oo3

The Kims
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So you need me to go there?"

 

Joohyun watched his forhead wrinkle, lips turn into a straight line as he talked to his father. Her brows arched as she thought he hadn't had his lunch yet. Even though it was nearing 2 pm. And his father needed him to go somewhere?

 

"Yeah, I'll be there," Junmyeon nodded, cutting the call. He glanced at her shortly, "I'm going somewhere. I'll do my lunch later," he informed her, eyes still glued to the phone. "Meanwhile, you do yours and update those files."

 

He walked towards his desk, placing the device down with a sigh. Joohyun stood there, glued to her place. "Junmyeon-ssi," she called out to him. He hummed, asking her to continue as he got into his coat, eyes on the clock as he did. "This...this is not a healthy habit," she dared to say, "You skipped your lunch last day as well."

 

"It's fine. I don't have a choice," He responded with a shrug. "But you have yours and make sure you don't mess those files up. They're dead important."

 

She frowned, biting her lips. Kim Junmyeon was always stuck in this god forsaken office building, between phone calls and piles and piles of documents. She felt pity for him but he managed just fine like the eldest Kim was supposed to. Responsible would be an understatement to describe him. Even though he was cranky at times, Joohyun knew where he was coming from. She had only ever disappointed him, it would be surprising if he didn't have that I'm-so-done-with-you expression whenever he looked at her.

 

In the seven days of working with him, she had observed how he never took enough care of himself. It was only ever work work and more work that came first. And she wished he looked at himself from time to time because no one else would do it for him if not himself.

 

He left, repeating his instructions again, emphasizing on how important the files were. Joohyun nodded, watching him stride out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Joohyun sighed, pulling her hair into a loose bun as she approached the files on his table. She didn't know what got her when she suddenly wanted to tour this room of his. She started from his desk, inspecting the only picture that he kept there. Of him and his siblings. Most probably from Yerim's birthday. She knew all of them by their faces, who didn't in Seoul?

 

It was sweet of him to keep that picture on his desk. It showed how much he loved his family. It showed that under the glamor and fame, they were normal human beings too, who enjoyed a little birthday party like any other. Their joyous faces made her smile.

 

His desk was clean, like any other corner of the room, decorated with minimalist designs. Though it showed how much he liked to make this place his home. A distant corner of the room had more picture frames, hung in a messy design yet looking so whole. His graduation. Minseok going to school with him. Jongdae posing with his piano with Jongin peeping behind him, both smiling like they'll make the sun jobless. Junmyeon with his parents, a happy smile on his face. A picture of Jongin and Yerim pulling each other's hair.

 

A sad smile reached her face. She hoped these bonds weren't being lost with time. As successful as each of them were, Joohyun hoped they remained as united. She hoped Junmyeon got off work early and spent time with his siblings. She hoped the happiness remained in the Kim family.

 

She spotted a little stack of DVDs under his computer desk, most of them being animated movies that she wasn't really into. But they made her adore him more and more. He came out to be a little scay when they first met but maybe he was just most of the time in a bad mood. That wasn't how he was all the time.

 

Going through the files wasn't a difficult job but she handled them with all the care in the world. They were just updated two weeks ago by his former secretary. Soon, it was 2 pm and she decided to get something to eat. "Jungwoo," she pressed the phone to her ear, "Do you know where Junmyeon-ssi is?"

 

"Ah, Noona," he addressed her, sounding all concentrated in his work, "Wait. I'll let you know. I'll call you back, okay?"

 

"Yes. Please, make it quick."

 

She took a bite out of her sandwich, her mother's words playing in her head. Never skip your meals. She had nagged her so much on the phone the last time they had spoken. Joohyun missed her, and her grandma. She never wanted to leave them at home but she had to.

 

Joohyun thought as she ate. Junmyeon didn't have anyone to tell him to have his meals all the time. With a little parcel of food, she set off to find the place that he was currently at when Jungwoo sent her the address. Jungwoo worked at the reception and basically had all the information.

 

Two Moons, the text said. She remembered this place. The last memory of her from this place was something she wanted to forget. She was so heavily cirticized when she sat for an interview, given that that was her first ever interview and it totally broke her morale. Joohyun decided to wait in the lobby. An hour passed by as she played the piano tiles in her phone, pouting as she lost everytime and stayed stuck in the same level.

 

"Bae Joohyun."

 

"What?"

 

Joohyun focused on her game, pressing her thumb on the incoming tiles on the screen, absorbed in the game enitrely. She felt the two boring eyes on her before she looked up momentarily. Jumping in surprise as she came across Junmyeon giving her a stern look.

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

He asked, in his usual tone, a little surprised. Joohyun blinked at his face for a good two seconds before speaking, "I bought you food."

 

"You what?" He raised his brows. She repeated, standing up, realizing she was speaking too fast. Junmyeon arched his brows even more, looking at the styrofoam packet that she held out for him. "You...you didn't have to."

 

"It's fine," she gulped, "I'll go home now. Will that be fine with you?"

 

"But it's only three," he mumbled, still a little taken aback by her action.

 

Joohyun bit her lower lip, "I wanted to go see my mother today. I haven't seen her in a month."

 

She watched him gulp, looking down at the plastic bag before glancing up at her, "Is this your kind of bribe to get off early?"

 

"What?" She blurted out, "What? No! I just wanted you to have a quick lunch. I know you haven't eaten in almost eight hours now--"

 

"Hey, chill," Junmyeon smiled faintly, "I was kidding. Did you eat?"

 

Too absorbed by the fact that he smiled at her, she found herself speechless. But she nodded anyway. "Y-You should too. See you tomorrow at work."

 

Junmyeon watched her stride down the driveway, pulling her hair out of the loose bun on her shoulder, a little surprised that she went to such a measure to make him eat his meal. It had been long that someone had nagged him for lunch, or bought him food. The warmth that he felt was indescribable yet he tried not to be so happy about about what she did. The fact that someone had looked out for him sounded nice to his ears.

 

Seulgi brushed her hair out of her face, hearing the familiar tune of her phone ringing somewhere. She didn't want to get up yet. She snuggled her face in the pillow, pulling the cover closer to her body. Slowly opening her eyes, she came across a large window, stretching from the floor to the ceiling. A glimmering sun, peaks of the tall buildings and fluffy clouds.

 

"Stop hogging the blanket."

 

She almost jumped at the sudden voice, immediately turning around to face it. Jongin clicked his tongue, appearing a little annoyed. Seulgi arched her brows, realizing she really had most of the blanket to herself. She let her take the half of the blanket yet he chose to move in closer and hug her instead.

 

Seulgi pushed him off herself, sitting up on the bed. He shifted himself, draping his long arms around her little waist. It was Seulgi's turn to click her tongue but that's it. She didn't tell him anything else. Jongin sighed, falling back on the bed behind her. "How are you feeling, Ms. Kang?" he asked, sounding awake enough.

 

Seulgi arched one of her brows lazily, "Usual."

 

"I thought you'd wake up feeling a lot more," She could hear the smile on his face as his breath hit her waist. "How was last night? Did I do good?"

 

"Maybe," Seulgi rubbed her right eyes, yawning. "Let's forget what happened last night. I don't want to hear about it ever again from your mouth. Last night never happened."

 

"A pity you don't want to remember last night." Seulgi heard some shuffling before Jongin was sitting beside her, looking intently at her face. "Are you okay now?" His voice went am octave lower, Seulgi rolled her eyes at it. "You were a crybaby last night. You must have really liked that guy, huh?"

 

"What guy?" Seulgi arched her brows at him, wondering if she had pronounced Sehun the night before. It would be embarrasing, given that Sehun worked in Jongin's father's company. They might even know each other.

 

"I don't know. You didn't tell me his name," Jongin mumbled. Seulgi internally sighed in relief. "You could use a little more sleep. It's only eight."

 

Her eyes widened at his words. "What? Eight already? , I need to leave for work!" She threw the blanket away from her body, panicking. She couldn't lose this job. But work started at seven. She kept cursing under her breath, gathering her clothes from the floor. Her heart thumped in her chest. She looked for her phone in the pile of their discarded clothes, sighing when she couldn't find it.

 

"Ms. Kang," he called out to her but she was too occupied to l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter