oo1

Two Heavy Crowns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Quick Note from the Author: This story is based on make-believe setting. In this setting. Korea's government is half-monarchy, and half-republic. Crazy right? In this story, the King and President work hand-in-hand to run the country, however, the King is the executive compared to the President. In this government setting. the President/ Republic acts as the checks-and-balances to keep the King from overuling. So don't be confused when you see the appearance of both, the King and President. And since there is a Monarchy, the Princess exists.

 

Chapter 1:

 

“Your Highness, your father, the King, is awaiting your presence in the dining room.” The princess’ royal messenger enters the sunlit, prestigiously decorated royal quarters. The Princess remains laid on her side upon her large, silk beige bedsheets. Staring blankly at the wall in front of her, she responds to her royal messenger, Chaeyoung, with a soft, unmotivated tone, “Tell him that I’m not hungry.”

The messenger convinces otherwise, with the politest pitch of voice, “But, Your Highness, the King demands that you arrive in the dining hall within 15 minutes. Otherwise, he may take away your freedom to go outdoors, he said.” She keeps her hands firmly together in front of her stomach and bows her head at an angle as Princess Jisoo sighs in obvious disappointment.

The Princess lived in generously large quarters within the castle. In a generation, where Korea had moved the royal family to a more modern, almost-Victorian looking castle apart from the traditional castles, used throughout previous dynasties, the royal family never found the need to wander outside of the castle, for the castle was already so spacious and as plentiful as it could ever be. To the Princess, leaving the castle was all she ever dreamt of, although it was nearly impossible and needless. The outdoor gardens were the closest comparison to being out there, outside of the castle grounds. Her father, the King, has grounded her before, forbid her from leaving her quarters for nearly a month after she attempted to leave the highly-secured perimeter. Being locked up in her room again was one of the biggest threats to the Princess.

She sits up on the side of her wide bed and took another deep breath before she stood up, making her way to the messenger, who stood waiting beside the door. Chaeyoung remained bowing her head, anticipating the Princess’ answer to her nervous persuasion. “I’ll be ready in five minutes. Please wait for me outside of my room.”

A slight grin of relief became apparent on Chaeyoung’s face before she bowed fully and turned to face the exit. “Yes, Princess.” Jisoo watched Chaeyoung leave her large living space. As the door closed behind the messenger, Jisoo lumbered over to the long mirror that was placed at the left corner beside her bed. Examining herself in the mirror, she posed subtly a few times to appreciate her well-kept image. She wore her hair down in soft curls, waterfalling upon both of her frail shoulders. Her dress today was simple, yet elegant. The soft rose-pink fabric gown hugged her body beautifully as the short sleeves umbrella over her shoulders and her neckline covered with a high scoop design, prettily displaying her collarbones. The skirt made perfect, even waves around her waist and hang just above the ground, made just for the Princess’ height and body. Her jewelry didn’t scream wealth, however embodied elegance in the simplest manner. The white, sparkling diamonds along her neckline and as studs on her ears twinkled just enough to attract attention from a mile away. Her heels were nonexistent, however. Jisoo doesn’t bother to wear heels on days she isn’t expected to. Her satin flats displayed a light shade of gold, reflecting the sunshine at every angle. To millions, Princess Jisoo represented the image of a perfect Princess. To her, she was merely a puppet, dressed in expensive clothing and housed in a palace, nothing more.

Jisoo sauntered over to the door, leading to the hallway outside of her quarters. She already expected to hear bad news once she meets with her father. The King had already discussed the idea of marriage with her, and that being arranged to marry a high-status, responsible man was the one wish that the King had for his daughter. As any free-willed Princess would, she dreaded the idea of an arranged marriage. She never had the freedom to love freely, yet she yearned for it so desperately. Everyone working in the palace had known the Princess ever since she was young, watching her grow into the young woman that she is. Many palace workers have grown attached to the Princess, and she was the same towards them. Very few of them knew the Princess personally, though. Chaeyoung, her royal messenger, was one of them. Chaeyoung, being of similar age, had many long conversations with Jisoo throughout the couple years that she had worked in the palace.

Chaeyoung, before she had the opportunity to work as the messenger, graduated from Seoul University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications and minor in Political Science. Chaeyoung, upon the Jisoo’s request, told many stories about her experiences out in the real world, in college, and in her hometown. Her stories only intensified Jisoo’s desire to be free from the palace and of her name.

Jisoo only understood one thing throughout her entire life as Princess: She hated being the Princess.

~

The royal messenger closed the doors behind the Princess as she exited her quarters. Princess Jisoo took poised strides through the marble floors of the castle hallway, leading to the grand dining area, where her father waited her. Chaeyoung, paced behind her before opening the double doors into the dining room, allowing the Princess’ entrance. Jisoo stepped in, with her chin held high, as a proper Princess should.

 

The occupants of the long, fancy dining table set in the middle of the room stood to their feet to honor the Princess’ presence in the room. Jisoo made her way to her father, who stood at the far edge of the luxurious white wooden table. The King greeted his daughter with a smile and patted her in the shoulder before signaling her to the empty seat on his right. Before sitting down, he introduced her to the guest, who stood across from her.

 

The man in front the Princess stands confidently before her, with smooth, light brown locks of hair, which he styled to make soft waves to the sides of his head. His eyes glowed alike to shiny onyx stones under the moonlight. And his attire demanded the respect of a royal. Although, he wore modern formal wear, his black suit reflected the light from the windows subtly within every thread. His pearl white collared shirt displayed flawlessly underneath, although not buttoned all the way. He grinned at Jisoo, who did not reciprocate the same hearty gesture.

 

The King continued toward his daughter, “This is Lee Taeyong, nephew of our country’s President.” Jisoo took another look at the man adjacent to her and bowed. All three resumed to sit in their highly detailed carved wooden seats to begin eating their lunch. As royal helpers flooded into the room, presenting the three with their savory, well-prepared dishes, the King once again initiated the conversation.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter