Life for a Life: The C.V.S.T.F.

Targeting the Moon

 

 

Jungkook sat down on a cold metal chair, his eyes scanning relentlessly in a futile manner against the dark blindfold. He immediately remembered a police training he had about slipping hands out of a tight knot. He hadn’t even moved his muscle an inch before a hand was placed on his shoulder.

 

“Don’t try anything, son.”

 

Son? Since when were they on familial terms? They literally had just grabbed him outside in plain sight, put him in a car, drove around for five minutes, pulled him out, and now they were who knows where- BUT SON?

 

This felt like one of those bad mafia movies. Those with the members of the gang all referring to themselves like family. What if this was some sort of initiation? If he got out of this alive, he was definitely going to track down Yugyeom.

 

Jungkook hung his head, feeling his neck grow stiff from being so tense. A deep voice suddenly was heard followed by a lighter tone voice. He perked up his head slightly, trying his best to listen to the conversation. They seemed to be arguing.

 

“What is the meaning of this?” Voice 1 hissed, “I told you to bring me the most talented recruit, not some high school kid.”

 

Jungkook frowned, unable to stop his bottom lip from jutting out slightly. For their information he is in his first year of police academy! Uh, was.

 

“I recruited him from Chunseok Police Academy. That kid knows his stuff and has very good skill. We are lucky we caught him off guard because did you even see his build? My intel at Chunseok spoke highly of--”

 

Voice 1 groaned, “Is this some kind of joke to you? You know how much trouble this could cause? If he was so great then why would he work here? Did you tell him everything?”

 

“Well, you see. I was notified of his exceptional talent and I figured he would be perfect for… I didn’t tell him anything. We, um, used some persuasive techniques…”

 

At this point, Jungkook didn’t even fear for his life anymore. Even though he didn’t know what was going on, from the sound of it, the owner of the second voice seemed more likely to get the cut than him. The tension was almost palpable between Voice 1 and 2.

 

Voice 2 spoke again but sounded less confident this time around. “You yourself said you wanted fresher faces because old dogs don’t wanna learn new tricks and are harder to work with…”

 

A moment of silence passed before Voice 1 spoke again in a lower, threatening tone. “You better hope for your own skin that this works out well or it’s you who won’t be getting second chances.”

 

Jungkook straightened up when he head the other people in the room shift as footsteps approached. The door opened and closed after two sets of footsteps were heard entering the room. He swallowed, feeling the anxiety well up in his chest. Maybe he was wrong. Maybe he really was about to die today. He felt the air around him ripple as one of the figures stepped closer. He held his breath and braced himself.

 

All of a sudden, Jungkook was greeted by a bright light from the ceiling light fixtures. He blinked rapidly, trying to get his brown eyes adjusted from having no light to all of a sudden having too much light. He made eye contact with the man in front of him. He was definitely older than him but still young enough to show no obvious signs of aging like deep wrinkles or gray hairs. He had a refined atmosphere to him, wearing a full navy blue suit, a watch worth more than Jungkook’s existence probably, and black dress shoes. His white collar was crisp and his suit even had two silver cuffs.

 

WHAT KIND OF A GANGSTER IS THIS?

 

“I apologize for your very rude treatment. My associates here have really been trying to see how much I will tolerate before I give them the ax.”

 

So this was the owner of Voice 1.

 

The handsome man gave a look to the other person who Jungkook assumed had also walked in. He didn’t look much older than him, but definitely younger than Voice 1. Was he Voice 2?

 

Voice 1 bowed his head slightly, “Allow me to introduce myself. I am Sgt. Lee Minwoo, Supervisor of the Crime and Violence Special Task Force under the Federal Department of Security.”

 

Those around him followed suit and all took out their identifications.

 

What kind of action plot was this? These gangsters were so good that they were even impersonating federal agents! Jungkook couldn’t tell if he was lying or actually telling him the truth. “Lee Minwoo” slipped his hand into his pocket and pulled out his badge and credentials. Jungkook froze slightly. Those looked very real. He wasn’t sure if he should be more scared or less scared. While it seemed he didn’t get kidnapped by criminals, what did these federal agents want with him? He was innocent!

 

His lips trembled slightly as he attempted to speak, “L-Look, there must be a mistake I am not the person you are looking for.”

 

He remembered the piece of paper that had LMW. Lee Min Woo. He debated telling him about it but quickly lost his courage.

 

Voice 2, which really did belong to the younger man, spoke up all of a sudden, “1st ranking in all your classes at the academy and the three prior years of cadet training. Excellent hand combat and dexterity with firearms. There was a rumor that you rarely, if ever, missed your target. And it’s only a little over half of your first year.”

 

Jungkook’s eyes grew wide. How did he…?

 

“We were made aware of your talent by an inside source and wanted to offer you a job.” Voice 2 said.

 

A job?!

 

“Changmin is right. The Crime and Violence Special Task Force, CVSTF, was recently formed as a response to an alarming rise in the levels of organized crime and violence. Our job is to… how should I say it, track down our most wanted criminals and effectively prevent them from stirring more trouble.” Lee Minwoo said while taking out a case from the desk beside him.

 

Jungkook was slowly processing all the information he was being given. He his dry, chapped lips. “How does this effective prevention work?”

 

Lee Minwoo looked at the boy with a dead stare that told him everything he needed to know.

Changmin murmured, “They don’t hire someone with a military trajectory and federal security department for no reason.”

 

Knowing he was probably not going to die anymore, Jungkook gained confidence to start asking more questions. “So you are basically government trained hitmen? Why did you want me? I just got kicked out of the police academy--”

 

“My bad.” Changmin piped in.

 

Lee Minwoo gave a barely noticeable sigh and rubbed his nose. “Government trained hitmen? What do you think soldiers are? Some people are just too dangerous for society. And don’t worry about the academy. If you accept, I will take care of everything and instead of people saying you got expelled, the news will spread that you got promoted to an accelerated program.”

 

Jungkook’s head was spinning. What in the world was happening? It seemed like a very realistic, yet highly improbable dream.

 

The sergeant wrote something on a sheet of paper and handed it to him.

 

“That is how much you’ll get paid minimum per job. Additionally you would receive a smaller living stipend.”

 

Jungkook was dangerously close to testing out if eyes could really pop out of their sockets by how wide his eyes had gotten. He had never seen so many digits separated by commas and not a decimal. He swallowed hard. He had to remind himself of what the job entailed.Although that was a huge sum of money, they were also potentially asking him to kill people. Criminals, sure, but people nonetheless. The brunette bit his cheek inside his mouth. He thought of his mother who was probably at home cooking a meal, ready for him to come home. Regardless of her condition, she never stopped caring for him. It was his turn to care for her and earn the money necessary to pay her surgery. She would surely have a chance then. He would do anything in his power to help her… Life for a life.

 

He had so many questions, so many things to say. None of this made sense really. He had a feeling Changmin had something to do with his sudden expulsion. He was still trying to decide if Lee Minwoo was being honest or not. Looking around the room, it didn’t really seem like a run down gang hideout. It seemed like a normal office unit. He heard the same voice from before in his head.

 

Bad idea.

 

His hands continued trembling as he held the paper in his hands, tracing each number with his gaze. They had gotten him good and they knew that.

 

He should probably think this over. Make a responsible decision and stuff--

 

“I accept.”

 

Lee Minwoo raised an eyebrow. “You do know what this job encompasses right?”

 

Now it was Jungkook’s turn to direct the stern gaze. He had made up his mind. There was no going back now. He was pretty sure that if he had said something else or said no that they would probably would have blackmailed him or found other ways to silence him to not risk being exposed to the news and media.

 

“If you are sure about it then... what is your name?”

 

“Jeon Jungkook.”

 

“If you are sure about it then, Jeon Jungkook, welcome to the Crime and Violence Special Task Force. Your training starts immediately.”

 

---

Sorry for the sort of prologue chapters. Next chapter Jimin and the rest of the boys finally appear!