Not Waking Up Alone

Left Alone

Irene felt groggy, her head felt as heavy as a bowling ball, she opens her eye, which felt like they were burning from the exposed sunlight coming through the window. Irene groaned and tried to cover her hand to shadow the sun. She saw a little silhouette jump in surprise and run out the room. 

 

'who the f$%k was that?' Irene thought to herself confused about why someone was in her hotel room which she booked for herself. Irene slowly sat up a looked towards the door, she saw the little figure again, her head was slightly covered she was hiding behind the door frame. 

 

Irene couldn't put a finger on were she recognise the little face from. But she was still slightly drunk. 

 

"what are you doing here?" Irene asked a little angrily, making the little girl shrink into herself and run away. "HEY!" 

 

Irene attempted to get up off the bed but feel onto the floor. She groaned in pain her head spinning, She scrunched her eyes feeling her head throbbing, She heard against the floor a little patter of foot steps. She open one eye to. see a little pair of feet. 

 

"a...are...y..you ok?" The little irl asked in a little hushed voice. 

 

"Yes" Irene said loudly

 

"shh.....you'll wake up mommy" The little girl said thing with her finger and pointing at the other bed. 

 

Irene looked at the girl confused and got up to look over at the other bed where a single figure slept under the white covers. Her brown hair flowed out the top of the sheets. Irene continued to look around the room she then noticed she wasn't in her room. there were two beds instead of one, and a tv that played children cartoons, she looked down at the little girl and her big browns eyes finally matched in her brain. 

 

"Your Minjin?" 

 

The little girl nodded still sitting on the floor. "and your mommy's friend or something?" Minjin asked moving form the floor to the bed Irene slept in. 

 

Irene sighed and sat next to the girl, "something like that." Irene rubbed her eyes and when she looked up she turned to look at Minjin who just stared at Irene. 'She does look like Wendy, her brown hair cut low just at her shoulders. But eyes where different, which is why I couldn't recognise her.' 

 

"So how old are you?" Irene asked trying to hold in a burp. 

 

"Five" The little girl said holding up only four finger. Irene giggle too herself. She moved to put on the other finger. 

 

"so how do you know mommy?" Minjin asked looking in-between Irene and Wendy. 

 

"She didn't tell you?"

 

"No mommy never really talks about before she had me.....I don't want to keep asking, she always looks sad whenever I bring it up,....so I try not ask" 

 

Irene didn't know what to say, was it really her place to tell Wendys daughter about before. Irene just puts on a smile. "Maybe she should tell you" 

 

Minjin just stared at Irene making her a little bit embarrassed. "What?" 

 

"You just so pretty." 

 

"haha....not as pretty as I used to be....."

 

"Really?" 

 

"Yes, but thank you, no one really calls me pretty anymore." Irene looked towards Wendy's sleeping figure that moved over slightly.  "Do you ant to see ?" 

 

Minjin nodded excitedly. Irene chuckled and got out her phone, opening up a special album on her photos, when she was young in red velvet.

 

"Ohhhh" Minjin exclaimed scrolling through the photos. Irene smiled as she watched through the memory of before. 

 

"that's mommy?" 

 

"hmm?"

 

"she with you" Minjin showed Irene, a photo of her and Wendy. They were holding each other in their arms both smiling, Wendy was showing everyone her gummy smile 'she was so happy then'. Whilst Irene noticed her smile was still shy. She remembers why, she was slightly embarrassed that Wendy was holding her so romantically, but she was also afraid that everyone around her was watching them. 

 

"She looks so young and happy"  Minjin said smiling at the photo her smile so similar to Wendy's 

 

"Yeah I guess she does" 

 

"who are you calling old?" Minjin and Irene jump when Wendy quickly sits up wide awake. She lunges for Minjin and grabs in her arms, falling next to Irene. Minjin laughed as she received her tickle punishment. " You say I look too old huh?" 

 

"no....hahah...no no mommy" Minjin said snuggling through the laugh. Irene smiled at the sight of the two, something in her heart made her chest feel warm. It's what she wanted for over ten years, but she knew she wasn't meant to be here. 

 

Wendy stooped smiling at Minjin who was out of breath. Irene noticed Wendy's smile falter when she remembered Irene was sat next to them. 

 

"Morning" she said a bit forcefully, Irene suspected she was only being civil because Minjin was laying next to them. 

 

"Good morning" Irene said shyly. Wendy frowned and picked Minjin up, Irene also stood, not really knowing what to do with herself.

 

"Little on please go watch Cartoons in the other room."

 

"Ok" Wendy kissed Minjin head and lightly dropped her off, the little girl ran out the room.

 

Irene stood there awkwardly next to the bed. Wendy still had her back turned to Irene, Wendy closed the door. Irene began to get nervous last time she talked alone with Wendy it didn't end well for her.

 

Wendy slowly turned around her face neutral showing no emotion. Irene took this time to look at Wendy and compared to the old picture Minjin looked at, Wendy hadn't age much, her face looked slightly more mature, but her eyes still entranced Irene. 

 

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

 

"Huh" Irene said out of surprise of Wendy's monotone voice.

 

"You turn up here last night drunk, what if you hurt Minjin?"

 

"I..I.. wouldn't"

 

"Hmph I was awake before you, I know you did'nt recognise her. Your drunk probably still thinks we are fine like ten years ago. 

 

"Excuse me I didn't know who's room I was in."

 

"well that's your fault for being drunk." Wendy said angrily stepping forward to Irene.

 

"and why did you show Minjin photos."

 

"She wanted to see them. I thought it was better than actually telling her."

 

Wendy pouted a little making Irene smirk. 

"Beside I always say yes to you"

 

Wendy glared at Irene slightly confused "what do you mean?"

 

"Minjin she looks very much like you."

 

" yeah it's funny since she's adopted"

 

Irene’s eyes widened “oh yeah”

 

The two just stared at each other for a while. Irene was happy just to see her eyes again. 

 

But the sound of the door opening brought the twos attention back to reality.

 

 

“Mommy there’s a man asking for you?”

 

“Ok”

 

Wendy and Irene followed Minjin to the door of the hotel room to see a man dressed in black he looked serious and big scary. Which explains why Minjin hid behind Wendy.

 

 

“Miss Wendy and ah...miss Irene you a to be at practise at 11:30. I’ll will be your driver Miss Wendy. So I’ll be waiting down stairs. Uh good morning to you two.”

The man bowed and left.

 

Wendy closed the door and turned around to see a fidgety Irene. Wendy knee she was uncomfortable like she used to get before.

 

“You better go”

 

Irene didn’t look at Wendy nor Minjin as she quickly nodded and left the room.

 

Minjin ran out too and shouted “bye Irene”

Wendy pokes her head the door to see Irene freeze before walking off again.

 

Wendy sighed “come little one time to get dressed”

 

Minjin nodded a little sad Irene didn’t day goodbye, and Wendy was honest with herself she was a little sad to see her go. 

 

 

Only a little