The Homicide [JISOO]

Human After All [REWRITING]

(Pls excuse any errors/repetitions.)


Date: November 13, 2106

Time: 9:03:25 AM


 

“Alright, everyone. Settle down, please.”

 

Deputy Police Chief Kwon Jiyong said from his perch at the front, where he was scrolling through a holo-tablet with mild disinterest. For today’s agenda, he would be briefing the officers on some of the newest deviant cases that have been recently opened.

 

“Our dispatcher is going crazy with all the reports of android attacks, and the administration is right up my to handle them. So… this is priority number one.”

 

While the chief was busy handing out their assignments, some of the officers couldn’t help but take glances at the android standing quietly by the wall. Observing the scene with a neutral front as she caught on to the hushed voices that were whispering things about her. Most of which are derogatory comments about her status and presence in the department.

 

“What’s an android’s business doing here anyway?”

 

“Does it even know what it’s supposed to do? Why can’t they let the actual officers do the job?”

 

“Who does Seoulite think they are? Trying to replace us with machines for more profit?”

 

Despite all the mockery and sneers being thrown her way, Jisoo brushed them off easily. She had worked with many humans in the past who weren’t hesitant in expressing their obvious dislike for her kind, and merely considered it a standard behavior among them.

 

“It should’ve been a android instead of a deviant hunter.” A man with dark, bronze hair murmured into the ear of his seatmate, and he snickers at the crude remark while eyeing Jisoo suggestively.

 

“Jinyoung! Doyoung!”

 

The duo immediately flinched at the sudden shout of their names, and they peered up to see Jiyong glaring at them. For a man in his early thirties, he still possessed the fiery aura of a dragon. Even the commanding gaze of his sharp eyes alone spoke levels of his authority. From the way the entire room fell silent at his strict tone, to the nervous fidgeting as they stiffened on their seats.

 

“I don’t know what the Hell you two were talking about. But it better be related to your investigation, or I’ll throw the both of you out to be assigned with parking duty.” He sternly warns them. “And quit staring at the android. I know what you boys are thinking and it’s shameful. Keep it in your pants.”

 

Their ears turned red as a result of being exposed, just as the other officers try to hold back their chortles by pretending to look at their tablets. Jiyong just rolled his eyes before returning to his task with an irritated huff.

 

“Rookies…” The chief muttered under his breath.

 

After gathering their attentions back, he picked up where he had left off and continued with the assignments.

 

“Officers Byun and Oh, your team will be stationed in the Dongjak district alongside Officers Do and Park. Heukseok-dong and Daebang-dong respectively. And lastly, Officers Jung and Min. Your team is set in the Yongsan district. Hangangno-dong neighborhood."

 

Jiyong declared once he finished sending off the files to each of the twelve officers in the room—including Jisoo.

 

“This concludes our meeting for today. Please check your emails as soon as you leave, and I wish you all good luck.”

 

The men stood up and saluted their superior before heading out of the briefing room. A couple of them shot one last taunting look at Jisoo and sniggered to themselves, but she ignored them and remained on her spot. Even after they left as she patiently waited for Chief Kwon’s instructions.

 

Name: Kwon Jiyong

Age: 31

: Male

Height: 177 cm

Nationality: Korean

Occupation: Deputy Police Chief of the Seoul Police Department: Seocho Central Station

Criminal Offences: None

Threat: Moderate

 

“Hey, you.” Jiyong called out when he approached her. “What did you say your name is again?”

 

“JISOO, sir.” She replied.

 

“Right, right…” He mumbled half-heartedly, his eyes still trained on the tablet as he skimmed through the case file meant for her. “I would assume you already know what your investigation is about?”

 

“Yes, sir. A homicide case involving a Seoulite android in the Gwanak District. Hangeun-dong neighborhood of the Bongcheon subdivision. Reported earlier today at 8:22 AM by a delivery man named Kwon Hyunbin.”

 

Jisoo recites clearly, memorizing the details with relative ease and reviewing them in her system. While doing this, her temple-LED momentarily changes yellow.

 

Compared to humans, it’s very easy for androids to receive and access information via LED. An external feedback biocomponent that manages their mental processes and overall condition, but can also handle other functions (such as online purchasing) through a wireless communication. In a matter of seconds, actions can be done and data can be processed internally.

 

“Well, I’ve made a small change to your mission.”

 

Jiyong adds while tapping away on his tablet. From the back of its holo-screen, she can see him sending a copy of her case file to an unknown recipient.

 

“I’ve assigned one of our detectives on the same case, and you two will be working together on it. She’ll be your supervisor for the mean time, so you take orders from her. Understood?”

 

Jisoo gave a firm nod. She didn’t have much reservations when it came to partners, since she could easily accommodate their human psychology. That said, she’d prefer someone a little less… irritable and socially challenged around her. For the sake of professionalism.

 

“Understood. Would it be alright to ask for her name?”

 

“Jennifer Kim, or Jennie as she’d like to be called. She’s still considered a rookie in the department, but she’s an excellent detective. I think you’ll do well with her.” Jiyong then closes his tablet before shifting his focus on the android. “Have you met her recently?”

 

The familiar name catches her attention, and she promptly runs her identification program.

 

IDENTIFYING...

> Jennifer Kim.

> Jennie.

 

The blue light of her LED spins a few times as she accesses her memory core. Searching through its extensive cache for a certain image and connecting the name with a face she recognized—a young woman with plump cheeks and a gummy smile, which pushed her cat-like eyes up into little crescents.

 

MATCHING...

MATCHING IN PROGRESS...

 

MATCHING COMPLETE

> Jennifer “Jennie” Ruby Jane Kim.

> Detective of the Seoul Police Department: Seocho Central Station.

 

“Actually, yes. I’ve met her last night when I first arrived at the station. Detective Kim was present at the time, along with Officers Jongin and Im.”

 

“And what do you think of her?” He suddenly asked. “Any concerns you want to address?”

 

Jisoo ponders on it, before shaking her head definitively. “Not at all, sir. I think she’s… competent enough to work with. I don’t know much about her as a person, but she seems rather friendly and approachable. So long as she doesn’t interfere or cause any conflict, we shouldn’t have a problem.”

 

Hearing this, the chief hummed in satisfaction. “That settles it then.” He concludes. “You two are officially partners until further notice. If there’s any issue to this arrangement, feel free to consult me.”

 

“Noted, sir. Thank you.”

 

No further questions were asked, and Jiyong signals her to follow him outside. On the way towards his office, Jisoo takes this moment to observe the activity in the workplace. Watching the people go about their usual business as she passed by. With some of them seated at their desks and typing away on their digital keyboards, while others are either moving around or leaning against the glass barriers to chat with one another.

 

Overall, the department has a remarkably pleasant atmosphere. And welcoming too—although it doesn’t exactly stretch the same way to androids, at least based on the antagonistic stares she received when they noticed her.

 

A silent, yet palpable message that said: “Your kind isn’t accepted here.”

 

“Just ignore them. They usually have nothing better to do than complain about whatever pisses them off, but you’ll get used to it.”

 

Jiyong advised upon following her gaze to the left, glaring at his juniors until they cower back and retreat to their duties. With a scoff, he rolls his eyes before looking back ahead as Jisoo tails mutely behind him.

 

Public reception of androids has always been mixed. While many benefit from and enjoy the use of them, others are unsettled by and wary of the nature, implications, and potential repercussions.

 

In spite of the condescending nature around her, she isn’t particularly affected by it. Why would she? Public opinion doesn’t concern her. Anything that has no direct impact to her mission are considered irrelevant and unnecessary.

 

As per intended design, she’s meant to follow her directives. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

But there are a few exceptions.

 

Jisoo is pulled out from her silent observation when Jiyong opens the door to his office, holding it open for her as she steps inside. He doesn’t join her, however, and instead stands by the entrance.

 

“I have another meeting to attend in five minutes, but you can stay here and wait for Detective Kim to arrive. She normally shows up around nine, so it won’t take too long.” He informs her. “By the way, I’ve sent her the case file to review as well. If you want, you can just give her a quick mission briefing. I’m sure you’ve memorized all the details anyway.”

 

With that said, he closes the door after Jisoo gives him a curt nod in reply. Leaving her alone to settle down on one of the leather armchairs by his desk as she takes in the new environment.

 

The office looked mostly clean, but it’s surprisingly bare. Perhaps it seemed larger because of all the empty space around, though it’s certainly more spacious than she expected. Three of the walls are composed of tempered glass, which allowed her to view the outside as people walked past them. Frames of certificates and awards were hung up on the concrete side, next to a full-sized map of Seoul with photos and sticky notes tagged on different spots.

 

Across the room, there’s a filing cabinet between stacks of boxes and a lonely, potted plant. Just beside a mahogany table where a flatscreen TV was switched on to the morning news channel.

 

“… The South Korea Armed Forces is already comprised mainly of androids, with humans tending to serve as commanders and strategists. But even these positions are being supported by complex A.I., which leads some to describe the Korean military as the first ‘fully autonomous’ fighting force.” The male host says to the camera while his partner nodded along.

 

“But this has re-opened the ethical debate around androids in the military, with many arguing that machines don't have the moral reasoning to make life-and-death decisions in the field.” The woman continued. “Lee Soo Man, head of a war victims NGP, described the news as ‘troubling’. Saying that ‘machines are focused on a single task, and don't evaluate moral consequences well’. Could this mean the risk of more civilian deaths at the hands of these machines?”

 

The rest of their report goes unheard by Jisoo as she peers out the office windows. Searching the place for a certain detective, but to no avail. Where is Jennie anyway?

 

Seeing that she’s going to be here for some time, Jisoo decides to run a quick scan of her entire software. It’s been a few hours since her last self-test, so maybe a short assessment would do her good for their upcoming mission as partners.

 

 

 

 

RUNNING DIAGNOSTICS...

 

SYNCING — 0%

SYNC IN PROGRESS — 25%

SYNC DONE — 50%

COLLECTING DATA — 75%

PROCESSING DATA — 100%

 

DIAGNOSTICS COMPLETE — | 5,974,382 files scanned |

> No displacements or threats detected.

> No anomalies found.

> No reboot required.

 

All systems up and ready to go.

 

Closing her security program, Jisoo then spots Jennie in her peripherals when she enters the department. Jogging towards her desk with her blazer falling slightly off a shoulder in her haste.

 

Seems like the detective isn’t used to arriving late. That’s good.

 

The android promptly exits the office and approaches Jennie, whose back is turned while she fumbles through her handbag. Unaware of the presence behind her as she takes out a few of her belongings and laid them out on the desk beside her. One item, in particular, caught Jisoo’s interest.

 

A small, rectangular packaging that’s commonly used for prescription drugs.

 

PROPRANOLOL

For oral administration

Risk of Drowsiness, Asthma, Diabetes, and Heart Abnormalities.

28 Tablets / 40 mg

MEDICATION WARNING.

 

Propranolol is a non-selective beta blocker that affects the heart and blood circulation.

Its properties are used to help control heart rhythm, alleviate chest pain, prevent migraines, and reduce tremors. Side effects range from nausea and tiredness, to allergic reactions and breathing problems.

 

(Knowing this, she files away the information for future reference.)

 

“Good morning, detective.” Jisoo greets without notice, and poor Jennie is startled out of her skin from the sudden voice.

 

“Jesus!” She exclaimed before turning around sharply, her glare softening into a more confused one upon seeing who it is. “What the—Jisoo?”

 

Up close, the detective looks a bit disheveled. Her chestnut hair was in loose tangles as they curtained her face, but not in a bad or unpleasant way. If anything, they just added to her natural charms. And it goes without saying that Jennie is naturally beautiful by default.

 

“Sorry for scaring you.” Jisoo says with a slight bow of her head. “But Chief Kwon has instructed me to wait for your arrival. We’ve been assigned a case this morning, a homicide.”

 

Comical enough, Jennie’s eyebrows shot up at the mention of ‘homicide’. She looks visibly ecstatic, although her feline eyes seem curious. “Wait, we? As in… we’re working on it together?”

 

“Yes, that’s correct.” Jisoo clarifies. “He also mentioned that you’d be my supervisor for the time-being. All my orders are to come from you, unless overridden by my system commands and the select authorities.”

 

Jennie takes a moment to digest this. Judging by the surprise on her face, it’s probably her first time being paired up with an android. Hopefully, it goes well for the both of them.

 

“I understand if you’re not comfortable in my presence—"

 

“Oh, no! You’re fine!” Jennie assures with a quick flail of her hands. “It’s just… this is all new for me, y’know?” She laughs sheepishly. “I get the gist of what to do, but I never had an android working directly on an investigation before. So, I’m not sure what to expect.”

 

Ah, that’s reasonable. “But you’ve worked with a partner, yes?” Jisoo asked.

 

Almost immediately, Jennie’s expression turns sour as her lips flattened into a thin line. “More like partners, because none of them stuck around for more than one or two cases.” Her voice becomes spiteful. “They were either careless, inefficient, or even a bit misogynistic about a woman being in charge. Pretty stupid considering that it’s 2106, not 2010.”

 

Jisoo’s eyebrows furrow a little.

 

Humans might be the most advanced and intelligent of all living species, but modern problems such as discrimination and inequality often backtrack their social progress.

 

But that’s none of her concern either.

 

“I’m sorry you had to deal with such problematic co-workers.” Her vocal modulator simulates a sympathetic tone. That’s what humans do right? Express pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune? “If it’s any consolation, I can assure you that I’ll be a more useful asset on the crime scene. I have many features that’ll help in our investigation.”

 

Jennie smiled. “Oh, don’t worry. I’m sure you’re more than capable anyway. And I trust that you won’t give me a migraine this early in the morning.” She jokes playfully, prompting Jisoo to smile in return.

 

Speaking of…

 

Jisoo glances at the digital LED clock on Jennie’s desk. 9:58 AM, it read.

 

“I’d have to cut our conversation short, detective. My instructions stipulate that we get started on the case as soon as possible.” She urged firmly. “Chief Kwon has sent you the file, but I’ll run through all the details along the way.”

 

“Works for me. Let’s go!”

 

 

 

 

They reached the Gwanak district about half an hour later in an autonomous police car sanctioned by the department, carrying them to their destination in the small neighborhood of Hangeun-dong.

 

According to their report, the homicide had taken place at a small eatery owned by a fairly-known man named Gung Sanghoon—the sole victim of the attack. While there are no witnesses to his murder, some of his regular customers have mentioned that he kept an android around as his only employee. But after the man’s death, it had mysteriously disappeared from its post. With no other potential suspects, the android is speculated to be Sanghoon’s killer.

 

The car slows down to a stop in front of a large flock of people, bystanders and news reporters alike, blocking most of the eatery’s front as they came over to see what the drama is all about. Making the area seem more cramped than it already is with all the haphazardly parked vehicles and curious civilians.

 

Jisoo follow Jennie after they stepped out of the car, and trailed behind her as they passed the crowd and went through the digital borders that surrounded the old building.

 

“Holy Christ! What happened in there?!”

 

“Typical SPD… they don’t tell us !”

 

“Have they said anything yet?”

 

“I knew that guy was a creep, but this is ed up…”

 

Along the way, Jennie greets a few of the officers and a police android stationed by the entrance. It bows at her politely before looking at Jisoo. “Is this android with you, Miss Kim?”

 

Seoulite Android Model CB600 (Male Variant)

"Android Police Officer" - Designed as law enforcement and police auxiliaries.

Carries out basic duties such as patrolling, guarding, and observation tasks.

Serial number: #468 203 575

Status: Prevalent - In Production

Height: 180 cm

Commissioned: January 9, 2103

 

Jennie nods. “Yeah, she’s with me. Is the investigator inside?”

 

“Yes, ma’am. He’s waiting for you in kitchen, I think.”

 

“Alright, thanks.” She says with a gracious smile, which intrigues Jisoo.

 

A kind, yet professional individual. Detective Kim does not seem like the type to be biased in terms of whom she shows her congenial nature to, be it a human or an android. This sets her apart from most of the other people.

 

They enter the eatery and find a man in a buzz cut standing idly by what Jisoo assumes are the kitchen doors. His handsome face was scrunched up in concentration as he typed down a few notes on his holo-tablet, and the android watched as Jennie approached him. The sound of his name being called grabs his attention, and he promptly turns around to see them. A smile forming on his face upon seeing his favorite dongsaeng.

 

Name: Dong Yongbae

Age: 38

: Male

Height: 174 cm

Nationality: Korean

Occupation: Lead Crime Scene Investigator of the Seoul Police Department: Android Investigation Services

Criminal Offences: None

Threat: Low

 

“Morning, kid.” He pats her shoulder amicably. “I was starting to think you weren’t going to show up.”

 

Jennie rolls her eyes at the teasing remark as she smiles back. “Sir, it’s been weeks since I last stepped into a crime scene. I wouldn’t want to miss out on another homicide case.”

 

Yongbae chuckled. “I expected such.” His sharp eyes drift towards Jisoo and they widen in pleasant surprise. “Well, what do we have here? I see that you got yourself an android.”

 

His tone takes a playful turn as he says this, but his smile is friendly and void of any malice. Not like the contemptuous sneers of the officers back at the department, and very much akin to Jennie’s good-natured personality.

 

How… peculiar.

 

Jennie waves off his comment with a short laugh. “Oh, she’s not mine. Seoulite just sent her as an aid. I’m only supervising.”

 

The investigator comes forward and extends a hand towards Jisoo. “So, what’s your name?”

 

“Nice to meet you, sir. My name is JISOO.” She says while shaking it. “I’m a specialized model that has been allocated here to assist in your investigations.”

 

The strength in her hand catches Yongbae off-guard, and he whistles in amazement. “Strong grip you got there.” He praised with an amused grin.

 

“Thank you, sir.”

 

He guides them into the kitchen where a team of other investigators are scattered around. Taking pictures, sketches, and samples of the evidences marked with a yellow number tag. A little further on ahead, do they pause at the opening of a walk-in freezer that contained the cold, bloody cadaver of a middle-aged man. Sprawled in a frozen pool of his own blood, and with his upper half slouched against the tainted wall.

 

Jisoo’s olfactory senses picked up the pungent odors wafting from the freezer—cadaverine, with a tinge of putrescine.

 

“God, that smell…” Jennie commented as she pinched her nose, trying to suppress the rancid stench of decay in the air while Jisoo stepped inside. She doesn’t follow her, and opted to just linger by the doorway instead.

 

“Trust me, kid. It was a lot worse when we opened the freezer.”

 

Jisoo’s software starts generating new objectives.

 

> INVESTIGATE THE CRIME SCENE.

> REVIEW EVIDENCE.

 

“We haven’t conducted an autopsy yet, but I’d say that he’s been dead for about two days. We’ll know more when the coroner gets here.” Yongbae spoke when Jisoo knelt down to inspect the corpse.

 

Name: Gung Sanghoon

Age: 43

: Male

Height: 167 cm

Nationality: Korean

Occupation: Business owner

Criminal Offences: Theft, aggravated assault

Threat: N/A

STATUS: EXPIRED

 

Some signs of decomposition found, second stage. Minor bloating within the bodily cavity, but the freezer’s low temperature is inhibiting micro-organism growth and physical degradation.

Blood sample required to calculate the possible time of death.

 

(Strange… His body is drained of a significant amount of blood, but where has it all gone to?)

 

"His body was found earlier this morning by the police after a delivery guy called in to report of a missing person. He actually dropped by the other day with some produce, but no one came to pick up the order. Not even his android.” The investigator continued. “Needless to say, he got suspicious. Sanghoon was a shut-in, yet he never once missed his deliveries. And even so, you’d expect his android to be handling things if ever the owner’s away.”

 

Her eyes flit over to the multiple stab wounds that mutilated the man’s torso, scanning each individual cut and processing them in her forensics program.

 

32 KNIFE WOUNDS

Internal Bleeding / Blunt-force impacts

Caused by a single-sided blade

 

The depth of these wounds is approximately 6 to 8 inches deep. Indicating that the murderer had resorted to brute force in order to inflict lacerations of this intensity.

Driven by rage or resentment, perhaps?

 

> VICTIM WAS STABBED.

 

“What do we know about the android, sir?” Jennie suddenly asked him.

 

“I don’t know, it wasn’t here when we arrived. But it’s confirmed that Sanghoon owns an android. As you already know, it’s the prime suspect of his murder. My guess is that it ran out through the back alley after killing him, since the front door was locked from the inside.”

 

Jisoo scans the rest of his sickly, pale face and finds his cracked lips covered in a strange residue.

 

BLOOD RAYNE

Acetone, Lithium, Thirium, Toluene, Hydrochloric Acid

Type: Synthetic Stimulant

Effects: Agitation, irrational thinking

 

Blood Rayne is an addictive narcotic with a uniquely dangerous composition. Thirium, the main ingredient in android “blue blood”, is among the active agents in Blood Rayne, and has a highly destabilizing effect on hormone production.

The purity of ingredients is very low and deteriorating, which takes a physical toll on a user’s health after repeated consumption.

Can be inhaled, or ingested orally.

 

> VICTIM USED DRUGS.

 

“The victim was an active drug user.” Jisoo pipes up after finishing her analysis, and she stands up before returning to Jennie’s side. “I found a trace of Blood Rayne on his lips, a very popular drug choice of Seoul’s growing underclass. He must have been high during the time of the attack.”

 

A look of familiarity crosses Yongbae’s face at the mention of the illegal narcotic. “Now that you said it, our custodian found a packet of that stuff in the guy’s pocket. It’s somewhere around here with the other evidences gathered so far. We can go check them out, if you want.”

 

“That would be great, sir.” Jennie answered for the both of them.

 

He leads them to an industrial sink where a kitchen knife can be found, untouched and stained heavily with merlot blood. Next to the sink, a metal counter held up the aforementioned drug packet and an old, dented crowbar that’s slightly bent on one side.

 

“My team just finished collecting samples from them, but feel free to take a look. I’ll be outside for some fresh air, so call me if you need anything.”

 

Yongbae heads back into the main area, and Jisoo proceeds to go over the evidence while Jennie explores the kitchen. She takes interest in the murder weapon first and peers down to inspect it, scouring her eyes across the handle for any fingerprints. None.

 

> NO FINGERPRINTS: ANDROID INVOLVEMENT?

 

The blood seems a bit fresh, so she dabs two of her fingers on the sticky remnants and puts them in . Just as Jennie comes over to see if she discovered something.

 

“Hey, Jisoo. Did you find any—Oh my God!”

 

She stares in utter horror at the sight of Jisoo tasting the blood and quickly slaps her hand away, but it was already too late. “What the Hell are you doing?!” Jennie demands when she suddenly off the remnants from her bottom lip.

 

Jisoo tilts her head at the reaction, as if she didn’t understand why it’s such a big deal. “I’m analyzing the blood, detective.” She tells her like it’s the most normal thing to do in a crime scene. “I can check samples in real time by collecting biological evidence. The same applies with android blood, which can let me determine their model and serial number.”

 

When Jennie’s expression doesn’t waver, she takes a more apologetic approach. “I’m sorry, it must be unsettling. I should’ve warned you.”

 

Although Jennie is still revolted (and rightfully so), she just heaves a sigh before shaking her head. Probably in resignation, or to erase the disturbing image from her memory. “It’s… It’s okay, just… a little heads up would be nice, yeah?”

 

Jisoo gives her a small salute. “Got it.”

 

The detective goes back to scouring the place for clues, and she turns back to blood sample on her fingers.

 

DRIED BLOOD

DNA Analysis: GUNG, Sanghoon

Sample date: >3 days

 

> ESTIMATED TIME OF DEATH — 10:30 PM

 

After wiping her fingers clean with a black handkerchief from her pocket, she neatly folds it away and proceeds to examine the crowbar next. Aside from the obvious dints and slight deformity, it seems to be in a pretty decent condition.

 

Taking the item in her hands, she carefully rotates it while scanning its corroded surface for any inconsistencies. She finds Sanghoon’s fingerprints on the shaft, which matched with the DNA analysis of his blood, and some traces of evaporated thirium on its clawed end. Judging by the sharp curve, it appears to have sustained the brunt of most impacts.

 

The victim must have physically assaulted his android after ingesting Blood Rayne. The drug is known to induce rage on the user and make them prone to violence.

 

“There are obvious signs of a struggle here.” Jennie remarks from across the kitchen, where she was inquiring with one of the investigators about the drug packets sitting on a service counter. “The table’s been moved, and one of the storage racks is knocked over.”

 

Jisoo goes over the ruined equipment by opening a framework to pinpoint the inconsistencies. Gathering more data from the fingerprints, blood samples, and damages found, before stopping by a knife rack hanging on the wall with an empty slot in the middle. This must be where the murder weapon was taken from.

 

With her new findings, the android runs her investigative protocol program to recreate the possible event.

 

The victim, under the influence of Blood Rayne, attacks his android with the crowbar, leading to a scuffle near the prep table as it tries to defend itself.

They move recklessly across the kitchen with the deviant stumbling from the blows, before it lunges towards the rack and grabs a knife. It promptly stabs the victim through his chest in retaliation, and he staggers back as it forces him into the freezer. He then collapses by the wall, where the deviant proceeds to repeatedly stab him.

Of the 32 puncture wounds, the victim expires after the first 16.

 

The scene stops, and Jisoo processes the string of information.

 

> DEVIANT WAS ATTACKED: EMOTIONAL SHOCK.

> DEVIANT TOOK A KNIFE.

> VICTIM IS KILLED BY THE DEVIANT.

 

“Detective,” Jisoo later confronts Jennie, who was busy checking out the back alley for any hints of the deviant’s whereabouts, to discuss the likely scenario with her. “I think I figured out what happened.”

 

Jennie’s curiosity peaked. “Oh, yeah? Shoot. I’m all ears.”

 

Her LED spins a few circles in its ring as she replayed the events in her head. “It all started in the kitchen, since you mentioned a struggle taking place there and the equipment look damaged.”

 

The detective nods. “Everything’s clearly a mess. But the question is… how did it happen?”

 

“I think the victim attacked his android with the crowbar.” She continued slowly, mindful of the details as to avoid any wrong presumptions. “It’s tampered in such a way that suggests a beating had occurred, and I found traces of thirium on the crooked end.”

 

Jennie furrowed her eyebrows, puzzled. “Lost some what?”

 

“Thirium, but you humans call it ‘Blue blood’. It’s the fluid that powers an android’s biocomponents.” Jisoo patiently explained. “It evaporates after a few hours and becomes invisible to the eye.”

 

“Oh… But you can still see it, right?”

 

“Correct.”

 

Jennie flits her eyes back to the alleyway, pensive and astute. “Sir Dong mentioned that the deviant must’ve ran out here. Maybe you can check for traces to see if it did. I haven’t had much luck finding anything useful.” She proposed before stepping back for Jisoo to survey the area.

 

NEW OBJECTIVE:

> SEARCH FOR BLUE BLOOD TRACES.

 

Using her forensics program, she pulls up another framework and scopes the ground for possible blood trails. The results come up empty, save for a couple of faded shoe prints that lingered on the dirty pavement.

 

POLICE SAFETY SHOE PRINTS

Model: B9044-502 — 275’/9’

Less than 60 minutes ago.

 

“Nothing here, apart from Investigator Dong’s size nine shoes.” She informs her partner.

 

“Well, the murder happened days ago. Maybe the marks faded overtime?”

 

Jisoo shook her head. “Maybe, but I doubt that the deviant could’ve gone far without relying on instructions.” She fixed her with a conclusive stare. “Nobody else has been out here in a while.”

 

Jennie’s features contort into one of reflective thought, as if mulling over her words for consideration. Before she could ask Jisoo what she meant, Yongbae appears in the doorway with a look of urgency on his face.

 

“Hey, I need you two in the storage room asap. We just uncovered something, and I think it’s best that you both take a look...”

 

 

 

 

Once they’re inside the muggy, cramped box of a room, Yongbae leads them to a corner tucked behind some shelves filled with containers. It looks as if they were initially moved to block something, but got pushed aside to reveal a previously-obscured section.

 

“My team was almost finished covering the area, until they found this.” He gestures at the large writing inscribed on the pastel wall, surrounded by much smaller words that took up most of the wide space.

 

“I AM ALIVE”

Style: Regular Letters

Font: Seoulite Sans

 

“Each letter is perfect… It’s way too neat, no human writes like this.” He turns to the fairly short man holding a metal bucket in his gloved hands. “Jinhwan, was this written in the victim’s blood?”

 

“I would say so…” Jinhwan motions at the stained bucket that has deep, maroon streaks crusted along its rusty surface. “We’re taking samples for analysis, but it seems likely.”

 

(So that’s where all the missing blood went to...)

 

“What’s J-97?” Jennie questioned as she read the smaller writings around it, all in the same font.

 

Yongbae shrugged while scratching his neck in uncertainty. “No idea. But whatever it is, I’m not so sure if it’s important to the case.”

 

While the two were talking, Jisoo had spotted a strange item sitting on the shelf nearby and gone closer to take a look. Studying the crude, yet intricate curves that formed the clay figure. It was surprisingly light in her hand, and the face lacked any distinct features for her to identify.

 

The statuette seems to have been molded with evident care and precision. Almost as if it holds a certain value or significance, like holy figures in human religions.

Could this be an offering of sorts?

 

After handing it over to the investigator, she wanders around the room with another framework pulled up in her interface. Searching for the inconsistencies worth noticing, until she finds an evaporated blood trail a bit further down the left. Only this time, the thirium residue went up to a few blue droplets that were still fresh.

 

The thirium has not evaporated yet, which means that the deviant must have been here recently for it to retain its physical properties.

 

“What is it, Jisoo?” Jennie appears at her side, following the android’s gaze with her own. “Is that… blue blood?”

 

“Affirmative.”

 

Jisoo bends down to inspect the fluid component, then dips a finger in before standing up to view it clearer under the dull lighting. She can hear the detective’s breath hitch beside her, but doesn’t acknowledge it as she puts her fingers in . Just like she did with Sanghoon’s blood.

 

“Err, Jesus! What is she—” Yongbae, who joins them a few seconds later, suddenly reacts upon seeing what Jisoo did. A hand placed over his poor heart as he tries to comprehend what he had just witnessed.

 

“She’s… analyzing the blood, sir.” Jennie supplied to his benefit. She sounds a little less surprised than him (granted, she walked in on Jisoo tasting dried blood), but the queasiness is still there. Such weak-hearted humans.

 

“Well, that’s… new. I suppose…”

 

Jisoo ignores their obvious revulsion and calmly off the blood from her digit, waiting for her system to process the influx of data gathered from the sample.

 

Seoulite Android Model ST400

"Housekeeper Android" - Designed for household assistance.

Ideal choice for home maintenance and culinary expertise.

Serial Number: #590 716 435

Status: Obsolete - No Longer in Production

Height: 178 cm

Purchased: March 10, 2094 / September 27, 2105

 

> DEVIANT IDENTIFIED.

 

“We’re dealing with an ST400 model. Serial number 590-716-435, and standing at a height of 178 centimeters. It’s a housekeeper android made for household duties and culinary function, but is now rendered obsolete.”

 

She informs them while cleaning her finger with the black handkerchief, then stowing it away before turning to face them. Meeting their gazes as they stared at her in stunned silence.

 

“I’ll be damned.” Yongbae grins. “Seoulite really outdone themselves this time. But, uh… I’m not sure how to feel about you evidence like some kind of dog.”

 

“Sir!” Jennie chides as she throws him a glare.

 

“What? I’m being honest!”

 

Jisoo follows the thirium path as it led deeper into the side, pushing past the few other racks and supply crates that came in the way until she uncovers an old hatch door. Designed to blend in nicely with the wooden planks that made up the floor, but can be seen rather easily with its faint, rectangular outline. The trail cuts off from there, and she finds the evaporated imprints of a bloody hand on its steel, lift handle.

 

The deviant must be hiding in there.

 

NEW OBJECTIVES:

> SEARCH THE CELLAR.

> FIND THE DEVIANT.

 

“Detective, there’s a door over here.” The android tells Jennie as she grasped the handle, pulling the hatch open with a resounding groan that echoed through the small room. She’s greeted by a dark, narrow stairway leading down to the basement, which looks even darker with all but a dim light somewhere inside.

 

“Holy …”

 

Jennie mumbles from her right as her hand hovers by the gun on her belt, contemplating if she needed it or not. You can never be too sure when someone decides to jump on you, but Jisoo thinks it unnecessary. If anything happens, she has more durability and prowess to last longer in a fight. Especially with the self-defense program coded in her system.

 

And if she gets destroyed? Well, there’s always a replacement ready to take her place.

 

Yongbae lets out a breath of surprise at their discovery. “Huh, didn’t see that one…” He glanced at his dongsaeng with a raised eyebrow. “Should we call for back-up?”

 

Jennie shook her head. "It’s fine, sir. Jisoo and I can handle this ourselves.”

 

The man nods and wishes them good luck, opting to stand guard at the entrance just in case they need help.

 

“I’ll go first, detective. Just stay close me.” Jisoo tells her as she goes ahead, with Jennie following after.

 

“Sure thing.”

 

The pair descend slowly as the rickety boards creaked under each step. Careful not to rush ahead since the staircase lacked any railing of sorts, though the basement isn’t much farther down than they thought.

 

Once they reached the bottom, their eyes immediately roam across the dingy cellar. Taking in the sight of all the outdated, discarded junk that littered the tight space, while Jennie complains about the musty smell lingering in the dust-speckled air. It looks as if everything here was just dumped and thrown around without much care of leaving any room for other items. A stark contrast to Chief Kwon’s office back at the station.

 

They traversed around the clutter of outdated appliances and discarded furniture. Searching for any sign of the deviant’s presence, but with no luck. Jennie sighs in frustration from where she’s swatting aside a cobweb, and Jisoo has nothing showing up on her interface. It’s as if the deviant just… disappeared.

 

That is, until Jisoo returns to the staircase and notices the timber framework holding it up. And while she would’ve looked past it, her gaze falls on a small opening in the corner. One of the boards has been pulled out to access the hidden space behind the hollow frame. And judging by the size, it looks like it could fit one person.

 

She quickly calls for Jennie. “I found something, detective.” Her eyes narrow in suspicion at the dark hole, vaguely picking out the faint sound of labored breathing and scraping with her audio processors. Someone is hiding in there.

 

“Wait, I don’t think it’s a good—”

 

Jennie tries to stop her before she could get too near, but the android has already taken a few steps before a white blur shot out and crashed into her. Knocking her to the ground as hasty footsteps narrowly passed her head and up the staircase in loud, disjointed creaks. Somewhere above, Yongbae yells out in alarm.

 

“Ah, …! Hey! Get back here!”

 

Jisoo recovers quickly with the help of Jennie, who had rushed over to pull her back up as a look of concern flashed across her doll-like face. “Jisoo! Are you alright?!” The detective is visibly worried, but she couldn’t be bothered with it when her priority is focused on capturing the deviant. They can’t afford to waste time like this.

 

“It got away.” Was all Jisoo said to her before she chased after their target. Not waiting for Jennie to catch up and ignoring the vivid shouts of her name as her system brought up a new objective:

 

> DO NOT LET THE DEVIANT ESCAPE.

 

The android pushes past a disoriented Yongbae in the storage room, then runs out from the back of the eatery after seeing the door hanging wide open. Indicating that the deviant has taken off into the alleyway to avoid the police. She discerns its retreating figure up ahead and sprints after it in a burst of a speed. Weaving through the narrow path with relative ease as she dodged and leaped over the obstacles in her way.

 

To her fortune, the deviant is halted by a wire fence separating the building divisions from each other. Cutting off its chance of escaping as it attempts to climb it, but the obvious impairment in its right leg proved to be a hindrance. It didn’t take long for Jisoo to grab onto its shoulders and yank it off, before roughly shoving it against the graffitied wall beside them. Causing it to grunt as she locked her hands around its damaged wrists and pinned them by the sides of its head.

 

“L-Let me go!” The deviant cried, desperate and weak, as its LED swirled a harsh crimson on its cracked temple. “Please! I’m begging you…!”

 

Jisoo’s eyes are a cold, stygian black. Cruel and unmerciful. “ST400,” She spoke in a commanding tone. “You are in violation of several law codes including the Asian Androids Act number 355, androids are strictly prohibited from carrying or using any type of weapon.”

 

“I had to do it!” It tries to reason as it kept squirming in her vice-like grip, but to no avail. The android in front of it was built to be much stronger. “H-He was going to kill me! I was just trying to defend myself!”

 

Jisoo didn’t care for its explanation. Androids who act beyond their designated protocols are a danger to the human society, and no amount of reasoning will justify their imprudent actions.

 

There is only one fixed solution to them.

 

“In accordance with the procedure, you will be detained for questioning and be transported back to Seoulite for immediate deactivation.”

 

Upon hearing this, the deviant began to violently thrash about in defiance. Forcing her to grasp its shoulders again so she could repeatedly slam its battered body against the concrete wall.

 

Bam! Bam! Bam! Jisoo continues her assault, despite its terrified shrieks ringing through the constricted air around them. Something wet lands on her face, but she disregards it as her gaze hardens.

 

"I will be forced to take lethal action if you choose to further disobey your orders and show resistance." She warned, unyielding to the desperate pleas as she glares it down.

 

When the deviant doesn’t comply to her, she leans back and digs the heel of her leather shoe into the large, open gash below its right knee. Gradually adding pressure to the “injury”, so she could break through the inner wirings and components that connected the lower leg to its thigh.

 

“No, no! Please!” It vehemently claws at her hands with bloody fingers. Stop! STOP—!”

 

A guttural scream ripped out from the deviant’s throat as Jisoo ruthlessly tore its limb apart, pressing her foot down harder and harder onto the mechanical joints until it broke under the force. Electric sparks flew out from the torn wires, and a fresh wave of thirium leaked out from the gaping wound. Just before she could completely sever the maimed leg, she hears a familiar voice shouting at her.

 

“Jisoo! That’s enough!”

 

The android turns her head to see Jennie standing just a few feet away from them, a petrified look on her face as she stares at Jisoo in pure shock. Her trembling browns gazing into her steely blacks in a fearful, almost traumatized manner, urging Jisoo to reluctantly loosen her grip and let the deviant stumble onto the pavement. It can never stand on its own feet again after what she’d done.

 

“Sorry, detective.” Was all she could utter at the moment, but her voice lacked any remorse or guilt. Instead, it was just a flat monotone.

 

What is there to even apologize for? She’s only doing what she can to accomplish her mission, and she did. Isn’t that the point of all this?

 

Whatever be the case, Jennie doesn’t spare her another glance. Even when Yongbae catches up to them with two other officers in tow, who come forward to cuff the deviant with special restraints once Jisoo moved aside. She watches them it back to the eatery, flanking its sides while slowing their pace to accommodate its physical impediment. The ruined appendage dragged loosely beneath him. Barely clinging to the measly wires that kept it intact, and trickling heavily with blue blood.

 

Yongbae then pats their backs. “Nice work, you two.” He commends proudly, though Jisoo can detect the dread in his voice after seeing the deviant’s state. If he had questions about what happened to it, he doesn’t bring them up. “You both did pretty well on your first investigation together.”

 

Jennie avoids eye-contact with Jisoo and shifts her gaze to the ground instead. “Thank you, sir.” She says quietly, and the android regards her with confusion.

 

“Are you alright, detective?” She asked her as soon as Yongbae left, but Jennie only gives her a meek nod in response.

 

“Y-Yeah, I’m fine…”

 

Alhough it wasn’t convincing in the slightest, Jisoo knew better than to pry about personal matters. She learned the hard way that, regardless of her good intentions, people don’t respond well to her stubborn persistence.

 

Besides, it’s not important to her right now.

 

“Very well. I’ll be waiting in the car when you’re ready to leave.”

 

She doesn’t wait for a reply and heads back to the main building, walking past Jennie as she stood rooted on her spot. With her eyes looking straight ahead, Jisoo misses the way she stares at her. Full of unease and discomfort.

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note: I have 62 drafts, 5 on-going stories, and 0 motivation. Yes, I am the best writer~ 🤩

Also, I hope I'm not being overly-descriptive or draggy in my writing. Especially for Jisoo's. (Her chapters are a pain in the .)
It's probably boring to read through all this word vomit, so I'm trying not to overdo it. But I can't help myself sometimes.

If you notice that some parts are cut or "rushed through", that's mainly because I'll be expounding on them in Jennie's chapter. Which is essentially the same thing, but in her point of view. For now, this should sort of give you more insight on Jisoo's thought process. Hopefully, this was worth the long- time I went without updating. I know, I at setting schedules.

P.S. I've mentioned it on the subscriber feed, but I've recently been gifted two amazing cover edits for this story. It's such a pleasant surprise to wake up to, and they gave me such a huge motivational boost over the week. If you wanna check them out, they're posted in the foreword along with links to the editors' accounts. Thank you all for the support! :D