12. Pandora

I Just

12. Pandora

Even when you are with me now
You are looking somewhere else
Even when I say "I love you"
You just respond with a laugh

 

Kim Wonpil

"Be at Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden by 4 PM, okay? Meet us at the Shinjuku Entrance. Use google maps, you're an adult you can do it. Good luck!"

That was everything my precious brother told me this morning. He sounded fairly excited for his excursion with Jaehee, even if it meant leaving me to fend for my own as I travel to a foreign country and check-in to our hotel and figure out how to go to their date spot. I somehow make it, right on time. Japan has a very efficient transport system.

"What are you doing here!" Jaehee asks as I embrace her tightly. She lets go first, her arms now limping by her sides as I still hug her, swinging the both of us left and right, left and right. "I missed you so much, Jaehee-yah," I whisper before letting her go.

Jaehee takes a step back, her hands on my waist. I watch her eyes scan me from my head to my outfit, to my shoes, and she finally says, “You look good, Piri-yah.”

Smiling widely, I take her right hand and lift it above her head. She immediately asks, “what do you want me to do?” I twist her hand a bit and she finally understands, and twirls around slowly. She smiles smugly at first and instantly regrets it, taking back her hand and covering her face. “I can’t believe I let you do that to me in public.” I chuckle a bit and hold down her wrists before saying, “You look really pretty, Jaehee-yah. Blooming, even.”

Younghyun-hyung then paces forward and waves at me. “Hey Wonpil.”

"Hey there, Younghyun-hyung!” I embrace him, and he reciprocates it with a couple of pats to my back. I then take a step back to look at my brother and my best friend, now standing side by side. My smile grows wider and I finally spill what I’ve been meaning to ask since I got here, “So are you and Jaehee a couple yet or what?" I then giggle as my commentary earns two different reactions: hyung mouths a most probably sarcastic “wow” and shakes his head, while Jaehee widens her eyes and then gives a threatening smile. 

My dear brother finally responds, but does not answer my query. "Hey Wonpil, I missed you too. I was hoping you'd take your time getting lost on the way here, but here you are.” Younghyun then leans down to Jaehee’s height, and she flinches a bit but meets his eyes nonetheless, even if with a raised eyebrow. He pseudo-whispers to Jaehee, loud enough for me to hear, “Sorry our date had to be interrupted by my brother, but I think the surprise was worth it.” She makes a small smile and he resumes a normal standing posture. “Thank you again, Younghyun.”

He once again whispers to her ear, but this time I can’t hear it. Jaehee exclaims once Younghyun-hyung finishes. “That many? Doesn’t today count yet? Let’s talk about this later, okay?”

A bit sad that they seemed to have forgotten about my presence already, I do a loud “ehem” to get their attention."I’d love to be part of your little secret right now, but I still have stories to tell so just dish that out later, okay?

Anyway. Jaehee-yah, can you believe that my traitor of a hyung let me figure out how to get to this spot -- On. My. Own? He was so excited for your date today that he only sent me the address of our hotel and this park."

She just laughs at my frantic storytelling but nevertheless pats my hair and says,"I'm proud of you Kim Wonpil!"

Younghyun-hyung just shrugs at me as he asks, “So Pil, did you do that thing with the plane’s window?”

Jaehee knits her eyebrows at me, and I expound. “So this hyung told me that I can open the plane’s window so that I can touch and taste the clouds.”

“And?" A smile begins to form on her lips but she puts a hand over it.

"But the windows don't open, and when I tried, the lady beside me just looked at me weird…" I pout, and then I finally understand that my hyung was messing with me. "Ah hyung!!!" I whine, "None of that was true, wasn't it?" I cross my arms and put my angry face on. The almost couple starts laughing and after a couple of seconds, I join them.

"Ah, Wonpil, I missed you," they say in unison. This makes Younghyun look at her and smile softly, while she laughs at bit more at my naivete.

From my line of vision, a group of three Korean men approaches us. They seem familiar. Too familiar.

"Jaehee noona?" One of them tentatively says as they near our reunion circle. Jaehee's eyes widen and turns around. "Dowoon? And Sungjin. And," she pauses, "hey there Jae."

Younghyun-hyung doesn't budge from his spot beside Jaehee as he also turns to face the surprise visitors. He then removes a hand from his pocket and hovers it over the small of her back. I watch him second-guess his intention and quickly replaced his hand to his pocket as Jaehee, who was facing Team Japan, stepped back to stand beside me. I drape my arms across her and grasp her shoulder, in an attempt to calm her down. Hyung follows suit, choosing to stand beside Jaehee. The both of us exchange looks as the trio settles in front of us.

My dear hyung speaks first, a half-whisper that everyone could hear. "Guess our date's really over now huh, Jaehee?" I can imagine him grimacing.

Jaehee ignores him. The one with a very deep voice comments, "Fancy meeting you here noona and Younghyun-hyung. And…?"

"Ah, yes, this is Wonpil," Jaehee says as she taps my hand that was on her shoulder, signalling that she's okay and I can drop it now. "You all know him in one way or another. My bestfriend in Korea and all that." We bow and greet each other as Jaehee introduced us.

I know who's who in Team Japan from the photos. I sometimes talk to Jae when I video-call with Jaehee and he's in the vicinity. Dowoon is a same-age friend who I game and chat with often.

It's my first time meeting Sungjin in any form. He is as charming as the photos portray. "You have such beautiful eyes," I tell him as I stare into them.

"Woah there, Wonpil." It's now Jaehee's turn to drape an arm around me. She taps my upper arm several times and says, "Sungjin, this is Wonpil. He's just a dork like this, but he sincerely meant that compliment." She removes her hand as I give her a quick apprehending glance, and I interject before she adds more insult. "I've heard great things about you, Sungjin-hyung. It's nice to finally meet the man who can get through Jaehee's thick and stubborn head."

Sungjin laughs a bit and replies, "And you're as quirky as they say."

Standing next to Sungjin is Dowoon. "Hi Don!" I was genuinely happy to finally meet him in person. He smiles back and waves, and then suddenly I understand why and how they're here at such a convenient time. "Yah, you had ulterior motives when you helped me in navigating around!" He just shrugs with pursed smile and says, "Glad to know that you arrived here safe and sound, Pil."

I look at Jae next and he's just trying and failing not to stare at Jaehee. "Hi Jae," I start, and he reluctantly shifts his attention to me. "I didn't expect to meet you here so soon. But hello!!!" He just responds, "Hey Wonpil, how was the flight?"

I've been in Tokyo for only less than 8 hours and this is the drama I come to. I bet Younghyun-hyung's glad that I'm here to back him up.

 

Park Sungjin

I would've preferred if we came here with a battle plan, but alas, we didn't have any. When we joined their reunion circle, the surprise in Jaehee's face was evident. Younghyun's had a semi-permanent lowly arched eyebrow during the whole exchange of greetings between us and the new guy Wonpil, Jaehee observed everyone but Jae, and Jae just can't stop looking at her.

Wonpil shares an anecdote about trying to open the plane’s window and we all laugh. Jaehee finally looks at Jae and the smile that they share seems to propel Jae to talk to her.

“Hey Jae, long time no see,” Jae says  as he lifts the bridge of his eyeglasses a bit higher.

Jaehee briefly perks up an eyebrow and releases what seems to be a bated breath. She then smirks as she responds, “Hey Jae, what are you talking about, it's only been a few days.”

Jae’s facial expression lights up. It can’t be more obvious that he’s glad that she’s responding to him. He smirks back, and says, “Jaehee-yah, I can't help it, I like you.”

A myriad of reaction flows through the group. Jaehee chokes on nothing and proceeds to coughing. Next to Jae, Dowoon audibly snickers while I couldn’t help but silently smirk. From the other side, Wonpil breaks into a smile and then suppresses his laugh with a fist, craning his neck to watch for his hyung's expression. Younghyun just stares at Jae as he visibly clenches his jaw, which was broken when Jaehee started coughing. He looks at her and lifts a hand to pat her back, and she just raises her own and tells him, “I’m fine, Younghyun.”

Seconds later, Jaehee regains composure and meets Jae’s eyes. "Okay, Jaehyung. Thank you for the information."

Jae pouts and says, "I'm not kidding though."

Her eyes widen and threatens him, "Stop that, Park Jaehyung, or else I’ll run away.”

“I’ll chase you, then.” Is no one gonna stop this Jae train? is what I thought, and apparently so did Jaehee. “Oh my god Jae. What the---"

Jae laughs heartily in response. “Alright, I’ll stop.”

She rolls her eyes and asks, “Anyway, why are the three of you here?"

"Just veeery randomly walking around beautiful Tokyo," Jae answers on our behalf.

"Randomly, huh?" It was Jaehee and Younghyun, but while she said it laced with playful doubt, the latter had more venom in it.

"Yes, Jaehee-yah, randomly. No underhanded motive whatsoever.” Jae then shrugs before continuing, “It's just 4 PM, how about we do an early tour for Wonpil and Younghyun someplace nearby, and then get dinner?"

"That's a great idea, hyung," Dowoon says in support.

"What do you think, Pil?" Jaehee asks Wonpil.

"I actually have two more friends arriving tomorrow morning, and I think we're going around Tokyo. How about we have an early dinner instead?"

"They're coming too?" Jaehee says excitedly. Wonpil nods, mirroring her joyful expression. He then shifts to straight face and sternly tells her, "And I'm sleeping over at yours, Jaehee. I need to know everything, okay?" Then he smiles softly at her, patting Jaehee's head which leans on his shoulder in affirmation.

Younghyun finally speaks. "So dinner, then? Any recommendations?"

"How about ramen?" Jaehee says as she lifts her head from Wonpil's shoulder to look at Younghyun, who reacts first. "Ramen again? We just had that the other day?"

"That was Korean INSTANT ramyeon, Mr. Kang."

He smirks, and then draws a long pondering hum. He then says, "But we also had ramen last Friday? The one we had on our first date?"

Wonpil whispers, "Ah, that one." At the same time, Jaehee closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, in quick succession. When she opens then, and turns to him. "Woah, THE Kang Younghyun has a designated quota on the number of ramen one  in can consume in a week?"

"I didn’t say that --," Younghyun begins, but is interrupted by Dowoon. "Yeah, yeah, we get it you ate together a lot of times recently. Wonpil-hyung, what do you want to eat, you’re the newest tourist here."

Wonpil scratches the back of his ear and replies, "I actually would like to have ramen." The rest of the group nods in agreement, and Dowoon exclaims, "Ramen it is! We’re gonna have to fall in line for a long time, so let’s go!"

The youngest drags Younghyun by the arm, walking him away from Jaehee. He asks the flustered stranger, "Will you treat me to food, hyung?" Younghyun nods with a smile despite himself.  Dowoon does have that effect on people.

Wonpil then stands beside me and says, "Take the lead, Sungjin-hyung!" This Wonpil is looking too intensely at me, I could only reply with, "Why me?"

Dowoon, sounding exasperated, looks back at the group and says, "Let's just go, hyuuuung." He then walks towards Younghyun’s side and initiates a conversation, leading him to follow me and Wonpil. The two Jaes are left at the far end of the line.

We didn’t have any battle plan, but that was a damn good start.

 

Park Jaehyung

I figured that I might as well take advantage of the opportunity that Dowoon has kindly given me.

When we arrived in front of Shinjuku Gyoen, she was the first one I saw, and I feel a slight pang in my chest with the way they were standing so closely together. There's also a new guy, probably Wonpil, who spotted us first.

I stand in front of her and took her in, and realized that it's only been three days and yet I already missed her. She consciously avoided any eye contact with me, and when we finally shared that laugh, our eyes finally meet, a moment where we both understood that we're still friends. I finally got to talk to her without any awkwardness, but I didn't let her forget that conversation we had on that rooftop. She received it differently this time - in playful annoyance in attempt to hide that flustered emotion. Compared to not being taken seriously,  I'll take this reaction any day.

We all walk to the train station, three pairs in their own conversations. I purposely slow down my pace, and Jaehee glances at me as if to ask why.

"Hey Jae?" I start. She hums in response. I continue, "Remember my amazing speech at the rooftop? I told you that you didn't have to respond right away. So can we please get back to normal? We're still friends, right?"

Jaehee smiles at me, seemingly relieved. "Yes we are still friends, Jae. And sure, whatever normal means. Just give me a bit more time to process everything, okay?"

"Of course," I smile back at her, patting her head. Suddenly she trips, and I hold her hand to prevent her from falling. "Thanks, Jae," she says, laughing a bit to herself.

"Where did you even trip on, Jaehee?"

"You've known me for half a year now, you're still asking that?"

I just shrug at her, and watch her realize that I'm still holding her hand. She raises it and asks, "Mr. Park, I'm not gonna trip anymore, I'd like this back please?"

"Jaehee-yah, the universe has given me the opportunity to hold the hands of the girl I like, and you're going against it? No." I enclose my palm over hers a bit more tightly. If I could, I'm never letting her go.

"Park Jaehyung," she reprimands.

Or I guess I can bargain for more time. "Look, the train station's just ahead, let me do this until you're walking on a better surface?"

She stares at me with knitted eyebrows and exhales a small laugh. "Fine."

"I'll always be here to catch you if you fall, Jaehee." And she almost trips again, and an annoyed expression crosses her face. "See? Good thing I was holding onto you." And in response, she rolls her eyes while smiling.

We arrive at the train station with the four other guys waiting. Each of them sports a curious expression, and Jaehee catches it. She turns to me and wordlessly signals that I should unclasp our hands, and when I don't, she makes a stiff expression and I reluctantly do as she asked.

It takes us 30 minutes by train and on foot to get to the ramen place. Oddly enough, we were immediately seated and only had to wait for a few minutes in line. I sit in front of Jaehee, who had Younghyun and Wonpil on her sides. Seated across each other, Dowoon and Wonpil are engrossed in a silly conversation that I don't understand, while Sungjin and Younghyun are talking about music. Jaehee stands to take a phone call, tells me to order her usual for her. I scan the menu in silence, and asks everyone else if they're ready to order.

Jaehee comes back a few minutes later, just after we've finished ordering. All eyes were on her as she sits down. She places her phone in her bag, and when she lifts her head, she says, "The university asked me to respond regarding my flight details, since I haven't checked my email today."

"They booked it already?" I ask.

"Yeah, April 30th."

"Noona, I'm going to miss you," Dowoon announces.

"It's still a month away, Dowoon-ah, let's not think about that right now, okay?" She smiles at him, the favorite dongsaeng.

 

Our food arrives and we lapse into casual conversation, talking about the guests and ourselves. Jaehee takes care of Wonpil, almost akin to a mother. She passes him tissue and condiments as if on automatic mode, and Wonpil always has a smile of gratitude for her.

An order of mochi arrives at our table and Jaehee looks instantly happy, immediately looking at me for confirmation. "Yes Jaehee-yah, I ordered that for you. Eat up."

"Thank you, Jae, you're the best," she says, grinning at me. I watch her eat one mouthful and hums satisfyingly. She then puts a piece to Wonpil's agape mouth and they both childishly eye-smiles at each other.

It's these little things that I like about her, and more. I want her to be happy, above all else. I have a month to make it so that I'm the one beside her, always making it happen .