C14

nine point eight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

When Mino wakes up the next morning, it's to a gentle shake of a hand on his shoulder. He blinks the sleep away from his eyes, once, twice, then rubs with the heel of his palm when it doesn't go away.

 

"...What," he slurs, heavy with sleep.

 

"I need to go, but I hate to sneak out on you," a voice says. "Work."

 

Mino squints his eyes at the person before recognition settles in—oh, it's Jiho. He sniffles once, hand flailing around to tap blindly on Jiho's upper arm.

 

"Ye—yeah. Sure, sure. Uh. Thanks for, uhm... I can't think."

 

An amused chuckle from Jiho. "Yeah, Yoon was right. You're useless in the morning."

 

Wait, what. Was that an insult? His brain can't decipher it. "Mornings. Dead brain cells," Mino manages.

 

"Wow. Exaggeration." Then Jiho says, "Take care of Yoon for me, okay? Don't molest him in sleep."

 

"...Who?"

 

His ears perk up at the name, followed by a quick snap of his head. And wow, yes, Mino finally understands Jiho's words. It's Seungyoon sleeping next to him, face tucked in his pulse, dead to the world. How could he not register Seungyoon's weight is beyond Mino's brain capability.

 

In the morning, no less.

 

Since he can't really think at the moment, all his brain can come up with is, "Yea, yea. Sure."

 

Jiho leaves after that sleepy goodbye. Mino squints at the white curtains, illuminated by the sunlight from outside. Hears Seungyoon's light snores. And finds the sound soothing.

 

Too soothing that Mino sleeps again.

 

...

 

The second time he wakes up, it's to faint laughter from the living room. Mino blinks once, twice then snatches his phone from the bedside table—a force of habit developed from living in the 21st century.

 

Uh oh. It's almost noon. Time to face the day, then.

 

Exhausted, Mino sits up despite the fog of drowsiness in his brain. He looks around, yawning, only to realize the absence of Seungyoon. Uh, he wonders if Seungyoon has gone home.

 

A part of him is disappointed at the thought.

 

With a groan, Mino rolls out of bed. He still can hear snippets of conversation outside. Faint, but it's there. Mino goes to the door and opens it, poking his head out.

 

Oh. Jinu and Seungyoon. At the dining table. Laughing over breakfast.

 

Jinu still has the gauze around his forehead. Seungyoon is still in his yesterday clothes. Mino can even see the makeshift collar around Seungyoon's neck.

 

The torn-sleeve from his shirt. Worn-out. Dirty around the edges.

 

Nonetheless, warmth spills in Mino's chest.

 

"Good morning." Seungyoon notices his presence first. A smile lights up his face. "Or should I say, good afternoon?"

 

Mino stumbles out of the room sleepily. He scratches the whorl of his head. "Not before coffee, please."

 

"Here. Your coffee." Jinu s a coffee across the table. On cue, Mino snatches it and downs it one go.

 

... Heaven.

 

The acidity floods his tongue just the way Mino loves it. Sharp and pleasant, kicking his brain online, and a pleased moan sneaks past his lips, eyes fluttering closed as a smile lifts up his cheeks.

 

When Mino cracks open his eyes, it's to Seungyoon's rapid blinks and Jinu's straight look. Mino blinks owlishly. "What."

 

"You should be filming a o," Seungyoon says, munching on a slice of bread. Jinu spreads peanut butter on another slice, sharp eyes on them.

 

He isn't sure if that was a compliment, but well—Mino preens, anyway. He smirks, sitting down on a chair, next to Seungyoon. "Would you watch it?"

 

"I don't know." Seungyoon plays along. With a smirk of his own. And a twinkle of mischief in his eyes. "Is it a free video? Shared with the public? Or mine only to watch?"

 

"Geez. I could give you a private show if you ask nicely."

 

"No, thank you," Jinu interrupts suddenly, utterly fed up with them. He rips the bread off his teeth with a vengeance. "My head is fine, by the way, in case you're wondering."

 

It occurs to him. Mino asks. "Hyung, have you taken your meds? Did you sleep okay last night?"

 

"Seungyoon's pheromones helped." A smile returns to Jinu's face. He reaches over to pat Seungyoon on the upper arm. "Reminded me of my hometown. Thanks so much, Seungyoon. I know it took you a lot of courage to do that considering I'm not your mate."

 

Seungyoon shakes his head. He twiddles with his own drink on the table.

 

"It's nothing. You got injured because you tried to tell those guys off for harassing me. This is the least I could do. I still feel bad that it got Seunghoon-hyung sent to the facility."

 

The guilt in Seungyoon's tone urges Mino to soothe him. And he does just that—looping an arm around Seungyoon's shoulder and pulling him close. On the table, Jinu places a gentle hand over Seungyoon's.

 

"Not your fault," Jinu assures him.

 

Seungyoon searches into Jinu's eyes. Then, "Yeah."

 

Though, that bitter smile remains on Seungyoon's lips.

 

"So!" Mino tries to lighten up the gloomy mood. "Plan. What's your plan today?"

 

"Told my manager about my injury. He told me to take a day off. I suppose I'm going to spend the whole day watching dramas," Jinu answers, reclining on the chair. "Or maybe I should call the facility to check on Seunghoon. Not sure if they would tell me anything, though."

 

Right. Jinu has no right to find out since they have no registered relationship. Well, screw it, Mino is gonna make sure that Jinu stays updated until Seunghoon is discharged.

 

"You? No class today?" Mino asks Seungyoon.

 

"That..." Seungyoon scratches the skin under the makeshift collar. "I think I'm gonna skip today. Do you think it's okay for me to stay here until Jiho-hyung comes home?"

 

"We don't mind having you here, but skipping classes? You okay? Are you feeling sick? Hospital. Mino, you should get Seungyoon checked up." Jinu leans closer, concerned.

 

"No, no," Seungyoon denies. "I'm okay. It's just, uhm, my collar—I can't go anywhere like this. I need to get my collar fixed first. And... uhm I need a company to go to the shop. Because it's uhm..."

 

Seungyoon doesn't finish his words, gaze lowered. Mino doesn't press because he understands—it's related to the Omega instincts. Something proper to protect their scent gland.

 

"I can go with you," Mino offers in a heartbeat. While stuffing his face with bread.

 

"Pardon?" Seungyoon looks surprised.

 

"I can go with you. You need a company—I can go."

 

"How about class?" Jinu asks.

 

"I already skipped the morning class. Doesn't really matter if I skip the rest of the day," Mino waves dismissively.

 

"Ah, you're the type that 'skip one class, skip the rest,'" Seungyoon concludes. His hand quickly slaps Mino's wandering hand away from his bread. "Not my bread, you thief."

 

"Hush you. Don't expose me like that." Then Mino asks Jinu, blowing on the back of his palm, "But that would mean that Jinu-hyung stays at home alone. Would you be okay, or do you want to come with us?"

 

"Nah, the meds are going to make me all woozy. Best I stay at home."

 

"But hyung," Seungyoon frowns.

 

"Don't worry, I can take care of myself. Go with Mino. Get your collar fixed first then you can worry about me, okay?" Jinu assures him.

 

Despite himself, Seungyoon acquiesces.

 

After a bath, Jinu offers him his pants since they share a similar size. Mino lends him a shirt and cardigan. Slightly oversized since Mino loves baggy shirts, but they look good on Seungyoon.

 

Hands almost hidden in sleeves, oversized clothes, soft colors—it makes Seungyoon appear younger. Innocent. Vulnerable. Someone precious to be protected at all cost.

 

Mino's heart squeezes.

 

"What is it? Something on my face?" Seungyoon asks, gullible as he fixes the makeshift collar around his neck.

 

"Nothing." Mino looks away, flustered.

 

The city is thronged with people and vehicles as they rush to their respective workplace after the lunch break. Seungyoon seems to be affected by the incident; lowered gaze, heavy steps.

 

Shifty looks are sent in their directions. At Seungyoon. At the makeshift collar. Mino can't help but release a low growl. He stays himself close with Seungyoon.

 

Seungyoon brings him to a little shop, tucked in a deserted alley. The shop looks quaint—wooden walls, a rusty sign board, an old door that requires a little tug to get it open. Mino has to duck his head to get inside.

 

Inside the shop, it is poorly illuminated by the sunlight. Mino squints to adjust to the dimness. The musky scent fills the shop.

 

A variety of collars is displayed on the shelves. Leather. Cotton. Lace. Metal. Some have ribbons. Some have bells on it. Some have names engraved on it. Fancy. Beautiful.

 

The owner of the shop is an old man. Cropped haircut, small eyes, a double chin, 5 o'clock shadow. He has a pair of glasses perched on the bridge of his nose.

 

"Aboeji," Seungyoon says. Warm. The old man looks up from his current project on the wooden table, illuminated by a small spotlight. A slight smile graces his wrinkled eyes.

 

"Hey, kid. Been a while."

 

"Aboeji? Your dad?" Mino asks, bewildered. Seungyoon never talks about his father.

 

"Nope. He's Mooseung-sunbaenim. Most call him 'Aboeji' though," Seungyoon explains. "Probably because he always screams at his customers."

 

"You young people are too careless. Take things lightly," the old man grouses. He wipes his hands on the apron tied around his belly. "And you are? Alphas usually don't come here."

 

Mino accepts the handshake. His hand feels small in the man's firm grip. "Minho. Song Minho. I'm, uh—"

 

"Seungyoon's Alpha boyfriend? I should have guessed. Jiho talks a lot about you."

 

"Really?"

 

"Aish, Aboeji—" Seungyoon attempts to cut in.

 

The man doesn't care; he carries on, "Saying that you're gonna corrupt the kid or something. Should protect him from you. Funny. It's not like Seungyoon is really innocent. He has a mischievous side too."

 

"I don't know whether I should feel insulted or not." Mino raises a suspicious brow at Seungyoon. In response, Seungyoon looks away. As though the clock on the wall interests him.

 

"What brought you here? And what the hell with that collar?" The man lowers his glasses to have a better look at the makeshift collar. "Why are you not wearing a proper collar? Geez, youngsters, I swear, always take things lightly—"

 

"Actually, that's the reason why we are here." Seungyoon tugs at the makeshift collar. "My collar—uh, it got ripped apart. I'm still wearing it, but only this cloth keeps it together. For now."

 

"What? What happened? Show me—" Realizing Mino is still around, the man glares. "Do you mind?"

 

Mino blinks. "Pardon?"

 

"I need to take a look at his collar. That being said, he has to remove it. You shouldn't be here since you're an Alpha."

 

Seungyoon looks conflicted. "Aboeji, he can stay—"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter