A Bad Idea

Targeting the Moon

“You’re done for.”

 

Those usually aren’t words that are fun to hear. Unless it is to get out of something bad, being done for can’t be anything good.

 

“You should have known better.”

 

Yes, he should have. If he had done this on purpose, that is.

 

Jeon Jungkook clenched his fist and bit the inside of his lip. No matter how many times he tried objecting, no one seemed to understand, or even listen.

 

“Sir, I never--”

 

“Save your breath. You know this academy is upheld to the utmost highest regards. We do not tolerate any irresponsible and crooked behavior.”

 

“If you would just see that--”

 

The brown haired boy sighed deeply, keeping his gaze on his lap. Tighten. Release. Tighten. Release.

 

“The evidence is clear as day. Are you accusing detectives and police officers to not even be able to interpret what they see correctly?”

 

His knuckles turned white from pressure and before he could control himself, his head snapped up and he exclaimed, “Well as police officers you should also know that evidence can be planted and innocent people can be framed!!”

 

The chief’s gaze darkened and his eyebrows furrowed further into a wrinkly array. Jungkook quickly looked back down, feeling his heart hammer in his chest and a cold shiver run down his spine. He really would be done now with no chance to prove his innocence.

 

“That is enough. Jeon Jungkook, you are hereby expelled from Chunseok Police Academy. Please pack your belongings and do not return.”

 

Jungkook blinked rapidly, swallowing hard to try to get rid of the growing knot in his throat.

 

“Sir, I beg of you please--I really want this. You know how hard I have worked. I am the top of the class. You really believe I would--”

“Hyungwoo, please him out.”

 

“No need,” Jungkook murmured under his breath, standing up abruptly to give a deep bow.

 

He got back up and walked out the door, eager to escape the room where the walls seemed to be closing in. He went to the hall with the cubicles where he stored all of his belongings. Without a second thought, he punched the metal door, not even wincing when the lock made painful contact with his knuckles.

 

In just one second, his world had come crashing down. And it wasn’t even his fault. Someone had set him up so it appeared to be that he had been cheating on exams and distributing answers. That would explain his perfect scores right? Not the endless nights of studying nor the days of starvation because he was too busy working and studying to even grab something to eat. No, those definitely couldn’t be. He had to have cheated right?

 

Jungkook gritted his teeth tightly, shoving his belongings into his backpack. He felt the sharp sting of salty tears accumulating at the corner of his eyes. He wrinkled his nose, inhaling sharply. Swallow, breathe, stay calm. Don’t give them that satisfaction. He quickly changed out of his uniform, folding it spitefully. He should just throw it wrinkled on the floor and be done with the matter. But that would make him seem like he was throwing a tantrum. It would reinforce the idea that he was guilty after all. Do not. After neatly folding all the clothes, he put on his black cargo pants and sweatshirt. He took his plain black cap and put it on, making sure it stayed low enough to partially cover his face.

 

Jungkook zipped up his black bag and turned around to leave when he noticed someone standing nearby from the corner of his eye. He wore the navy blue police academy uniform that he had just taken off and he instinctively looked away, unable to shake off the painful pang that struck his sinking heart.

 

“What do you want Yugyeom-ah?”

 

“I heard what happened…”

 

Jungkook slung his backpack over his shoulder, “Well if you know then everyone knows by now.”

 

“No, I just walked by and--”

 

“Eavesdropping? Watch out, you could be expelled too.” Jungkook stated bitterly.

 

Yugyeom opened his mouth to say something and paused, contemplating on whether to say it or not. The sudden silence made Jungkook realize he had probably been too harsh and cutting with his classmate.

 

“Sorry that I--”

 

“I know another job you could do.”

 

Jungkook turned around fully, his black sneakers squeaking slightly on the black linoleum floor.

 

“What?”

 

Yugyeom dug in his pockets for a bit before pulling out a strip of paper. He walked over and handed it to a very perplexed Jungkook. “Here, someone told me to give this to you.”

 

The brunette looked down at the strip of paper in his hand which only had the letters “LMW” followed by an address. He furrowed his eyebrows together. What was he supposed to…?

 

“I know you didn’t do it.” Yugyeom said softly and looked like he was going to say more before the sound of footsteps filled the hallway.

 

His eyes widened slightly and he headed to the restroom to hide.

 

Jungkook, still very much confused, stood there. When he saw Officer Hyungwoo enter the room, he crumpled the paper in his hand.

 

“Jeon Jungkook, it is time you leave.”

 

His eyes showed a hint of apology as if he too thought the decision was unfair. Yet, that wouldn’t do any good for him now.

 

Jungkook didn’t say a word and instead bowed to his superiors in respect and walked right by them to the exit. Pressing his fingers against the cold entrance doors, he briskly walked out. Without another word, he left the academy behind him and his dreams along with it.

 

He needed to be successful. He needed a stable income. If his mother’s condition worsened, he would need to be able to match the rising costs…

 

His long legs carried him far away enough where he wouldn’t be seen and he let his frustration out by screaming into an alleyway.

Jungkook’s vision got blurry as the tears once again threatened to slip past his tight guard and he kicked the trash can in an exertion of

rage. What would he do now??

 

All of a sudden, he became aware of the tightness in his still clenched hands. He hadn’t realized he had been closing his fists so tightly this whole time. As he released, the weight of the paper was noticeable once again.

He uncrumpled the paper and looked at the address. It wasn’t too far from where he currently was. Maybe he could…

 

No, Jungkook had seen enough television dramas and read countless horror stories online to know what happened next. He would follow the address and end up in front of an old warehouse that looked abandoned and bam! Next scene would be someone selling his organs on the black market or getting kidnapped or something. Why would they want to kidnap him though? He was probably in more need of money than…

 

“I know another job you could do.”

 

He had always been nice to Yugyeom. Jungkook actually considered him to be one of his close friends in the academy. He wouldn’t want him dead or lead him to a trap, right? Right? His brown eyes scanned the curves of each letter and he his dry lips as his thrumming heartbeat set the background rhythm to his decision making process.

 

LMW.

 

Hm.

 

Why not?

 

He didn’t have much to lose at this point. He couldn’t bear disappoint his mother either.

 

Jungkook took out his phone and typed in the address to find directions to the location. He tapped his thumb against the small image to see the type of locale. As expected, it was a seemingly empty two story apartment with a “for rent” sign on the first unit door.

 

Bad idea.

 

He put his phone away and shoved his hands in his pockets, walking over to the bus station. He anxiously ran his tongue against his cheek and bit the inside of his bottom lip.

 

Bad idea.

 

He fiddled with his cap, pulling it back a bit and just observed his surroundings. A small grandma pushing a cart of clean laundry. A mother scolding her child for running too close to the street. If he went missing, would any of these people come forward to reveal his last whereabouts?

 

The bus pulled up in front of him and he helped the old grannie onto the vehicle and he took a seat near the rear exit. He tapped his foot nervously.

 

Jungkook watched the street scenery as it moved by him but his eyes caught a glimpse of his own reflection. He focused on his image partially reflected on the bus window. He would probably grow his hair out slightly now that he wasn’t at the academy. His supervising chief had already advised him to get a haircut before the end of the week. His eyes were round and had a childlike spark to them filled with curiosity. His nose was slightly curved and large but that didn’t bother him too much. His front teeth had gotten him bullied as a kid for looking like a bunny teeth. Could this face really have been on the academy wall of graduating officers? Or would this face now appear on the missing persons section of the newspaper?

 

His feet kept the monotone rhythm, sending comforting vibrations throughout his body.

 

This was a bad idea.

 

Jungkook snapped out of his thoughts when he heard the name of the stop he was supposed to get off at. He bowed his head towards the grandma he had helped earlier and quickly hopped off. He was on the opposite side of the street from the address and instead of being greeted with a “for rent” sign, he was looking at a newly opened fried chicken restaurant “The Heart’s Golden Bird.”

First of all, that was a weird name for a restaurant and second of all...WHO DID YUGYEOM THINK HE WAS? Just because he had gotten kicked out of the police academy didn’t mean he would just take any random job now!

He paused in the middle of his inner outburst and cleared his throat. He actually really did need the money so any job would be better than none.

 

Jungkook flattened the edges of his shirt and fixed his hair, trying to look presentable. Before he could even take another step, he felt a strong hand grab him and pull him back towards the alleyway. Before he could even react, a heavy blindfold was placed over his eyes. Everything happened so quickly that he was thrown into shock, unable to say a sound, much less scream for help.

 

“Don’t make a sound, we aren’t here to hurt you.”

 

Yeah sure, that’s what they all say.

 

DAMN IT, YUGYEOM! HOW COULD HE HAVE SET HIM UP LIKE THIS?

 

He knew that this really had been a bad idea.

A very bad idea.