Chapter 7

Taking It In

Mark cries seated with legs on his chest somewhere inside Central Park. He got lost on his way after letting go from his father’s hand while following some clowns and entertainers marching around the park. It is already nighttime and he felt that there were no people left around. The feeling alone scared him. Too many things were running in his mind. Will he be able to go home? Will his father find him? Will he die tonight?

 

“A-Appa.” Mark hugs himself crying. Not knowing what to do anymore.

 

Until he heard some rustling in the bushes and it freaked him out more. Then he saw lights waving around until one went directly to him.

 

“I found him!” the man shouted.

 

His eyes widened and a smile of relief formed in his face when he saw the figure running towards him.

 

“My son!”

 

“Appa!”

 

Jaehyun hugged his son tightly, kissing his head.

 

“It’s okay Mark. I’m here now. I’m not letting you go again.

---

It’s been two days since Mark ran away from Taeyong’s home. At first he asked his close connections in the police department to search for his son, making sure that no one will know that Mark was missing. But news will always be news; Johnny and Doyoung knew what happened and they charged to Taeyong’s house (mostly Doyoung, who gave Taeyong a punch in the face). Yuta was surprised and was about to approach his husband only to be glared upon by the other.

 

“You scumbag!” Doyoung growled as he picked up Taeyong by the collar on one hand, and getting ready to punch the man again with his other hand. “You told us nothing will go wrong if Mark stays with you! Now look what happened!” Doyoung yelled at him, looking deadly straight to Taeyong’s eyes, whose cheeks are swelling a bit and a tinge of blood on his lips.

 

“Doyoung, please. Not another one. He’s our friend.” Johnny begged the angered man, holding his readied fist from giving another blow on Taeyong’s body.

 

Doyoung glared back at Johnny, “Our friend? OUR FRIEND?! What kind of friend will sleep with his friend?! I don’t know what Jaehyun see in this guy that he fell for him and just let him go. It’s just not right.” Then Doyoung glared back at Taeyong, “Why does it have to be you?!”

 

Silence enveloped the room and Taeyong widened his eyes when he realized something, “Doyoung, please tell me. Were you in love with Jaehyun?”

 

Doyoung widened his eyes in surprise. He let go of Taeyong and quickly walked out of the house. Johnny following suit.

 

But before leaving the door, Doyoung left something to say that Taeyong was a bit afraid of.

 

“I will find Jaehyun’s son for his sake. And I am not going to do it in a cowardly way like you.”

 

---

Mark looks at the window, appreciating the sunset when someone opened the door.

 

“Hey Markeu, I have pineapple juice and doughnuts.” Donghyuck says bringing with him a tray of snacks for him and Mark to enjoy.

 

After running away, Mark has no idea where to go until he decided to swallow his pride and called Donghyuck in a nearby shop, asking him if he could stay with him for a while. In a heartbeat the other lad said yes and picked Mark up to where Mark waited for him; in the middle of nowhere in Seoul (for Mark). While talking to Donghyuck, he was contemplating if he would tell the truth or lie. But thinking that it is not good to lie to his first friend in Korea, he told him he ran away from his home after an incident with his stepfather. Donghyuck being overprotective suddenly, said some ill words against Mark’s stepfather and promised that he could stay as long as he want in their house.

 

“How about your parents, Haechannie?” Marked asked.

 

“Don’t worry about them. They are in Jeju right now. Taking care of some things our family owns there. The house is all mine for the moment.”

 

Donghyuck’s house is no joke. Settled in UN Village, the grandest housing in Seoul, it will made Mark feel safe. For the past two days, he had been diverting his attention by playing games in Donghyuck’s Xbox or even take a plunge in the pool with Donghyuck during the nighttime.

 

“Do you miss your dad?” Donghyuck asked suddenly in the middle of eating dinner, making Mark look up to his friend in suspicion.

 

Donghyuck lets go of his utensils at hand and raised his arms. “I swear I did not call your dad or something. I’m just wondering because I know that your stepfather was harsh but your dad is different. He seems to care for you a lot.”

 

Mark sighed, letting go of his utensils as well. “I don’t know Haechannie. I don’t even know if he loves me as his son or he just took me in under his wing because of my appa and his responsibility. But I do really miss my appa.”

 

Donghyuck did not say anything. He felt that he has no right to say something since his experience is different from Mark. Even if most of the time Donghyuck’s parents are always gone for work, he always feels that he is loved since everytime his parents comes home, they always pamper him with care and love, teaching him things, taking him to parks, telling him bed time stories. But Mark’s was different. The father he grew up with passed away. Then he just met his other father and his other father’s family.

 

Donghyuck moved closer to Mark and held the other boy’s hand and looked at him and smiled. “Just remember this Markeu, you are not alone, okay? Even if your appa is gone and you think that your dad does not love you, just remember that there are other people who will be there for you. To care and love you as you deserve.”

 

Mark smiled, teary eyed. Then suddenly he leaned closer to Donghyuck. And in a flash, Donghyuck blushed profusely.

 

Mark kissed him on the cheeks.

 

---

Mark was left alone in the Lee household. Donghyuck went to school to avoid suspicions (and also to get copies of homeworks and lessons for Mark to catch up and study}. Mark was playing Donghyuck’s guitar in the living room when the doorbell rang. Mark stopped playing the guitar looking at the door. But the ringing won’t stop. Then after the ring was a knock.

 

“Mark-yah! Mark! Lee Mark Minyoung I know you’re in there. Open the door.” A voice spoke behind the door while knocking it.

 

Afraid yet curious, he went to the door and opened it.

 

His eyes widened…

 

“Who are you?”