C16

nine point eight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

His sister, Song Danah, is a classy Beta. Long, silky hair. Easy smiles. Bright eyes. A woman with a fiery spirit. Always rises to challenges regardless of the risks.

 

So much so that people often mistake her as an Alpha. Even Mino himself couldn't fathom the logic behind the secondary gender. Not when she fits all the typical Alpha descriptions.

 

(Mino still remembers how she mocked him when he rode his first rut. 

 

"Weakling," she said, with a smirk around her red bean bread before she walked away from the rutting room.

 

Annoyed but helpless, Mino could only groan his dissatisfaction into the bedding. And promised he'd pay it back when she had her first rut.

 

Only to have his plan fired back because she ended up presenting as a Beta instead. Urgh, ty luck. Imagine his frustration.)

 

A woman with a mischievous mind—of course, Mino would be freaking out when she dropped the bomb. And when he freaks out, he vents it out on anyone who happens to be available. And that person happens to be his best friend, Pyo Jihoon.

 

"I can't—" Mino creases his brows into a deep frown, so anxious that he can't stop himself from pacing back and forth in his cramped room. "We're talking about Danah here. You know how she is, right?"

 

"Yes, I know, Mino. I know," Jihoon says on a sigh on the other end of the phone line, "She ing kicked my just because I said her cookies tasted weird."

 

"Dude, we don't talk about her cookies," Mino warns.

 

Jihoon is quiet at first. Then, after a minute of contemplation, "Okay. We don't talk about her cookies."

 

"Cool."

 

"That reminds me." Jihoon attempts to return to their topic. "Are you serious with him?"

 

"Who?" Mino cradles the phone with his shoulder, busy checking on his sunflower gifted by Seungyoon last night. It looks so pretty. Healthy. Puts a smile on Mino's face.

 

"The Omega, Kang Seungyoon."

 

Mino frowns. He leaves the flower alone on the window sill going back to bed. "Yeah. Why?"

 

"I respect your decision, really, but that guy—he's an Omega. People are gonna talk—"

 

"And what of it?" Mino shoots back. Best friends or not, disrespecting Seungyoon like that, just because of the stigma the society created, Mino can't tolerate that. 

 

"No, no, hear me out," Jihoon says, "Sure I imagine he'd be a great guy if you liked him to that extent. But people are gonna talk about your relationship for a long time. Even if your family accepted him as your mate, people wouldn't stop talking about you two. Are you sure you can handle them all? Are you sure Kang Seungyoon would be able to take their criticisms in the long run?"

 

He's quiet for a second, because, there's a truth in Jihoon's words. They aren't living in a perfect world. No, they're living in a world where everyone has their own voices and opinions. His relationship with Kang Seungyoon won't be smooth sailing—happens to any relationship Omega are involved in, really, and Mino knows this.

 

But still.

 

He loves Seungyoon so, so much. His smile, his wit, even the twinkle in Seungyoon's eyes when he radiates happiness—Mino can't let those go. Not when he's had the taste of them, sweet and addictive.

 

"Are you gonna be like them?" Mino questions back, his tone firm and serious.

 

"No, Mino, God forbid—" A sigh is heard coming from Jihoon. He clarifies again, "No, I won't be like them. I promise. You're my best friend for over 10 years, I wouldn't ditch you just because people can't agree with your love life."

 

"Okay. Cool. That's all I need to know from you."

 

"Are we cool now?"

 

"Yeah, we're cool." Mino grins back even though Jihoon can't see him. He rolls on the bed, pleased. Yea, best friend forever. Maybe he should introduce Jihoon to Seungyoon one day. 

 

"Hey, Mino, don't you worry about Danah," Jihoon assures him. "One thing I know about her is that she's a Song. Your family isn't the type that discriminates people. Remember your dad whipped your because you said mean things to your classmate?"

 

"I was young."

 

"You were dumb."

 

"Young."

 

"Too dumb to realize that you did something dumb."

 

"Why the are we still friends?" Mino heaves a sigh.

 

"Because our frequencies match." And Mino can imagine Jihoon wiggling his brow. That's something he'd definitely do when being a smartass.

 

" you." Mino barks a laugh, without heat. "Hey, Jihoon."

 

"What."

 

"Thanks," he says sincerely. From the bottom of his heart. It feels good to have someone so understanding in his friend circle.

 

"Being all mushy now, aren't we—"

 

And Mino clicks the line dead. Urgh, cringe. Yea, he loves Jihoon, but urgh, not like that. On second thought, introducing Jihoon to Seungyoon is probably a bad idea.

 

The sound of the opening door has Mino sitting up on the bed. In the doorway, Seunghoon pokes his head in. "I heard Danah is coming over this weekend."

 

Mino can feel his soul leaving his body at that reminder. "Yeah."

 

"Relax." Seunghoon reaches over to give him a pat on Mino's shoulder. "She's just your sister. She won't bite you."

 

"Because she knows she's my sister that she'll bite me." Mino lay back, tired. Tired of planning a scheme so his sister won't meet Seungyoon. He'd never live it down if Danah revealed all the embarrassing stories from his childhood to Seungyoon.

 

"No worries, Mino. We've got you covered. I'll distract her with my awesome cooking and Jinu-hyung will entertain her." Seunghoon winks.

 

The one that looks playful to Mino, and for some reason, Mino can't buy his words. He squints, sceptical, "Really."

 

"Trust your hyungs." Seunghoon shoves a thumb to his own chest, with a smug look.

 

"My guts tell me 'don't'."

 

"Hush you. Hyung is a very trustworthy person," Seunghoon says, "Well, I'm here to remind you that the dinner this weekend is on 8. Tell Danah and Seungyoon that. Make sure they dress up well. It's lobster~!"

 

Mino wrinkles his nose. "We aren't even eating out."

 

"It's lobsterrrrrrrrrr...." Seunghoon repeats, and then dramatically leaves the room. Like a Miss Universe. 

 

Huh.


 

...


 

Thursday morning class finds Mino coming late again. Upon arriving, he's lucky the lecturer hasn't shown up. He spots Seungyoon at his usual seat at the back, talking to Jaebum. 

 

Then he notices familiar faces circling Seunghoon.

 

Ah right, the group project, from the early semester. Seungyoon is in Jaebum's group while he's with Seunghoon. Mino makes his way to his own group for discussion.

 

The discussion is relatively pleasant, led by Chanhyuk-hyung. Sure Mino has to redo some parts, but that's his own fault for not reading the guidelines properly.

 

A quick glance at Seungyoon's table, he sees Seungyoon alone, hunched over his notes. Ah, Jaebum has returned to his own group. Laughing like without a care in the world. 

 

(Though, Mino catches the guilty gaze Jaebum throws in Seungyoon's direction while no one is aware.) 

 

Mino arches a brow. Why isn't Seungyoon with his group?

 

The lecturer breezes in. Everyone scatters back to their own seat. Mino gestures at Seunghoon that he's going to join Seungyoon at the back with his pointing finger. Seunghoon simply smirks in return.

 

"Hey." Mino slides into the seat next to Seungyoon.

 

"Hey," Seungyoon replies distractedly, hands swiftly arranging his notes on the table, ready for the lesson.

 

The ever hardworking one. It puts a smile on Mino's face.

 

"You're in Jaebum's group, right? Why weren't you sitting with them?" Mino asks, his tone lowered as not to get caught by the lecturer.

 

"I'm an Omega."

 

A sigh escapes Mino. He's aware of the stigma haunting Seungyoon's life, but that can't be the sole reason. They can't stoop so low as to ditch Seungyoon because of his secondary gender.

 

As if he can read Mino's mind, Seungyoon interrupts his thoughts, "Not everyone is as open as you and your pack. I'm lucky Jaebum was considerate enough to invite me into his group for this project. I can't push my luck."

 

With a bitter smile. The one that has Mino's chest clenched. 

 

Unable to find words, Mino links their fingers under the table, squeezing Seungyoon's hand tight, so Seungyoon knows he's always by his side. That he won't give in to the social pressure.

 

Mino doesn't have to see to know a soft smile grazing Seungyoon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter