Steal Your Heart

better by the day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Changkyun hadn't realized that Kihyun and Minhyuk's birthdays were so close together until Hyungwon was telling him that he had planned a party for them in the private room of their dorm lounge. He felt bad for not knowing since he had been getting closer to the two over this semester, his own stubbornness preventing him from learning and retaining personal information for fear of losing those ties. To make up for it, having missed Minhyuk's birthday by almost three weeks, Changkyun bought gifts for him and Kihyun, but Kihyun's gift was more timely since Changkyun was only late by a day. They were small since he wasn't looking to blow his hard-earned money on extravagant gifts when he had a baby to save up for but it was enough for him to establish that he was thinking of them. Minhyuk might think it a bit late to hand out birthday gifts, but then again, he instigated this mess with involving Jooheon and not to mention Daehyun who was very understanding and had chosen not to say anything, thank God. He'd caused a lot of headaches for Changkyun and so there was no room for him to sulk over a late birthday gift. He was lucky he was getting anything at all. 

And to make it more personal, Changkyun chose to give them the gifts when he was alone with them, not wanting that kind of attention shed on him by others when it came time to the party. It wasn’t much, some candy and some muffins he’d bought at the grocery store. He wasn’t the best at baking and he didn’t dare attempt making those by hand, and everyone liked baked goods from grocery stores. Changkyun knew he did, especially now that he was pregnant. 

He hand-delivered them to their door when he knew both of them were home. It was easy to tell since he could always hear Minhyuk’s voice through the wall, and if Minhyuk was talking that meant Kihyun was home. Seeing as Minhyuk was getting louder and he was now addressing Kihyun, Changkyun removed himself from the comfort of his bed and grabbed the gifts, holding them in his arms timidly. 

Changkyun was very nervous even though this was a small gesture. He didn’t have the best relationship with either of them, although he had a better one with Kihyun than Minhyuk, and he was afraid of any judgment he could receive. Even though he wouldn’t be able to hear what they were thinking of him, the thought of it was unsettling and making his stomach turn in weird ways. It was almost enough for him to turn around and take the gifts for himself, but before he could retreat he knocked on the door and stood still, holding his breath and almost praying that no one would answer. Minhyuk was loud enough that the volume could cover up Changkyun's knocking, so it was possible and he could go on scot-free and spare himself the embarrassment of an awkward encounter. 

Unfortunately, he wasn’t so lucky. It took a second before the door was opened and at first, Changkyun hadn’t been met by a person and was instead met with the wall on the other side of the room. It wasn’t until he peered in that he noticed how Minhyuk had opened the door while still lying in his bed, body stretched over the edge and reaching out for the door handle. Minhyuk looked just as surprised as Changkyun felt, but neither chose to address it until Minhyuk removed himself from the bed and was standing now, “Changkyun?” Minhyuk asked, surprised to see his next-door neighbor at his door. This had never happened before and the confusion was understandable, but it made it even harder for Changkyun to proceed. It was much more complicated to do this in person compared to how he imagined it before. 

"Hey, hyung," Changkyun commenced with a shaky voice, suddenly finding his throat very dry and like he was trying to speak through gravel lodged in his esophagus, "I got you something," he started, finding that the way he had rehearsed this earlier had escaped his mind and that he no longer knew how to address this properly and without making himself look like a fool, "It's a late birthday gift to both you and Kihyun hyung.”

At the mention of his name, Kihyun finally entered Changkyun’s line of sight. He had been sitting on his bed and making some last-minute changes to a paper that was due soon when Changkyun had entered the room. Interest peaking, he finally peeled himself from his homework and hopped up, deciding it would be polite to greet his neighbor and ask how he was. The smile on his face was all telling of his joy to meet his unit mate and it made Changkyun feel more comfortable about the situation, "You didn't have to do that, Changkyun ah," Kihyun shook his head, eying the food the younger was clutching in his arms. It wasn't wrapped or anything and Changkyun felt a little ridiculous not thinking of doing that beforehand. Putting them in a bag would have been better than how he was presenting his gifts now. His lack of ability to plan ahead of time was rather impressive. 

"I wanted to though, so here you go. Happy birthday," he nodded, handing the gifts out for Kihyun to take as he made his way past Minhyuk. It was a little forceful since he unintentionally them at the older, but Kihyun caught them quickly before they could fall at all. Changkyun was fumbling and felt like an idiot, "Sorry," he mumbled under his breath, pulling his arms away when Kihyun had a sufficient grip on the treats Changkyun had bought them. 

"No no, don't apologize. I really appreciate this. Thank you so much," Kihyun smiled, a beautiful smile that could light up the room. Minhyuk was newly interested and was now standing next to Kihyun, investigating what was theirs and seeing what he would like to start eating, "Will you be at the party tonight?" Kihyun asked. It was in nearly two hours and that's where Hyungwon was now as he readied the private room for a small party, a more intimate setting among close friends. It was going to be small and that was a party Changkyun could go to without feeling overwhelmed. 

"Of course," Changkyun chirped, flushed smiled blooming his cheeks red in embarrassment. He was a little too eager of an answer and it was very out of character for him to be so upbeat among others. He felt vulnerable doing so and while it was something that he was trying not to let bother him, it was a hard mentality to break, "Why wouldn't I be there?" he knew exactly why he wouldn't be there and Kihyun did too. Changkyun was still adjusting to having so many people around him and was still attempting to find his spot among the already established friend group; that could make anyone a little nervous. And Kihyun knew Changkyun was still a little rocky with Jooheon; it was understandable after the absolute riddle they were in. What he didn’t know was that Changkyun was avoiding Jooheon entirely, and it was something he didn’t need to know. That was none of his business and Changkyun would prefer he keep it that way. 
“Just making sure,” Kihyun smiled wide, keeping neutral in an attempt at masking his curiosity of this person and in all honesty, he was excited to have Changkyun at his small birthday party. He’d heard so many great things about him from Hyungwon and he wanted to experience that first hand. Changkyun was too guarded around him to experience that for himself. 

The conversation was dwindling into nothing and it looked as though Changkyun was going to leave but Kihyun initiated more, not wanting to cease what was a good opportunity for some personal inquiries: like, “How are you? How’s the baby?” Minhyuk perked up, having been dead silent this entire interaction. Despite his slip-ups in the past, he was interested in Changkyun’s pregnancy because a baby was an extraordinary thing. No one could deny that. He was also interested in Changkyun and had such questions like why he was so secretive and to himself? There was a lot of mystery to Changkyun. 

Turning his attention to the baby he was growing seemed to be a card everyone played when trying to keep the conversation going and the image of the bump hidden under his oversized hoodie was at the forefront of his mind. Changkyun should probably answer, and answer with more than he usually would with anyone he spoke to besides Hyungwon, “I’m pretty tired, but when am I not?” he questioned, noticing the soft smile Minhyuk gave him from over Kihyun’s shoulder, a hint of humor in it as well. It was something most college kids could relate to, “And my back is starting to ache a little bit. But other than that I’m just peachy.” 

Both Kihyun and Minhyuk nodded and it was Minhyuk that spoke up next, “How’s the baby?” he asked following Kihyun. He was well aware that Changkyun was heading toward that but he wanted to know now. He was fascinated by this baby, he truly was. 

Changkyun felt his gut twist and he didn’t want to answer. Minhyuk was still mostly a stranger and speaking about his baby didn't seem all too pleasant when he still didn't know much about Minhyuk. But, it would be polite to answer and an opportunity to open up more and gain his friendship. That was something he was supposed to be working on, “They’re great. Hanging in there,” he shrugged, not knowing what else to say, except for something he had read that morning shortly after he woke up and it was pretty interesting, “They’re about the size of an orange this week, so that’s pretty cool,” he genuinely thought so. He had an orange-sized baby inside of him. That was insane to think about. 

“Whoa... Hold on!" Minhyuk motioned, holding one finger up in front of Changkyun’s face before pushing past his roommate and the pregnant boy. He headed towards their unit fridge and opened the door, reaching in and grabbing something before turning around with a ridiculous grin and lifting his hand to reveal that he had grabbed an orange for reference. It was a good-sized orange, but not obscenely huge and not overly small. Almost the perfect size, “Like this?” 

Changkyun figured that would be the size of his baby, he wouldn’t know for certain either way. His baby didn't seem that big, but then again there was a lot of room for his baby to grow into. He couldn't tell from the outside that there was a baby just yet, “Yeah, probably like that,” putting it into perspective made it even wilder that a baby that size was in his belly. A hand unconsciously rested against the slight curve of his bump, amazement at what his body was doing all too prevalent, “But even then, oranges are all shapes and sizes so I’m not sure how accurate that is.” 

Minhyuk pouted with a nod, placing the orange back in its original spot, “I guess you’re right.” 

Sensing that Changkyun was nearing his limit, Kihyun piped up, “Again, thank you so much for the gifts, that was really nice of you to do. And while I would like to continue talking and ask more about your day, I really need to finish my essay and turn it in before the party or I won’t get it done in time. I can’t afford that kind of mishap,” he started to retreat back into his room at a good pace, not too eager, and Minhyuk was close to follow. He had no pressing assignments to finish but he had been watching a new show on Netflix that he wanted to continue with, “Thank you so much again. We’ll see you at the party, okay?” Kihyun inquired, hoping the answer was yes still. He hoped he hadn't overpassed any boundaries. 

Changkyun smiled and nodded, feeling satisfied with the conversation overall and his ability to stay even though his brain was telling him to leave, “Definitely. I’ll be there,” he felt good about his answer. He was still a little skittish but many of the doubts he had beforehand were gone and he truly wanted to attend and have some fun, as much as he could with what was going on in his life, “Should I bring anything?” he figured he should since the party was so small. It wouldn’t be the best idea to show up without something to share, at least to him. His mother raised him with the idea to be a polite guest and bring something for others to eat. It was rude not to and that kind of mentality stuck with him. 

“No, not at all! You already bought these for us,” Kihyun reminded with his arms gesturing what was in his hold, a small laugh leaving his lips. His smile could light up a room and it made his features so soft; it was hard for Changkyun not to feel comfortable in his presence, “You’re all good. Thank you again.” 

That was reassuring and brought a toothy smile on, “Alright, I’ll see you soon then,” Changkyun nodded, a slight bow to his posture, “And again, Happy Birthday,” both of the older boys thanked him with enthusiastic smiles and that was that. Changkyun was heading off to his room with another farewell from both Kihyun and Minhyuk, a smile on his lips. All in all, he felt good about the conversation he’d had and he wouldn’t mind speaking to the two some more in the future. It wasn’t as bad as he had imagined. He should be a little more trusting and maybe not judge so easily. They were so kind when Changkyun hadn’t been. He should change that and be more inviting. 

------- -------

Hyungwon had needed Changkyun to help set up some things last minute and he found that he couldn't tell the older no even if he wanted to. It was a small favor that Hyungwon asked of him and he was thrilled to help. Changkyun was in a good mood and was willing to socialize and come out of his room to help someone he cared about. That wasn't something he could say he's wanted to do before and it was something he was momentarily proud of. 

He hadn't been asked to do much and Changkyun believed it was due to the fact that Hyungwon was getting more and more protective of Changkyun and his actions. Just the other day, Changkyun had been doing his dishes and Hyungwon had come home from class. Spotting him standing at the sink and starting on his first plate, Hyungwon had nearly sprinted to stop his hands from working at the grime on the ceramic. 'You need to sit down and rest', he claimed, hip checking Changkyun out of the way so he could scrub at his dirty dishes. It was no different from now, making sure Changkyun did the easiest tasks possible and leaving him barely anything to work with. He'd been asked to set up snacks for guests to grab when they arrived and that consisted of opening bags of chips and dumping them in bowls and setting out glasses and soju bottles to grab. He'd asked if there was anything else he could do and Hyungwon had just told him to sit and relax. He'd expected it, but there was no winning with Hyungwon. Whatever he says goes. 

So Changkyun was sitting on the couch and staring at his phone as Hoseok and Hyungwon worked in near silence, focus on the party and everything they still needed to set up. It had taken a while but eventually Changkyun was able to gain the courage to speak up, believing that this would be a good time to mention, "I invited Hyunwoo hyung," it was probably a bit too late to bring up but better bring it up now instead of leaving it a surprise when he shows up. Neither Hyungwon nor Hoseok asked for further clarification but Changkyun offered it anyway, "He didn't have anything planned for tonight so I thought it would be a good idea to invite him over and he said he'd love to come. I hope that's okay," he shrunk in on himself, feeling as though he should have asked if it was okay in the first place. This was Minhyuk and Kihyun's celebration and inviting a stranger probably wasn't the best idea. 

Hyungwon was pleasantly surprised in all honesty. Changkyun was branching out and inviting a friend to a function, and that was such a huge improvement to his character that Hyungwon actually felt immensely proud of the younger. He liked Hyunwoo and to hear that he was going to be at this party was actually exciting. He didn't have many chances to spend time with him, so it was nice to get that chance again even though a total surprise, "No, that's great! We'll introduce him to the guys and he'll fit right in," his smile was soft and welcoming. It made Changkyun's spike of anxiety lessen to a more manageable point. 

"You think so?" Changkyun asked, hoping he was right. He really liked Hyunwoo and considered him a friend already. He'd gotten to know him over text messages since they'd met for coffee and through all this conversing, he'd come to find out that he was a really great person through and through. He didn't judge and was so quick to support Changkyun with everything that it was hard not to enjoy his company. It meant a lot to hear that Hyunwoo would be welcomed with open arms. Every other person attending the party knew each other and were good friends, not including Changkyun. It was no fun being the odd one out, and having Hyunwoo there with him would make him feel less alone. 

Hyungwon nodded enthusiastically, bouncing a little closer to where Changkyun was sitting, "I do. And he and Hoseokie started school the same semester too, and they've probably had run-ins without them knowing. Maybe they'll find some common meeting points between them when he gets here," Hyungwon shrugged, feeling his smile starting to hurt his cheeks. He glanced at his boyfriend and Hoseok shrugged in agreement, small nod added, "Maybe you'll be best friends by the end of the night," he guessed, a light-hearted ring of laughter following. 

"But you're my best friend," Hoseok pouted jokingly, stopping what he was doing to frown and pout at his boyfriend, "You're enough for me," there was an underlying tone of humor to his voice and Changkyun laughed under his breath, watching as Hyungwon readied himself for fun banter. Hyungwon could be either very lovey-dovey and clingy, or he could taunt and fight Hoseok. It was either-or with no in-between. 

"Ew, did you really just call me your best friend?" Hyungwon fake gagged, finding the statement entirely too clingy and disgusting. It was very much a cliche, "I'm your boyfriend." 

"You're not just my boyfriend, you're my best friend," Hoseok reiterated but even then he was cringing at his own words, face visibly scrunching up as though in pain and urging Hyungwon into side-splitting laughter. Changkyun was no different, having known people in the past who had claimed something similar. Of course though, it was ideal to be dating someone who knew you like a best friend would, but solely marking their significant other as their best friend unironically was horribly cringy and Changkyun couldn't help the ticklish twist in his stomach after hearing the statement. It was all too funny for him. 

"Stop!" Hyungwon admonished as he playfully pushed at Hoseok's shoulder with one hand, feeling his heart in his stomach with how awful that sounded. He was overwhelmed with chagrin, "Stop being disgusting. Bring back the normal Hoseok who isn't sentimental and romantic. It's nasty when you get this way,” and then to just annoy Hyungwon more, Hoseok pulled out just about some of the cutest aegyo Changkyun had ever seen. It was impressive honestly and he wondered how the older could pull off such looks when he was muscular to no end. It was when Hoseok made a noise that was embarrassing and hilarious that Changkyun lost it and fell into a fit of uncontrollable laughter. 

He proceeded for a while, his asive laughter filling the room and both Hoseok and Hyungwon noted how happy he sounded. His laugh was loud yet cautious; it was the kind of laugh that didn't fit his features. He always looked so serious and focused, and to hear his laugh at a higher pitch than his deep voice and careful manner was a mixture of jaw-dropping and heart-warming. Changkyun was changing right before their eyes, allowing himself to be himself and to relax around others. It was progress and Hyungwon wanted to give Changkyun the biggest hug, but that was still too much for him to process. Give it more time and Hyungwon would be draped over Changkyun every moment of the day; hopefully vice versa. 

Changkyun's laughter faltered when the door to the private room opened up, composing himself so the next guest didn't have to endure the volume of his voice. It was about time everyone was supposed to walk in, limited to seven of them total, and Changkyun didn't know who he was expecting first, but he definitely wasn't anticipating Jooheon to enter those doors. Beforehand, Changkyun had asked Hyungwon if said boy was coming to the party and Hyungwon had claimed he wasn't; something about being busy with an assignment due that night. He had been truthful and Changkyun could see that, but this was something neither had been anticipating. His laughter stopped entirely then. The tone shifted to a terrifying degree, the aura dragging and thick. 

"Hey, Jooheon," Hoseok greeted, shortly followed by Hyungwon's own greeting, shock-ridden yet friendly. Changkyun kept silent on the couch in the far corner of the room, "Thought you said you weren't coming?" he inquired, worrying about what Changkyun would be thinking right now. Hoseok was still friends with Jooheon and not greeting him would be rude, especially since they'd been friends for a while now, "This is a nice surprise."

"I wasn't planning on it, but I figured I should come and support my boys," he shrugged with a small smile on his lips, hands in his pockets, "What kind of friend would I be if I didn't show up to their birthday party? A pretty ty friend, that's for sure. So here I am," he spread his arms, enunciating his presence in the room, "And I'm ready to have some fun!" his exclamation was followed by a bit of silence but it was filled by more conversation initiated by Hoseok. 

Changkyun felt anxiety in the pit of his stomach, itching to crawl up his throat and rear its ugly head in full, but he was bracing himself against that. This was not the time nor the place to do this, so he was doing his best to keep composed and grounded. He momentarily busied himself by grabbing something to eat from the assortment of snacks he had helped set up, removing himself from the couch to grab something sweet. Anything to keep his focus off the one person he was trying to avoid the most. 

"Well grab a beer and sit down. We still have to wait on Minhyuk and Kihyun," Hyungwon directed, hand waving in the direction of the snack table. Doing so meant that Jooheon would be in closer proximity to Changkyun and it had his stomach turning. But before Jooheon could move an inch, Minhyuk and Kihyun were entering the room with expectant smiles on their face as their heads peeked in. Hyungwon's focus was then on the two birthday boys and he was no longer concerned with Changkyun's inner turmoil. Well, he was always concerned, but there were more pressing matters to attend to. The guests of honor were here and this whole event was formulated for them. It would be rude not to speak to and welcome them. 

Jooheon hugged both Kihyun and Minhyuk, speaking to them for a bit and Changkyun was thankful for this momentary reprieve. He just needed to slot himself next to Hyungwon and Hoseok and he would be okay and have an out so he didn't have to speak to him. Eying the couple now though, he noticed how close they were as they spoke to the newcomers, holding each other's waists with smiles on their faces. They were happy with each other's company and it felt wrong to walk up and try to disrupt that with his own issues. Changkyun dug at his palms with his nails, most likely leaving marks as he stuck to himself by the snack table. He grabbed his phone from his pocket, texting Hyunwoo to see how close he was to arriving at their dorm. Hopefully close enough to save him from this torture and not leave him feeling so alone and by himself. He needed someone, anyone to help him through the near panic he was afraid of letting take control. He sent his text and the approach of another person stole his attention, head shooting back up to identify who he was about to speak to. Just to his luck, because the universe likes to with him like that, it was Jooheon with a beer in hand and an awkward smile on his face. 

Changkyun wanted to throw up right then and there. 

"Hey," he started a bit cautiously, eyebrow quirked innocently. He looked far too maintained for his own good and Changkyun thought how cruel that was, considering he was the one panicking at the moment. He knew what was coming but he wasn't ready to talk about this with Jooheon, or anyone really. Not now, not later, not ever. It would be easier that way, "I haven't heard from you in a while." 

For good reason, Changkyun thought to himself. Aloud, he nodded and spoke with a low and quiet voice, aiming to be cordial, "You haven't," he confirmed, avoiding eye contact with everything he had. He grabbed the hydro flask he had brought down from his room and took a drink, more reason not to speak more. What he would do to take a shot right now. He was going to need it with all the evident pressing that was going to take place. But alas, he was pregnant. 

"Well, is there a reason for that?" Jooheon asked, sounding a bit more forceful this time. It was far from aggressive, but he was definitely trying to get an answer out of Changkyun, and a good one at that, "For not keeping in touch without telling me why?" that sounded a little more direct, his prying taking further purpose. 

"Not really," Changkyun shrugged, making eye contact for a moment before looking away again. He was too nervous to hold it any longer, "I've just been really busy lately," which also wasn't a lie. Finals were creeping closer and he was busy finishing projects and studying. There was a lot to do, and he didn't even mention the stress he felt about his pregnancy and his family. Going home for Christmas felt more like a death wish than a positive thing. 

"Too busy to text me back? I doubt that," Jooheon frowned, anger furrowing his brows and features. He was getting upset now, clutch on his beer unconsciously getting tighter. Changkyun could understand entirely but doing this right now was in no way mature. This was hostile and it was making Changkyun feel uncomfortable in an environment where he's supposed to feel safe, "You were never on your phone long enough to shoot me a quick text about how you are? Or telling me that you couldn't do lunch?" 

"It happens sometimes," Changkyun shrugged, moving to slip past Jooheon with confidence but the older wasn't having it. He blocked his path with his body and looking up, the expression on Jooheon's features was that of pure annoyance, "I don't look at my phone that often anymore," promptly, he remembered how he had just been on his phone when Jooheon walked up to him. He'd been caught in his own lie. 

Jooheon huffed, eyes rolling so far back into his head Changkyun thought he was going to see his own brain. Jooheon was keeping composed as possible as he formulated his next statement, keeping his own mouth at bay. Which was a feat since he usually spoke a mile a minute and whatever was on his mind, "Look, it's not fair that I'm the only one putting effort into keeping in contact when it's supposed to be the both of us," his beer switched hands, the nerves of this all making Jooheon fidgety. He was trying not to explode on the younger and make things more difficult than they already were. He knew he was losing Changkyun and he was hoping to keep him around still. He was having his baby after all, "We can't be friends when you don't even care." 

"That's not it," Changkyun defended quickly, anger spiking his mood at Jooheon's audacity. He wanted so badly to tell Jooheon that what he was doing was all for his sake. Jooheon didn't need all of this and Changkyun reminded himself that he was just a mistake to the older, something that was never meant to happen. He wanted Jooheon to leave him alone but that was hard to accomplish when they both had the same friends; gave more opportunities for them to cross paths. It was frustrating and was discouraging Changkyun from coming to any more of these kinds of things even though he was wanting to. Coming face to face with Jooheon was too painful and too destructive.

A hint of confusion was added to Jooheon's features before it was back to a defined frown, "Then what is it?" his hand gripped his beer, the other one curled into a fist in his jacket pocket. He was past frustrated, he was closing in on enraged and he wanted this answer to his question or he would snap. He had been trying so hard with Changkyun, so why the hell was he making this so arduous? "Tell me so I can understand." 

Changkyun felt he had no choice this time. Jooheon was so insistent and his attitude and intensity were all too convincing. It was so simple to say and it would clear up so much, but it was heavy and a hard conversation to have. A conversation that Changkyun would end up tanking and leading to Jooheon getting his way, which would be to stay and be a father. Changkyun just couldn't do that to him when he was still so young and had so much left to do. Talking about it would make everything harder and in all honesty, he wanted Jooheon to leave him alone and go live life. Do what Changkyun wouldn't be able to do and be a kid. Changkyun resented that whole-heartedly and if he had that choice, he would take it. Jooheon wasn't looking at the big picture, but Changkyun was. He was doing him a favor.

Changkyun was left horribly anxious now and he desperately didn't want to talk about this, leading to a very public fight in front of those he wants to be better friends with. He could see that Hyungwon was looking and the desire to step in was evident in his wide eyes, and he may have done it had a new guest not walked into the room. Changkyun's eyes darted towards the door to see who it was, still avoiding Jooheon's sight even though the older was frantically trying to keep his attention. Jooheon made a move to keep Changkyun in place but it was too late. Changkyun had already seen who entered and it was game over. Hyunwoo walked through that door, cautiously and politely, not wanting to disturb the peace that was already there. Little did he know, he was settling it and Changkyun was thankful for that. 

"Hyunwoo hyung!" Changkyun shouted, pushing past Jooheon with a hard knock to his arm, luckily not the one that was holding his beer, "You're finally here!" he crashed into Hyunwoo, hugging him tightly out of relief for not having to endure that pain any longer. Greeting with a hug was not something Changkyun would do unless it was his mother, father, or older brother. It felt so unnatural while also feeling so natural at the same time. Changkyun enjoyed it. 

"I am," he spoke, a little surprised at the physical greeting but hugging back anyway, "I see you didn't get my text. I told you I was walking up to the dorm, luckily someone was coming in at the same time as me so I had a way in without calling," he chuckled, arms loose around Changkyun's body. 

Changkyun had no idea. He had been too busy talking to Jooheon to check his phone, too upset to think about anything other than what Jooheon had been trying to get at. He pulled away awkwardly, hands going to rest at his sides, "I didn't, but I'm happy you're here. Now we can have a real party," Changkyun turned to face the other guests who were waiting patiently to greet the newcomer. He patted him on the shoulder as a way to guide him closer to everyone, "Let me introduce you to everyone." 

Changkyun noticed how Jooheon walked up to the group of people to and he threw the older a quick glance. He looked genuinely upset with a frown and furrowed brows, but that wasn't Changkyun's problem right now. Jooheon had tried so hard to ground Changkyun in the conversation, but he has no control over him whatsoever, not when Changkyun was as spirited and guarded as he was. Jooheon wasn't going to get anything out of him and Changkyun wanted to keep it that way. 

Hyungwon had been very excited to see Hyunwoo join them and gave him a hug as well. He had excitedly introduced his name and what he was studying as though Hyunwoo couldn't do that on his own, but he let Hyungwon speak since he was so happy to do so. Everyone had been so kind in welcoming Hyunwoo, someone they had never met before, and with how sociable every person was, it was easy to find out similarities, differences, and many things to talk about. Changkyun was glad that his friend found his place among their friend group while still being close to him. That was all he could ask for. 

"Okay okay, listen. If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?" Hyunwoo asked, taking a sip from his beer with an amused smile on his face. Impressed coos followed because it was such a good question, "Personally, I would rob a bank. College ain't cheap, am I right?" he lifted his beer as a mock toast, a testament to what he had just said. Several agreements followed and no one could deny that what Hyunwoo had spoken was a good answer. 

"Honestly, me too," Kihyun agreed, playfully hitting Minhyuk's shoulder when he uttered 'unoriginal' under his breath, "I need a lot more money if I want to open up new schools all around the world. And I agree, college is expensive," he held his hand out for Hyunwoo to high five and he did so enthusiastically, an adorable smile on his face with his tooth gap and small eyes on display. Kihyun's wide and toothy smile to match. 

Answers were passed along, spying on teachers or employers, more theft, anything that would be able to pass when no one could see you. Of course, it was all a fake situation and they couldn't, in good conscience, do those kinds of things. When it came to Changkyun, he had an answer that he'd been planning and he thought it was pretty funny. It was what everyone should have answered with, in his opinion, "If I was invisible for a day, I would walk the streets ," a smug smile followed, proud of his answer and nodding his head as though agreeing with himself. Hyungwon had hit his thigh as he laughed, real and genuine hysteria taking over as he did so. 

A chorus of reactions followed, all fascinated with Changkyun's answer and some even asking themselves why they hadn't thought of that before, "That's the perfect answer!" Hoseok laughed, perfect teeth on display, "And no one can see anything so it doesn't even matter. It's worth a try at least." 

"Exactly," Changkyun clapped his hands obnoxiously, "And clothes are uncomfortable. It would be nice to wear my birthday suit outside of the bathroom and my own room," and it would allow some semblance of comfort that he was having a hard time finding recently. He was getting bigger and his clothes were getting tighter, specifically his bottoms and jeans. And in general, being was a good time. 

"Amen, brother," Minhyuk agreed, stealing the bottle of soju from Kihyun's hand and taking a sip, protests from Kihyun following, "Wearing clothes is a societal norm. We should bring back the normalcy of , I think that would be awesome. Our ancestors would do it, we should too." 

"No way, man. I don't want to see your junk hanging out every day. I'm perfectly content with keeping a low profile," Hyungwon shook his head, "And besides, this is if you were invisible, not visible. There's a huge difference. Dumb . Happy birthday," he tossed in there just to remind him that he loved him, smirk on his lips as Minhyuk mocked him in good fun. 

They were arguing back and forth, explaining their opinions and Changkyun was enjoying all of it. He was laughing out of joy, happy that he was intermingled with all this chaos. Everyone had their own sense of humor and seeing it all at once was entertaining and downright hilarious. He had never hung out with everyone at once before and being here now in the moment, he was disappointed he'd never acted upon that chance before. He was having a blast. 

Changkyun had needed to stop laughing to catch his breath, finding it harder to breathe in as deeply as he typically wanted to. A symptom of pregnancy he hadn't thought would be so prominent so early on, but he had been proven wrong when he searched up why he was finding it so damn hard to breathe properly. He fixed his posture, sitting with his back straighter and his shoulders pulled back. Momentarily distracted, Changkyun glanced towards where he knew Jooheon was sitting, unable to help himself when it came to the tension that was still between them. 

Jooheon looked visibly annoyed and he had throughout the party. His features softened sometimes when something funny was said but most of the time he looked as though he had something on his mind. Sometimes when Changkyun snuck a peek at him, he had a pout on his lips and looked incredibly sulky. It was kind of cute, but the veil of Changkyun's own stubbornness was preventing him from attempting anything and having fun with Jooheon when that was something he was supposed to be doing. He averted his eyes and looked back towards Hyungwon who was sitting next to him with Hoseok. They were still having fun and not worrying, so he should be too. 

Eventually, their little party did come to an end. Minhyuk was completely wasted as per usual when it came to something like this. The birthday boy had fun and that was all that mattered and it was up to Jooheon to lead them back to their room, just in case Kihyun needed an extra hand even though he swore he could do it by himself. Hyunwoo had gone home with the urgency to finish a physics paper and no one had stopped him, understanding that school was important. Everyone said their goodbyes and that left Hoseok, Hyungwon, and Changkyun behind to clean up the room and everything they had touched in the process. They worked in silence and worked fast since it was two in the morning and everyone was tired and ready for bed. 

Hyungwon and Hoseok had been busy sweeping up all the food that had fallen on the floor, wrapping up extra food, wiping tables, etcetera. They were leaving it spotless for the next occupants and making sure they weren't going to get fined for not leaving the room up to code. The RA's didn't appreciate coming to check on a room and finding it filthy, so leaving it how they found it was the most courteous. They were doing their best to make sure they weren't going to get in trouble, especially Hyungwon since he was the one that booked this room for the night. 

That left Changkyun with the trash. There wasn't much, it was pretty light and wasn't much trouble, even though Hyungwon offered to take it out for him. All he had to do was walk out to the dumpster and the problem would be done with. It wasn't a far walk, wasn't a big task, it was easy and Changkyun was still independent and he could do things for and by himself. 

Walking through the dorm hallways alone, Changkyun realized how quiet it was. All of the loud tenants were gone at fraternity and sorority houses or anywhere but here. It was a lot different from how it was during the week when there was class to attend and homework to be done, students spending their time in their rooms to work. It was a nice change and Changkyun wouldn't mind it if the whole week and the rest of the semester were like this. He liked quiet and peace he realized, it was pleasant and serene. His life was anything but, and it was a relief to have some of that now when he could. Peace wouldn't last him much longer when he had a baby on the way and the father on his tail at all times of the day. Hopefully, that wouldn't be too much of an issue before long.

"Changkyun!" 

He'd spoken too soon, and again, the universe liked to with him like that. Changkyun cursed under his breath because he knew who that was, it was obvious. He turned over his shoulder reluctantly, briefly debating whether or not he should just keep walking and pretend he hadn't heard him. But, he was still a decent person and stopped, turning his body completely to see Jooheon exiting the stairwell that would lead up to all other floors of the dorm building. Jooheon had just come from Changkyun's unit and he'd had the absolute worst timing taking out the trash when he did, "Yes?" Changkyun answered, burying his hands in his sweatshirt pocket. He was frowning, irritated that he was being cornered by Jooheon, something he did not appreciate. This was the second time tonight as well; didn't he know when to stop? 

"We need to talk," Jooheon demanded with a frown on his features, stalking over to Changkyun and raising his hackles and baring his chest, a real show of dominance that he wasn't going to achieve, "And we will talk about this." 

"I don't have to talk about anything with you," Changkyun barked with an eye roll, anger boiling in his brain and chest, remaining indignant. He could feel his hands clenching in anger, starting to shake in fury as his nails dug into his palm. His palms were taking the brunt of the pain today. He hadn't been mad at Jooheon before tonight but with all this immature action, it was worth all the anger Changkyun had in his heart. Now was the time to let it out, "And can't you take a hint? I don't want to talk to you," he held his stance, standing strong and bolstered as Jooheon approached him. 

"Why though?" Jooheon asked in return, stopping when he was right in front of Changkyun, a bit too close for comfort and making Changkyun take a defensive step back, "Why won't you text me? Why won't you call me? Why won't you talk or even look at me?" Jooheon sounded furious and it was enough to stir Changkyun's nerves, stature faltering shortly before returning. He could fight his battles and fight them well. 

"You don't have to be so rude," Changkyun harumphed, wanting to pop this kid in the mouth. Of course, he was being hypocritical since he was also being rude. He'd been rude since he had his first sober conversation with the older, "And need I remind you, I'm not yours and I don't have to answer every time you text me. You can't just give me a moment to myself?" he inquired, wondering if Jooheon believed that Changkyun was supposed to bend to his every whim. 

"It's been a week, Changkyun, not a moment," he reminded, "And I haven't heard a word from you! I need answers and if you'd be so kind as to give me some then that would be great," he was restraining himself from losing it but he was so close because Changkyun was so frustrating and infuriating. The attitude Jooheon had was maddening and Changkyun couldn't help but return it with a passion. 

"You can't respect when I need some space?" Changkyun asked incredulously. He was losing some of his steam with the set in exhaustion and the mental strain. He was stretched thin, "And we have the same friends. You could have asked Hyungwon if I was okay, or where I was, what I was doing, I don't care! You had to wait until now to freak out and approach me when you have other people to talk to for days," even though he'd given that suggestion, he would have hated it if Jooheon had actually done that, "You tried to pull something in front o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter