I'll customize them then send it to you tomorrow."
I sip some water. "You're busy tomorrow?"
"Yeah, today's lecture was sort of last minute and I badly need to have some progress with my packing. And then I have another appointment the next day. I'll see you Monday."
"Do you need help with the packing?"
"Nah, I work better alone. And the state of my apartment will apall you."
"Let me know though, if you need a hand."
She smiles at this, and then looks at her notebook again. "For tomorrow, you can do a food crawl. I'll send you a list and you can choose from there."
"Sounds perfect."

After dinner, we split the bill. She insisted on paying half, while I insisted on paying for everything. We compromised on paying for what we ordered.
Standing on the curb outside the restaurant, I make an attempt to extend the night out with her.
"Jaehee-yah."
"Hmm?"
"Dessert?"
She instantly lights up."Sure!"
We enter a café, and I order iced coffee while she orders a parfait. I hand my card to the cashier and tell Jaehee it's on me. She thanks me and lets me know that she'll find us a table. I finish paying and find her seated by the window, transfixed on the busy street outside. I sit at our table and place her order in front of her.
"You okay?"
As if breaking a daydream, she jolts a bit and turns to me, smiling softly. "I'm fine. It's just that, I will really miss this place and my life here."
"You still have three months left, right? I volunteer my month so that you can make the most out of it." This makes her laugh. "You speak as if I'm not planning things for you."
"You love the planning process though. Or am I imposing on you...?" I belatedly realize that while I'm on a mission here, she has a lot of things on her plate.
"Oh my gosh, that's not what I meant. Relax, Younghyun. I am grateful that I get to tour around a bit more before I leave." There's that soft smile again, before she shifts to a grin. "And at someone else's travel expense, why will I complain?"
"Well, if we're going to trace back who to thank, it's probably Wonpil."
"I agree, he did manage to finally get us on a date.” There are a lot of implications in that sentence, but I focus on the most important one for now. I take my chances with: "So Jaehee, this is a date?"
Jaehee pauses, realizing what she had said. She leans back in her chair and crosses her arms. "Kang Younghyun, it is not in my nature to assume more than I am told." This is probably why that Jaehyung never had progress with Jaehee huh.
I can almost see her build a wall of defensei backtrack a little bit. "But then again, it's not as if it's a date only if you say so too. It should be mutual. For me, this is a date. How about for you, Jaehee?" Trying to sound as casual as I could is hard, especially if the rest of my trip could hinge on her next words.
Jaehee uncrosses her arms, and relaxes. She contemplates while I look at her through the mirror. "I think this counts as a date. A proper first date, perhaps?" She blushes but maintains her composure. "A date set up all the way from Korea, from a certain Kim Wonpil?"
"Well, he had a hand in finally making this happen, but I did fly all the way here to see you so maybe I can take a bit of credit?"
She flicks an eyebrow up. "You came all the way here to see me?"
It's my turn to blush at my slip, but I keep a smirk just so I can hold on to this interesting conversation and see where it goes. "Well, you and the other beautiful things Japan has to offer."
She almost chokes on her water. And we laugh it off like old friends.

An hour of conversation later, she looks at her watch and sees the time. "Should we go home?"
"Yeah, sure." I pull an excuse out of thin air and say, "but I actually forgot to give Dowoon something, so I'll take you back home."
She squints her eyes in suspicion. "That is a whole lot of effort for Dowoon."
I raise my hands in surrender. "Fine, I just wanted to extend this date a bit more and at the same time make sure you get home safe. Is that a more proper excuse, Madame?"
She stifles a laugh. "A perfectly acceptable reason, Mr. Kang. I prefer it if you're honest. Let's go, you'll need to catch the train back after you drop me off."

All through the walk to the station, the train ride, and the walk to her residence, we talked, laughed, and took photos. If this is what every date with Jaehee feels like, I probably should've taken Wonpil's advice a long time ago.

Passing by the nearby convenience store, we hear a familar voice.
"Hey Jae!"

Oh come on!