o15

Two Heavy Crowns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 15:

 

Taeyong stayed in one of the extra guest quarters in the palace. He sat on his bed, and scrolled through many impolite comments about him on the internet. Articles, news segments, and YouTube videos reported on his inexperience and his background with the Presidential family. There were a few nice comments, regarding his poise, discipline, and behavior. But there were countless comments from random citizens that didn’t approve of his coronation, with reasons of him ruining the traditional bloodline of the royal family. Other comments bashed on the King’s rash decisions of disregarding the entire bloodline, and regarding the silent Princess.

 

Taeyong huffed and shut his laptop with a slap and turned his phone on, only to reveal many, many missed calls for numbers he didn’t recognize and some missed calls from his girlfriend. He decided to call her back, knowing that she’s probably worried or under a lot of stress because of his current situation.

Chungha answered the phone, “Hello? Babe?”

“Hey, love. How are you?”

“How am I? How are you?! Are you alright?” Chungha worried, causing Taeyong to smile unconsciously, being touched by her concern.

“I’m fine, babe. I’m doing good here at the palace. Sorry for not being there for your awards ceremony. I just can’t because I’m not in the position to go out.”

“I know, I understand… So, when is the next time I can see you?” She asked him hopefully.

Taeyong sighed and responded truthfully, “I don’t know actually. I’m in a tight spot and the world hates me. But I’ll let you know when I can see you.”

“Alright, and don’t say that. The world doesn’t hate you. They’re just confused, okay? Everything will be fine…” Chungha felt her heart drop slowly as disappointment kicked in. “Are you sure you want this, babe?” She referred to the throne, still a bit iffy about his sudden turn of circumstances.

Taeyong took a pause to think and answered his girlfriend truthfully, “I think so.” He heard silence on the other line. “I’m doing this for us. For me. And for the country.”

“Since when did you want to do it for the country?” She questioned, being unfamiliar with his reason.

“The King trusts me. I think it’s the first I’ve ever heard someone want me to take the lead. And I want to prove to everyone that I won’t let them down… I won’t let this country down.”

“You’ve never wanted to be ruler before. Where did all of this come from? Plus, this country has the Princess to take over-.”

“I know the Princess.” Taeyong cut in. “She’s a free-will. She doesn’t even like being Princess, much more a Queen.”

Chungha nodded and stayed quiet on the phone.

Taeyong took the opportunity to reassure her that everything will turn out fine. “You’re a good person, Chungha. The country would be lucky to have you as Queen soon.”

“I hope so.”

 

~

 

The whole friend group was silent when Jaehyun and Jisoo showed up at USC together today. Everyone seemed to know what was happening in Jisoo’s country and they were all trying their best not to stir up any worry, so they kept silent in front of the couple, who also remained silent when they all met again at the water fountain. Lucas was the most awkward during their little meeting today. He swayed back and forth and didn’t know what to do with his hands. He ended up initiating small talk, which everybody felt relieved about. “So… I heard there was an EXO concert coming up in February! Who’s planning on going?”

Lucas, himself, and Mark immediately raised their hands to be part of the small talk.

“I am!” Mark cheered, “EXO is my favorite.”

Then, Ten asked, looking as clueless as possible, “What’s EXO?”

And Lisa snapped at him, “What do you mean What’s EXO?” She imitated him with a dumb man voice, sparking a few giggles in the group, including Jaehyun and Jisoo. “I’ll personally show you their music and drag you to the concert.” She promised Ten, who didn’t mind at all.

Ten turned to Jisoo and asked her, “Do you know EXO?”

Jisoo shyly shook her head, “I don’t know very many people.”

Lucas, Mark, and Lisa gasped in unison, then turned to Jaehyun. Lucas assigned Jaehyun to homework for tonight. “Jaehyun, it is your responsibility to show her everything EXO tonight! I will be grading your hard work the next time I see Jisoo.”

Jisoo giggled as Jaehyun gave his friends a thumbs up.

 

Eventually, Jaehyun and Ten left the group to attend their last class for the day. Lisa, Mark, and Lucas gathered at an outdoor table to socialize as they wait for the others to finish class.

Just to assure herself, Lisa gazed over at Jisoo, who was sitting beside her, and asked, “Jisoo… Are you doing alright?”

Jisoo faked a warm smile for her friends and nodded, but didn’t say anything.

Lucas and Mark sat across from the girls and exchanged glances. And Mark took up the courage to actually have a detailed conversation with her about the elephant in the room. “We all know what’s going through your mind, Jisoo. We want to help. We would love to, but only if you let us.” Mark told her, following audible approvals from Lisa and Lucas. “You haven’t been acting like yourself for the past couple days. Tell us what’s wrong.”

Jisoo felt comfortable around her friends, and as she saw sincerity in all of their eyes, she decided to speak up. “I’m having trouble making a decision.”

“What kind of decision?” Lucas asked for clarification.

“... a decision to choose between doing the right thing, and doing the thing that makes me happy.” She clarified.

“Well what is this regarding to?” Mark asked.

“The royal family.”

The three of them grew silent, for they knew that this situation was out of their control and out of their capabilities to help. Nonetheless, they tried to help Jisoo make up her mind about what she should do.

“What are the options that you are stuck in between?” Lisa queried.

“Either I go back to the palace and risk not having to come back here… or stay here, and let my country know that I ran away from Princesshood, and ruin the reputation of myself, my father, and the royal family.” Jisoo looked down to her lap, and expectedly didn’t hear any more comments from her friends. She didn’t blame them. They aren’t involved in her problem.

Out of the blue, as Jisoo wasn’t paying attention, Lisa wrapped both of her arms around Jisoo and pulled her into a hug. Before Jisoo could say anything, Lisa started, “I know this is random, but I just want to let you know that I’m here for you, Jisoo… And whatever yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter