Part III

Still There

"Momo, I'd like you to join the national dance competition that will be held in two months."

 

That's what Hirai Momo's dance teacher said once she sat on the chair in front of the woman's desk. Momo was surprised at the teacher's offer that she didn't know what to say. Sensing that Momo was still in a state of shock and processing all of her words, the teacher continued,

 

"The champion will get a cash prize and scholarship in a prestigious dance school in America."

 

Momo eyes grew bigger and her jaw dropped in the revelation. That was hell-a of a prize. She could travel on the other side of the world, on top of that, learn and meet the best dancers and choreographers. But, competing in a national event isMomo hasn't tried it before, and she knows how unnerving it was. She's not sure if she can do this. The worry added up, when she realized she only has two months to prepare for the said contest.

 

Momo was pulled from her trail of thoughts when Ms. Lee spoke.

 

"Momo, you are the best student in all of my classes combined and I don't want you to waste it in our country. People like you meant to showcase their talent world-wide."


Momo was out of words to say. She's grateful that the teacher acknowledged her skills in dancing. Momo's mind was clouded with the thoughts of her dreams, unfulfilled promises, her friends… and Mina.

Momo bit her lower lip before she slowly nodded her head, "I'll do it."

Ms. Lee smiled, her pearly-white teeth are showing, "I'm glad. Don't worry, I will help you with the preparation." She reached for Momo's hand for a shake of hand before dismissing her.

Momo, who was in a daze, stood from her seat and walked to the door. She looked back to Ms. Lee when the woman called her.

Ms. Lee had a warm smile in her face, and said, "This is just the start, Momo."

Momo reminisced as she listened to what Ms. Lee is saying. Two contestants before her turn, and she'll be up there on the stage, performing what she had prepared for two months, the training she had under Ms. Lee will pay off.

A knock on the door interrupted Ms. Lee's talk about courage, and they both whipped their head to the direction of the sound. Momo's dressing room door's creaked then a head of a grinning brunette popped out. Momo smiled seeing her friend's gummy smile.

"Hi, Ms. Lee. Hi, Momo," Mina greeted in her soft voice, smile still lingered on her face albeit flustered upon seeing Ms. Lee, who looked like she's in the middle of talking, "I'm sorry for the sudden interruption," Mina apologized when the teacher just stares at her, not knowing what to do. Momo only snickered, trying her best to stifle her laugh at sight of the shy penguin.

"No, it's fine, Myoui," The teacher smiled as she stands up. "I'm about to go anyway." Ms. Lee then turned to Momo, "Remember what I said to you."

Momo nodded, standing up as she bowed her head. Mina, who finally let herself in, also bowed to Ms. Lee as the teacher bid them goodbye.

The door clicked. Silence occurred to them after the teacher left. Momo sat back down to the couch, leaned back and rest her head. She stared at the ceiling, then sighed heavily. Mina who heard this, sat beside her and took Momo's hand to hers, massaging it.

"Are you nervous?" Mina softly asked. She looked at Momo's facial feature. There was a crease between her eyebrows and Mina knew, more than anyone, that Momo was beyond nervous. Momo was always like this whenever she's going to perform in front of hundreds or thousands of people. Momo then turned to face her. Mina could see the girl's anxiety building up by the look in her eyes and Mina, more than anything, wanted that to disappear.

"I'm afraid I will fail them," Momo said quietly. Now looking back up the ceiling finding it more interesting than the person beside her. Thinking all the consequences for losing this competition, she was beginning to lose confidence again. Thinking about the people who supported her - Ms. Lee, her family, friends. Momo slumped her shoulder feeling the weigh of pressure getting heavier.

Then another series of knock pulled Momo out of her trance, and the door opened revealing a guy with a headphone resting on his neck. He jabbed his thumb on the direction of the main stage along with "Hirai Momo, please prepare, you'll be the next to perform."

From the outside, Momo could hear people screaming, cheering and chanting. Momo's feature paled, her stomach did a flip and she felt like throwing up. Her heart hammered against her chest, breathing became frantic. Momo began shaking.

Mina, who witnessed all these, immediately took Momo's hands on hers, and looked at the crew, who was still standing at the doorway, concern was evident on his face. Mina nodded her head, showing her polite smile to him as the crew gently close the door behind them.

"Momo."

Momo's eyes were unfocused, looking everywhere her eyes will land on.

"Momo, look at me."

Momo's visions blurry with the tears forming on her eyes. Mina lifted her hands to hold Momo's shoulder. She could feel the other girl's body shaking in her grasp.

"Look me in the eye, Momo."

Momo's line of sight fell to Mina, still shaken, as the younger clasped her hands to Momo's cheeks forcing the older to look to Mina's eyes. Chocolate meets dark brown orbs. Momo seemed to be drowned on Mina's, like a black hole pulling her in and there's no way to get out.

Mina felt Momo's anxiety attack subsided. She softly smiled at the girl, showing Momo's favorite smile of hers ― the serene gummy smile that could light up the whole world and bring peace to earth, according to Momo, eyes shining like diamonds. Momo eventually calmed down, blinking her tears away just as Mina caressed her cheeks with her thumb.

"Momoring, look at me," Mina's gaze were soft and warm, Momo felt her heart skipped a beat as soon as she focused on Mina, "Listen. Whatever might happen, you'll always be the champion for me. You are the best dancer I've ever known my entire life, I know how you work hard for this," Mina continued her ministration, now bringing her fingers to Momo's blonde locks, "Now, all I want you to do is enjoy yourself out there. Showing all of them what Hirai Momo can do." Mina finished her speech with putting Momo's locks behind the older's ear.

Momo stared at the red head girl, who was staring back at her. Seeing her smile didn't falter in the ballerina's face, the blonde mirrored her. They're like there, standing in the middle of the room, looking at each other while smiling like an idiot. The two Japanese didn't even realized that the crew came back until they heard a cough.

Momo and Mina jumped away from each other, both missing the warmth of the other's, as if they were caught doing something they shouldn't. Momo could feel her face heat up in embarrassment. She glanced at Mina, who's face was in a darker shades of red. Momo would laugh her off if she was not on the same situation as her bestfriend.

"We need you backstage, Hirai, you'll be up next," The crew informed after clearing his throat.

Momo held Mina's hands, the younger reciprocated the action by intertwining their fingers. They walked out of the dressing room with Momo leaving all of her worries in the four-cornered room.

The two girls split their way when they reached the backstage with Mina going back to where the audience are to watch Momo dance, but not before Mina pulled Momo in a tight a hug wishing her good luck, saying, "I'm not asking you to do your best, but that would be nice if you do so, cause you're already the best. So, enjoy your performance, Momoring. Fighting!"

Momo heard the emcee, once again, announced the contestant's name, the spectators applauded in response.

Momo closed her eyes. She inhaled deeply before releasing the nervousness in her system. She heard the emcee announced her name as the cheers and applause erupted the whole dome, giving Momo goosebumps all over her body.

Momo had decided.

I will do my best. Fighting, self.

For the person who gives her inspiration.

This is for you, Mitang.

--

 

All the students that Momo crossed or passed by congratulate her for winning the national dance competition. Momo felt warm inside, the whole school even made a congratulatory program just for her, welcoming her with banners ― 'Congratulations!' written in all capitals placed on the upper with a huge picture of her on the below the word and her name written in, she didn't know what font, and 'CHAMPION - NATIONAL DANCE COMPETITION' in once again in all capital letters, a little smaller than her names, under the photo. Bouquets of flowers were handed to her (Momo actually didn't know how to carry all of them).

 

Her friends from dance club prepared an intermission number. Of course, the end was like how it started, the principal's speech and all the students get back to their respective classes. She had a fun, but…

 

"These are unnecessary. Really," Momo blurted after thanking another student, giving her usual smile. She massaged each of her jaws with her both hands, making a pouty face in the process.

 

"You should just be grateful," Sana deadpanned. Smiling to the other students who looked at their ― her ― way.

 

Momo turned to the grey haired girl, who's smiling beautifully to the students, feigning hurt. Putting her hand on top of her chest, she retorts, "I am grateful, Satang. It's just that… I'm getting too much exposure," she trailed off.

 

The grey haired and the teal haired girl threw a pit of laughter. Only stopping when they saw Ms. Lee walking towards them. The three friends greet the teacher, bowing at the same time.

 

"Hi, girls. I know you're going to have your lunch break together, but would you mind if I borrow Momo a bit?"

 

Momo, Sana and Jeongyeon looked at each other before Sana and Jeong nodded while subtly pushing Momo.

 

"Thank you. I'm so sorry. This will be quick, so you, girls can still enjoy lunch with your other friends," Ms. Lee smiled apologetically, knowing that the three has big circle of friends.

 

"Oh, Ms. Lee. We're still having fun even without Momo," The blue haired joked that made the raccoon looking girl to pout, earning a laugh from the other three. Ms. Lee excused themselves before turning on her heels. Momo whispered-yell to the other two to get her jokbal for lunch which the two girls responded with a snicker. The blonde groaned before she run to catch up to Ms. Lee, leaving them to ushered Momo by the eyes, following the blonde's every movement, laughing again when Momo tripped herself from running.

 

"Where is Momo going?"

 

Sana and Jeongyeon jumped at the sudden voice intrusion, interrupting their laughing session to the unsuspected blonde. They turned to the owner of the voice, only to see Mina with their other friends. Jeongyeon's eyebrows up, surprised to see that the penguin was alone. Sana, on the other hand, had her face lit up as she smiled wide, pulling the younger on her arms.

 

"Oh, Mina. I missed you," Sana purred on Mina's ear. The younger hugged her back, giggling, "I missed you too."

 

Sana pulled away but still holding Mina in arm length. She glanced over on Mina's back, then on her both sides (she even looked on her back) as if looking for something ‐ or someone.

"Where's your boyfriend?" Sana asked. It's quite surprising for her, like Jeong, not to see the taller guy trailing behind the ballerina as the two are always together. Wherever Mina is, you'll find the guy.

 

Much to Mina's bemusement, Sana asked this question innocently. Sana's eyes were full of curiosity, looking for answers, that Mina couldn't give. I mean, she doesn't have a boyfriend. Yeah, there are boys lining up to ask her as their girl, but Mina perpetually decline them all.


Jeongyeon continued to observe the interaction and was surprised, again for the umpteenth time of the day, when Mina was equally confused as Sana, and the tone Mina used when she repeated Sana's question left Jeongyeon astounded.

"My boyfriend?" Mina repeated, voice laced in confusion, while pointing to herself to emphasize the first word. Sana nodded.

Mina blinked.

Sana blinked.

 

A few moments of silence saved by the students' noise. Then, Jeongyeon spoke up to Sana's side, "She meant Hanbin. Where's Hanbin? I haven't seen him today."

That's when Mina realized what Sana meant from her question earlier and she tried her best not to laugh. She heard a stifled laughter from her back. Sana glanced over to see the tofu-liked girl, Dahyun, and the small cub, Chaeyoung stifling their laugh. She then looked at Jihyo's direction, who's staring at her blankly, and lastly, Tzuyu who had a disgusting look on her face. Sana then gasped as she started to talk again, looking back at Mina, "Hanbin's not your boyfriend?"

 

Mina's brows furrowed, "Uhh… no?" What makes her older friend that Hanbin, her cousin, is her boyfriend, Mina bemused. Her bewilderment grew when Sana asked her again about her relationship with Hanbin. "No. Hanbin is my cousin, Sa-chan."

 

Mina was taken aback when Sana laughed, muttering "OMG" repeatedly. Jeongyeon's eyes widened and she smiled from ear to ear, facing Sana before they held hands while jumping up and down.

 

"Momo is so stupid. Oh my gosh." Mina heard the blue haired girl said to Sana. Mina was still confused by her two older friends' reaction after knowing her true relationship with Hanbin but she let out a smile of her own watching her two unnies humping like kids.

 

 

 

 

----------------------

A/N: I apologize for the grammar errors. Thank you for reading this. Take care y'all! :*