Target Confirmed

Targeting the Moon

-ONE YEAR LATER-


 

Jungkook pressed flat against the concrete wall. His breathing was calm and steady, not causing any rift in his stance. After peering through a crack to scan his surroundings, he pressed his eye against the eyepiece once again. It’s odd how easily one can get used to things. Jungkook could still easily remember the first day he held this same scope rifle in his hand. He could barely hold it still back then. After relentless physical training and other lessons, he had gotten used to the weight. The weapon fit snugly in his hands and now not even his breath could tip the balance. In times like this with the rifle pressed against his chest, finger firmly on the trigger, and eye looking through the scope, Jungkook had become the weapon itself. Alone, the rifle was harmless. It is the person who uses it who is the real threat.

 

For the past year, he was into this world. He had always dreamed of being a police officer and in a way, he had gained that. While he was out here living the life of an agent from an action film, he couldn’t help but wonder if he should yearn for the more mundane aspects of local police officers. He had never been placed too close to his targets. Other, more experienced, agents were placed nearby if backup were to be needed. He was usually placed farther away since Lee Minwoo and Changmin focused on cultivating his perfect aim. He spent most of his days perfecting his aim at the target field and increasing his physical strength alongside boxing. It had already been a year. To date, he had only been on 5 missions. So far, he had 4 kills. With so much constant training and exposure during missions, he quickly adjusted to the crude reality of the job. It wasn’t that he was okay with people dying at his hand. He was sure that part would still haunt him for the rest of his life once he stopped repressing his emotions.

 

Jungkook didn’t want to kill them. As a police officer, your first duty is to protect the citizens and killing the suspect is the last thing you’d want to do unless there was immediate danger. Or at least it should be. But in this case, there was no last resort. Taking out the target was the main goal from the start. Lee Minwoo’s and the government’s reasoning for this trial task force was that these criminals have extensive nets of influence and can either bribe their way or someone on the outside will take over the operations. Therefore, the solution to the increased crime would be to remove the most dangerous criminals one by one. It had to be done in a manner where it wasn’t obvious or otherwise the press would connect the dots and there would be immediate protests. Had this been another life, Jungkook might be one of the protesters himself. He wanted to believe in the good in people. He still does. But if people are remorselessly extorting others and murdering innocents, then the choice enters a gray area where the good and the bad indiscriminately blend together.

 

Jungkook was just a weapon for the government. But a prized weapon at that. Lee Minwoo and Changmin were thoroughly impressed with his abilities to quickly learn new skills and build on his existing strengths. For now, he would do everything he is told to do. He would do this job until he had enough money to pay for all his mother’s medical expenses and maybe even enough to buy her a nice home so she can comfortably recover without having to worry about work ever again. With the amount he was getting for each job, it wouldn’t be too long. He could only hope, at least. But at least now he had hope again.

 

He tilted the barrel of his rifle to the left, waiting in silence. Suddenly, static was heard from his ear piece.

 

“Tiger spotted. 200 meters from destination. Black Hawk, position ready. 8G6C2M.”

 

Jungkook responded, “Steady.”

 

Their target was a mafia leader who was running an illegal brothel using human trafficking victims who were then exploited, mistreated, and some even killed. He was given the name Tiger for the tattoo of a large tiger he had on his bicep. There were 8 henchmen with him and they were travelling to the illegal brothel, six in a car and two on motorcycles. It was located in the basement of a tech company which was being used as a front. Jungkook had his scope aimed at the alley side entrance. Based on the information gained on Tiger aka Kwan Tae Kyung, they were able to calculate the distance from the floor that would be required to hit the target in a clean shot to the head.

 

“Tiger approaching, 100 meters.”

 

This felt like his last chance to breathe so Jungkook took a deep breath and then let the air escape slowly through his lips.

 

“Target arriving. Fox 1 and 4, standby. Snake 6, wait for signal. Black Hawk, prepare.”

 

Sure enough, a tinted, bullet proof car pulled up into the driveway. A tall, broad shouldered man got out and opened the door for a man he immediately recognized as Tiger. He wore large sunglasses, greying hairs combed back with excessive oil, and a white button up shirt revealing his hairy chest. Snake 2 shot a bullet against the brick wall of the building and there was an immediate reaction amidst the flurry of panic to get Tiger into the building, into safety, while the henchmen located Snake 2. That was enough distraction for Jungkook to focus the crosshairs on his scope.

 

“Target confirmed.”

 

His finger pulled the trigger.

 


 

“This kid is incredible!!” Changmin laughed.

 

The team had gathered for a celebratory meal for another job completed. The only one missing was Lee Minwoo who had a meeting at the federal office. They all sat around a round table with a grill at the center, eating expensive meat selections with plenty side dishes. Jungkook looked down at his food, bowing his head respectfully.

 

He was always wary about being too proud of what he was doing. He knew he was good at what he did, but was always conflicted on whether or not that was a good thing.

 

The brunette took a bite of the galbi he held in his chopsticks. “It really was Taemin sunbae-nim who did the hard work.”

 

Taemin took a bow and grinned, taking a sip of his soju. He wasn’t called snake for no reason. He snuck up on the targets before they could even realize anything was off.

 

Changmin nodded in agreement. “But seriously though, I thought you wouldn’t get this one. He was so close to the door and the henchmen had already opened it and were ushering him in. It was only a couple of seconds but bam! Direct shot.”

 

The chattering continued for another half hour before people started leaving to head home. In the end it was just Jungkook, Taemin, and the other members who participated in the mission left. They all respectfully waited for their payment.

 

Jungkook was last to get paid. Before handing him the envelope, Changmin spoke, “We have really been impressed with your rapid progress. It’s almost as if you were made for this job.”

 

The younger bowed his head and thanked him, wanting to take his pay and leave.

 

“Therefore, we wanted to assign you a special case.”

 

He looked up, slightly confused. Missions usually had a month or two in between for planning and strategic purposes.

 

“You will be paid higher than normal for this task. It is one that only you can carry out for reasons that will be made clear if you choose to accept it.”

 

“The sergeant assigned this to me?”

 

“Do you accept or not?”

 

Jungkook didn’t see why not. He had never gotten a solo mission before but if his superiors were trusting him, and only him, with it, then he wouldn’t be rude to reject it.

 

“I accept.”

 

Changmin handed him his pay and then a manila folder with the task assignment inside. Jungkook sat down at the table and took out the contents. There was a file with the name and all the important information of the target.

 

Park Jimin.

 

He scrunched his eyebrows together when he noticed the birth date. The guy was only two years older than him. Additionally, the purpose for the extraction was left blank.

 

“Sir, this must be a mistake. This person is a student.”

 

Changmin nodded and sat down too. “Don’t let that fool you. The extraction is necessary.”

 

He continued, “The only different thing about this case is that the extraction has to be framed as an accident. It has to seem natural. Anything else would draw too much attention and put the task force at risk.”

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

“Therefore, you will have to enroll in the same school that he attends. That is why only you can do this job since you are actually of college age. You must blend perfectly into the environment and wait for the precise moment that is right. That could take weeks or months. It doesn’t matter, additional compensation will be allocated with reference to time.”

 

Jungkook read through the file, speechless. He would have to go back to school? How could he simply pretend to lead a normal life after all of this??

 

“Because this is a time sensitive mission, if you accept we can head over to the school right now and get you enrolled as a transfer student. I already had Owl 3 hack into the system and mark me as family member with authority to represent you. Plus, you are of age now so it shouldn’t matter too much.”

 

Jungkook nodded. If he did this, with all the extra pay, he would be much closer to leaving this whole thing behind. Much closer to giving his mother the life she deserves.

 

“I accept.”

 

“Perfect. You can read the file at your own convenience, memorize it, and then destroy it as usual. Now let’s go.” Changmin stood up and then eyed him from head to toe, “Actually, we’ll make a stop at the mall first.”

 

“The mall?”

 

“This is a school for the most wealthy and popular. You need to fit in which means you need a new wardrobe.”

 

Jungkook blushed lightly in shame but quickly regained his composure. What is he getting himself into?

 


 

Jungkook straightened his blazer and fixed his tight, black jeans. All the clothes Changmin had bought were still in the trunk of the car. But they were now at the entrance of Murano Academy of the Arts. They walked up all the steps to the entrance but needed to find the attendance office. The receptionist at the main office gave them directions and they followed the signs down the corridors until they found it. They walked in through the door but a dark haired male was talking to the only available staff. He was wearing a vest with school colors, slacks, and dress shoes so he must’ve be a student.

 

“I only missed that one day! The next one I showed up to class, I really did!”

 

His voice was soft and silky like velvet. Was it possible for a guy to have such a nice voice? The guy remained with his back facing them and kept talking with the female staff member, trying to convince her to remove the second absence. Although he wasn’t too overt, his tone was flirty and she was clearly being affected.

 

“If you can bring in some note from the teacher, I will remove it.”

 

The boy nodded eagerly, “Yes! I will bring that tomorrow for sure! Thank you so much for your help! Amazing as always~”

 

He laughed softly and turned around, making eye contact with Jungkook.The boy was smaller than him by a few centimeters but the way he scanned him from head to toe caught Jungkook off guard. Jungkook felt his heart stop as he immediately recognized the familiar face. He looked down at the name on the vest to confirm his suspicions.

 

Jimin gave him a wide grin and bowed respectfully before walking out of the office. Jungkook wet his lips as Changmin went forward to arrange his enrollment. He stretched his neck to see if he could still see the other boy in the distance.

 

Park Jimin.

 

Target confirmed.