13. Hunt

I Just

13. Hunt
Baby don't think of going anywhere
Don't think of running away

Kang Younghyun

In the eight days since I arrived in Tokyo, Park Jaehyung has managed to interrupt every single date I had with Jaehee, in one way or another. And today, he’s brought an all-star team as support, while all I have is my brother who is already distracted by the enemy. I kept being dragged away from Jaehee, while Jae closes the distance that Jaehee built the past few days, all in a matter of a few minutes. This definitely says a lot about their friendship. And I refuse to call it anything else. 

We all ended up having dinner together, and it was uneventful, up until a dessert for Jaehee, courtesy of Jae, was served. She lit up in sweet tooth happiness and shared it with my brother, and then the rest of us. 

And then finally, Wonpil asked something contributory to the pairing he was supposed to play a captain for. “So how was the second date, my YoungHee ship?” 

This causes Jaehee to pause chewing and stare at Wonpil, mouth full of mochi. He just grins at her, and then turns to me for an answer. I smirk, and reply, “Well, I don't think today's just the second date. We’ve been cooped up in your apartment yesterday until this morning, should we tally that as well?” 

Wonpil hangs his mouth open, and Jaehee lifts his chin to close it. She swallows the dessert, pats with a tissue, and says, “Whatever you’re thinking Kim Wonpil, that didn’t happen.”

Jaehee then abruptly turns to me, the subtle anger in her face directed at me. “And you, Mr. Kang.” I tilt my head in response, quite aware of the annoying pursed smile I have on. She continues, “Please tell your stories properly. Yesterday and this morning are two separate occasions, no sleepovers in between. Besides, is there really a need to count, Younghyun-ssi?” 

I briefly wondered why she had to clarify it, but I maintain my confidence and let it spill. “Every moment counts when I’m with you, Jaehee,” I say with a cheesy smile, bobbing my eyebrows up and down. 

Jaehee rolls her eyes and scoffs with a smile, while I feel the rest of the table cringe. Well, except for Wonpil who I can hear giggling even if I don’t look at him. She drinks her peach iced tea, and Wonpil talks in her stead. “Besides, Jaehee, I can literally enumerate, using all of my fingers, the amount of romantic dates you've been to since you became single. As your best friend, it is my duty to keep count.”

 She puts down her glass and shifts to turn her body towards Wonpil.  "Yah, what do you mean I didn't date for the past four years? Junmyeon sunbae barely counts, that I admit. But Cho Kyuhyun, the guy who works as civil servant for the visually impaired office, was a genuinely good catch. Too bad he had to serve in the military before any spark caught fire." 

I can only see Pil’s face now, so I peek at the rest of the group. Sungjin has a small, amused smile even if he’s overly focused on finishing his ramen’s soup. Dowoon is scrolling through his phone. Jaehyung is intently and softly gazing at Jaehee, and for an instant, our eyes meet. We give each other a small nod and he returns to watching Wonpil and Jaehee bicker, and I do the same. 

Wonpil also now has his torso turned 45 degress towards Jaehee. "That one from way back in 2015? You brat, you only mentioned going out with him once! Lee Jaehee, I'm your bestfriend, I'm supposed to know everything about you!" 

"In 2015?” I thought, “Ah, the one she ditched my birthday for.” 

"Kim Wonpil, we're both adults, I don't need your permission to date, okay?"

"You know that’s not what I mean, young lady. But you could have at least shared this to me! You always skimp on the juicy details! Anyway, speaking of, he's probably out now." 

"That is none of your business, my dear friend. I've proved my point, I'm not entirely a dating illiterate. Next topic!"

Dowoon raises his hands, as if asking permission to speak up. Jaehee laughs at his gesture, looking at him fondly. “Yes, Dowoon-ah?”

“According to the news, the sakura trees are blooming starting tomorrow, should we schedule the hanami you mentioned yesterday?”

“Ah yes!” Jaehee claps her hands together. "Piri-yah," Jaehee calls him as she pats a tissue onto the corner of his lips, "do you and the girls have any plans for the day after tomorrow?"

"On Friday? I don't think we have anything reserved. I actually need to talk to you about our Tokyo itineraries."

"Let's talk about the tour guiding later. You want to come with us to hanami on Friday?” 

“A hanami?"

"Literally flower watching, but it's usually a picnic. We can go to either Yoyogi park or Shinjuku Gyoen and just hang out. I'll cook food. And then we can tour some place in the afternoon.”

Wonpil nods enthusiastically, punctuated by his usual gummy smile. “Sure!” 

Dowoon adds, “Sungjin-hyung and I will also bring food. Jaehee noona let's decide tomorrow on who cooks what.” Jaehee nods and takes another bite of the dessert.

Jae then speaks up, reaching across the table to pat her cheeks with a tissue, “I'll help you with the cooking preparations, Jaehee-yah.” Jaehee isn’t caught offguard like I expected her to be, and mutters, “Thank you, Jae.” 

“Jaehee-yah,” I call for her, and she turns to me. “I'll also help. I've been learning to cook for some time now.” 

“You’re not going with Piri on tour tomorrow?” she asks. 

“If your question is who I prefer between you and my brother, the answer should be obvious already. I haven’t seen you in two years, I’m making every moment count, remember?” 

Jaehee frowns at me, "You really should do your vacation properly. Watching me make a mess in the kitchen is hardly a good idea of a sabbatical." 

I hold her stare and say as seriously as I can, "Wherever you are is always the better option, Jaehee.”

 

We leave the restaurant at half past six, and decide to return home. Wonpil's sleeping over at Jaehee's and they apparently need time to catch up. I made it a point to stick to Jaehee no matter what, while Wonpil loops an arm through each of Jae’s and Sungjin’s and drags them away. I see the youngest scratch his head and follow his hyungs. 

When Jaehee lifts her head from her phone, the four boys are quite far down the fairly crowded street. “Let’s go, Jaehee?” I ask, and stepped from the curb, onto the sidewalk. 

A few paces down the road, we pass through a convenience store. As if we’re set on synchronized mode, we turn to each other with grins on our faces. “Ice cream?” I ask. “Ice cream!” she answers. “Okay! I’ll text Wonpil and let them go home first. We are still on a date, after all,” I add. 

After paying at the cashier, we sit at the stools facing the street. “You look so happy with just that an ice cream, Jaehee,” I comment. 

“You’re also smiling, Younghyun,” she retorts.

“Why wouldn’t I be smiling? I enjoyed today, too much, actually, that I missed the timing to tell you something.” 

She only hums in response, and I let her finish her cone before I continued. 

“Jaehee,” I start, waiting for her to look at me. When she does, I reached my hands towards her shoulders, and turn her to face me. She’s surprised but is nevertheless holding my gaze. 

I continue, “Maybe it's weird to say that I like you as more than my brother's best friend, as more than a friend. But I think I do, and for quite a while now. I never had the courage back home because by the time I was sure, you were leaving already, and it was too much of a déjà vu that I got frozen in my tracks.” 

Her eyes widen and her lips start to part, as if to reply, but I move my hands from her shoulders to her wrists, interrupting her thoughts. She looks at her wrists, and then I slide it further to envelope my hands over hers. Jaehee then raises her head, and peers at me with confused eyes. 

I smile at her before speaking again. “I thought that maybe we could be friends first so we could get to know each other more. But obviously that doesn't work on you. Case in point, is your neighbor-hoobae. Anyway, maybe just don't run away from me too much is all I ask? I like you, Lee Jaehee, and I do want to get to know you more.” 

“Younghyun,” she begins. 

“You owe me two more dates and a tour for the dashing distraction I delivered, Jaehee.” 

She smiles, and it might be my imagination, but I feel her grip my hands for a fleeting second.

"Okay,” she replies.

 

Kim Wonpil

It was a fun and interesting day, even if tiring and a bit odd. Seeing Jaehee after two years was a happy feeling, and I even got to meet her friends without me stubbornly insisting her to introduce me to them. 

After dinner, I go out on a limb to give Jaehee and Younghyun-hyung some space. We ended up walking ahead of my almost couple, Dowoon and Sungjin leading the way. Beside me, Jae coughs, probably to get my attention. 

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Wonpil.” He smiles at me, and I stop myself before blurting out a compliment about his eyes. Instead I reply, “The honor is mine, Jae. Can I call you by that name?”

Jae nods, “Sure, that’s what everyone else calls me.” He then takes a deep breath, and meets my eyes, “Wonpil?” I raise an eyebrow in response, urging him to continue. 

He exhales loudly and then looks at me. “You know that I like Jaehee, right?” I nod, trying to hide my surprise with a gentle smile. He carries on, “It was only Jaehee who played blind to my intentions. Even you, all the way from Korea, knew my feelings for her.” Jae pauses to look at me, and I give him a sympathetic smile. “So, does Younghyun like her?”  

Astonished at Jae’s straightforwardness, I return the favor even if he’s my hyung’s rival. “You know Jae, Younghyun-hyung never really told me that outright, but I assume and am 101% sure that he's been harboring feelings for her for years now.” 

“So why did he never act on it?” 

“He had his own issues, Jae.” 

Jae hums to take that information in. Then he announces, “Did you know that I liked her immediately?” 

“You did? Like love at first sight?” 

“That’s one way to call it.” 

“Jae, why are you telling me this?” 

“Wonpil you're Jaehee’s best friend. I just want to let you know that my feelings for her are sincere and I want to make her happy.” 

“It's not up to me, Jae.” 

“I know. And you're the support team of the competition. But you're also very important to Jaehee.” 

“You're a good guy, Jae.”

“I hope Jaehee thinks the same thing, and more.” Jae smiles, a mix of hope and sadness in it.

He then looks behind, craning his neck to look for Younghyun and Jaehee. As if on cue, I receive a message from my hyung: “Do me a favor and go back home ahead of us, Pil?” I smirk and type in reply, “This is your captain speaking, your commands have been received. Consider it done.” 

Jae apparently sees me smiling to myself, because he asks, “What are you smiling about Wonpil?” 

“Hyung said that we should go ahead home and not wait for them,” I respond. 

“Oh.” He contemplates what to say, and then he finally speaks. We’re at the train station entrance now. “Wonpil, I will make sure that this is the last opportunity he’s gonna get.” 

I grin at him, excited at the issued challenge. “Once again Jae, it’s not just up to you.”

“Watch me, Wonpil.” He smirks, and we all go home.