Our Promise

Fluffy Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seulgi kept staring at the shop window like a kid in front of a candy shop. She chewed her bottom lip, thinking. There was something in her mind for the past days. And she was lost about it. She didn’t know what to do.

Today, she decided to meet up with Seungwan. She was sure that her friend could help her. At first, she thought about asking Sooyoung for advice, but regarding the younger’s relationship with Yerim, she wasn’t the right person.

Seulgi finally detached her gaze from the store and reached Seungwan’s café. The Canadian was here, sitting at a table when Seulgi walked in. They immediately smiled at each other and greeted with a quick hug.

“Are you sure it’s fine?” Seulgi asked, referring to Seungwan’s job.

“Wendy’s is my café, you know?” The Canadian chuckled before adding something. “Sakura can take care of the order without me. And I’m not far anyway.”

“Good.” Seulgi’s eyes landed on the cup of tea in front of her. “Is that caramel tea?”

“It is. I made your favourite.” The blonde smiled. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

Seulgi carefully drank a sip of the delicious tea. She let out a sigh, gathering her thoughts.

“It’s about Joohyun.” The tattoo artist started with a heavy tone. “I want… I want to do something, but I’m afraid to do wrong.” Seungwan frowned.

“Tell me in details.” She spoke while Seulgi was still avoiding her eyes.

“Okay, but you don’t interrupt.” Seungwan nodded. “I want to give promise rings to Joohyun. I’m happy the way I am with Joohyun. And I want… You know, to stay with her forever. I want it to be just a promise between us.” Seulgi chuckled bitterly. “That sounds so stupid. Sorry, it’s silly. I mean, why would she accept those rings?”  

“Because she loves you and that’s very sweet of you?” Seungwan deadpanned, meeting Seulgi’s panicked gaze. “Seul. Joohyun loves you. She wants the same thing, she wants to be with you forever. You two are so perfect together. There is no way she will turn you down. I’m pretty sure she will even cry.”

Seulgi spaced out a few minutes after Seungwan’s speech. The Canadian cleared the table, a smile on her lips.

Maybe Seungwan was right. Joohyun loved her. It wasn’t as silly as Seulgi thought. It was important. Maybe. Maybe she would be fine. Seulgi rubbed her face, sighing. She really wanted to do it. And she was going to. Now, she just had to do it well.

 

Joohyun was home when she finally decided to call her girlfriend. It was around six in the afternoon, and the bear was still outside.

‘Hey, Hyun.’

“Hi, baby. When are you coming home?” Joohyun asked, her finger playing with the fabric of the cushion next to her.

‘Why? Do you miss me?’ Seulgi teased the older woman.

“Of course I do. But we have a dinner with Mister Ahn tonight.” The raven-haired girl answered and cleared .

The call was silent for some seconds.

‘, I forgot. I’ll be home soon. Sorry, Hyun.’ Joohyun chuckled at her kind of panicked girlfriend.

“See you soon then.” And she hung up.

 

Seulgi rushed home. She greeted her girlfriend with a kiss and jumped in the shower. Joohyun helped her to do her make-up.

“Aren’t we going to be late?” Seulgi asked, casting a glance at her phone for the hundred times.

“We’re okay. And stop moving, Seul.” Joohyun let out a chuckle when the blonde girl pouted. “You look more nervous than me.”

“We’re going to have dinner with your ex-boss.”

“And his wife, his daughter and her friend.” The raven-haired girl added with a playful voice. “Done.” She kissed her bear’s lips gently. “It’s just dinner. You don’t have to be nervous. Everything will be fine, we will spend a nice time there, hm?” She finished tidying the make-up things, and Seulgi slowly nodded.

Joohyun was right. But Seulgi couldn’t help it. There was nothing to do with a business meeting. Mister Ahn wanted to see Joohyun again, they got along well at work. What could go wrong after all?

 

Mister Ahn’s house was worthy of the CFO he was. Seulgi and Joohyun were greeted by his wife. Inside, Mister Ahn was waiting for them, a smile on his lips. He called his daughter, and it was followed by footsteps coming from upstairs. A young and tall woman appeared. Next to her was standing a familiar face for Seulgi. The blonde girl smiled, recognising the owner of the florist shop.

“Good evening. I’m Ahn Yujin. Nice to finally meet you, Miss Bae.”  The young girl, who was around twenty, greeted with a bow.

Joohyun’s face went red, she suddenly felt old. Seulgi couldn’t hide a giggle at Yujin’s behaviour.

“Please, call me Joohyun. Nice to meet you too.” Yujin bit her lips, evidently embarrassed.

“I’m Kang Seulgi. Nice to meet you.” Seulgi and Minjoo shared a look which wasn’t unnoticed by the younger woman.

“You know each other?”

“She went to the shop every week in March to buy roses.” Minjoo answered, and Joohyun smiled at the florist. “I’m glad to meet her girlfriend. I’m Kim Minjoo.”

“Your flowers were beautiful.” Joohyun added in a quiet tone.

“I guess we can sit down to dinner now that the introductions have been made.” Mister Ahn interrupted the casual talk.

Seulgi noticed how Yujin and Minjoo acted, she found it amusing. She though the two girls were dating. She was sure, in fact. But of course, she wasn’t going to ask. It would be impolite. Deep down, she hoped to have the truth behind their close-but-not-too-much behaviours.

“I learnt that you left the company.” Mister Ahn started a talk.

“Ah, yes. I’m working in a food truck now.” Joohyun cleared .

“I see, I see. I guess you like cooking, then?” The raven nodded. “It’s nice to do something you like. What about you, Seulgi?”

The blonde girl raised her head towards Mister Ahn.

“I’m a tattoo artist.” The old man blinked a few times.

“Do you have your own shop?” And Seulgi nodded. “I see. My daughter is still studying. Right, Yujin?”

“Y-Yes. I’m studying laws.”

“And well, as you know, her friend is holding a flowers shop.”

Seulgi and Joohyun shared an amused look at the mention of the word ‘friend’. The talk went a bit silent until Minjoo broke it.

“Since when are you together?” She asked the couple, and Yujin cleared awkwardly.

“A bit more than two years.” Joohyun answered with a smile on her lips.

Seulgi opened to talk but immediately closed it. She looked at Minjoo, who raised an eyebrow, and finally, she asked.

“And you two?”

Mister Ahn choked on his drink, and Yujin almost dropped her fork. Joohyun turned her head to Seulgi, an unreadable look on her face.

“W-We’re not together.” Yujin almost yelled, and Minjoo sighed, disappointed.

“Yujin.” Her father called. “Don’t you think it’s time to stop lying?”

Seulgi chuckled when Yujin’s eyes widened. Minjoo smiled at the old woman who was reassuringly watching her.

“I’m sure your girlfriend is hurt by your coward behaviour.”

“I’m sorry, dad.” The younger woman dropped her head a bit. She sighed and stood up, making Minjoo frown. “Minjoo and I have been dating for four months, and I love her very much.” She cleared and sat down, her girlfriend trying to hide the evident blush on her cheeks.

“You should be proud of who you are, Yujin. Especially when you have supportive parents.” Seulgi spoke in a serious, something broke in Joohyun’s chest. Yujin nodded.

 

They got home late. It was around midnight. The next day was Sunday, they didn’t have work. Indeed, they had a nice evening. Yujin and Minjoo were lovely. Joohyun was glad to see Mister Ahn again.

Seulgi immediately crashed on the couch after removing her shoes and her jacket.

“The Ahns are really nice.” She mumbled, her face buried in the cushion. “I pulled Yujin out of the closet, right?” Joohyun giggled at her question.

“I’m afraid you did. But I’m sure you’re proud of it.” Seulgi grinned and laid down on her back, her head resting on Joohyun’s laps.

The raven Seulgi’s face with one hand. Seulgi closed her eyes and relaxed with the touches. She sighed.

“Do you think she is proud of me?” The younger woman asked, her voice almost shaking.

Joohyun’s face turned sad. She knew who Seulgi was referring to. Her mother. She died when Seulgi was seventeen. Cancer. Seulgi missed her mother. She left when Seulgi needed her the most, just a few months before she was kicked out of the house by her own father.

 

// Flashback //

Seulgi took another deep breath. She walked into the living room. Her father was here, reading some important documents.

“Dad. I need to tell you something.” He put the papers down and looked at his daughter. “I’m gay.”

Seulgi had thought of many ways to say it. ‘I like girls.’, ‘I don’t like boys.’. Why did she say that one? No reason. It sounded clear, and she liked this word. It was who she was, and she wanted to be proud. Seulgi wasn’t stupid, she knew it would be hard.

“What do you mean?” And there, she knew her father wouldn’t accept her.

“I like girls. I’m lesbian.” Seulgi never thought she would have to define what gay meant.  

“It will pass.” Her father said, putting his head on his documents again.

“No. You don’t understand. It’s not a phase. It’s who I am.” She insisted.

She was looking for troubles. She wanted him to understand. She needed him to acknowledge who she was.

It was difficult for Seulgi at first. More than she let it know. She was lost, she was looking for herself. And when she found it, she took a year to admit it to herself. She was scared. Scared of being rejected mostly. But who she was scared her. She had always been open-minded. And she never thought it could be that hard. She felt something was wrong with her.

And one day, everything changed. Seulgi talked to her mother. She told her. She was not as straightforward as with her father. Her mother’s words were the thing she needed to hear. She said: ‘You’re my daughter no matter what, no matter who you love. I want you to be happy. It what matters the most to me as a mother. You know society isn’t open-minded, and you will have hard times. You will lose friends. But I want you to stand for who you are, to be proud of yourself. You are strong, Seulgi. You will find a woman to make you happy, and you will cherish her. And, when I will meet her. She will be like my daughter. I will love you both and support you even if the world hates you.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter