Middle of the Night

better by the day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Not a day went by where Hyunwoo and Seungcheol didn't see each other. What started as seeing each other coincidentally at the library soon turned into purposely meeting at the same study table every Monday at 6 and staying until the library closed. Eventually, it wasn't enough and they added Wednesdays into the mix. Their last classes of the day both ended at 3 and once they were dismissed they were back at the library at the same table, there to talk and study, but mostly talk. Then they were soon adding Thursdays and finally Tuesdays to the list. Friday nights were minimally spent in the library due to the shorter hours, and then the rest of the night was spent doing something fun that didn't stress them out. Bowling, shopping, getting dinner, catching a movie, anything that would really take their minds off of things. The weekends ranged from lounging around and finishing projects to going towards the city to enjoy nightlife, but either way, they were usually together. Hyunwoo and Seungcheol had a routine down and it had yet to fail them. They really enjoyed each other's company, but it almost never felt like enough. They wanted to be together all the time. 

It was Thursday, the day before Valentine's Day, and both Hyunwoo and Seungcheol were heading to the library together. Seungcheol had walked to Hyunwoo's last class of the day and waited until he was finished so they could walk jointly. The travel had been filled with talk of their days and what assignments they were supposed to complete tonight. It was just like any other day, nothing out of the ordinary, except Seungcheol seemed extra whiny today about his assignments, and it was up to Hyunwoo to remind him he was the one who had procrastinated this long so close to the due dates. Seungcheol had a very bad habit of procrastinating and Hyunwoo was always the one to remind him it was his own fault and no one else's. Hyunwoo was always there to humble Seungcheol; it was his job. 

"It's so damn cold," Seungcheol griped a little too loudly, shivering as he transitioned into the heat of the library lobby, "I hate winter," his fingers and the tip of his nose were frozen stiff and the hairs on the back of his neck were standing on end as his nerves did their best to keep him warm. He hated being cold, and winter was nothing but cold, "This is miserable." 

"I love winter," Hyunwoo countered with a smile, removing the gloves from his hands so he could place them neatly into his coat pockets, "Hate is a strong word. I think it's the best season. There's so much to love about it. Like the snow, the holidays, wrapping up in warm blankets while drinking hot chocolate. Those are all things that can only happen in winter." 

"Well, while all of those are nice, your opinion is wrong," Seungcheol argued with a shrug, removing his own gloves and shoving them in his coat pockets along with his hands, keeping them warm and protected even while they were inside a heated building, "It's freezing and I'm going to get frostbite. That's also something that can only happen in winter," he whined, dramatic and hyperbolic as he walked further into the building and towards the study area. He wanted to sit down and try to warm up and recover from his excursion outside. It had been tough on his body and he didn't want to spend much more time suffering on his own. 

Hyunwoo rolled his eyes, following his friend close behind before stuttering his steps to a halt, "Oh wait!" he exclaimed, Seungcheol turning over his shoulder to face Hyunwoo, "I need to borrow a textbook for an assignment," he informed the younger. A textbook wasn't available on the typical book shelves and it was instead something you had to go to library employees for. There was that extra step of safety to prevent theft of the material, "Follow me to the circulation desk, then we can sit and warm up," it wasn't far, only a few feet to the right, but Hyunwoo swore he saw Seungcheol roll his eyes. Seungcheol tended to be a brat when he was cold, as Hyunwoo had observed over the past month. He was a big fan of summer and had mentioned so many times, so Hyunwoo understood the distaste but he was being a little ridiculous. Hyunwoo chose to ignore the eye roll and instead held his hand out for Seungcheol to take, just like you would when guiding a small child, "Come here," he pleaded with a wide smile, waiting ever so patiently for Seungcheol to obey, "It'll only take a second."

Seungcheol hesitated momentarily before shrugging his backpack higher up on his shoulders and retracing his steps, pouting as he easily slipped his hand into Hyunwoo's outstretched palm, "It better," he warned with no real bite behind his words and a frown. He was truly acting like a child now and instead of his actions aggravating Hyunwoo, they made him smile. Seungcheol could be so cute sometimes, and maybe that's what made him so annoying as well. 

"I promise," Hyunwoo guaranteed as he pulled his friend along with him, steps synchronized. It took about twelve steps to reach the front desk and the employee staring at the desk's monitor screen smiled once they were both close enough to talk to. Hyunwoo flashed a friendly smile and released Seungcheol's hand so he could fold his palms in front of him, "Hello, Doyeon!" he bowed, Seungcheol following belatedly behind him. He had still been frowning but wiped it away to appear friendly while in close proximity to this other person. He would return to frowning once Hyunwoo was done. 

The circulation clerk bowed in return out of respect, "Hello to you too! What book do you need today, Hyunwoo ssi?" Doyeon had helped Hyunwoo many times before with many of his textbooks and he was considered a regular. They were basically friends at this point. Doyeon were also glad to see him, ready to do anything while on their shift. It had been a slow and boring day so far, so they were happy to have something to do. They had another few hours of their shift to complete before they were finished for the night and they were in need of tasks. Days like these always dragged on for what felt like forever, and Hyunwoo was kind. It was always nice to see him. 

"Just my regular grab," Hyunwoo clarified, bringing up his lit phone screen and showing the clerk the exact title, author, and serial code of the book he needed for tonight. He had borrowed it plenty of times before and to simplify the process, he had written down the necessary details to make this easier for whoever was helping him. Glancing at his screen, Doyeon easily typed in the information to check availability and indeed they had Hyunwoo's book ready for him. They left momentarily to retrieve it after promising to return quickly. 

"Here it is!" Doyeon chirped as they placed the book flat on the wooden surface of the desk before continuing protocol, "I just need your student ID so I can put your information in," the clerk was pretty sure they had his ID memorized by now, but that would be rude to complete the process without his permission. They would need to see his information. 

"Okay!" Hyunwoo had his school ID ready in his hand as he held it out for Doyeon to take who did so gently, thanking Hyunwoo for cooperating so easily. The sound of typing filled the silence as the clerk was inputting information but Hyunwoo couldn't focus on that because he felt Seungcheol close up behind him, looking over his shoulder at the book that was waiting to go with them to their study table. Some very advanced physics material that Seungcheol would hate to read a word of. 

"Nerd," Seungcheol scoffed with a smirk, aiming to pick at Hyunwoo's incredibly patient nerves. It was jokingly and in good fun, and he teased the older with a smile, "So lame."

"Stop," Hyunwoo hissed over his shoulder, non-threateningly and with a smile as well. It was funny to him, considering Seungcheol was so interested his own studies. Hyunwoo could call Seungcheol the same, "You're the nerd, nerd," he stuck his tongue out at his friend for good measure before turning back to the circulation clerk, a still wide and goofy smile painting his features. He looked happy despite being teased. Seungcheol was smiling at him from behind, matching the energy of Hyunwoo's smile. 

Doyeon watched the exchange in their peripheral and laughed under their breath, finally finishing and turning towards Hyunwoo with a smile, holding his book out for him. Hyunwoo was expecting a few parting words, a reminder to return the textbook within a certain time frame, but what they said surprised him, "Do you two have any plans for Valentine's Day?" they looked hopeful, wanting to hear some great details. 

Hyunwoo's smile fell and he turned back towards Seungcheol to see if he had an answer. Seungcheol never mentioned anyone he was interested in, and he was just as curious as Doyeon was. Seungcheol looked just as taken aback as Hyunwoo was and shook his head, a small shrug accompanying his answer. Hyunwoo turned back to the clerk and shook his head as well, "No, not yet at least," a nervous laugh followed as he took the book from Doyeon. He hadn't spent a Valentine's with anyone significant in his life, but he wasn't going to tell anyone that. 

"Oh," Doyeon responded, sounding disappointed with hopeful undertones. Hyunwoo nodded and before he could say his farewells, they were speaking again, "I thought you would by now, but maybe one of you has a surprise for the other," that confused Hyunwoo further. Before he could ask for clarification, Doyeon was offering him some, "How long have you two been together? I see you two together all the time and I have to say how good you both look together," it was something they envied. They were so cute together. The hand holding they had done earlier had prompted a silent 'awe' from their body before they approached the desk. They were always doing such cute things, "You're both so lucky to have each other." 

Hyunwoo blushed a bright red, nearly speechless as he let their words absorb into his shocked brain. He turned over his shoulder to catch a glimpse of Seungcheol, and he appeared in disbelief, briefly making eye contact with Hyunwoo before glancing away, cheeks burning to match Hyunwoo's, "Um, well... we're not together," Hyunwoo broke the news with an awkward smile, clutching the textbook to his chest. He wasn't sure if he was embarrassed or overwhelmed, but maybe it was a mixture of both, "But thank you... I guess."  

Doyeon's face fell and it was their turn to blush, "Oh... I'm sorry I didn't mean to.. it's just you two seem really close. I just kind of assumed," they cleared their throat, knowing they just made everything horribly awkward between the two. They were hoping the ground would open up and swallow them whole. 

Seungcheol spoke up, choking on his words as he still hung onto what they had said, "Well we are, just not that close," he nodded, biting his bottom lip to keep his mouth shut. This was really uncomfortable and it was twisting his gut tight into knots. 

Doyeon swallowed thickly and nodded, "Well alright then. Um, have this book back within two hours to either return it or renew your rent time," they tried to continue as though nothing had happened, but it was still terribly unnatural and terribly painful, "I'm sorry," they uttered again, nearly under their breath as they avoided further eye contact. They wanted this interaction to end. 

"I'll have this back within an hour," Hyunwoo informed with a short nod, turning to leave so he could escape this situation. But sadly, it wasn't something he could escape when he was going to spend the evening with Seungcheol. He was stuck with the clerk's words ringing in his head, and trying to decipher what it was that he felt about them. 

The two walked in silence to their regular table and sat down on opposite sides, still silent, still awkward. They went ahead and produced what they needed for the time being from their backpacks and it was still so silent. It was so unfamiliar to both of them, finding conversation so easy between them both at any time. They had never had issues coming up with something to discuss, even when they first met and didn't know each other. It felt so strange, but it gave them the time to think on their own about what the circulation desk clerk Doyeon said. 

Being together? Dating? They were together all the time anyway, putting a label on it wouldn't make a huge difference. Doing couple things? They kind of did those already, and they did have obvious chemistry. It didn't sound terrible, it was just not something they had expected to be brought up by a near stranger. The shame it brought them not bringing the topic up between themselves was overpowering, but it was a kickstart to what they should properly discuss. They obviously both had strong reactions towards the assumption they were dating, and Hyunwoo wanted so badly to bring it up first, but he wasn't sure how. He'd never done something like this exact situation before, and he wasn't sure how Seungcheol would react. What if he rejected him completely? Hyunwoo didn't think he could handle that kind of reaction. 

But he didn't have to compose a thought about it because Seungcheol was taking the initiative himself, "We could try it," he spoke shyly, tone unsure and shaky. He his dry lips, unsure if Hyunwoo felt the same about him. He could guess, but he didn't want to assume and have his feelings hurt. 

"Try it?" Hyunwoo asked, mind gone blank. What was he talking about?

"Dating. We could try dating," Seungcheol clarified, growing brave and making eye contact with his friend. It was short-lived as he looked back down at the table, a nervous shiver making its way up his spine, "If you feel that way about me."

Hyunwoo smiled and even laughed light-heartedly, stirring confusion in Seungcheol's heart. Hyunwoo shook his head to collect himself before asking, "Are you asking me to be your boyfriend?" his smile was bright and eager, and it bloomed hope in Seungcheol's chest. 

"Maybe… it's like we’ve been on so many dates already and I kind of... really like you... a little... or maybe a lot," Seungcheol stuttered, wringing his hands together on the table, "I've thought about it before and you're amazing and kind and everything I would want in a partner. But I repressed that because I didn't want to ruin anything, but I'm taking that step and asking if you would want that too," Seungcheol was bearing his heart and soul to Hyunwoo, and if he didn't reciprocate those feelings then he might die on the spot. 

Hyunwoo was growing increasingly happier the more Seungcheol spoke. He had known he had a crush on Seungcheol, ever since they were discussing their future families on their little ice cream excursion. Having children with Seungcheol sounded better and better the more he recalled that short piece of dialogue they had shared between each other. Hyunwoo nodded, and leaned forward in his seat so he was a tiny bit closer to Seungcheol. Hyunwoo's smile was so happy, and Seungcheol had no qualms about it, "I can't imagine not being around you, and I know how much we both enjoy being with each other," it was basically a necessity at this point, "And it just feels so right, and everything we do, no matter what we do, is so much fun." 

"I agree," Seungcheol chimed in, looking giddy in his seat, mirroring Hyunwoo's actions and leaning forward in his seat so he was inches closer to his friend, "Even our conversations about our homework excites me because I get to listen to you and hear your voice and just talk. I think I would be really sad without you around," Seungcheol didn't even want to think about it. 

Hyunwoo felt a giggle rise up his throat, too giddy and squirrely to possibly trap it in his chest, "I look forward to spending time with you. Just you, and I really miss you when you're not around," there were some nights when all Hyunwoo could think about was what he wanted to say to Seungcheol in the morning. It was bad sometimes, "And even though it's been a month, I feel like I've known you for a lifetime," Hyunwoo eyed Seungcheol's hands in front of him and reached out with one of his. He grabbed one hand and held it so tender and soft, and Hyunwoo watched as Seungcheol blushed and it was the cutest thing, "So if you are asking me to be your boyfriend, then I think that's a wonderful idea." 

His smile was so infectious that Seungcheol had to match in energy, "You mean that? You want to be my boyfriend? You want me to be your boyfriend?" 

"I do," Hyunwoo cooed, shrugging, "We're boyfriends now, and if we're boyfriends, we should probably plan a boyfriend date for Valentine's Day don't you think?" he couldn't believe it. He was going to have a significant other for the holiday of love. This was a first for him. 

Seungcheol's eyes lit up excitedly and he was nodding fast, "Oh! We should! What do you think we should do? I actually have several ideas if you want to hear," he launched into a tangent of ideas that could be possible for a last-minute Valentine's Day date and Hyunwoo loved all of it. That had been so easy, far easier than he could have imagined and he thought how ridiculous it was that they needed outside input in order to finally come to their senses. Hyunwoo smiled, excited that this finally happened and happy that he could finally stop daydreaming about what could be. It was all happening now and he was so thankful, so glad to finally all Seungcheol his. 

-------

Hyungwon was smiling like an idiot and it was really annoying Changkyun. He was starting to regret letting the older take his phone to read the text conversation he and Jooheon had earlier that day about tonight. The only reason Changkyun mentioned it was to inform Hyungwon that Jooheon would be spending the evening with them at the house, and upon hearing the news, the older immediately started teasing him about it. 'Tonight? For Valentine's Day?' He had only received a confirming nod from Changkyun and that should have been enough but Hyungwon started begging Changkyun for his phone so he could read the texts. Changkyun didn't think much of it at first and happily handed his phone over. Little did he know, Hyungwon was doing some investigative work to look further into the text messages. He needed to see every word sent back and forth before deducing to his final conclusion. 

"Oh Changkyun, this is a date," Hyungwon cooed with an obnoxious smile on his face, Changkyun's phone still held in his hand, "You're having a Valentine's date with Jooheon.”

Changkyun was dumbfoundede and it had distracted him from his task, needing to look at Hyungwon to gauge if he was serious or not. Basing it off his facial expressions, Hyungwon was completely, deadly serious, "It's not a date, hyung," he snickered confidently, turning back to continue washing all the dishes he had used in the past hour, "Definitely is not."

"It definitely is a date," Hyungwon argued with a vigorous shake of his head, making his hair bounce and his fringe fall into his eyes, "In your texts, it never says you're just 'hanging out'. And it's Valentine's Day for crying out loud! Of all days to just “hang out”,” Hyungwon used air quotes with a mocking tone, “It had to be today. A day with a very significant meaning. The day of love,” he wiggled his brows with a sly smile and Changkyun had just about enough of his attitude. 

“Maybe, but after reading all those texts I would think you’d noticed that the word ‘date’ was never used,” Changkyun had been the one to invite Jooheon to the house and he definitely didn’t intend for this to be a date. Jooheon had no plans for the night and neither had Changkyun, and their entire friend group was going to be at the house, except Hyunwoo who was going some place with his new boyfriend. It seemed like a good idea to invite him over so they wouldn’t be alone, but they were going to be hanging out as friends, “It’s not a date,” Changkyun wasn’t even sure if ‘date’ was a word anymore with how much they were saying it. 

Changkyun’s words seemed to fly over Hyungwon’s head as the older continued with his teasing, “Awe. Your first date with Jooheon,” he cooed obnoxiously and it was too sickeningly sweet. 

Changkyun rolled his eyes, frustration boiling in his gut, “Shut up. This is not a date if we’re watching a movie with you, Hoseok hyung, Kihyun hyung, and Minhyuk hyung. We're all in the same room as friends,” Changkyun shot a glance at the two others watching the conversation from the other counter, sitting on the barstools as they snacked on the cookies Changkyun had spent the last hour making. 

“A group date then! Those are always so much fun,” Kihyun decided to contribute. He and Minhyuk had already been on a few with Hyungwon and Hoseok and while solo dates were the best, group dates were loads fun as well. Minhyuk sat to his side and gave a nod of approval, agreeing with him wholeheartedly. 

Changkyun wanted to scream and tear his hair out, “We settled on a joint Valentine’s Day ‘hang-out,” he deemed it, wanting them all to leave it exactly at that, “We’re doing this as friends. It’s not a date,” how many more times did he have to say that exact phrase?! 

Minhyuk decided to jump in and add his own teasing, “If it’s not a date then why are you stress baking cookies?” his eyes trailed over the several batches of cookies Changkyun made that night, some laid on out cooling racks and others placed neatly on clean plates. It was a ridiculous amount, far too many cookies to be considered normal. Neither Kihyun nor Minhyuk were at the house to watch it from the start but Hyungwon had been and he had prefaced them about how Changkyun started baking out of the blue and was doing so almost manically. This was definitely stress baking and Changkyun couldn’t deny that. 

But he was going to try, “It’s not stress baking. I’m baking for all the people that have become my friends over the past year,” and while it was a nice thought it was also a lie. Unbeknownst to everyone in the room, Changkyun had been having the same thought and he was worried about it. He wasn’t sure Jooheon knew they were just hanging out and if he tried to make a move on him, he wasn’t sure how he would handle something like that. He and Jooheon were friends now, that was obvious, but Changkyun did not want to pursue a relationship with anybody let alone Jooheon. Mentally he couldn’t handle that kind of stress on top of what he's already dealing with, but if Jooheon thought the opposite it would be a rude awakening for him and an awkward conversation, “Valentine’s Day isn’t just about romantic love. It’s about all kinds of love,” that was pretty believable if you asked him, "We've all become so close the past few months and I wanted to do something nice for everyone," they definitely all deserved it after dealing with him and his antics. So yes, he was baking for everyone on purpose, not out of stress. 

“Maybe so, but you’re going on a date with Jooheon and you can't change my mind," Hyungwon insisted again as he folded his arms over his chest and shook his head, "I would just accept it and face reality," Changkyun was in such denial and it was hilarious. You'd think he would have seen the truth by now. 

"It's not a date!" Changkyun exclaimed as he placed his last dish into the drying rack with force. It had been a flat and rubber spatula he had used for stirring the cookie dough together. How he was finally done with his chore, drying his hands off on the blue towel that hung on the handle of the oven, "I'm sick of saying it."

Changkyun wanted to continue scolding his friends for teasing him so much but he was interrupted by the doorbell ringing. Everyone else who was supposed to meet at the house tonight was present except for Jooheon so they all knew who was at the door. Changkyun was still hot in the face and irritated and he couldn't bring himself to walk all the way to the front door to get his friend. Not with how heavy he felt and how much his feet hurt after standing on them for so long, "You get it," Changkyun demanded of Hyungwon as he grabbed a cookie from the plate laid on the counter and angrily took a bite. He had to admit, he made some pretty tasty cookies. 

"Fine," Hyungwon acquiesced, snatching his own cookie from the plate and taking a bite, noting how delightful it was. Just to poke fun at Changkyun one more time before leaving, his eyes lowered to the middle of Changkyun's belly and made contact with the little protrusion you could easily see through his white t-shirt. It made him smile mischievously, "Nice belly button,” he teased before running off, not wanting to face the wrath of a pregnant Changkyun. 

This had been the first time Hyungwon saw the change and Changkyun would have reached out and hit Hyungwon if he could but the older was too far gone before it registered in his brain. Changkyun's hand immediately went to cup his belly button that sat proudly and poked through his white shirt. It had just recently popped days before and Changkyun had been agonizing over the sight of it. The change was bizarre to him and he was not a big fan of his newly outie belly button. He was wearing one of his tighter t-shirts (which seemed to be most of them nowadays) and you could see the little bump through the thin material. Darker colors seemed to hide it but the lighter the color of his shirt the more you could see the small change that felt monumental to Changkyun. 

Now self-conscious, Changkyun decided he needed to wear something thick to hide his newfound insecurity. Finishing up his cookie by shoving the rest into his mouth, he waddled off to his bedroom to find the biggest and comfiest sweatshirt he could find. Now that he wasn't in front of a hot oven or using hot water to wash the dishes he was starting to cool down and a sweatshirt was a good idea anyway. Changkyun dug one out of the top drawer of his dresser and tossed it over his head, carefully pulling it over his bump and smoothing out the material. Looking down Changkyun couldn't believe how big he was getting and how fast his son was growing. It was amazing and terrifying at the same time because he was so close to being here. Changkyun was so close to being a father and he wasn't sure he was ready, or if he would ever be ready. He loved his son so much already but being a parent was terrifying. He could feel himself getting worked up at the thought and to prevent a panic attack or tears that were sure to follow, Changkyun shook his head and pinched his thigh as he turned to leave his bedroom. Daewon must have felt how much he was struggling in the moment because the unborn baby gave one of the gentlest kicks Changkyun had felt in weeks. Even in his panicked state, Changkyun couldn't help the pride that bloomed in his heart at his son's eagerness to comfort him. Daewon could turn his heart around too quickly.

Exiting his bedroom and heading back towards the front room to find all the people he would be spending the night with, Changkyun was surprised to find both Jooheon and Hoseok hauling something very large through the front door rather than finding them standing in the kitchen eating the ridiculous amount of cookies he made. It was a very large and flat cardboard box with no wording on the surface to indicate what was inside. It made Changkyun even more curious and he approached the pair as they set the mystery package up against the wall leading to the kitchen where Minhyuk, Kihyun, and Hyungwon were watching in curiosity as well, "What's this?" he swiftly asked before Jooheon or Hoseok could straighten their backs out. Even closer now, there was still no hint as to what was inside this giant box in their house. 

Jooheon turned over his shoulder once he heard Changkyun's voice and there was an immediate smile on his lips, dimples all too showy and excited to see the younger. It made Changkyun oddly nervous but he returned the smile to a lesser degree, "Happy Valentine's Day! I got you a gift," he waved his arm towards the still unassuming box that was taking up so much room in the walkway, "Well, I got Daewon a gift. But technically it would be for us too," Hoseok chuckled to himself behind Jooheon as he made his way into the kitchen where Hyungwon was still standing, watching as the scene unfurled in front of his eyes. Hyungwon was looking for the tiniest details and tiniest indication that the two of them were just playing dumb and knew better. This was a date, "Depends on how you look at it," Jooheon looked so proud of himself. 

"That doesn't answer my question," Changkyun chuckled, crossing his arms over his chest and letting his forearms rest on the crest of his bump. His smile was more confident now, amused at Jooheon's antics. He couldn't help it and hadn't even known until it was too late, "What is it?"

Jooheon's smile was even wider now and it was such a sight to take in. Changkyun didn't think his smile could be any bigger, "It's a crib!" he exclaimed, turning to his side so Changkyun's view wasn't obstructed anymore and he could see the brown box in all its glory. He raised his arms in front of himself and shook his hands in excitement, jazz hands adding to the effect and surprise. He heard both Kihyun and Minhyuk laugh in the kitchen but he didn't care. This was exciting and they were just jealous. They couldn't crush the moment. 

"A crib!?" Changkyun asked in disbelief, eyes growing wide as his heart picked up the pace. Peering closer at the box, he could now see the printed label taped to the face nearest him. He couldn't make out much except for the word 'crib' which was the important part, "You bought a crib?" it was right in front of him but his brain just wasn't comprehending it completely. 

"Yes! Daewon needs one and we haven't bought much for him," anything actually. They didn't have the time to really go out and get what they needed due to school and work, and with how tired Changkyun had been lately. He's been ineffably fatigued and it got in the way of doing much of anything after work and classes. He just wanted to stay at the house and sit or lay down, and even the thought of moving tired him out, "Just thought I'd get the ball rolling so we can start with everything else."

Changkyun nodded, thankful but simultaneously overwhelmed. Housing with a baby had been a stressor of his, the unknown of it all tearing his heart apart and creating a tension in his chest that was medically alarming sometimes. Money was also a concern, and cribs were quite pricey. Changkyun had been leaning towards purchasing a Moses basket since it would be his best option to save on both space and money. But here Jooheon was with a crib, something that was not inexpensive and Changkyun felt guilty that he surely spent most of his paycheck. He didn't have to do this kind of purchase on his own, they could have split the cost, but Changkyun still had to admit he was very grateful Jooheon made the effort. Daewon would need a crib eventually anyway, once he outgrew the basket if they started with one. In the long run, they were saving money and it eased the pressure that was stacked behind his eyes. Changkyun smiled, making his joy evident, "It's wonderful. Thank you so much, Jooheon hyung," a hug felt appropriate with such an amazing and thoughtful gift, but Changkyun despised hugs and couldn't force himself to initiate one. He wanted to try, but Jooheon wouldn’t let him. 

"You're very welcome! Where do you want me to put it?" Jooheon easily moved on without expecting anything in return and it made Changkyun feel good inside. He was just doing something good for their baby and it was yet another reflection of what kind of parent he would be. Changkyun thought about it every now and then and he was sure Jooheon was going to be a good father. He was so ready for their son and confidently so; something Changkyun was envious of. 

"My room is fine. Do you need help getting it there?" Changkyun asked as he watched Jooheon attempt to move the crib box on his own, Hoseok too distracted by Hyungwon to notice he was needed again. Jooheon hoisted it into his arms and held it awkwardly, obviously struggling with the weight and size. Changkyun moved on instinct to grab one side, prepared to lift half the load Jooheon was carrying but the older made a swift move and avoided his advance altogether, a disapproving frown on his face. Changkyun wasn't allowed to carry anything heavy and Jooheon was going to make sure of it. 

"Don't you dare put a hand on this. I've got it," he assured as he started to carry the box to Changkyun's room with quick steps, doing his best to stay composed as he did the task on his own. Changkyun had to laugh at his friend, amused by his determination and apparent stubbornness since he didn’t just ask Hoseok for help again. Changkyun followed close behind in time to watch Jooheon all but throw the box against the empty wall in Changkyun’s room, propped up to avoid damage. He was panting, inhaling deeply in bouts of sighs in hopes to catch his breath and Changkyun had to giggle at the sight. Jooheon was being a bit ridiculous, “Good?” he asked, straightening up the best he could with an exaggerated smile as he tried to appear okay. 

Changkyun nodded happily with a genuine smile as he was thoroughly amused by Jooheon’s character, “Perfect. Thank you so much again. You really didn’t have to do that.”

Jooheon’s brows furrowed in thought as he pried for the deeper meaning of Changkyun’s words, “If you’re talking about buying the crib, of course I had to,” he argued with a deep frown but lilt to his voice, “You’re doing all the hard work growing Daewon. The least I could do was buy a safe bed for him,” his smile he brought on was blinding and the switch between facial expressions gave Changkyun whiplash, “And if you’re talking about moving the crib here, of course I had to as well. You for sure were not going to do it when you could get hurt. That’s the last thing I want,” Changkyun was more prone to injury and being as far along as he was it would be detrimental if he really caused himself harm. Changkyun wanted to argue but Jooheon beat him to it, “Let me do things for you. I wanted to buy a crib and I want to help in any way I can because that’s all I can do when you’re doing the hard part,” Jooheon had seen both his sister and Changkyun go through pregnancy and they never ceased to amaze him with what they could handle, “I just wanted to do something nice for you.”

Changkyun felt his cheeks grow red and stared at the floor, “You always do something nice for me,” Jooheon always showed Changkyun how amazing of a person he was and every day it just proved how much of a fool he had been since they met after that party. It was times like these that made him regret his attitude towards Jooheon in the beginning. 

“Because you always deserve something nice done for you,” Jooheon’s dimples were blinding now and Changkyun really didn't think his heart could handle how sweet he was being. It was sickeningly so and he felt it was again, too much, “Which reminds me, I got you something else. But it’s in the kitchen,” he set it there upon entering the house to keep it safe before he and Hoseok had brought in the crib. The gifts were very delicate and could get damaged far too easily. 

More? Changkyun was starting to feel terrible about not getting Jooheon anything for Valentine’s Day, but that would just affirm that this was a date. You brought a date gifts on Valentine’s Day and this was not supposed to be a date. Changkyun could barely register when he started speaking, panic and guilt panging at his heart and thrumming in his ears, “You shouldn’t have.”

Jooheon chuckled to himself, light-hearted and endeared. His smile made his eyes disappear and form into pretty crescents and made little dips in his cheeks, “I know but I wanted to. You’ll really like it. Now come on,” Jooheon directed with a wave of his hand and Changkyun had no choice but to follow, moving as fast as his body would let him.

“But I didn’t get you anything,” Changkyun blurted out as they neared the kitchen, finally gaining the courage to admit he hadn’t thought this far ahead. The thought hadn’t crossed his mind and he felt guilty after seeing all the effort Jooheon had gone through for him. It was too personal and too romantic for him and that was not something he wanted to play around with at the moment. He had too much going on to worry about anything romantic with anyone let alone Jooheon. 

But Jooheon smiled kindly and the softest laugh he ever procured lilted from his heart-shaped lips, “I wasn’t expecting you to get me anything. I got you things because I knew you’d like them,” he was so sincere and it was devastating in Changkyun's chest, “I don’t need or want anything. This was something I wanted to do for you, so don't feel guilty or obliged to give me anything in return. I'm just here to make you smile,” Changkyun's eyes widened at his words and Jooheon only watched fondly before continuing on his way to the kitchen, Changkyun stammering after him in step. He couldn’t believe this was the same Jooheon he had met all those months ago. He felt so touched at his selflessness and thoughtfulness, and he was finally deciding to stop being so stubborn and go with the flow. Jooheon was just being kind and Changkyun didn't have to worry about the implications of his gifts. Maybe he had been ridiculous from the beginning. 

Once in the kitchen, Jooheon went straight to the dining table where a paper grocery bag sat tall and untouched. He quickly reached into the bag and pulled out two bottles of red wine, holding one in both hands, “I brought wine!” he announced with a wide smile and looked proud of himself. He hadn't been asked to bring anything to share but he thought he should anyway since it was a holiday and it was a Friday night. No one had thought to peek at what was inside the bag beforehand, too occupied with Jooheon and Changkyun being all flirty and weird, and based on everyone’s reactions it was a total and welcomed surprise. Wine always made a night with company fun.

"Jooheon ah always comes through!" Minhyuk exclaimed as he stepped forward and took one bottle to inspect the name and brand, "Good quality too! Looks like we're having a good night tonight!" 

“Too bad I can’t have any,” Changkyun mentioned offhandedly with no bad intentions. Drinking was completely prohibited while pregnant and honestly, since finding out he was expecting, Changkyun did not miss alcohol in the slightest. With its absence in his life, he was sure he would never drink again once Daewon was born and he was allowed. Drinking was never fun anyway and drinking is how his son came to be after all, and he didn't need any more children for a long time if ever. 

Hearing Changkyun interject, Jooheon gave a mischievous smile and clicked his tongue, “I have the solution for that,” he proudly announced as he gently set the remaining bottle of wine in his hand onto the table before he reached into the paper bag again and pulled out another glass bottle, “Here we have non-alcoholic grape sparkling so you could have a glass with us," he presented the bottle to Changkyun so he could read the label himself and sure enough it was alcohol-free and safe for him to drink, "I didn't want to leave you out of the festivities." 

A smile gently curled onto Changkyun's face as he read the label. The excitement that was swirling in his lower belly reminded him of New Year's and Christmas when he was a child, all good memories with his brother that were fond in his mind. Their parents always bought them a bottle of sparkling to enjoy and they always drank the whole bottle just the two of them as fast as they could and stayed up as late as they could with sugar rushes and happy smiles keeping them conscious. Those were some of Changkyun's favorite memories, "I haven't had this since I was little. Thank you so much, hyung," Changkyun cooed, loving the fact that he would be making a toast later with his sparkling and his friends' wine. The idea was silly but he also enjoyed it. There were champagne flutes and wine glasses in the cabinets and he would be using one tonight for the first time since moving into the house. 

"And I have one more thing for you," Jooheon broke the news with another dimpled smile, gently removing the bottle from Changkyun's hands and setting the sparkling next to the wine on the table before reaching into the bag one last time. Changkyun's eyes flitted towards Hyungwon's and the smug grin on his face irritated Changkyun. Changkyun knew what he was thinking, but he was so sure this was still not a date. Jooheon was just being kind and a good friend, "Hold out your hands," Jooheon demanded as he held whatever he retrieved behind his back. He looked so expectant, just waiting for Changkyun to play along.

Changkyun stood confused but blindly obeyed and held both his hands out, patiently waiting. Jooheon didn't take long to put the surprise in Changkyun's hands, making sure it was still steady as it settled in the younger's palms, "Happy Valentine's Day, Changkyun ah!" his smile was so blinding, hands raised in the air as if to reveal a huge and monumental surprise. It was the kind of gesture a parent would make when they gave their small child a gift, all expressive and exaggerated so they could feel excited as well. It made Changkyun smile in amusement. 

Curiosity killing him, Changkyun opened the box as fast as he could while still being careful and once the lid was extricated from the border he found three small cakes in the shapes of hearts, covered in white frosting with pink and red heart-shaped sprinkles sitting neatly on top. The cakes were adorable and Changkyun had a good idea of what kind of cake he was holding. The closer he peered the more he realized the frosting was not exactly frosting, but cream cheese, and there were very limited cakes that used cream cheese.

"Carrot cakes!" Jooheon exclaimed with a proud look on his face, "I saw them at the market when I was grabbing the wine and sparkling and thought they were perfect," because they were indeed perfect and he knew how much Changkyun would love to have them. Once Jooheon saw what they were there had been no second thoughts about his decision. Barely a thought actually. Upon reading the label he had grabbed the container before it fully comprehended and had been on his way to check out with a spring in his step. 

Changkyun snuck another careful glance at Hyungwon and noticed how he still had that same smug look on his face. Once they made eye contact Changkyun was blushing a light pink because Jooheon was still being too much and this was too thoughtful. Carrot cake had been Changkyun's most recent craving and it wasn't usually a dessert he would have chosen before he was pregnant. He hadn’t had it for years and now he wanted it all the time and was constantly taking trips to the grocery store to buy a premade cake or making his own with box mixes so he could have some. He could never have enough and once he was craving it he couldn’t get it out of his head until he had it in front of him. Jooheon of course knew this and Changkyun was sure he didn’t just happen to stumble upon these at the market. He had possibly gone to a bakery and out of his way to purchase these and again Changkyun was convinced Jooheon thought this was a date when Changkyun did not want to be on a date with him nor anyone. This was too romantic to be a ‘friend date’. 

“Thank you so much, Jooheon hyung,” Changkyun feigned a confident smile, skilled at hiding his true emotions and conjuring up what others expected of him. Changkyun was indeed excited for his dessert and very thankful but the mix of anxiety churning in his lower belly was smothering it a tad too much and drowning out that feeling. Despite that, Jooheon immediately bought his smile with no reason to believe otherwise, "These look amazing."

"Try them!" Jooheon insisted as he walked over to the silverware drawer to grab a fork, excusing himself past Minhyuk and Kihyun as they were wrapped up in each other. They were too busy feeding each other cookies and whispering to pay attention to what was going on around them, "I want to see if they're any good," Jooheon held the fork out to Changkyun and the younger hesitantly, yet gratefully accepted the gesture. 

Had Jooheon not done the moving for him, Changkyun would have grabbed a fork by himself because once it had registered what was in front of him all he wanted to do was eat the cake. Seeing them in front of him crushed what little will power he possessed and he needed to take a bite before he lost his mind over them, "Sure," fork in hand he started on the first cake and took a large chunk out of the heart, wasting no time lifting it to his mouth. That beloved carrot cake taste and cream cheese he had been craving for so long was wonderful and so familiar. Carrot cake was one of the best kinds of cake there was, “They’re amazing,” Changkyun sighed, possibly eating the best carrot cake he had ever tasted in his life, joy melting in his mouth. Even Daewon gave a happy little wiggle in his lower belly, reminding Changkyun he was there and that he was the one who was making him crave the dessert, “Daewon really likes them too,” he gave a gentle pat where he felt a foot poking out, calming his son so he wouldn’t give him a stomach ache. He was going to finish the rest of the cake and was still debating whether or not he was going to start on the second or save the rest for when he was going to inevitably want to eat carrot cake at 3 am. 

“Good! I’ll have to get you more then,” Jooheon hummed with a genuine smile, meaning what he said. It was a promise, especially if it was for his son, “But for now I think it would be nice if we started the night by raising a toast,” he suggested as he turned to grab the glass bottles sitting on the dining table, “To friendship, to Valentine’s Day, and to the crazy year we’ve all had,” everyone had gone through something this year so far, so this toast was for everyone, especially Jooheon and Changkyun. They’d possibly gone through the most, “Because Valentine’s Day is more than a day about romantic love. It’s about all kinds of love. Minhyuk ah, grab me the glasses so we can pour some drinks,” Minhyuk easily obeyed with a silent nod and a smile and Changkyun watched bemusedly as he started on a second carrot cake, will power still so weak to save it for later. That was the easiest Minhyuk had ever complied to someone telling him to do something. At least to Changkyun’s knowledge. It was a marvel to behold and a sight he would probably never get to see again.

And soon everyone had their glass of wine in hand, Changkyun being the exception with his glass of grape sparkling, and they raised a toast to themselves. It was a thoughtful gesture and Changkyun had to admire Jooheon’s thought process when it came to all of them collectively. This once again brought him to the conclusion that Jooheon was just being kind and that he was aware this was not a date. Jooheon was a kind person and a good friend and that was the end of that. There was nothing romantic beyond that and Changkyun felt like he could take a deep breath in relief and properly enjoy his night with his close friends.

After finishing their glasses, both Hoseok and Hyungwon pouring themselves more wine, they moved their party to the living room where they would proceed to watch a movie. Everyone stood and waited until Changkyun was the first to sit, planting himself onto the softest spot on the softest couch and making himself comfortable there after adjusting himself to his liking. It was a habit of everyone’s now to let the youngest of them all take his seat first so he could find the best spot to be comfortable in. With him getting bigger and rounder every day, comfort was growing difficult to come by and their care for the youngest always exceeded their own. They always let Changkyun pick the spot he was most comfortable in because he deserved it. Growing a baby was hard work, anyone could see that. All of his friends just wanted to make it the slightest bit easier on him. 

Their already few options even more limited by Changkyun’s choice, Hyungwon and Hoseok helped themselves to the couch perpendicular to where Changkyun was and the smaller couch, closer to a love seat, went to Kihyun and Minhyuk. Both of their resting spots were large enough to leave them all comfortable and Changkyun was happy with his choice, letting his head rest on the back of the couch for a second as he stretched out his neck. Changkyun didn’t think much of where Jooheon was going to sit until the cushion to his right was dipping and he found Jooheon settling to his right. He had forgotten that small detail. Changkyun knew Jooheon didn’t need to ask to sit next to him, he’d never had to before, but with how confused he was about the night so far he didn’t want the older so close. But he couldn’t tell Jooheon that without raising suspicion and Changkyun would rather avoid that conversation entirely. So he let Jooheon sit close, offering him a small smile when Jooheon looked his way. He smiled back and those dimples were just too precious and innocent.

Tonight was going to consist of drinking (optional of course), eating cookies and chocolates, ordering two heart shaped pizzas, and watching a movie, possibly two. There hadn’t been an elaborate plan to celebrate Valentine’s Day and they had decided to keep it causal and low-key. Hyunwoo wasn’t there and wouldn’t be home until late, and Minhyuk and Kihyun were leaving at some point to catch a dinner reservation so almost half of their friend group would be gone by the end of the night. It was better to spend the night at the house, something Hyungwon and Hoseok were perfectly fine with. Their introverted tendencies made it so the best nights together were spent in the house. Changkyun felt the same, preferring staying in rather than going out, but Jooheon was the opposite and the fact that he was going to stay in for Valentine

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter