Someone's Someone

better by the day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyunwoo and Seungcheol desperately needed a study break. They had been sitting in the library for a good four hours working on their assignments and the burnout stress and the sitting down too long was getting to them both. Hyunwoo had made the joke to Seungcheol that he was getting so restless his leg needed to bounce to get some stimulation, but then ten minutes later he realized that he was doing the same thing. They were both starting to feel it and they had come to the census to take a break before they both lost their ever-loving minds.  

"We could get ice cream," Seungcheol immediately suggested, eyes lighting up at the thought, "The dining hall's soft serve machine is up again!" he had complained several times over the past four days how the utility was out of order and how terribly it inconvenienced him. To hear that it was in order again was a relief to Hyunwoo. 

Hyunwoo smiled and shook his head half-heartedly, "Isn't it too cold for ice cream?”

Seungcheol looked scandalized at the question, mouth agape and eyes comically wide, placing a hand flat to his chest to show just how insulted he was, "It is never too cold for ice cream," he was soon smiling again, nose scrunching happily, "Come, let's go. And if you don't want ice cream you can always get whatever other dessert they have available," the dining hall always had several options for whatever a student could want.

"Fine," Hyunwoo acquiesced, not objecting too much. He didn't mind getting ice cream, in fact, it had been a fleeting thought for an hour or two after he failed to hear Seungcheol complain about it. Now it was something he really wanted, almost a craving, all thanks to Seungcheol, "Let's go.”

It had been a quiet walk to the dining hall, but not uncomfortable. They were uncomfortable in the way the winter air nipped at their noses and ears and the way they had to shuffle along the sidewalks in case there was black ice they could trip on, but company wise, they were enjoying themselves. They didn't have to say much to feel comfortable with each other; they could sit in complete silence for hours and not feel the tightness of awkwardness in their chests. It was nice and time seemed to fly freely even in silence, and before long they were at the dining hall entrance, reveling in the warmth of the building's heat. Both boys hated winter and they much preferred it when the seasons are warmer. 

Hyunwoo laughed at how giddy Seungcheol was the soft serve machine was in sight. The younger of the two was bouncing from foot to foot as they headed towards the machinery, and just to appease him, Hyunwoo picked up the pace so they would arrive sooner, "Chocolate?" Seungcheol asked Hyunwoo over his shoulder, kind smile lighting up his already excited features. Hyunwoo was ready to shake his head, but Seungcheol shook his own, "Oh sorry, you prefer vanilla," he didn't wait for confirmation before he was turning back to the machine and filling a small bowl with vanilla soft serve. Hyunwoo smiled satisfactorily, appreciating that Seungcheol could remember, "I'll get chocolate.”

Bowls in hand, the pair headed towards the topping bar adjacent to the soft-serve machine because what was soft serve without toppings? There was a large array with a plethora of options to choose from and one thing was for certain: both Hyunwoo and Seungcheol's favorite topping was crushed oreo. It was the first option you could choose when standing at the bar and Hyunwoo grabbed his fill and he was done customizing his dessert. Seungcheol added his own helping of oreo, but he didn't stop there. Hyunwoo only liked oreo on his soft serve, but it was a routine of Seungcheol's to grab a disgusting amount of everything else at the topping bar and forcing it on top of his ice cream. Hyunwoo always watched in amazement how much Seungcheol could pack onto his ice cream with the intention to eat it all. He would feel sick trying to eat a third of the bowl, but somehow Seungcheol could eat it all, and then sometimes more. It was a talent. 

Turning to find a seat where they could sit away from people was easy since it was so late in the evening. They had a few more hours until both the dining hall and library closed for the night and the number of people still wandering around were few in number. Hyunwoo and Seungcheol liked it this way. They liked things quiet, hence why they were at the library so often. It gave them time to think and do their assignments in peace. However, since meeting each other, the library was a little less quiet between them, but they didn't mind. Not if it was with each other. 

"Is the paper you're writing due this week?" Hyunwoo asked as he snuck a gummy worm from Seungcheol's bowl of 'sugar coma'. The sour tang was nice after a spoonful of vanilla and oreo. He could see why he grabbed them, but Seungcheol had a mountain of them and that was far too much. 

"Friday," Seungcheol nodded, voice sounding a little shaky while talking about it, "An eight-page research paper on God knows what. I'm bs-ing my way through it and I think it's working," Seungcheol had been given two weeks to write this paper and had only just started that night, three days before its due date, "I work best when I'm under a tremendous amount of stress. This could be an award-winning paper if I leave it to the day before," it sounded tempting. He didn't want to write any of this paper now and he was heavily considering leaving it until the very last minute. 

Hyunwoo would disagree with him but he had no reason not to believe Seungcheol. He could pull some great work out of nowhere if he procrastinated long enough; he had seen it himself. Hyunwoo admired that skill because he would never risk something that dangerous. He always gave himself plenty of time to complete assignments that would take more than a few hours to finish, "You better not though because I know you have back to back labs this week," Seungcheol had told Hyunwoo all about them and how much he was not looking forward to them, "If you leave it until days before, you won't even have time to complete it with how time-consuming your labs are. And I know you still have things to do for those.”

Seungcheol shrugged, scooping a ridiculous amount of soft serve and crushed peanut butter cup onto his spoon, "I just won't sleep then," he inhaled that spoonful, painting Hyunwoo impressed with how much he could fit in his mouth at once, especially something as cold as ice cream. He hummed happily at the taste on his tongue. His first bite of soft serve in too long and he was overjoyed. 

Hyunwoo rolled his eyes and took a spoonful of his own soft serve, "You're going to be dead on your feet for the next few days if you keep that up," Hyunwoo knew this to be fact, taking his own spoonful of his vanilla and Oreo. It made him smile, and no, it was never too cold for ice cream, "And I won't feel the least bit sorry for you.”

"Like I need your sympathy," Seungcheol smiled at his bowl, chewing on one of the gummy worm heads he managed to chew off. They always got too hard when they were cold, "I'll be fine. Once the weekend hits, I'll catch up on my sleep. I'm not too worried about it," Seungcheol lifted his head to make eye contact with Hyunwoo, noticing there was worry in his eyes. He softened his tone to appease his friend, "I'll at minimum get five hours of sleep a night if that makes you feel better," Seungcheol usually had a better sleep schedule than this, but he wasn't always the best with time management. 

"Six?" Hyunwoo asked, looking to bargain for Seungcheol's health, "If you don't sleep enough you'll make yourself sick.”

Seungcheol quirked an eyebrow, "You're telling me that as if you don't average three hours of sleep a night.”

"I have insomnia," Hyunwoo not so gently reminded the younger, "It's something I can't control, and plus, I do well on three hours of sleep. You do not," Seungcheol did quite terrible on less than seven hours of sleep. Claiming he would do well on five hours was a blatant lie, "It's like watching an impending disaster. And I did all I could before it crashed and burned.”

Seungcheol rolled his eyes and laughed. There was no arguing with Hyunwoo if he was going to play like this, "I'll try for six hours then, and write at least another two pages tonight if you think I should," Hyunwoo gave a satisfactory nod to his claim and Seungcheol smiled. He knew Hyunwoo was right, but where was the fun in being safe when he could ride the adrenaline high? "I know your big test is tomorrow, and I'm sure you've memorized everything you need to know. You could recite your notes in your sleep," Hyunwoo had very extensive and impressive notetaking skills that obviously came in handy with his schooling. It was why he could accomplish so much in so little time. 

"Not quite but I'm getting there," Hyunwoo quipped happily, stretching his shoulders and chest in pride, "It should go well and I'm aiming for a 95% or higher," it was cocky but honestly, with a brain like Hyunwoo's, he could accomplish that and more. Seungcheol knew he could do it too, and with Hyunwoo's confidence, it was a for sure thing. 

"Is there anything you can't do?" Seungcheol asked with a wide smile, looking for an answer but not expecting one, "Because I don't think there is a single thing you struggle with. You're the most patient person I know with a heart of gold and a genius brain," Seungcheol listed off, watching as Hyunwoo's features grew red with warmth. He was blushing and that was something Seungcheol rarely saw. It was cute. Everything he said about him was true though and there was no need to get flustered, "Like tell me: what have you been having troubles with recently?" Seungcheol asked, genuinely wanting to know. If there happened to be something Hyunwoo was having a hard time with he would fight tooth and nail to fix it. 

Besides the fatigue that came with such a hectic schedule and his lack of ability to sleep or stay asleep, Hyunwoo had to admit there was something that was really starting to get to him, "There is something that keeps bothering me but it is never ever going to be fixed," Hyunwoo watched the interest shift in Seungcheol's eyes as though that was a challenge. It made him chuckle, "It's my job," Hyunwoo was a lab assistant for chemistry labs and it was something that came easy to him, but that wasn't it, "I have to lead all these labs and grade assignments, which is perfectly fine, but it's the people," Hyunwoo felt his own voice dip at the tone he used for the word, "I swear, people make it harder for no reason and even when you try to help them they turn it on you and suddenly you're the bad guy," he angrily took a bite of his ice cream, rolling his eyes at just the thought of the students he frequently saw in his labs, "Just yesterday I had a student tell me that I was grading too harshly and that I should take their answers into consideration," Hyunwoo tossed his hands in the air in frustration, "If the answer isn't correct then I don't know what to tell you, buddy," it had truly rubbed Hyunwoo the wrong way and he had steamed over it for hours. 

Seungcheol hummed in understanding because he had similar experiences with his job every day as a biomedical science and biology tutor. It was painfully familiar, "I had a student come in the other day demanding I fill out their test study guide for them. As if that would help them if I did all the work for them," it sadly happened quite often, and Seungcheol was just about tired of having to tell people that wasn't in his job description, "It always seems an inconvenience when I tell them that I will help them find the answers rather than give them the answers. I don't understand why that is so hard to comprehend," Seungcheol sighed deeply as though releasing years worth of stressors in one breath. Hyunwoo could relate entirely and it was starting to make his head ache at the idea of students asking him to do things for them. 

"Some people have the audacity and I want to know where I can get some," Hyunwoo hummed, taking another spoonful of his soft serve. His serving was nearly gone and he was thinking of getting more just because he could, “When I first took the job I thought it would be fun, but really it’s annoying,” he had some wonderful regulars come see him when his hours were posted, but there were many students who were the worst and wanted to cheat their way through the class. Hyunwoo did not like those students. 

"I can't wait to get a real job," Seungcheol hummed happily, thinking about his career prospects and how he would approach achieving his goals, "Working at a pharmacy is what I really want to do. Not sit around and listen to people complain to me about what they don’t but should know," he knew how important his job was for those specific people, but it wasn't worth it in his eyes. It's not what he envisioned himself doing for much longer, "I'm ready to be a pharmacist already.”

"You're so close," Hyunwoo reminded, the younger. They both had one year left until they graduated and while it was close it still seemed so far away, "I've been in contact with labs close by trying to find the best possible route to do what I want to do," chemical engineering was a very specific but very sought out job. Hyunwoo would really need to look for an available position but in reality, if he found an opening he was going to get it. It was a promise, "But honestly I really just want to be a father," he hadn't shared that with Seungcheol before and he watched as his friend adopted a new look on his face. It was soft and interested, a small smile on his lips, "I'm hoping to get a job and I want to settle down as soon as possible. I've always wanted a family of my own.”

Oddly enough, Hyunwoo had no qualms saying such things to Seungcheol. They were both young, way too young to think about let alone talk freely about families and children. But Hyunwoo felt incredibly comfortable with Seungcheol like he could pour his heart and soul out to him and feel good about doing it. Seungcheol was kind and warm-hearted and Hyunwoo couldn't imagine him reacting in a way that would hurt him. Seungcheol would never, he was too sweet to poke fun at Hyunwoo's dreams. 

Seungcheol nodded with a smile, gummy and bright, eyes squinting into pretty half-moons. Hyunwoo swore he heard a silent giggle as well, "I wouldn't mind starting a family so soon either. I've always loved kids.” 

"I love kids too," love was an understatement. Hyunwoo was absolutely infatuated with kids of all ages. There was something about them that made it so easy to adore them and Hyunwoo could never get enough. It was one reason he was so excited for Changkyun's baby boy. Another was that Changkyun would have someone he wouldn't be afraid to love, and Hyunwoo knew how much he needed that. 

Seungcheol hummed dreamily, smile still so wide and ridiculous, "Do you think we could do it? Have a family?" it was such an innocent question with no hidden intentions but it was sending Hyunwoo into a fast-paced spiral. 

Hyunwoo had to pause and let the word choice sink in. We? What did that mean? And why did it make Hyunwoo's heart pick up the pace? He could feel the way his heart was thumping erratically behind his rib cage and the way his spine shivered in anticipation, "If we could do it?" 

Seungcheol smiled, oblivious to Hyunwoo's internal panic and emphasis on we, "Yeah! If we could ever go on in life, find our partners, and have a career while simultaneously parenting small children so young? Do you think we could end up doing that and be successful?" in all honesty, the occupational success wasn't part of his worries, but that was still a valid fear for some. Seungcheol was more concerned with familial success and connection, and the love he would have for his family. 

And Seungcheol obviously meant separately, of course he did, but the prospect of them together having children had such an effect on Hyunwoo that it was startling. He wasn't sure if it was momentary shock or genuine interest, but it was definitely something. It was fleeting but maybe, he felt something else in his heart for Seungcheol. The younger saying "we" made Hyunwoo happy for a second and he hadn't felt that way before now. It was a very nice thought, being more than friends, being quote on quote "we" or "us", but if Seungcheol was just talking to talk then Hyunwoo didn't want to make it awkward by bringing feelings into their conversation. He was going to let it go and continue as they were. Hyunwoo took the last bite of his ice cream to stifle his thoughts, finishing his bowl entirely with nothing but melted cream in the center of the bowl, "I think we definitely could. We both work so hard and from what you've said, I assume you're good with kids," he smiled softly, still trying to remove thoughts of feelings for Seungcheol from his head, "And if you are, then you'll be an amazing father." 

"I don't have to assume, I just know you're good with kids," Seungcheol stated, even if he had no prior knowledge of Hyunwoo with children to base his claim on. He could just tell Hyunwoo had a talent, "You're going to be the best dad ever," it was easy for Seungcheol to say because he believed it 100%. 

Hyunwoo blushed at the compliment, heart fluttering happily because the image of himself with his own children made him insanely happy. He liked to think he had a way with children, and he hoped that would translate in a few years when his own hopefully come along, "I sure hope so." 

Seungcheol was smiling so wide, so joyously as he hummed under his breath, a habit he had when he was happy. Hyunwoo again felt a flutter in his heart and once again he was thinking about Seungcheol in a romantic way. Was that all it took to trigger his feelings? Seungcheol referring to them both in the singular as they spoke about their future children? It didn't seem like it was much but after all the time they'd been spending together, Hyunwoo would have to say he did in fact have feelings for Seungcheol, but he didn't know how Seungcheol felt. They were supposed to be just friends, right? Was that all they could be? Hyunwoo didn't want to agonize over it, he had enough on his plate already with school and his job. Then again, this was a new revelation, he hadn't had time to agonize over it just yet. Time would tell, he just had to rely on that for the time being. 

"But those are future plans, we should talk about more immediate plans instead," Seungcheol started, moving on naturally and not awkwardly at all. It was always so easy when they spoke, "What are you doing this Saturday?" he asked so smoothly, eyebrow raised curiously as he asked. 

They usually end up spending their weekends together so what Seungcheol really meant to ask was what their weekend plans were. Hyunwoo had to mentally laugh in realization. They'd been doing things together like that for so long already and neither he nor Seungcheol had noticed, "We could go bowling, or catch a movie, maybe do some window shopping at the mall. We can do anything really. Whatever you'd like to do," he wasn't picky about what they did, as long as they were with each other. 

Seungcheol hummed in thought, taking his last remaining bite of soft serve, finishing long after Hyunwoo had finished his. The sweetness was probably an overload and eating it at the speed Hyunwoo had was most likely impossible. Seungcheol had taken his time to finish and there was a good chance he would get more after plans were made, "I like the idea of bowling. That's always fun. And there's a Chinese restaurant close by the alley if we want to end up getting dinner. I know how much you like Chinese food," they had eaten it more than a few times since they'd first met and started doing things outside of sitting in the library until late. Hyunwoo was pretty sure Seungcheol could recite his order from memory. 

"I can do bowling and Chinese food. But I must warn you that I'm really good at bowling. I'll end up beating you.”'

Seungcheol blew a short raspberry, rolling his eyes as he did so as if in disbelief and doubt. He greatly disagreed, "I'm not too shabby myself. I could end up beating you," he corrected, finger pointing Hyunwoo's way in a threatening way. It failed to intimidate Hyunwoo however. 

The older of the two smiled cockily and gave a short chuckle. He knew Seungcheol was the one who was in the wrong, "I'll just have to prove you wrong in some friendly competition, and that's always fun," it would be thrilling to see the shock on Seungcheol's face when the final tallies calculate and Hyunwoo wipes the floor with him, "And when I win, you're buying dinner," adding in a wager was even more fun, creating even more incentive to win. 

"And if I win you're buying dinner," Seungcheol promised, smiling happily at the teasing. He was so confident he was going to win, "Deal?" he asked, sticking his hand out for Hyunwoo to take.

"Deal," Hyunwoo finalized, giving a firm handshake with focused eyes, almost glaring at Seungcheol. Seungcheol could laugh at his friend's spirit, "I've warned you." 

Seungcheol shrugged, "Prepare yourself. You'll be buying me malatang and mandu. And I'll make sure I'm hungry that night," Hyunwoo hummed and nodded, still looking so confident in his abilities. Seungcheol rolled his eyes again because there was no way Hyunwoo was that good. Hyunwoo was going to buy their dinner this Saturday night. 

But it was Seungcheol who ended up buying dinner

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter