C15

nine point eight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Afternoon finds Mino at the facility's front gate to fetch Seunghoon after getting informed that Seunghoon's rut has ended. Taking a bus wasn't an option because the facility is located far from the city, so Mino took an Uber.

 

An expensive ride, but whatever. Seunghoon is like a brother to him, after all.

 

The facility reeks of Alphas. Not in terms of scent as their nose no longer picks up on that—something that has to do with their genetic genes evolving to simpler needs. Except for Omegas in heat since their pheromones make the scent stronger.

 

No. It's how they carry themselves. Speak volume about confidence and the combat skills they acquired over the years. It makes Mino walk down the hallway with his head bowed, aware of his status as a regular Alpha.

 

After registering as a visitor, he's made to wait in the waiting area. Mino slides his bag to the front and sits down on a chair. The cushion is worn out, bursting at the seams. Mino picks at the fibre, bored.

 

His phone vibrates. Three texts from Seungyoon.

 

From Seungyoon: at the cafe. jinu-hyung is at the counter

 

From Seungyoon: he seems down. i'm worried about him

 

From Seungyoon: should I do something to make everything better?

 

Mino smiles, touched by Seungyoon's eagerness to ease the atmosphere. His sweet, sweet boyfriend. His heart does a flip-flop at the thought of them being a real couple. Not just an upfront to keep people off their back.

 

But, really, nothing needs to be done here. It's always been like this every time Seunghoon gets discharged from the facility—the tension in the air, radiated from Jinu as he broods in silence.

 

buy me Americano, please, Mino sends instead. Then adds to abate Seungyoon's worries, don't worry about jinu-hyung. he'll be alright. Because behind that effeminate face hides a heart of steel.

 

It takes Seungyoon a few minutes to reply, okay. text me when you're done

 

okay.

 

"Hey," a gruff voice greets him, and Mino's eyes snap up, only to see Seunghoon walking towards him. Mino quickly sweeps a glance over Seunghoon.

 

A tired smile, dark circles under his eyes, slightly sunken cheeks, messy hair, even 5 o'clock shadow is visible. His steps are heavy as though he's carrying an invisible burden on his shoulders. He's wearing the same outfit when they first brought him in—a grey T-shirt with a faded pair of black jeans and sneakers.

 

Holy , Mino winces. Seunghoon is a picture of exhaustion and weariness. Like he went through a crazy roller-coaster ride—he probably did.

 

"Here." Mino shoves his bag into Seunghoon's arms. "Clothes. You look like ."

 

Seunghoon blinks. Maybe still in confusion, busy processing everything. From the ty incident, which led him to this facility, only to be riding his rut under the supervision of strangers, to this sudden sense of freedom.

 

Yes, it would make anyone with a sane mind confused getting thrown into a rapid hole ride.

 

Mino urges him into action by pushing him to the nearest restroom.

 

It doesn't take Seunghoon long to change his clothes while Mino finds another Uber to drive them home. They get a nice car this time, Mino sighs, relieved. Fewer things to stress about.

 

The ride is quiet. Seunghoon goes through his emails on his phone after borrowing Mino's power bank. Mino shoots a text to Seungyoon's number then focuses on the changing scenery. If he concentrates hard enough, he can feel the engine rumbling under his shoes as the car zooms into the city.

 

"How's... Jinu-hyung?" Seunghoon breaks the heavy silence. "Is he okay? I remember seeing blood on his head."

 

"He's okay," Mino answers.

 

"Really?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Not serious?"

 

"Five stitches. But it's okay."

 

"Oh." Seunghoon looks away at the window. Mino can't read him like this. When Mino thinks Seunghoon has dropped it, he asks, "Seungyoon?"

 

"Seungyoon is fine."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yeah, he's cool. Don't worry."

 

"Okay," and the end of the conversation.

 

Instead of heading straight for the apartment, Mino sets their destination at the cafe. At the corner of his eye, Mino catches Seunghoon's throat bobbing, his eyes shaky. A sign of nervousness. And can understand Seunghoon's internal conflict.

 

"Let's go, hyung." Mino pats Seunghoon's back to encourage him. Seunghoon cracks a small smile.

 

Seungyoon texted him earlier that Jinu-hyung has moved to the back. Outside, the weather is cold and gloomy. The clouds hang low—it'll rain tonight. Mino leads Seunghoon to the alleyway, hands in the pockets warding off cold.

 

Then.

 

Seunghoon freezes.

 

Mino follows Seunghoon's line of sight and sees—ah, Jinu-hyung. Ahead of them, carrying a box with both arms is Jinu, wide-eyed and mouth gaping open.

 

Feeling like an intruder, an intimate moment between them, between Jinu and Seunghoon, Mino backs away. Not too far that he loses sight of them, just enough that they can't feel his presence.

 

Jinu is the one to move first. Puts down the box on the ground. Takes one step forward. His shoulders are slouched, and he's leaning on his left foot. The light dapples on his face, making him more ethereal, but the traces of the incident linger.

 

That tired gaze. That shadow in his eyes.

 

And Jinu pulls Seunghoon into his arms. Wraps him tight like he's going to disappear. Like—

 

Seunghoon returns the hug. Though, slowly. Unsure. Uncertain, as though he feels like he doesn't have the right to touch Jinu after what happened. Like he's done a crime. Like he's sinned, and he doesn't want to taint Jinu with his sins.

 

When Jinu doesn't flinch away, still in his arms, eyes fluttering closed, then only he dares to bury his nose in Jinu's hair. Dares to close his eyes. Dares to cherish this.

 

Mino leaves.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter