Part XI

Still There

(Note: Set from Momo's arrival up to present) 

Momo took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh air of South Korea as soon as her other foot landed. She fished her phone out of her handbag then brought it back to life, expecting a call from her sister who came in Korea to see her.

Earlier this month, she received an invitation from the management of 'Happy Together' which she happily accepted. But that wasn't the reason why she flew back in this country. In fact, Momo already arranged her schedule and plane ticket last month, so she wouldn't have to worry while working as an instructor at the university she graduated.

Upon seeing her older sister, Hana, Momo ran, pulling her luggage, stopping in front of her sister to give her a big hug.

"Momo! I can't breathe!" Instead of letting go, Momo squeezed her, causing the older to let out a squeak. As soon as Momo let go, she received a hard slap on her both arms. "Are you trying to kill me?"

"Ouch!" Momo hissed. "I just missed you." She pouted, giving her best puppy eyes she could muster.

Hana ignored her, rolling her eyes. "Remind me to kick you out in the middle of the road."

"I know you're not gonna do that. You love me no." Momo sing-sang, following her sister to the parking lot, who reached for the other suitcase in Momo.

Momo and her sister talked about their lives on their way to the TV station's building. At some point, when they were not talking Momo dozed off a lot of times, she blamed it to the time differences, her body had adapted the time zones so well.

Hana glanced at her then back to the road. "I'll wake you when we get there."

True to her word, Hana did wake her up when they arrived. Momo bid her goodbye. They will see each other at home.

She brought her shoulder bag with her where the things she needed were inside, she figured she only needed her phone and wallet to survive if ever she gets lost.

Stepping inside the establishment, her phone phone vibrated. It was 'Wendy' calling her. She told Wendy that she will arrive on the day of her guesting for a TV reality show. Of course, Wendy being Wendy was not impressed and amused at the same time.

She swiped the green bubble to answer the call.

"Hel-"

"You peach! Where are you? See, this is what I'm telling yo-"

"What floor is Happy Together's studio?" She asked back, ignoring Wendy's nag.

"I— you— on the 4th floor."

"Thank you. I'm pretty late. See ya, Wends!"

Before Wendy could say anything, Momo already pressed the end button, and started to walk fast to find an available elevator. Luckily for her, an elevator dinged open but the only passenger stayed there, stood straight as if his feet rooted on the ground, staring at her. Momo stared back, not backing up from the competition. But when she recovered Momo stepped inside, not minding the stares she's receiving from the other person.

"Hirai Momo-ssi?" Momo looked up from her phone, about to text Wendy on what was happening. "I'm sorry to frighten you," oh no, Momo wasn't frightened. "I'm Lee Jun, a staff from the production's show. I am here to assist you." The man bowed, "I apologize for my behaviour earlier."

Momo almost instinctively reached her hand out, but bowed instead, apologizing too for being late. The elevator's door opened, the guy stepped outside then Momo. The man pointed all the places she needed to know, especially the comfort room. Along the way they were met by staffs and producers of the show, then finally, they reached a room with her name stuck outside. This was probably her dressing room.

"This is your dressing room. Here you can change your clothes and retouch your make up."

She smiled at Lee Jun. The man seemed to dedicate on his work, and a little nervous.

Momo asked the man if she could join her inside, the intern politely decline. Momo laughed at that, Momo's pretty confident with her outfit already, she didn't need to change if that what was Jun thinking. She only needed a person to talk with, because she was nervous as hell!

While doing her make up, she asked Lee Jun how much time she had left. She was only given 5 minutes to prepare. Before the man could speak, the door opened and another man wearing a headphone said that it was the time for her to show up.

Lee Jun wished her good luck.

Once her name was called, she did her entrance and showed off a little like what it said on the script. She did a moonwalk to the center that enthralled the hosts and the producers. Upon turning, her sight landed to the other guest who was smiling clapping her hands in amusement, a proud smile spread on her face.  

Momo patted herself internally for how much patience she had to not jump on Mina's arms every time the girl would touch her.

After recording, Momo thanked the producers and staffs of the show, even stayed for a while to talk with them. When they finally let her go, Momo caught up to Mina, jumping on her back. They talked for a minute before Wendy decided to show up, calling her attention. She looked at the singer pointedly. She bid Mina goodbye.

The raven ran toward Wendy, head locking the woman as a consequence for interrupting. Wendy introduced her to her manager and other staffs, she brought her to the entertainment company Wendy was under to your her.

At Momo's home, the old Hirais decided to give Momo a welcoming home party. Of course, the Myoui's were present. They were like the extension of their family. During dinner, Hana announced her engagement with her boyfriend and everyone presents congratulated her.

"Congrats. You can now make your own peach," Momo teases.

After everyone was gone, except for her and Mina who fidgeted on her seat. Momo didn't know why Mina stayed but it made her feel giddy. They talked a lot, though it seemed like Mina wanted to say something but couldn't find her words, ending her not to say a word.

Still, a worrier, I see.

Ah! Momo raised her hand that was holding a spoon. "You're in a relationship with someone," Momo pointed the end of the spoon to Mina accusingly. The thought alone was making her heart ache.

"I'm not."

"Oh, come one. That was impossible. With your ethereal beauty a lot of guys will fall in line just to be with you," Momo said, a matter-of-factly.

"I swear, I'm not. I could never lie to you, Momoring."  "Maybe it was you."

"What?"

"You're in a relationship, aren't you?" Mina said turning the table to Momo.

Momo stopped chewing the cake, spoon in . She watches as Mina's eyes turns from various emotions in a matter of seconds. Momo who tried to be cheeky, answered, "Who knows?"

Momo's phone rang on her pocket. She got up to answer the call and the first thing she said to the caller was,

"You're such a wrong timing." She looked over her shoulder to glance at Mina, who was looking at the up. Mirroring Mina, Momo looked up the night sky, it was illuminated by the stars. "Beautiful." She mumbled.

"Have you seen it?" The caller asked.

"Seen what?" She asked back. Momo remembered now, she promised that she's going to help the singer on her upcoming album. "I'm sorry, it slipped my mind. Don't worry, I'm on my way to my room now."

Momo entered the house, failed to see Mina watching her with longing sad eyes.

The next day, Momo went out to have her cardio exercise around the neighborhood. On her way back, she saw Mina with her dog, Ray. Momo turned around, contemplating to herself whether to run away or enter the gate of their house in a rush. But she knew better. She knew Mina had seen her, and the least she wanted was for Mina to see the blush building on her face.

A tapped on her shoulder. Momo's eyes widened.

"Momo, you okay there?"

Momo released an inaudible deep sigh, facing her best friend with a (awkward) smile, "oh, hi. I'm fine, just stretching before I go inside—" Momo's breath hitched at the sight of Mina in her gym outfit, and she stammered, "—the house."

Mina in her pale yellow cropped top jacket and black tights would be Momo's death.

Unfortunately for Momo, the younger didn't buy it. "Are you sure? Your face is red." Mina held up her hand to touch the choreographer's face, but Momo swatted it away out of panic. Momo swore she saw the pain in that beautiful pair of orbs, but then it disappeared as soon as it appears.

"I— I'm sorry, Mina. I didn't mean to— I— really am sorry. It's just—" you're so hot, it makes me a gushing mess "— I'm alright, and I don't you to worry."

Mina nodded, sighing. Ray barked, and Momo looked down at the dog, giving him a wink as though the dog would sing to his master and tattletale her.

The following days were more awkward prior to that incident. Now, Wendy was making fun of her, her laughter bounced in every corner of the dance studio. Today was marked as Momo's first week of being a choreographer in Wendy's company, and also Wendy's choreographer for her upcoming album.

"Hope you choke," Momo made a face.

Disregarding Wendy's mocks and teases, Momo read the text from Nayeon regarding the location of their get together, and quickly searched for Mina's number then hit the dial button. Three rings after Momo heard Mina's voice, her heart jumped then stopped for a second upon hearing the exhaustion in the younger's voice. Usual Momo nagged her best friend for pushing herself hard. Don't get Momo wrong, there's nothing wrong about working hard but you also need time to rest in between or your body will take a toll on you.

After that call, Momo invited Wendy to introduce to her friends; that was how Momo came in to this situation.

"What are you doing!? Are you trying to ruin my life?"

"What! I'm helping you."

Earlier, when Momo was about to present her, Wendy interjected calling herself as Momo's girlfriend. The raven's world halted, Mina's stare bore into her— and also that other person in the room. Yes, let us not forget how those piercing eyes almost put Momo six feet under the ground. 

"Dude, if only looks could kill, I would've been dead." Remembering those glaring eyes, Momo shivered.

"I just want to see how Mina would react."

"That you oversaw Jihyo's reaction?" Wendy shrugged. Momo's anxiety grew in her stomach. "What the heck, dude. You just don't want my life ruined, but also my chance."

Wendy playfully pushed her, "Don't be overdramatic. Just trust me, and play along."

"No! The least I want right now is to trust you." She barked.

"Why, I'm offended!" Wendy put her hand on her chest, a little hurt.

"'Cause the last time I did, we got lost in LA."

Silence—

"That... doesn't need a flashback." Wendy murmured. 

Momo was in the middle of sulking and ignoring Wendy while the latter was consoling her when the door brast open, and Wendy suddenly pulled her. It was a strong pull that her lips touched down on the woman's clavicle. 

Wendy let out a moan, albeit hoax, Momo's eyes grew bigger at that, pushing herself away from the other. However, Wendy didn't react, only a distant eyes staring at the door.

"I think you should follow her" Wendy mumbled. Momo stared at her questioningly. As if reading her mind, Wendy answered, "Mina."

Momo dashed out of lavatory, running back to their room looking for Mina only to find none. She got her phone and dialed Mina's number while rushing down the stairs, eyes scanning the place like a hawk. Momo emerged on the lower ground, whipped her head fro and to to searched for the younger. 

"Momo? Momo is that you?" A voice of a woman called.

"Lisa!" They embraced, asked a question or two about each other's well-being. She was delighted to see a friend and wanted to stay for more, however, she needed to part from the little reunion to look for a swan which the other understood.

"I think I know that swan you're looking for." Lisa pointed to the crowd of people dancing on the dance floor. Momo's eyes wandered, thinking at the back of her mind that Lisa was actually fooling her until her vision filled Mina.

Mina was there, dancing— grinding— on some random guy, her hand on her head, turning her head left to right, vibing the music as her other hand gripped a bottle of beer. Before it comes to worse: which Momo was afraid to mention, she pulled Mina and headed to the back door.

"What the hell!?" Mina shouted as soon as they were out the building, away from the sounds and people. Momo was shocked, the brunette didn't usually raised her voice but Momo didn't reprimand about it and calmly talked to her.

"Mina, how much did you drink?" Momo softly asked, pushing the hair falling on to Mina's face. Momo could smell the alcohol in her breath, and she cringed, "You're not used drinking this type of beverage. You know you shouldn't." Momo took the bottle away, her voice was becoming to break as every time she tried to touch and reach her best friend, she'd pushed her away without saying a word as if she had a plague.

But Momo didn't want that to happen. Didn't want Mina out of her grasp, out of her sight, out of her day, out of her life. She didn't want that to happen again. She didn't want to let her go. No, not again that she was facing her. So that, she held Mina closed to her, locking the younger in her arms.

A sob then turned to a cry.

"Why are you doing this? Why did you have to come back? What? To leave me again? To break me again? I waited for you for so long, Momo, only to have you back with someone. I know I shouldn't be mad at you, but it hurts me to know that you're happy with someone else, and that someone is the reason of your smiles and not me!

But what do I do? At the end of the day, I'm still a coward who was afraid to face the reality. To accept the truth that I loved you, and I'm still in love with you! You, ! You didn't even take responsibility of what you've done to me!!"

Momo chuckled, kept her tears from falling, her chest filled with so much happiness and warmth, as she tapped Mina's back ever so tenderly, she didn't forsee Mina pushing her hard this time, causing the older to fell on her , losing her balance. That harsh pushed caught her off guard while she was still day(night)dreaming.

The raven had not yet recovered when Mina sat on her stomach, intensely gazing down at her. The younger's quick breathing stabilized to Momo's relief although she feared for her own, finding herself suddenly out of breath as Mina continued to lean in.

"As a revenge..." Mina's now dangerously closed, the air escaping Mina's lips fanned her face and Momo was not breathing, closing her eyes in anticipation.