Meeting [JENNIE]

Human After All [REWRITING]

(Excuse any errors/repetitions .3.)


Date: November 12, 2106

Time: 07:42:50 PM


 

With the outbreak of android crimes happening across Seoul, a specialized unit was formed to handle them under the strict orders from Chief of Police Yang Hyunsuk. Head of the Seocho Central Station, and a notoriously feared man in the precinct. Many have volunteered for a position, with each being given an assignment based on their overall skills and work proficiency.

 

Among those who have enlisted is a young woman by the name of Jennie Kim.

 

She’s considered a prodigy in the workforce. Having solved twenty-three cases in the short span of two years, and thus exceeding everyone’s expectations on the newbie of their team. “A monster rookie”, they would often call her. Most of them regarding the detective with awe and respect, while some were envious and bitter of her idolized status. Thankfully, they were only few and far in-between.

 

That being said, not all missions tend to go according to plan. Even for someone as skilled as Detective Kim.

 

Less than a month ago, she was assigned to a robbery case involving a deviant android—an agricultural worker who had escaped the Urban Farms and was looting a jewelry store for travel money. The hostile engagement resulted in a cat-and-mouse chase across the district, with Jennie being the one of the three minor casualties after she got shot in the arm by a stray bullet. (And boy, did it hurt like a .)

 

While her team managed to successfully capture the deviant, it had left Jennie with a permanent nerve deficit that causes slight, but uncontrollable tremors in her right hand. She can still wield a gun, no doubt, but her aim has greatly fluctuated since then.

 

Nevertheless, the detective’s pride never wavered. Physical condition and all.

 

Until now, that is.

 

“I still can’t believe that I’m stuck with paperwork duty for the whole week.” Grumbled Jennie as she leaves the diner with Jongin, who lets out a shameless burp while patting his stuffed tummy. Judging by the satisfied look on his handsome face, he clearly enjoyed their indulgent dinner.

 

“And I can’t believe that I just cheated on my diet by eating five burgers. Damn, they were good!”

 

The cop flashes her a cheeky grin, only to pout when he sees her annoyed glare.

 

“What?” He asked innocently.

 

Jennie just rolled her eyes. “Clearly, we’re not sharing the same thought.” She deadpans. Waiting for her dense friend to notice his mistake, then shaking her head once his face morphs into one of sudden realization. Aish, this idiot.

 

“Oooooh… Okay, I get it.” He says before chuckling sheepishly. “I mean, I kinda understand why Chief wants you to stay on the sidelines for now. You just came back from a medical leave, after all.”

 

“Yeah, but the physician already cleared me to go back on duty. I don’t see why I’m need to proofread a bunch of lousy reports by people with terrible handwriting!” Jennie complains while throwing her hands up in exasperation. “I’m serious, Jongin! It’s like they’re not written in hangul anymore!”

 

“Aw, c’mon. It can’t be that bad.”

 

Her feline eyes narrow at him, just as they reach the pedestrian lane where others are waiting to cross. “Easy for you to say. You’re on surveillance duty.” She grumbled. “That’s way better than the grunt work I’m stuck with!”

 

Jongin held up his hands in mock surrender as a wolfish grin formed on his face.

 

“Alright, alright. Hold your claws, kittycat.” He joked, snickering at the sight of an unamused Jennie scrunching her nose like one. “Listen, it’s not that fun either. Nothing really happens in them, except for those that show drunk people throwing up at the back of a pub. Or teens getting chased away for loitering in front of 7/11.”

 

Jennie huffed. “But you get to watch something happen. God, my eyes feel like rolling into the back of my head every time I have to read another bogus statement.”

 

The signal turns green, and they cross the street while heading towards the precinct. Unlike most people who have already clocked out and returned home, the two were required to stay in late and finish up on their respective tasks. Jennie, especially, since police reports have been flowing in non-stop for the past few weeks, which just added to the hassle of sorting through them.

 

It is, without a shred of a doubt, one of the most boring things she has ever experienced in all her twenty-three years of existing. And frankly, she’d rather listen to Professor Seo’s drab, old lectures back at the academy—instead of being trapped within the stuffy confines of their building.

 

Call her reckless, but Jennie would rather be outside where all the action is.

 

They arrive at the station about ten minutes later, greeting some of the guards and receptionists along the way before taking an elevator up to the main office.

 

At least I’m finally done with all those reports.

 

Jennie sighs in relief, thankful to have finished proofreading the atrocious stack of documents for today. She was looking forward to going home and playing with her dear little Kuma, until they were greeted by an unexpected visitor waiting behind the doors.

 

There, standing alone inside of the room, is a woman dressed in a semi-formal attire. Her obsidian-black eyes falling onto them when she takes notice of their arrival and regarding the pair with a vacant gaze. One that matched the expression of indifference on her otherwise gorgeous features, and the flat line of her heart-shaped lips.

 

If Jennie didn’t know any better, she’d mistake her for a pretty mannequin.

 

“Um…”

 

The detective sends Jongin a questioning look, and he simply shrugs before turning back to address the quiet stranger.

 

“Is there anything we can help you with, Miss?” He offers kindly, though Jennie could detect the subtle wariness underlying his words.

 

The woman just tilts her head. Not responding to, but rather observing them curiously. Like they were of great interest to her all of a sudden. It’s only then that Jennie notices the blue LED spinning on her right temple. Barely concealed behind the sleek, ebony locks that framed her elegant visuals, along with the triangle patch and the glowing armband on her suit jacket.

 

An android… She thinks while staring at her in a mix of wonderment and confusion. But what is this one doing here?

 

As if reading Jennie’s thoughts, the android replies. “I’m just looking for Chief Kwon. Is he around by any chance?” She asked in a tone that didn’t match her face. Its rough, almost raspy-like edge made her tenor voice even more uncharacteristic… and intriguing.

 

Meanwhile, Jongin relaxes his posture and smiles a bit. “Ah, sorry. He just left the station an hour ago. Why do you need him anyway?”

 

“My name is JISOO. I’m the android sent by Seoulite to assist in your investigations.” The android, Jisoo, says while bowing politely. “I was instructed to meet with Chief Kwon so we could discuss about the deviant cases.”

 

Jongin mirrors her initial surprise. “Android?” He parrots like a lost bird. “Since when did we—"

 

He was abruptly cut off by the sound of the doors sliding open to reveal Im Nayeon, a fellow officer and their mutual friend, as she entered the office without noticing the strange newcomer. “Oh, hey guys. I just came back to…”

 

Her eyes immediately land on Jisoo, who returns the gaze blankly. Still sporting that earlier mask of impassivity when she acknowledges her presence.

 

“… pick up my things.”

 

The two stare at the each other in a moment of tense silence, just as Jennie and Jongin share a look of panic. Nayeon and androids do not go well together. Especially in the same room.

 

“Now, Nayeon. Let’s not do anything too drastic—”

 

Jongin tries to interfere before the alarm bells start going off in her head. Unfortunately, it was too late. Her lips had already twisted into a scowl, and they hardly get to stop her from pointing a gun at the oblivious android.

 

“What the hell is that doing here?” Nayeon demanded while glaring daggers at Jisoo. Even in the face of a weapon, she stood unwavering on the spot. Bearing an air of nonchalance that riled up the furious officer. “Who are you?!”

 

Jennie quickly inserts herself between Jisoo and Nayeon, swallowing the uneasiness of having a pistol trained on her. “Hey, wait! Don’t shoot!” She interjects with a frantic wave of her hands. “She’s not a threat! Seoulite sent her here as an aid!”

 

Nayeon doesn’t budge, though her grip loosens for the benefit of her friend. “Since when?”

 

“Exactly my thoughts…” Jongin mutters from the side.

 

Jisoo, to poor Jennie’s dismay, then moves to approach Nayeon, in spite of the obvious aggression displayed towards her. The detective can only hope that the trigger isn’t pulled prematurely.

 

“Hello, officer.” Jisoo greets with a pleasant smile, like the gun isn’t just inches away from blowing it off. “My name is JISOO. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

 

“Yeah, sorry. Feeling’s not reciprocated.”

 

Seeing that she’s not relenting any time soon, Jennie shoots the cop a pleading look. And Jongin (bless his soul) jumps to her rescue.

 

“Hey, loosen up a little. Jisoo’s an ally.” He reasoned before giving the android a friendly pat on the shoulder, earning him a couple mixed stares from a puzzled Jisoo and a skeptical Nayeon. “She’s gonna help with the deviant cases apparently. Isn’t that cool?”

 

The officer clicks her tongue at this, but allows her scowl to slip into a more pensive frown as she withdraws her gun. Enough for Jennie to let out a relieved breath. Phew, crisis averted.

 

“Cool? Jongin, please.” She scoffed, clearly not buying the act when her brows furrowed in suspicion. “Don’t you think it’s ironic that they’re sending an android to catch other androids? What if it suddenly goes deviant on us?”

 

Jisoo pipes up this time. “I run on Seoulite’s most advanced processors that monitor my software stability. And I do regular self-tests to prevent any compromises to my program.” She looks straight into Nayeon’s caramel eyes, which regard her with evident mistrust. “The possibility of me turning deviant is less than ten-percent at most.”

 

Impressed, Jongin faces Nayeon and grins. “See? Nothing to worry about!” He assured with a wave of his hand. “Besides, I think it’s great to have some extra assistance in our investigations. Technology-wise, specifically.”

 

“So, what? It’s going to steal our jobs now too?” Came the rhetorical question from Nayeon, who looks visibly upset by this.

 

Jongin pursed his pouty lips. “You know it’s not like that—”

 

“But it could very much be! Jesus, have you even seen the recent employment rate of humans in Korea?!”

 

“Okay, first of all…”

 

As the two bicker back and forth like school children, Jennie sighs again and offers Jisoo an apologetic glance. “I’m sorry for Nayeon’s attitude. She hasn’t had a very good history with androids, but I think it’s mainly rooted in social prejudice.”

 

The android says nothing at first, but nodded like she understood perfectly.

 

“I know what you mean, detective.” Says Jisoo, calm and composed as ever. “Not everyone will have a good impression on androids. And although I’m equipped with a social module for easier integration, human relationships are often non-imperative to my missions. But I still try to keep a professional dynamic with those involved.”

 

Jennie isn’t sure of how to answer, so she just bobs her head along while humming. Until she realized—

 

“Wait, how do you know that I’m a detective?”

 

Her curious gaze is met with a seemingly amused one from Jisoo, who smiles her way. More relaxed, and less forced than earlier.

 

“My software is installed with a scanning program that allows me to profile humans and androids alike. The information I get are those that have already been stored in the country’s national database, which is updated periodically.” Jisoo taps on her temple for emphasis, just below her blue LED. “Seoulite has been given special permission to access these files and relay them to me for better identification. Especially in regards to the people working under law enforcement, such as yourself.”

 

She then winks at the stunned detective.

 

“Your full name is Jennifer Ruby Jane Kim. 23 years of age, and currently standing at 163 centimeters in height. You’re also a full Korean, despite your English name, and you have no criminal offences recorded. Occupation is a given, and your threat level is low.”

 

(Okay, that last bit was unexpected. But still—)

 

The android recites them as if she’s simply making up those details on the spot. All the while, Jennie gapes at her in speechless amazement.

 

She’s never encountered such an… interesting android before, and Jisoo is on a whole different level!

 

“That’s amazing!” Jennie gushed as her eyes widened in awe. “So, you know these things about everyone?”

 

“Not everyone, detective. Just the registered citizens in the database. And the general information, of course. Same goes for the androids, obsolete or otherwise.” Jisoo smiles wider, and Jennie thinks the expression is genuine. A big surprise, really. Considering how stoic-faced the android was when they first met.

 

It suits her more.

 

“… if you don’t wanna listen to me, then fine! But I’m telling you, Jongin! These machines are trouble!” Nayeon seethes before throwing a nasty glare at Jisoo. “Do whatever you want, but I’m not letting it meddle in my business!”

 

With that point across, the fuming officer stomps out the room while Jongin palms his forehead. Their argument must’ve really sapped out his energy, judging by the dreadfully resigned look on his face.

 

“She forgot to grab her things…” He muttered tiredly. “Ah, well. I tried, but I can’t get through her. Sorry you had to deal with that, Jisoo. Nayeon’s actually okay, she just has a personal vendetta against your kind. Y’know, the typical stuff.”

 

And just like that, her neutral front is back again. Emotionless, and almost apathetic. Except Jennie can’t tell if it’s because of Jongin’s words, or if she’s programmed to behave like so.

 

“No need to apologize, officer. It’s an expected response.”

 

Seeing how late it is already, the two excuse themselves to go pack up their things for the night. As Jisoo busies herself with analyzing her surroundings (even scrutinizing a potted cactus of an empty cubicle, which Jennie finds a bit odd and adorable), the cop asks his friend about the android. Seeing that they were talking to each other when he and Nayeon were arguing.

 

“Jisoo didn’t say much, but she’s definitely something else.” Jennie raves while side-eyeing the android.  “She can access the national database and collect information from it. Nothing too incriminating, but it’s a first. For all I know, she probably has a profile of you recorded in her software or something. Nayeon’s too.”

 

Jongin peeks at Jisoo before turning back to Jennie with incredulity. “If that’s the case, then she has to the most advanced model yet. None of the police androids even have that kind of feature!”

 

Jennie nods in agreement as she watched Jisoo roam around the office. And a peculiar one at that… She ponders.

 

 

 

 

They’re outside the station a few minutes later, with Jennie lingering by Jongin’s side as he waits for the shuttle bus to arrive. They were initially worried about having to leave Jisoo behind, but she assures them that she’ll be returning to Seoulite’s main headquarters after inquiring about Chief Kwon’s schedule from the reception desk.

 

“There’s my ride.” He gestures at the approaching transport carrying both humans and androids in two separate compartments. “You sure you’re okay with walking alone? I can always take the next shuttle.”

 

Jennie politely declines the offer. “I’ll be fine, Jongin. My apartment’s just a couple blocks down anyway. And the streets are mostly empty by now.”

 

“Alright. Be safe, Nini.” Jongin smiles before ruffling her chestnut hair affectionately, earning him a weak slap and a half-hearted whine. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“Oh, just go before Soojung starts blowing up your phone for being late. Again.” Teased Jennie as she playfully shooed him away, and he boards the bus after hugging her goodbye. Once the shuttle departs, Jennie heads straight for home. An extra spring in her step as she eagerly anticipates a warm shower followed by some well-deserved rest—right after she checks on Kuma and feeds him, of course.

 

As much as she loves her job (excluding the paperwork), she would never let it get in the way of caring for her precious puppy. In fact, Jennie would make sure that Kuma gets a little treat in his bowl as compensation for the late dinner.

 

Unbeknownst to her, someone else has been tagging along ever since she left the station. Going unnoticed by the clueless detective, who was engrossed in her own thoughts as she kept walking. It’s only when she felt a looming presence behind her, that Jennie knew something was clearly amiss. And before she could turn around, a hand suddenly touches her shoulder.

 

“Holy —!”

 

She barely managed to suppress her shriek as she spun on her heel. Falling into self-defense mode as she promptly pulled her trembling fist back. Ready to deliver an uppercut to the stranger, who just so happened to be—

 

“Jisoo?!” She almost screamed.

 

“Good evening, detective.” Jisoo greets her, looking past Jennie’s shocked expression and how she had nearly punched the innocent android. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

 

She stares at her critically. “What are you even doing here?!”

 

“I was just following you back home.”

 

The simple, straight-forward reply has Jennie reeling into shock once more. God, her heart is racing. (And it’s not because Jisoo was standing painfully close to her.)

 

“Are you always this blunt?” She blurts out. “Because I don’t know how to feel about it now that you openly admitted to stalking me!”

 

Jisoo her head to one side as she regards her in slight confusion. “I’m only stating the truth. And I was ‘stalking’ you, per se. Had it been my intention, I wouldn’t have approached you myself.”

 

Uh, no. You were definitely stalking me. Jennie wanted to say, but stopped herself short when she realized how ridiculous it would be to argue with an android. Just like humans, they also have their own ways of understanding things—albeit sometimes, theirs was a bit skewed and often literal.

 

Shaking her head, the detective held both her hands up as if to say ‘okay, whatever’ with a look of resignation across her face. “Never mind...” She sighs in defeat. “I thought you said that you’d be returning to Seoulite?”

 

“Yes, but I noticed that you didn’t join Officer Kim in the shuttle bus earlier. I assumed you had your own ride, until I saw you walking alone.”

 

Jisoo’s temple-LED flickers a soft blue as it spun in steady circles.

 

“It’s 8:37 in the evening, detective. Crime rates are usually up during the nighttime hours, which makes it rather unsafe to be out here on your own. This district is much safer than the others in Seoul, but the possibility of getting mugged is around five to twelve-percent at the bare minimum. You should be wary of alleyways and other blind spots scattered around the area. The chances are much higher in those locations.”

 

Jennie could only blink.

 

“… I think I can fend for myself, Jisoo.” She reasons with a wry laugh. “I’ve had my fair share of fights in past cases, and I came out of them just fine.” Sort of.

 

It’s not like she doesn’t appreciate Jisoo’s “concern” (if she can call it that) about her well-being, but she’s taken martial arts and self-defense classes for six-months in the academy! What’s a couple, tactless thugs to an experienced combatant like Kim Jen—

 

“You have bullet wound on your upper right arm.”

 

Jisoo says out of the blue, and it catches Jennie off-guard. Prompting her to stare at the android like she had been the one who almost got hit.

 

“H-How do you…” She stammered. There’s no way Jisoo could’ve noticed it under her blazer…!

 

“I have a forensics program that allows for physical assessment, though it’s mostly for analyzing dead bodies to pinpoint their cause of death.” Jisoo calmly explained. “My optical units have also noticed the tremors in your right hand when you tried to punch me, and I suppose it has something to do with your injury. Am I correct?”

 

At this point, Jennie is just… baffled beyond belief!

 

Guess there’s no arguing with her now.

 

“Yeah, that’s correct…” She admits quietly, reaching for the long-healed surgery scar with a hand and grasping her sleeve. “It was from one of my cases. A robbery, to be specific. My team had a shoot-out with the deviant, and a bullet caught my arm. The tremors are caused by a damaged nerve, which makes it hard to aim my gun properly.”

 

“Does it still hurt?” Asked Jisoo, her midnight-black eyes regarding the detective inquisitively. It surprises Jennie for a moment, before she answers.

 

“Not really, but it does tingle sometimes.”

 

Do androids even know what pain feels like? She can’t help but wonder.

 

“I see.”

 

They lapsed into a semi-awkward silence that made Jennie a bit skittish, especially under Jisoo’s contemplative gaze. What else could be going in her spectacularly enhanced mind? (Or, in this case, software?) There’s just so much she has yet to discover about her unusual companion.

 

Perhaps another day, she’ll find them out.

 

“You know what, Jisoo? I think I’m going to enjoy having you around.”

 

 

 

 

Ten minutes later, the two are walking up the stairs of a modest apartment building as Jennie chatted amicably with Jisoo. The android wasn’t exactly the talkative type, and only gave her usual, straight-forward replies to the detective’s seemingly never-ending rush of questions. Most of which are about her recent missions.

 

“I’m still amazed at how you saved that little girl.” Jennie says in awe as her eyes sparkled. “You just talked it out with the deviant and convinced him to let her go, just like that?”

 

Jisoo nodded. “It took some time, but I managed to persuade it by simply bringing up its relationship with the hostage. That alone was enough to stabilize it, and it encouraged me to continue the approach without resorting to more… drastic methods.”

 

Jennie gazed at her curiously. “Drastic methods? Like what?”

 

“I retrieved a gun that was left behind by a police officer. It was hidden in my back pocket when I confronted the deviant, and I had the option to use it. My reflexes would’ve been fast enough to pull the trigger before he did, while also being able to grab the girl and pull her to safety.”

 

“But why didn’t you?”

 

The LED swirled in tentative circles as Jisoo mulled it over in her head. “It contradicted my directives, which were to gain the deviant’s trust. Not destroy it. And besides, the gun was long discarded when I finally reached them. I couldn’t risk a major stability drop.”

 

Jennie hums, deciding to end their conversation there once they stop at the glass doors of her apartment’s lobby.

 

“Well, this is me.”

 

She says before turning to Jisoo and flashing her a grateful smile. Unknowingly, Jisoo takes note of how her chubby cheeks seem to accentuate the action. Making them appear squishier as they pushed up her eyes into little crescents—the right one being a tad smaller than the left.

 

“Thanks for walking me home, Jisoo. I appreciate it.”

 

Jisoo bows politely at her. “You’re welcome, detective. Have a good night.”

 

She turns around and proceeds to walk away, just as Jennie watches her go. Lingering by the entrance for a while until the muted, blue glow of Jisoo’s LED disappears behind the corner, and she goes inside with the smile still plastered on her face. After a very uneventful day, it felt nice to end it on a positive note. Who knew androids can be such good company?

 

Needless to say, Jennie is definitely looking forward to meeting her again.

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note: I've finally updated this damn story after five days of procrastinating and hurting my back. Wew~

MAJOR changes to Jennie's chapter, cuz idk what I was drinking when I wrote the original one. Jesus, that was 4k words of utter garbage and regret. (If you've read the first version, please forget that it ever existed. It needs to die.)

I tried searching up details about nerve deficits and their (possible) correlation with bullet wounds, but like... I only found a Huffington post that kind of explained their causes to the body, and another article that mentioned "tremors" on the inflicted area. So, it's not 100% accurate.

That said, the closest I got to Jennie's "condition" are essential/post-traumatic tremors. But don't take my word for it.