o13

Two Heavy Crowns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 13:

 

“Babe, can you please just tell me what’s going on?” Chungha, Taeyong’s 3-year long girlfriend, who just switched the television to a different channel as the news channels raves about the press conference that the King held at the palace. “What the hell do they mean that you’re next in line for the throne? How-,” Chungha was starting to become impatient as Taeyong wasn’t answering her immediately across the phone.

 

It’s been 2 weeks since Taeyong visited Jisoo and Jaehyun in Los Angeles. He is now taking residence in the palace, where the King and the royal assistants are gradually teaching him how to be a decent ruler. However, Taeyong wanted to keep this entire thing a surprise for his girlfriend, therefore never told her anything about his future of becoming King.

 

Chungha was in the middle of getting ready to leave for a photo shoot, because she is an active A-list Korean Celebrity, when she stumbled upon hearing the TV rave about the King announcing the next in line for the throne:

 

The palace courtyard was full occupied by reporters, cameras, and news channel anchors. The King walked up to the podium, where he would announce the special news that he had called the press for. The President and various government officials stood beside him on all sides. He cleared his throat before preparing his speech in front of the crowd of people.

“Faithful citizens and residents of South Korea, I gathered the press here today to present thrilling news for you all. In regards to the next in line for my place as King of this thriving country, I have chosen a worthy, experienced individual to take my place when I retire. As all of you know, our royal line of leaders work hand in hand with the congress and President. The all branches of our government came together to make the decision of crowning this new individual as the next heir to the throne. Please come to the stage, Lee Taeyong.”

 

The cameras shuttered and flashed mercilessly as a man in a royal blue suit and well-groomed hair confidently made his way from inside of the castle doors to the podium. He waved and smiled at the cameras as he introduced himself as the future King of the country, “Good Morning, people of South Korea. I am Lee Taeyong. I am willing to give my heart, body, and soul to keep our country thriving as I fulfill my duty as King. Please trust and put your faith in me as I do for all faithful citizens of the country.”

Taeyong steps out to the side of the podium to make a full bow towards the press.

 

Chungha couldn’t believe her eyes and ears and her boyfriend all of a sudden remained the #1 trending news of the Nation. She waited for him to answer her question through the phone, but he somehow remained very calm and simply told her not to worry.

“Chungha, babe, don’t worry about the how I got here. Worry about what you’re going to do with the world… because I promise I’m going to give it to you. Fortunately enough, giving you the world is 100% realistic now that we’ll be royals soon. I hope you don’t hate me for keeping this whole situation a secret. I wasn’t allowed to tell anyone.” Taeyong took a minute to tell all of this to her over the phone.

Chungha could only feel overwhelmed by the sudden change in plans. Never in her life did she imagine to be a National Royal, nor did she expect Taeyong to become one.

“Taeyong…” She called into the little muffles from her phone call, “Did you do this because of what my father said to you?”

Taeyong took a pause to recall how he was belittled by her father for being handed his opportunities simply because he’s the President’s nephew. He simply answered, “Not entirely. I wanted this for us. I wanted this so I can be able to live with myself, knowing that I am capable of giving you the life of a Queen… because I love you.” Taeyong truthfully told her over the phone.

Chungha sighed and assured him, “I love you too. But I want you to know that being King is no different than being ordinary Taeyong. I’ll accept you for whatever you do, whatever you chose, whoever you chose to become.”

“I know, Chungha… But to me, in my eyes, I don’t deserve you. Through becoming a royal, I can prove to myself and your father that I can deserve you. Could you please understand me?”

Chungha took a moment to think about the blurry future ahead of them, now that he will soon become a royal of South Korea. Nonetheless, she loved him. Nonetheless, he is the same Taeyong that she promised to stay beside. “Of course, love.”

 

~

 

The country had not stopped raving about Taeyong being deemed the next King of South Korea. The citizens and media came to notice that the Princess was silent about the news, and that she wasn’t present at the press conference. Stirring confusion and suspicion in the country, the media began to question where the Princess was. And what did she have to say about this announcement? Social media outbursts demanded that the Princess would comment on this announcement and that she would explain why the throne did not remain in the family bloodline, why she didn’t marry, like many generations of bloodline related coronations to the throne. The citizens started suspecting whether or not she is actually present in the palace. Rumors spread throughout the country, gossiping that the Princess is missing and the palace is covering up her absence by announcing Taeyong’s coronation. The palace kept silent amidst the calamity.

 

The news spread like a wildfire throughout Korea and the flames did not wear out within days. It’s been a week since the King released the big news, therefore, it’s been three weeks since Taeyong has even heard from the Princess in Los Angeles.

 

“Jisoo?” Jaehyun called out to her as she sat on the sofa, legs curled up and staring her phone in blankness. “Are you okay?”

Jisoo looked up to Jaehyun, her three-week long boyfriend, and snapped back into reality. “Yeah, I just can’t believe I finished my entire Duolingo lesson.” She honestly answered him with silent joy. She showed him her smartphone screen to a completed Duolingo (language learning app) lesson for English. “Isn’t it awesome?! Does that mean I’m super fluent now?!”

Jaehyun chuckled at how excited she was about finishing her Duolingo lessons. Something so small made her so happy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter