Challenge

Cherry Blossom Crush

"dialogue" 'thoughts'

***************************************

Alone in a darkened room only lighted by 2 computer monitors, there was a young blonde woman who was rapidly clicking her mouse in rhythm with her keyboard as she stared at the action in front of her. Her intense stares began growing wider as she started to show her nervousness as time went on. "Majide!? Don't you dare cross that field!!!!" yelped the woman as she kept her eyes glued to the screen. The sounds from her gotten louder and louder until a scream finally burst out. "NOOOOOoooooooooo!!!! Kuso, I'm surrounded! If I can just ge-*BANG* *BANG*.............DAMMIT." She saw her name "CherryBlossom39" flash and her killer's name also......

 

".......dammit KwangBae."

 

That woman was Miyawaki Sakura, a 3rd Year transfer student at O.T.R. University located in Seoul, South Korea and self-proclaimed game expert.....or is she?


"You won agaaaaaaaaain?!" Sakura screamed in anguish. She faces yet another loss in a match of Apex Legends......a once a beloved game and now the cause of her current despair.


"Whhhyyyyyyyy does it always happen near the end of the match!?! They get too eager and start making too many mistakes...." she whined in defeat as she leaned back on her gaming chair.


She sat staring at the ceiling for the 4th time that night as she questioned her losses. She was visibly tired so she rubbed her eyes after going back to the main menu to call it a night. "All I wanted was just 1 win......1 win."


*ding* a small message popped in the game's private message chat and her headshot back to the screen in front of her with a piercing glare. 'Here it comes as usual.'


"gg Cherry, I win yet again. looks like tonight is just my kinda night hehe" was shown in the chat window of the game as she huffed in anger.


Her so-called online friend/rival of 4 months, "CakeKillerKwangBae" or KwangBae for short, has won yet another round in Apex Legends that night and as usual, she initiated their daily trash talk after winning. They've grown acquainted with each other after getting matched up in many a game and they've added each other as friends since their skill levels were very close. Naturally, that also made them highly competitive with one another and they've started calling each other rivals. Whenever the latest competitive game came out, they would quickly ask the other to play with them just to see who's better at the game....the life of competitive gamers it seems.


"I don't get why u never wanna team up with me, we could be a good team honestly." she read.


Sakura stared at the screen and groaned. "If this was 1v1, I'd beat you any day!". She had a lot of pride whenever it comes to her gaming skills but there are some nights when things just don't work the way she wanted it to.


"hehehehe. honestly, i love how u use the healer but u seem to always get bad teammates. ur scout was just running and gunning....who does that as a scout? basically left u 2 to die when you both kept chasing after him lol. when I saw him rush the open field in the last area, my lovely Devotion just wanted to say hi to him. "bang" is a nice hello right? hehehe. if u were on my team, I would've watched ur back well but nooooo, always being stubborn and never wanna team-up".


"You are my rival! It's more entertaining for me that way!". Sakura always loved playing games but mostly stuck to playing solo in games since to her, it was a test to challenge the world. She loved squad games like Apex, Fortnite or Splatoon but she never wanted to make teammates and just play in randoms. Her rival tried many times to convince her to play co-op games but she would never for reasons she would not say which frustrated the other girl often.


"yaaaaaaaaah c'mon, play co-op games with me once in a while plz? I don't want to be ur enemy all the time ya know, that's the main reason why I keep trolling u, idiot!"


"Nope. Keep trolling me, it keeps me motivated!" Sakura typed, still hot-headed at the moment.


"yaaaaahhh Tsun Tsun Cherry, u need to learn how to be a team player ya know? maybe it'll help u grow into a better player....like me lol."


"I got the better win record between us though" the blonde proclaimed.


"it's not about that. it's about growing up and getting out of ur comfort zone."


"............" Sakura thought for a bit and it made sense to her but she was just a bit too hard-headed.


"please Cherry? u know I don't mean the things I say when I tease u but u are really REALLY stubborn sometimes."


"I know, I just can't help it okay?!"


"ok how about this to settle it all.....we do an online 5 round gaming competition and if I win, u can't turn down playing co-op games with me anymore. also no more hiding urself, so full webcam and voice so we can TALK to each other. I'm tired of typing to u all the time!!"


"...........why? You just wanna see my face huh u ?" her eyes squinted in slight nervousness she saw the word "webcam".


"why not? and I'm not a , we've known each other for 4 months already and u are still so private."


"....there's a reason, I just can't tell you yet......" she hesitantly typed.


"I've gotten close enough right? I worry about u ALL the time because of this Cherry."


"Sorry, it's just that I'm not ready yet...." Sakura wrote, a bit sadden that she can't open up to her friend just yet.

 

It took a bit but Kwangbae finally replied back.


"I still don't know what happened to u in the past since u never wanna open up but please, I'll show u what's it like to have someone who can support u because like I said, I worry about u a lot u know? I have lots of friends but u are the only one who I can't get to open up.....like at all. we're friends aren't we? i get that u don't like it but u can't always face the world alone, even in games."


Sakura sighed as thoughts of events that happened in the not so distant past came back to haunt her once again bit by bit. Fame. Happiness. Jealousy. Rumors. Stalkers. Threats. Incidents. Wounds. Retreat. Transfer. 'I'm not ready....I'm still not ready.....I just need time to heal......I hope you'll understand for now.'


".............just wait okay KwangBae? I know........I truly know. Just give me a bit more time and I'll tell you in due time. And thank you for always playing with me, it helps me get my mind off it."


It felt like she got slapped by reality. While they were fierce rivals, they always had nights where they would just talk to each other that made these games feel worth it. KwangBae was always a mysterious girl to her and she can never tell what she's gonna say next. There would be nights where her rival would troll the heck out of her and then there are times like these where it seems like she would know the right things to say. A puzzle. A conundrum.  A KwangBae.


"I can wait Cherry."

 

"Again, thank you."

 

"yaaaaaaay! that's another win for me then?."


"Majide KwangBae? From one feeling to another in a flash huh?"


"c'mon, I'm just trying to change the mood back to normal.....just give it to me, please? we just leveled up our friendship!"


"you have levels? To what level out of what?" 'Is she serious? Ehhhhh, I guess life IS an RPG.....'


"I don't like u as much as food and food is a 10 so ur now a level 4/10 right now. u was a 3."


"That low!? Well, you're 8/10 on my weirdo level and 7/10 on trolling level. My roommate maxed out my trolling level for her...actually, you'd make good friends probably." 'Really a 3?! I would rank her at least a 6 on my own scale....maybe I'm just that boring to her. :('


"nice. we can double team u then hehehe. what's her tag?"


"Nope, not giving it to you....you meanie. How was I a level 3?"


"0/10 no jam, 0/10 no fun, 0/10 wins over me, 10/10 tsundere all the time"


"Congrats, you leveled up in trolling by 1 point. 8/10" 'Take that! How does it feel now?'


"yaaaaaaaaay, give it up to me, Kwangbaaaaaaaeeee da best troll"


'She enjoyed it? Well that .....wait why am I even doing this?!' "Well anywaaaaaay back to your challenge. How about if "I" win your challenge?"


"hmmm....whatever u want?"


"That's not fair to you then KwangBae, I'm all about fairness." Sakura stated. She was never a person that wanted an upper hand to achieve victory. The best competition is knowing your limits and trying to push past them through sheer effort she thought.


"ok ok yaaaaah, if anyone of us wins, they get to choose anything they want....within reasoning of course. for example, 1 month of free food delivery....3 times a week only since daily is too much."


"Oh yeah? Lucky I don't know where you live or I'd whoop your at anything!" her morale rose thinking of a certain prize: 'Holy crap, 1 month of free Yukhoe deliveries! Yes please!' That made salivate at the thought.


"suuuuuuuure u would. didn't u tell me 3 months ago that u were a transfer student studying here in Korea? maybe I could come to visit if it's not too far away so I can see if u can prove ur theory correct....it's probably not tho hehehe"


"Ehhhhhhhhh you remembered that? creepppppperr in the house. Yaaaabaiiiiii. Maji Yabai." Sakura typed with squinted eyes with questionable thoughts about her rival.


"I'm not, it's not my fault I'm a secluded homebody troll like u Cherry boo boo"


"KWANGBAE......ouch!?! That kinda hurt actually....I'm just trying to make it through life ya know? Like Shrek." 'that is true but jeez......right through the heart did ya?'


"don't worry poor Cherry Blossom....I'll find u and drag u out of ur cave! btw, I'm just like u ya big idiot. college life and so forth, yaddi yadda yadda"


"No thanks, my cave is fine lol......also what University?" she wondered.


"O.T.R. University in Seoul"


"What.....seriously?!" Sakura was surprised that her rival lived near her all along. 'wow....what a small world'


"no way...don't tell me we both go to the same university? yaaaaaaay, wut fun times we'll have very soon hehe! what dorm block are u in and also ur room number?"


"Yeah......also you sound like a stalker just now. With that said, the event doesn't have to be online only now!"


" and now a stalker?! c'mon Cherry, I just wanna meet u dammit!! now that I know u are within reach, I can eat all ur food!"


"Just kidding jeez! I'd truly love to meet you KwangBae but let's make it special! 1 week from now at our event!" Sakura typed and laughed.


"awwww, ur no fun....maybe I've seen u a few times tho? how do u look like? an ogre or a princess? maybe like a kappa from ur home country hehehe. or are u secretly a beautiful Kitsune?! Nope......just a cave troll. hehehehe"


"You wish KwangBae. You tease me a lot because you probably secretly like me *blushes* ohh KwangBae, my prince! Save me! Please KwangBae, you are my only hope....ilu <3!


"whaaaattttt....love me? thanks but nope, my only true love is named food and we're in a relationship already. anyway, so u are agreeing to the competition then? if so, yaaaaaay!


":(......you really would choose food over me? but yes to the competition.


"Lololol, of course food >>>> u. what a tsundere queen........anyway, 5 games with different genres on any system, u pick 2 and I'll pick 2....last is a random draw....type what u'd like and we'll draw the 5th game once we meet to keep it fair hehe"


"You're mean, I would choose you over the food you know :) :) ;). Since this is solo battles, I'll choose Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon offline 1v1". Racing and Shooter.


"that's cool, but still food = life > Cherry. my choices are rocket league and super smash bros ultimate".


"That hurt you know. :(....that only pumps me up to beat you in Smash!"


"but it's true, food > you."


"Jeez KwangBae....OKAY."


"hehehe Tsun Tsun queen. how do u look like btw?"


"Short shoulder-length blonde hair in a bob cut, 5’4”, big eyes supposedly, hoodies for life".


"we're the same height! 5/10 friendship level up, perfect size for hugs, cuddles...and snuggles! can I cling to u when we're real-life friends?"


"Oh god, don't tell me you are gonna search for me at the University? And what are you a Koala? I'm not a tree."


"no I won't...or will I? hehehehehe. also yeah, some people say that I am like a Koala, that means you can be my tree! people's warmth gives me energy, like a battery pack!"


"You're weird."


"No, I'm KwangBae."

 

"Exactly." Sakura smirked '....yet never change ya weirdo.'


"any who, just to make it more official, I'll make a trophy for the winner! kind of a waste since I'm gonna be the one keeping it in the end tho lol."


"Wait and see, I'm coming for your trophy and I'll win it fair and square!"


"sure u will......so where do u want the event to be at?"


"Ehhhh, I guess we can do it at my dorm in Dorm A. My roommate wouldn't mind." Sakura suggested. 'I bet Yena would wanna join in to play with us too knowing how she is.'


"really? I don't think dark caves are good places to have gaming events hehehe."


"...........I'm so gonna get you KwangBae, don't be surprised If I put you in a headlock or a bear hug when we first meet!" Sakura answered and laughed for a bit.


"no worries, I said I love hugs didn't I hehehe? maybe I can be at ur dorm everyday eating ur food, do u cook? I'll cling to u and watch u cook and then eat it right off the pan. dream life yaaaaaaay.


"No, I have enough friends lol.....I can cook though...but not with u clinging on me." she lied at the first line....she was quite a shy person honestly, especially being in a foreign country where her language skills are just okay-ish after being in South Korea for half a year. She'd often admired more social people and she mostly only went out whenever she wanted to try new food she seen on TV. The only 3 people in the University who she really talked to were her roommate Choi Yena, an old friend and fellow transferees Takahashi Juri and her younger cousin, Yabuki Nako who also attends the University. She also has a photographer friend that she never manages to say her name to Sakura yet for some reason.


"yaaaaaaaah I'm ur friend too >:(! also, u said u live in dorm A? wait...........r u that beautiful transferee from Japan that people have been talking about these few months? ya know how people get....rumor rumor rumor.....gossip gossip gossip. that I'm in dorm C...."


"Ehhhhh.....what makes you think that? I'm just your average student, nothing special at anything....except beating a girl name KwangBae in games! Anyway, Good night!" she tensed up knowingly since she heard about the rumors about her being one of several "visuals" as they were called in Dorm A. '....things really spread fast at universities. Should I be watching over my shoulders now?'


"u wish lol. also wow, that's the most we've ever typed! I wish u gave ur number so we can talk instead of typing all the time! ur such a secretive person u know?! can u plz just give me ur phone number?!"


'............she never lets up. I admire her spirit. she really does worry about me it seems. Might as well give it to her I guess.' she thought as she'll finally get to meet her friend and rival in just a week.


"Okaaaaaaaaaay KwangBae, I'll admit I've been being a total about our communication situation and I feel super super bad about it so here. It's XXXXXXXX......but can we only just text for now? I'd like to see and meet you myself in person."


"yaaaaaaaay! and no phone or video calls? ur no fun! :(. still, that's our first step into a real friendship and u didn't cut me off this time! 6/10 friendship level!"


"Wow, I gained 3 Friendship levels in like 10 minutes. Pro."


"5/10 friendship level, 0/10 no voice or video chat level."


"Jeez okay, you have no jam."


"4/10 friendship level, 0/10 no jam, 10/10 jelly."


"Okay stop!! Leave my imaginary levels alone!"


"hehehehe, fun while it lasted. well, ja mata ne Cherry? sweet dreams okay?"


"Yeah yeah, night night, keep MY trophy bright!!" She typed and hurried to the game's exit menu.


"oh hell n-" *click* Sakura closed the chat message and stared at the screen with a mischievous smile.


'gotcha KwangBae hehehe' "GG baaaabe."


Sakura turned off the game and computer and then tossed herself into her bed. 'hehehehe, I wonder what's she thinking of now. I bet she's planning how to get revenge on me hahaha. This upcoming competition is when we'll finally meet each other. Are you still gonna be the same you? I really hope so....'


Maybe this competition will lead to a more fun future she thought as she finally laid her eyes to rest....

 

*ding*


--------------------------------------------


"YAAAAAAAAH....did she really just cut me off when I JUST talked about that!?" A beautiful raven-haired woman stared at her computer monitor in disbelief. Usually sporting a face of boredom most of the time, she was surprised to see that her friend exited the game which closed her off in chat. That woman was Kang Hyewon, 2nd Year student at O.T.R. University and devour of all things food. Hyewon was surprised at her friend's last action.....'sneaky aren't you' she laughed. "Got the last laugh huh? Just you wait until I find you Cherry, let's play this game of cat and mouse shall we?"

Hyewon then closed her eyes and rested her head on her desk growing sleepier. 'Why I am still curious to see how she looks like? Those rumors keep spreading around lately and I never been to Dorm A much. I wonder if Yena knows anything about this since she lives over there. Thinking about it, I've never been to her dorm before since she always comes to mine.......nowadays, she's always hanging with those Yuri and Juri girls in Dorm B anyway.' She let out a soft and defeated sigh.


She took her head off of her desk, leaned back on her computer chair and she looked at her clock which brightly shown 2:08 am. "....I'll think about this tomorrow, it's getting too late now" as she turned off her computer, got off her chair and laid in bed. She quickly got on her phone and wrote a quick message for Cherry and finally proceeded to rest her eyes.....

"hello u tsun tsun loser, this is KwangBae. bold move u pulled there so I give u a 7/10 in boldness. anyway, I'm gonna be busy designing the trophy and training so don't expect me to be online for the whole week. I'll get to u soon enough so watch ur back IRL miss short blonde hair, hoodie girl!! I might find u sooner and surprise u maybe! good night and take care loser."

 

--------------------------------------------

 

The first chapter is done! Made it through? Thank you! I wrote this chapter as if it was through a game chat so you'll only hear Sakura's thoughts. I honestly rewrote parts here and there like 5-7 times. As a first time writer, writing stories is pretty hard so props to writers everywhere. You have to brainstorm everything!