Mission: Day One

Targeting the Moon

 

How he ended up here? Who knows. A few unfortunate events and a lot of bad choices later, Jeon Jungkook found himself in front of a flight of concrete steps that led the way to the gated entrance of Murano Academy of the Arts, one of the best performing art schools in all of South Korea. He took a deep breath. He wouldn't be doing this unless he really needed to. But of all the jobs he had done before, this was the only one he was unsure about. Why someone would want a third year performing arts student to disappear was unclear. But less questions makes the job easier. And he really needed the money. All he knew is that for the next few months he would be Jeon Jungkook, an aspiring vocalist, aka the new kid in school. His target was Park Jimin, a current student. Jungkook could already see it unfold. He would infiltrate the school and become friends with this Jimin and when the timing was right, he would see to it that the boy was taken out of the picture. Easy. What could go wrong?

He still couldn't believe that he ran into Jimin that very first day. He was… stunning? Jungkook shook his head. He has to complete his job and calling his target stunning was definitely not part of it.

After finishing his inner bickering, he straightened his new navy blue school uniform vest and walked up to the entrance. He went past the gates and into the bustling school. Jungkook hadn't taken too many steps before he was swarmed by people.

"Hello!! Welcome to Murano Academy!! What's your name? Let's be friends!!"

"Wow. You are so handsome! Be my friend?"

"Do you have a girlfriend? Take my number!"

"Are you in the modeling department? Acting?"

"Join the martial arts club!! We are looking for new members!"

Jungkook staggered backwards, completely overwhelmed. This was very different from the seriousness and orderly fashion of the police academy. His eyes scanned around the crowd that surrounded him, trying to find an escape route. In the distance he saw Jimin and two other boys standing against the wall of the adjacent building. Jungkook met his gaze before looking away to focus on his current predicament.

"YAH! Everyone move away, please and thank you! Aish, you all act like he is a different species. Classes will start soon. Off you go, off you go."

The crowd dispersed with some girls giving shy waves and giggling while the guys gave jealous glares. Jungkook looked up to his savior. He was a tall boy with neatly cut black hair. His eyes were almond shaped and his lips were a perfect heart shape. All his features were delicate, but still radiated a handsome vibe. It was as if a flower boy prince had walked right out of a manhwa. He wore the same uniform as everyone else but had a pin attached to his nametag. He wrapped his arm around Jungkook's shoulders, making the brunette twitch at the unexpected contact.

"Ahhhh. This is the last thing I needed, someone to compete for my ranking as most handsome!" He laughed, letting Jungkook go and bowed his head, "Kim Seokjin, fourth year, Student Council Vice President."

Another boy walked over to them. He had none of the delicate features that Seokjin had and his face was more sharp and well defined. His eyes were smaller and held an unwavering seriousness to them. His hair was brown but dyed with some lighter streaks. He had thinner lips but noticeable dimples. Jungkook wondered if being good looking was a criteria to be admitted to this school.

"Namjoon-ah~ I found our new student!" Seokjin exclaimed.

Jungkook bowed his head in greeting and the newcomer did the same.

"I am Kim Namjoon, Student Council President at your service."

Jungkook bowed his head once again in thanks and was already at a complete loss of words. He hadn't even been here for an hour yet and he already felt so lost and out of place. Was it too late to abort the mission?

"Do you know what department you want to go to? We were told you were enrolled in Vocalist department, but I can definitely see you be in Modeling as well!"

Jungkook gave Seokjin a blank stare.

The black haired boy was unaffected. "Fear not! During your first year you get to explore classes in all the departments so you will know what you really enjoy doing."

Jungkook nodded. Seokjin placed his hand on his shoulder again. "Let's go on a quick tour and then I'll show you to your first class."

Jungkook was led towards the courtyard and they passed by Jimin and his friends. Jimin cupped his hands around his mouth and screamed out, "GOOD MORNING, VICE PRESIDENT!!"

Seokjin stopped and turned around to laugh and wave at Jimin. The latter grinned and made a finger heart towards the vice president and then directed his attention to Jungkook, smiling at him and giving him a small wave. His friends laughed, clearly being used to these antics.

"Yah, Jimin-ah, regardless of any charm you better be on time to class. I won't be able to save you from Joon this time!" Seokjin called out before walking away with Jungkook again.

Jungkook looked back at Jimin slightly, but the boy had already turned his back and was joking with his friends.

"Ah is your heart burning~?" Seokjin teased, "Don't get too caught up in the fairy's magic."

"Fairy?"

"That boy is Park Jimin. If I am the most handsome, he is the most charming. He earned the nickname Fairy because he seems to put a spell on everyone he meets. He really is that charming! So be careful, Jungkook-ssi~."

Jungkook nodded absentmindedly. He only half listened to what Seokjin told him about the buildings and history. He was too busy thinking of how someone with a nickname like "fairy" could be dangerous enough to require extraction. He would have to get close to him and find out…

The bell rang,  announcing that classes would soon begin. The President strolled across the courtyard making sure everyone was going to class.

Seokjin walked Jungkook to his first class which was in the acting department and patted his back. "If you ever need anything, please talk to me or Namjoon. In the rare event that you forget my beautiful face, any member of the student council has this pin." He tapped the pin and grinned, "Have a good first day!"

Jungkook took a breath and walked into the classroom. Everyone turned to look at him and immediately the soft hum of many whispers could be heard.

This was going to be a long day.

 


 

Jungkook almost dragged himself to his last class. It wasn't that he was physically tired. His missions usually required a lot of physical endurance and he trained every day. No, this was a whole different type of tired. He wasn't used to being the center of attention all the time. It was emotionally and mentally taxing. Although Jungkook had learned how to suppress some emotions over time, such as too much empathy which would lead to hesitation during a mission, this was a completely different environment that made him feel anxious and nervous in new ways. He hadn't been on the job too long so he hadn't mastered the ability to mask his emotions yet. Plus, his emotions and reactions didn't usually matter because he was often  far from his target and behind the safety of a weapon. Here, he felt vulnerable and exposed even when no one knew his true identity.

He bit the inside of his lip and opened the door, walking into the classroom. Cue all the head turns. Jungkook gulped and wet his lips, trying to not inadvertently make eye contact with anyone. Yes, Jeon Jungkook, a government sponsored assassin, was feeling shy, self conscious, and out of place. What a concept.

He went to the front of the room when the teacher directed him to and gave the speech he had by now memorized and perfected.

"Hello everyone. My name is Jeon Jungkook. My family moved here from Busan a few years ago and I am finally able to be involved in this school. I hope to be a singer someday. I am in your care." He bowed respectfully and the teacher clapped happily.

"How wonderful! You must he nervous moving to a new school so why don't you sit next to Jimin over there? He is also from Busan so you two will get along well! Taehyung you can move to the empty seat next to yours."

It was only then that Jungkook noticed that Jimin was in the class as well. He swallowed nervously as the smaller boy gave him a beaming smile from his seat. The blue haired boy whispered something to Jimin before getting up and moving his things one desk to his right. Jungkook walked over to the now empty desk and sat down, placing his bag at his feet.

"Jeon Jungkook~"

Jungkook felt his skin tingle slightly and he ignored the soft voice and dug through his bag to take out his notebook and pencil.

He flipped open the notebook before being interrupted by another whisper from the same direction.

"Jeon Jungkookkie~"

The undercover assassin almost choked on his own saliva. He turned to look at Jimin incredulously, eyes widened slightly.

He was new here. It hadn't even been a day and this guy was nonchalantly attacking him like this?

"It's nice to meet someone else from Busan!" Jimin said in an excited tone, "I'm Park Jimin, Vocal and Dance department."

Jungkook nodded. "Nice to meet you too."

The room was buzzing with giggles and murmurs as everyone began talking about Jungkook. The teacher called the room to order.

"Everyone will have time to introduce themselves after. For now turn to page 25 in the textbook and…"

Jungkook did as told but soon stopped listening to the teacher's voice. It was kind of hard to focus when the person sitting next to him kept looking over at him. Which wouldn't be hard to ignore unless the guy was also smiling softly every time he looked over. He made the bad decision to look over once to confirm that Jimin really was looking at him. Their eyes met for two seconds and Jungkook quickly looked back to his text, vowing to not look up from the book even if he burned holes through it. He felt his cheeks burn in embarrassment as he heard a soft chuckle from Jimin. Jungkook almost snapped his pencil.

He was a professional assassin tasked with removing the guy sitting next to him. If Jimin knew his real identity, he wouldn't be laughing. He was a government trained assassin and this boy was already making his life difficult. For a moment he even considered just pushing Jimin out the window. He would get the job done and he would stop feeling Jimin's eyes on him.

After what seemed like the longest hour and a half of his life, the class ended. At that point, Jungkook was at his limit.

He slammed his book shut and turned to face Jimin. "Why do you keep looking at me?!"

He immediately pulled his head back, realizing that he had not only lost his temper but also that he had raised his voice against a sunbae. Though Jimin was smaller than him, he was still two years his elder.

The smaller boy didn't seem fazed at all though. He rested his chin on his palm and laughed softly.

"Sorry. I just think you're cute."

. . .

Wait, WHAT?!

No, no no, no.  Jungkook stared blankly. This was most definitely not happening.

IT IS ONLY HIS FIRST DAY!!