Astronomy Club

Targeting the Moon

"Sorry. I just think you're cute." 

Jungkook kept replaying those words in his head. What was that even supposed to mean? He had stared at Jimin in complete shock before packing up his things and leaving without another word. He walked down the street, kicking aside a rock with his black shoe.  

Him? Cute? No. A baby is cute. A bunny? Cute. Jeon Jungkook? A cute assassin? No, didn’t think so. A scary assassin.  

He fiddled for the set of keys that nested in his pocket. Jungkook finally arrived to a small, white house with a brown wooded gate at the front. He opened the gate and then used the other key to open the door to his house. He stepped inside the hallway that was lit with the rays of sun that slipped in from the window at the end of the hallway.  

“I'm home!” 

The smell of broth filled his nostrils as he inhaled deeply, slipping off his shoes near the door. A smaller, petite woman with a few graying hairs stepped out to the archway that led to the kitchen.  

“Welcome home, gookie-yah~” 

He smiled widely, a warm sense of comfort washing over his body as he saw his mother. Jungkook went up to her and gave her a kiss on the forehead. He sniffed the air once more. 

“Ah! Kimchi stew today?” 

She laughed, her laughter overpowering the ballad playing in the background. He could already imagine her singing along with all her heart.  

“You get better at this every time. You should have become a chef with that nose and appetite!” She walked back to the kitchen where she stirred the stew, “How is your work? I can’t believe you’ve been working in that higher position for a for a few months now.” 

His mother carefully poured the stew and served it alongside a bowl of rice. She poured herself a smaller portion to eat alongside her son and looked at him, eyes b with adoration.  

“Actually, about that.” Jungkook began, “Something crazy happened.” 

She arched an eyebrow in worry. Despite the fact that Jungkook should be the one worrying over his sickly mother, it always seemed to be the other way around. He shook his head in reassurance as he sipped his stew.  

“I got scouted for the best performing arts school.” 

She blinked a few times in surprise. “Murano?” 

Jungkook nodded, shoving rice into his mouth to avoid responding to too many questions that were sure to come. He mentally went over the cover story Changmin had relentlessly drilled him on. 

He swallowed the rice and put his chopsticks down, “I was leaving work and got scouted. Technically since I never continued my studies, they said I was eligible to join. They want to count some of my previous courses so I would be placed in the second year as a transfer. Crazy huh?” 

His mother had long forgotten the stew in front of her, slightly agape. “How will we ever afford that? Entertainment? Like an actor or idol?” 

“All paid for! I’m just that good!” Jungkook smiled brightly, kind of enjoying her reaction. If only this was how things really had gone. If he actually became an idol, he could probably make enough money for her treatment as well. But instead he had picked a different path... 

Her eyes welled with emotion, tears threatening to spill onto her cheeks. She pushed her food aside and wrapped her arms around him. 

“I’m so proud of you Jungkookie. I always knew you were so unique and talented and now others will be able to see it too. Plus, that police business is always dangerous. I know you will succeed no matter what you do. You are my greatest joy.” 

He held her tightly, shutting his eyes to not get overwhelmed by the emotion. This was exactly why he had done what he did. There were nights when he didn’t sleep well, tormented by the actions he had taken. But seeing her smile, seeing her shine above it all made it worth it.  

He would go to hell and back to protect her.  

Jungkook smiled and her hair, “Eomma, your food will get cold. Let’s eat.” 

“When do you start?” 

He grinned sheepishly. 

“I start tomorrow.” He lied.  

She nodded. “I’ll make sure to prepare a delicious lunch for my boy. Now finish up and go wash up. You have a big day tomorrow.” 

He smiled at her, wishing he didn’t have to lie to the person he cared for the most. Yet, it was for the best. He finished his meal and washed his plate before giving his mom a kiss on the forehead and going upstairs to his room.  

His room was small and clean. He didn’t have many things. A desk and chair, a mirror, a closet, and a bed. That was about it. Now that he thought about it, even the colors looked dull. Gray scale and blue highlights. Dull indeed.  

He put his bag down by his desk and threw himself onto the bed. He really had to go back to that school tomorrow. Everything happened so quickly that he didn’t have time to process everything.    

"Sorry. I just think you're cute." 

Well, almost everything.  

Out of curiosity, he tried looking up the boy on social media. He never wanted to get to know his targets too closely, but this was an exception. He tapped in his name, hoping to find relevant suggestions. 

Park Jimin. 

It was all too easy. Despite having grayish hair in his profile picture, it was most definitely him. He had those large eyes that oddly enough seemed to twinkle whenever the light hit them. They seemed to droop lightly into the thick aegyo-sal underneath. The soft cheekbones that gave a childlike facial structure which contrasted with his more defined jaw. Those plump pink lips... 

He was beautiful.  

Jungkook couldn’t deny that. He was gorgeous. He scrolled through a sea of selcas and food pictures. In a few of them, he was with his friends, two of them which he had met earlier. Namjoon and Seokjin. The other two he hadn’t met yet. Jungkook’s finger stopped scrolling at one photo. Jimin, this time with orange locks, had taken a selca with another boy, their cheeks pressed against each other's. The corner of Jungkook’s lip twitched and he pushed his tongue against his cheek. Guess he found everyone “cute.” 

The other boy had sea blue hair, large bright eyes, and a boxy grin. Model probably. Straight up idol material. Although he suspected this Jimin could have a girlfriend, this was probably his boyfriend? He was in most pictures. His fingertip pressed upon the face of the stranger to reveal the tag.  

Vante?  

Jungkook slid his thumb upwards again, scrolling further down. For some reason, Jungkook had convinced himself that if he kept scrolling he could possibly find something to make his job easier. Anything to make him push this ball of guilt already welling in his chest. He had done similar things before, but in one way or another, it had been validated. His previous targets were all criminals, murderers, rapists, etc. Jimin? He seemed like an ordinary student. A smiling, happy student.  

He stopped at another photo from a year ago. Jimin, Seokjin, this Vante person, the president, and a Jung Hoseok all laughing together at a beach. Would his friends miss him? He had hundreds of thousands of followers. Would they miss him? Would any of them know why he had to go? 

Jungkook didn’t realize he was staring at Jimin in the photograph this whole time until a notification popped on his screen, shaking his trance. He looked at it and gasped, throwing his phone across the room.  

[ @pjm_86 sent you a friend request. ] 

That’s it. He knew. He was onto him. There must be cameras looking in on him this very moment. He should just go straight to the police and turn himself in. He rolled on his bed, giving a frustrated scream into his pillow before standing up.  

WHAT WAS HE DOING? 

He slapped his cheek for good measure and went to pick up his phone. He breathed out. This was nothing new. He would carry out this one job and never have to do this type of work again. He had to do it for his mother. Now was not the time to act like this.  

He accepted the friend request and almost instantly got a direct message from him.  

 

[@pjm_86: Jungkookie, it’s me, Park Jimin ] 

[ @pjm_86 : From class! ] 

[ @pjm_86: Busan, remember??] 

[ @pjm_86: Jeon Jungkook, don’t ignore me, you brat! I’m still older than you.] 

 

Jungkook groaned. It was not a good idea to get involved. He would just have to be around enough to learn his schedule and make a plan. He didn’t need to be friends with him. But the more he ignored him, the more Jimin was spamming his phone.  

[ @pjm_86: JEON JUNGKOOOOOk! ] 

[ @pjm_86: JeON JunGoOK ] 

[ @tgc_jjk: I remember you. How did you find me? ] 

Stupid question. 

[ @pjm_86: I didn’t know you used to be in the police academy! ] 

[ @tgc_jjk: what do you want, Jimin? ] 

[ @pjm_86: To be your friend (´。• ω •。`) ♡ ] 

Jungkook scoffed lightly. He didn’t have any friends. He didn’t need any.  

[@tgc_jjk: I’m going to sleep. See you tomorrow ] 

[ @pjm_86: . . . ] 

[ @pjm_86: (╥﹏╥) g’night ] 

 

Jungkook washed up and got into bed, pulling the blanket over his head. Another long day tomorrow.  

 


 

It was one thing to see Park Jimin on the blue-light screen on his phone. It was another to see him smiling in the flesh waving at him. 1080 pixels has nothing on his eyes.  

Jungkook only nodded back at Jimin, not wanting him to think he actually wanted to interact with him. His eyes shifted slightly to the left where he saw the Seokjin who also nodded in his direction. Jimin waved more fervently.  

He rolled his eyes and took a 90-degree turn, walking to the entrance to switch his shoes for his indoor ones. Jungkook picked up his bag again and was about to walk to his classroom when he heard a scuffle of footsteps behind him.  

“Jeon Jungkook!” 

Jimin was struggling to switch his shoes fast enough and run after him at the same time. Jungkook used the advantage of his longer legs to speed walk away. Jimin didn’t give up though and gracefully maneuvered his way through the hallway, running to catch up to the taller boy. He reached out and got a grip of his sleeve.  

Jungkook paused as he felt the hand grab his arm and turned around to look at Jimin.  

“What?” 

Jimin instantly scowled. “I’m trying to talk to you this whole time. First you brush me off last night and then you ignore me this morning?” 

“What do you want?” 

“I just want to show you around! I’m actually really happy that someone else from Busan is here and wanted to--”  

“Jeon Jungkook!” 

Kim Namjoon walked over to them. Jimin looked back, eyes shining, and ran over to them.  

“Hyung, he doesn’t want to be my friend.” Jimin said in a pouty tone.  

Namjoon rolled his eyes, “What are we, in primary school? Leave him alone, Jimin. Get to class. We’ll talk at lunch.” 

Seokjin, on the other hand, frowned at Jungkook. “He is just trying to help you and you refuse his help huh?” 

Jimin patted Seokjin’s arm, “Fine, I’m leaving first. See ya at lunch!” 

He walked away but turned around last minute and stuck his tongue out at Jungkook. The younger boy almost laughed. He really was a toddler.  

Namjoon turned back to him, shaking his head. The seriousness seemed to never leave his face. “Jeon Jungkook, you need to be enrolled in at least two clubs for full attendance.” 

Seokjin handed him a clipboard with a list of the clubs. Jungkook scanned the list, eyes immediately drawn to the Photography and Film club so he checked that box.  

“What if I don’t like any of the other ones?”  

Seokjin laughed. “Boy, just pick another one. You can just go in there and sit for all I care. You can make new friends!” 

Jungkook frowned. “Which one has the least amount of people?”  

“Astronomy club.” 

Namjoon shot Seokjin a reprimanding glance, but Seokjin brushed it aside.  

Jungkook nodded and checked that box as well.  

Seokjin took the clipboard back and grinned. “Alright! So, Astronomy club meets tonight at 20:00 and Photography and Film meets three times a week at 16:00. The details will be emailed to you.” 

The bell rang and the upperclassmen quickly went to make sure everyone went to class. Jungkook meanwhile stood there, processing a single piece of information. 20:00???? No wonder it wasn’t popular!! 

 


 

Building A Roof. 20:00. That’s all that was said.  

Jungkook made his way through the numerous flights of stairs in Building A. He had finished classes then gone home to eat and was coming back for that stupid club. His mother was shocked he had joined an astronomy club when he had no interest in anything of that nature before. But like Seokjin said, he could join and just sleep the hour away.  

He finally made it to the top, pushing the door open. There was a telescope and a quilt spread on the ground with some books. There was just a single person sitting on the floor, looking up at the moon which was slowly becoming brighter with the darkness. The boy turned around at the sound of the door and they both froze.  

Large droopy eyes versus large doe eyes in a staring battle that didn’t last more than 30 seconds.  

“What are you...” 

So, YOU are the astronomy club?” Jungkook asked, finding it quite amusing.  

Jimin frowned and glared at him. “Oh hell no. Get out.” 

Jungkook groaned. Park Jimin was one confusing man.