C02

nine point eight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Weekends mean more humans. Working part-time means dealing with humans.

 

Working on weekends means dealing with more humans, even more so when you're working part-time at a restaurant.

 

Mino doesn't dislike it. Really. He likes to assume it as a learning experience, a place to find inspiration for his current and future projects. As much as he finds humans sometimes annoying, their quirks and habits are worth looking into.

 

It's also a perfect time to understand the Alpha, Beta, and Omega dynamics better, and studying their interactions is the easiest way to understand them.

 

As Mino takes an order at the booth in a corner, he takes note of how the female Omega (her black collar is a dead giveaway) lowers her eyes when her male Alpha rattles off their order. Mino doesn't take that to heart. It's considered rude for an Omega to break the eye contact with an Alpha (a sign of acknowledging the Alpha's authority) once it's made, so it's better to keep it minimal in the first place.

 

Well, Kang Seungyoon didn't seem to care about that, his brain supplies as Mino repeats the order for clarification with an obligated smile. Weird kid.

 

He hurries to the buzzing kitchen after, passing the paper to Sunho-hyung, their chef, and saying, "Table 17." Mino gives a quick scan around the restaurant as Sunho-hyung skims over the paper then adds, "I'm gonna take a smoke break."

 

"Sure," Sunho-hyung answers distractedly.

 

Permission obtained, Mino rushes out to the back door, a pack of cigarette secured in his hand. Temporary freedom, ey!

 

In the back alley, Mino nods at a shopkeeper working next door, broom in hand. He's a Beta, Mino recalls, a hard-working Beta.

 

Betas are the luckiest dynamic among the three, Mino thinks. They make up most of the population. They're fortunate not to be tied to the basic instincts; protection, mating, damned pheromones. No ruts. No heats. The most stable dynamic.

 

Sometimes Mino wishes he was a Beta, especially during ruts. Contrary to popular belief, ruts aren't fun. They're annoying. Painful. Reduce him to a mindless Alpha who only has needs to and mate. Often make him feel like crawling out of his sweaty skin. Feral becomes the second nature, lashing out at people who dare to enter his territory.

 

He wonders how Omegas feel during heats. Or how Kang Seungyoon feels during heats—

 

...uh. What the , brain. How the hell his thoughts reached there?

 

Mino takes a long drag of his cheap cigarette, feeling the burning sensation in his chest. Yeah, it must be because Kang Seungyoon is a male Omega. A rarity. Like female Alphas.

 

Hah, Mino scoffs, it's funny how society considers male Omegas as a genetic fault and female Alphas as a rare gift. 

 

While female Alphas are lacking strength compared to male Alphas, they compensate with prominent authority. Stronger presence. A perfect balance between rational and emotional thoughts. Almost perfect. That's why most female Alphas become important figures in their later lives despite their small number.

 

Oh, right. The clashing authorities between male and female Alphas. Maybe that's the reason why he and Lisa are always at each other's throat.

 

"Ey, Mino-oppa~!"

 

Urgh, speaking of the witch...

 

Mino watches as Lisa skips over towards him, with a smirk on her face. He makes a face. "What the hell are you doing here?"

 

"Looking for you. Sunho-oppa said you're taking a smoke break, so here I am." Lisa jumps to the side to avoid the pile of boxes. It's a real wonder how she can maintain her balance with those pointy boots.

 

"And he let you walk into the kitchen?"

 

"Unlike a loser like you, oppa, I have an irresistible charm." She shoots a wink, complete with a gesture of pointing guns. Mino slaps the invisible star out of pure reflex.

 

"Piss off," he says without heat.

 

Lisa isn't deterred by that. "Professor sent his regards."

 

Uh oh. That doesn't sound good.

 

"He also wondered when you're gonna show up next week," she continues, with a (damn her) sly smirk on her face.

 

Mino chokes on smoke. Yep, definitely not good. He coughs to clear his throat. "Uh, maybe... never?"

 

"C'mon, you've been putting off this project for far way too long, oppa. The professor is getting anxious." Lisa frowns disapprovingly.  "You have so much at stake here; grades, better portfolio, gallery showcase. Your reputation, oppa. Try not to waste this one away, okay?"

 

Urgh, no. Depressing topic. 

 

Mino takes another long drag to distract himself. She's faster to snatch the cigarette away. 'Hey' is on the tip on his tongue, thick with Alpha authority to tell her off, but the look on her face stops him.

 

No, not her Alpha look. Just pure understanding. And a slight disappointment.

 

Ah, this is why he doesn't like Lisa. Not because she's a female Alpha. No. It's because she understands him way too much as a fellow artist.

 

"I'll think about it," he mutters, a hand on his nape. Then Mino glares, "Gimme my cigarette back. I intend not to waste that away."

 

"Geez, smoking isn't good for your lungs, oppa," she chides but gives his cigarette back anyway. Then she fishes her phone out of her pocket. "Hey, hey, if you don't have inspiration, come check my girl's Insta out. You might get an idea or two."

 

Mino scrolls down the account. Oh, Jennie, the famous female Omega from the music department. Cute, funny, y. Once considered a queen, all men vying for her attention until Lisa came and swept her off her feet.

 

No attempt was made ever since because Lisa is too ing scary, even for an Alpha.

 

"She's a cutie. I approve." Mino whistles playfully.

 

"Piss off, oppa." Lisa's glare is sharp and deathly. Mino pulls a -eating grin.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter