Five Weeks of Roses

Fluffy Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was one of these calm mornings. The flat was silent. Too silent for Joohyun. The place next to her was empty and cold. Seulgi must have been up since a while already. Today was the first March, it was a Friday. Joohyun stood up, she had to get ready to work. She reached the main room, yawning. She blinked a few times to adjust her eyes with the sudden light.

“Seul…?” But there was no answer.

Joohyun took a cup and poured herself a coffee. She was about to grab food for breakfast, but something on the table caught her attention. She put her cup down. She rubbed her eyes, checking that she wasn’t dreaming. It was a single orange rose. She took it and noticed a little note.

Did you know that a single rose means love at first sight and orange roses mean the desire? You’re gorgeous.

I love you, Joohyun.

Only yours, Seulgi

 

Joohyun was smiling when she read this. How sweet, she thought. Today wasn’t a special day, though. She wondered what got into her lovely girlfriend. But indeed, she was happy. It explained why Seulgi wasn’t with her in bed and went to work that early.

Seulgi loved her job. It was her passion, after all. It wasn’t Joohyun’s case. Of course, Joohyun liked her job but working into a business company wasn’t that exciting. She didn’t see herself quitting to do something. What would be ‘something else’ anyway? Joohyun didn’t have any hidden skill like Seulgi with her drawings. But anyway, it was time to get to work.

The rose stayed stuck in her mind. Joohyun recalled the first time she saw Seulgi. They had a common friend, Sooyoung. Currently, Sooyoung was Yerim’s girlfriend. And Yerim was Joohyun’s younger sister. It was during one of Sooyoung’s birthday party. Seulgi and Joohyun were both invited. Joohyun wasn’t the type to go to a party, but she would never have missed one of her friends’.

 

// Flashback //

Joohyun was talking with Chaeyoung, one of her close friend. They were having a small talk about Chaeyoung’s new restaurant. How proud she was about the Black & Pink. Joohyun took a sip of that cheap alcohol. It didn’t taste anything special, just the orange juice she mixed with it to make it more passable.

A girl passed next to her. Joohyun couldn’t help but stare at that girl’s back. She was wearing a crop top, one of her shoulders was showing. The raven-haired girl could make out a tattoo. It was a red rose. The girl stopped a few meters from her, she was talking with Sooyoung.

“That’s Seulgi.”

The name clicked in Joohyun’s head. Seulgi was Sooyoung best friend.

“Come on.” Chaeyoung dragged Joohyun towards her other two friends. She had noticed how her older friend looked stuck at the view of the blonde girl. “Hi, Soo, hi Seul.”

“Hey, girls.” Sooyoung smiled. “Joohyun, that blonde idiot is Seulgi. Seulgi, that gorgeous woman is Joohyun.” She winked at the older woman who immediately went red.

“Nice to meet you, Seulgi. I’ve heard a lot about you.” Joohyun awkwardly said, but Seulgi didn’t really notice, and she just smiled.

“Good things, I hope. And nice to meet you too. Sooyoung wasn’t lying.” Seulgi mumbled the last part, but it was enough for Chaeyoung to hear.

“Great. Now that you know each other, I have some alcohol to drink.” The pink-blonde haired girl exclaimed, grabbing Sooyoung’s arm in the process.

They talked during the whole party. It was nice. The awkwardness was quickly washed away. And they ended up exchanging numbers.

// Flashback end //

 

When Joohyun reached home, Seulgi was waiting for her. The younger girl engulfed her in a warm hug. It was unusual, but the raven enjoyed it without saying anything.

“I missed you.” Seulgi mumbled, pulling away from the embrace. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m good. How was your day?” Joohyun asked and removed her jacket before being dragged towards the couch by her lover. “And I missed you too.”

“It was nice. Sooyoung visited.” Seulgi remained quiet for a second. “She has troubles with Yerim.”

Joohyun raised an eyebrow, taking the younger’s hand with hers. “Troubles?”

“Yeah… About Yerim cheating.”

Joohyun froze for a while. Yerim hadn’t called her or anything. She knew how her little sister loved Sooyoung. Even though Joohyun knew her sister, she wasn’t in Yerim’s mind. But still, it wasn’t her type. Joohyun didn’t think that the younger was able to cheat on her girlfriend. Seulgi cleared , interrupting Joohyun’s thoughts.

“Sorry.”

“It’s nothing.” The older pecked her girl’s lips gently. “Thank you for the rose.”

“You liked it?” Seulgi grinned happily, and Joohyun nodded.

The raven-haired girl came closer to the younger, putting her head on her shoulder. She released a sigh and felt Seulgi’s hand in her hair.

“Tired?”

“Kinda.” Joohyun mumbled before capturing the tattoo artist’s lips with hers. “You drank tea?” She frowned and an evident blush appeared on the bear’s cheeks. “You can’t drink tea that late. I don’t want you to spend your night turning over in bed.”

“Sorry.” Seulgi slightly pouted, gazing at her girl.

Joohyun was gorgeous. There was no other word to describe her. Perfect. Perfect could fit too, Seulgi thought.

“Are you listening?” Joohyun snapped, fuming at her girl’s behaviour. But Seulgi only smirked.

“I was busy admiring your beauty.” She whispered and didn’t let the raven any time to answer that was already on Joohyun’s.

The raven broke the kiss, trying to glare at her girlfriend but she was too flustered to be taken seriously by the latter.

“You’re not-“ Seulgi kissed her cheek. “Playing-” Seulgi kissed her nose. “Fair.” Seulgi pecked her lips. “You’re an idiot.” Joohyun mumbled while Seulgi giggled.

“I’m your idiot.”

“You are. And I don’t share.” Joohyun spoke with a teasing voice. She wanted to stand up, but the arms around her body stopped her. “S-Seulgi.”

“Possessive, hm?” The younger pulled Joohyun closer until there was nothing between their bodies.

“Why are you so clingy? Did you do something wrong?” Joohyun asked, making her girlfriend look at her by holding her cheeks.

“You seem tired these days. I wanted to make you happy.” Seulgi admitted. She was unable to meet the raven’s eyes.

“I’m tired, not unhappy.” Seulgi slowly nodded.

Joohyun was not tired. She was exhausted. Her boss made her work so much that she felt like dying under all those documents. He made her overwork and came back home later than she should have been. She found Seulgi adorable for having that kind of attention. But the older didn’t want her to force herself doing things like that.

 

Today was the second Friday of March. As the last Friday, Seulgi woke up early. She quickly grabbed her clothes that she had prepared the day before and went out of the bedroom without making any sounds. She didn’t take time to have breakfast, she’d took it at Wendy’s. Once she was dressed, she left her home. Her first stop this morning was the flower shop. She already knew what she was going to buy today. Two yellow roses. She also bought a card to write a little note.

People who offer two roses to ask for forgiveness. Yellow roses can mean a deep friendship or a mistake. I’m sorry for the mistakes I have done. For the times I hurt you and I made you cry. I’m sorry.

I love you, Joohyun.

Only yours, Seulgi

Even though Seulgi didn’t make any mistakes lately, she had by the past. Especially the day she thought she just had destroyed her couple and her girlfriend’s heart.

 

// Flashback //

It was sunny. The kind of day you want to spend walking around with the one you love. It was what Joohyun thought when she woke up. How wrong she was. Seulgi wasn’t there. She slept outside that night. She was at Krystal’s party. Of course, Joohyun let her go. Krystal was Seulgi’s ex. But the raven trusted the younger girl with her whole heart. They already had been together for a bit more than a year.

Joohyun knew that Seulgi wasn’t going to be home before a while. She decided to spend her day with Jennie, her best friend. They went to the mall, did some shopping.  It was nice. Then, Joohyun received a text from an unknown number. It was a picture of Krystal and Seulgi. In the same bed.

“You okay?” Jennie asked when she noticed the frown on her friend’s face.

“Yeah. Nothing important.” Joohyun quickly faked a smile. She wanted to trust Seulgi, but right now, she was hurt. She didn’t want to jump to a conclusion, she needed to talk with her girlfriend. “I will go home.”

Jennie didn’t say anything about the older’s weird behaviour. That text was, in fact, important. She knew Joohyun would talk to her when she would be ready.

When Joohyun reached her flat, Seulgi was already there. The younger woman was standing up, leaning against the sofa. Her arms crossed and a sharp frown on her face.

“Where were you?” Seulgi immediately asked when Joohyun stepped in the room.

“With Jennie-” But the raven couldn’t add anything else that Seulgi was already yelling at her.

“Again? Don’t you think you both are going out too much lately? Are you hiding something? Are you cheating on me, Joohyun?” The older chuckled bitterly. It was so ironical. “Why are you ing laughing? Do you think I’m having fun right now?”

“Seriously, Seul? Jennie is my best friend. She had been for years. But look, she is taken, I’m taken. And you dare to be mad for this. I let you go to Krystal’s party, knowing she is your ex and she still has feelings for you. And you, you are shouting at me because I was out with my friend, looking for your birthday’s present?”

Seulgi had never seen Joohyun so mad before. The shorter girl couldn’t stop her tears from falling, her voice broken, and her lips trembling.

“What Krystal-“ What Krystal has to do with this? She wanted to ask. But Seulgi was a fool. Joohyun pulled her phone out of her pocket. She put it in front of Seulgi’s face. She was so mad that the tears were clouding her vision. Seulgi gasped, frozen.

“See? Are you sure you should doubt me?”

“Joohyun, listen-“

“Shut up. off, Seulgi. I want you out of that flat, right ing now.” Joohyun yelled, her legs felt like jelly.

The older woman walked away in her bedroom, but Seulgi caught her wrist to try to make her listen to her. She didn’t expect Joohyun to slap her. But she did. Joohyun gave a hard slap in the face. The younger let go of her wrist and watched Joohyun sobbing.

Seulgi hadn’t cheated on Joohyun. She wanted to tell her, but the older was too mad for being able to have a proper talk. It was Seulgi’s fault, after all. She was a fool to trust Krystal and not Joohyun. She shouldn’t have yelled without hearing Joohyun out. She shouldn’t have been so childish. She left the flat.

// Flashback end //

 

They had to wait two weeks and a lot of tears to get back together. Seulgi explained and apologised, she felt so guilty. Seulgi had to trust Joohyun, and she did. Joohyun never apologised for her words, but she did for the slap. Seulgi’s cheek was so red when she reached Sooyoung’s home that night. Sooyoung, the good friend she was, firstly made of fun of Seulgi’s face, and then, she let her stay for the two weeks.

After dropping the flowers off at her home, Seulgi headed to her workplace. She didn’t have a lot of customers that day, so she spent most of her time drawing, working on new things. She had texted Joohyun to ask her out for lunch, but the older girl said she had to finish her assignment.

The end of the day came quickly. Seulgi was busy at the back shop. She was tidying stuff and cleaning her drawing desk. But the door’s bell rang, disturbing Seulgi’s work. She came out from the back only to find a short raven-haired girl, standing in front of her with a big smile on the face.

“Hyun?”

“Hi. I finished work early today. I came to pick you. Is that okay?” Joohyun asked with a quiet voice as if she was afraid of waking up someone.

“Of course!” Seulgi answered, a bit too enthusiast that made her girl chuckling.

The younger walked to the door to turn the sign to ‘Closed’. Joohyun stayed unmoving until Seulgi started heading to the back to collect her things. Joohyun sort of rushed to the younger, wrapping her arms around Seulgi’s stomach from behind, the raven’s face buried in her back.

“Thank you for the flowers. I love you so much.” Joohyun mumbled, and she felt Seulgi turning around, so she released a bit her grip.

“I love you too.” The younger girl spoke in a caring tone. She took Joohyun’s cheeks in her hands, cupping them slowly. She put a slight kiss on the older’s lips.

“Is there anything special?” Seulgi paused a few seconds before answering her girl’s question.

“Maybe?” Joohyun pouted, her hands still on the younger’s waist. “You will see.”

“Fine.” The raven pulled away and let the other took her things.

Joohyun was curious. She knew that today’s flowers weren’t because she looked tired or anything. Seulgi seemed to have an idea in her mind, but the older couldn’t tell what.

“Do you have your car?” The bear asked, taking her leather jacket.

“I parked it at home. I wanted to walk home with you.”  

They walked home together, hand in hand.

 

The third Friday of March, Joohyun was almost not surprised to see the bouquet of roses on the table, but still excited about it. It was white roses. One of Joohyun’s favourite. Of course, she loved the others, but white as a touch of purity that made her heart melt. She took a look at the note.

My feelings are sincere. That is what these 9 white roses are telling you. I will stay forever by your side.

I love you, Joohyun.

Only yours, Seulgi

 

Sincerity. Joohyun smiled. I love you. Three words but so powerful. The first time she let Seulgi heard these words coming from , it wasn’t romantic like in the movie. It wasn’t under the rain or after a passionate love-making. It was unplanned.

 

// Flashback //

They had been together for more than two months. Joohyun was fully aware of these feelings in her chest, but she was scared to say it. One day, that day, it slipped out of , out of control.

Joohyun was cooking a red velvet cake. Seulgi was here, drawing. The taller decided to get up and girlfriend. But the food lover ended up eating the pastry in the bowl. Joohyun glared at her, and she mumbled an audible ‘sorry’. Seulgi bit her lips. Indeed she was ready to keep teasing the older woman.

“Hyun.” Joohyun turned around to look at her bear, but she felt a finger on her cheek.

“Seulgi!” The older frowned but her eyes widened when she noticed the flour on the other’s hand. “What are you-“ But another white finger on her nose cut her sentence. “You should-” And Seulgi’s thumb tracing her lips.

Joohyun , tasting the flour. And she smiled. It was so bright that Seulgi’s heart melted at sight. The older woman went back to her cooking, not facing her girl anymore, before speaking.

“You’re lucky that I love you.” And they froze.

Joohyun meant it, but she didn’t mean to say it. Or at least, she would have liked to tell it in another way. Seulgi blinked a few times. She took some seconds to process what just had happened. She wasn’t upset. She was happy, so happy. So, she smiled and wrapped her arms around her raven’s stomach. She kissed the older’s cheeks, right on the flour. Then, she let her chin rest on Joohyun’s shoulder.

“I love you too, Bae Joohyun.”

// Flashback end //

 

A ringtone interrupted Joohyun’s sweet memory. She hurried to answer her phone.

‘Miss Bae, we have an unexpected meeting, in twenty minutes, with our collaborators from Japan.’

Joohyun mentally cursed at the news. She had to dress up quickly and to skip breakfast.

“Fine. I will be there in ten minutes.” She grumbled before hanging up.

The raven rushed to her bathroom, grabbing her clothes in her bedroom before. Once she was done, she took her bag and was ready to leave.

But the door was being opened when Joohyun reached it. She remained unable to move for some seconds, surprised by what just happened.

“Hyun? You’re already leaving?” Seulgi spoke in a disappointed tone.

“I got a call, I have an unplanned meeting.” The older woman answered, stepping closer to her bear. “What are you doing here?”

“I forgot a bunch of drawings.” Seulgi admitted and scratching her nape with embarrassment.

Joohyun chuckled at her girlfriend. Seulgi always had her head in the clouds. It wasn’t the first that kind of things happened. She tended to forget things, to lose her focus, to fall in her own thoughts really easily. Joohyun found it adorable.

“I really need to go.” The raven-haired girl said with an apologetic voice before giving a chaste kiss on Seulgi’s lips. She switched their positions, so she was facing the flat’s door. “I love you.”

“Love you too.” Seulgi was unable to hide the big smile on her lips. She was ready to go in, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her.

“Could you put the roses in the water, please?” Joohyun asked, a slight pout on her face. The younger girl nodded. “Thank you.” The shorted captured her lips one more time. “I love you!”  She grinned, and Seulgi blinked twice, her voice stuck on .

It suddenly hit her. She loved Joohyun so much, she wanted to stay with her forever. She already knew it, but now, she realised how it felt. She loved her so much that sometimes she felt like suffocating.

“Are you going to stay here all day?” Sooyoung’s voice suddenly snapped.

“Sorry. I got emotional.” And Sooyoung chuckled.

“I know you’re madly in love with her. You know, I’m impressed you still feel like the first day even after two year

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter