Sun-roast & Mooncakes

Coffee & Kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-
-
-
-


As far as I remember, I only own dark-colored duvets, but now I'm seeing blend of light pink, yellow-orange, and purple, as if it's the color of sky during sunset. The sheets feel softer under my skin, and I can't help but hum in contentment. I was about to get up, but my arm felt frozen, and so was I. Beside me is the woman who presently owns my heart and made me feel all kinds of emotions at the same time; The same woman who made me realize how much I've been missing in my life without her smile, her touch, and her kisses; The same woman who made me feel alive again.


She's sleeping so peacefully that I can't help but hold my own breathing from time to time just so I won't wake her up. Damn, she's so beautiful and even more this close. Her current hair color suits her best, I concluded.

But I'm confused about how did we end up here, and where are we even. Is this her room? I looked around, but all I can see are white thin curtains adorning the pure white walls. The beam of light seeps through the curtains. Is this heaven?

 

"Love, what're you thinking?"

 

Love??? 

 

My head turned swiftly from what I've heard, and she's already looking at me with worried eyes. The sunlight hits her face perfectly, that makes her dark brown eyes lighter. Damn, those warm brown eyes could be the death of me soon.

 

I opened my mouth to speak, but what dawned upon me made me panic. I tried to speak again, and again. Until my hand automatically went up to my mouth, and I began to hysterical. I stood up and look for any mirror. I know I never seen one when I look around, but for some miracle, there hang an oval-shaped mirror with gold frame.


... And there I see myself without a mouth---

 

*
---그거면 됐다 널 사랑했다
우리가 만든 love scenario
이젠 조명이 꺼지고
마지막 페이지를 넘기면
조용히 막을 내리죠... 
*

 

I jolted awake and sat up clutching into the sheets. My breathing is short and labored. I felt like I ran a mile non-stop. My hand reached for my face warily, suddenly afraid of the reality. But how grateful I am to touch my own lips now. My other hand immediately reached for my phone, turning off my alarm, I opened the camera just to check on my face.


Thank the holy God, it's just a bad dream.


I let out a deep breath. My eyes began to scan the surrounding, and I'm clearly in my room. Black duvets and white sheets around me, my gray drapes shielding me from the bright light, and my walls are back to normal; excerpts and drawings printed all over like a sketchbook.


I sat there calming myself down, and trying to blink off the sleepiness from my eyes. I checked my phone again to see if I have a message from someone I look forward to hearing from every day.

 

* 9 MESSAGES RECEIVED *

 

Scrolling down, I felt a light tug on my chest seeing the end of the list. Not a single message from Joohyun. I can’t help but feel sad, as pitiful as it sounds. I get up, and decided to take a shower instead. Not the best morning but hopefully, it’ll be better later.

I almost forgot I have a meeting to attend this morning. Jeti Co. is one of our biggest client and Jennie, being out of the country, will expect nothing but excellence from this final meeting. It has been awhile ever since I saw Tiffany Jung herself. I believe our last interaction was at the annual Gold 100 gala. The young entrepreneur is one of the most influential women in the country, and I can’t help but feel intimidated, of course. But what makes me even more frightened about this is meeting her wife, Jessica Jung. I’ve met Ms. Jung a number of times before, and none of those are good encounters. All because Ms. Jessica Jung didn’t approve of her younger sister dating me back then. Her sister, Krystal, is one of the models Sooyoung has collaborated with. I met her first at the famous clothing line my sister is also working with. It wasn’t the best meeting but Krystal did make an impression of being intimidatingly gorgeous and feisty. Standing behind the photographer, I was being eyed like a prey while she poses for the camera. I was there for my sister, but I can’t seem to remove my gaze from Krystal. Exchange of numbers wasn’t necessary when Krystal straightforwardly drag me to her suite. My self-restraint wasn’t best to begin with; hence it went where it should be. From that night and on, it was all fun. But good times had come to an end, that one late afternoon when a paparazzi saw us exiting a bar looking beyond friendly, and the public ate it like wildfire. The scandal became huge because Krystal is actually supposed to be dating an actor, at least that’s what the media dictates. Entertainment industry is ed up in many ways. Ms. Jessica, from then on, hates my guts to the bones for scandalizing her sister and her family name. I ended it with Krystal after, but the rumor didn’t die until months after. It was years ago though, and I have nothing against the Jung’s. I just hope she forgave me already or just forget whatever happens in the past. “Business is business”, Jennie slams those words at me after I told her I want to pass this deal to Byul or Lisa. But, Jeti Co. is big and it wouldn’t be a good first impression if our company will be missing both CEO and COO for the contract signing. Therefore, I got no choice.

Sigh. I badly need coffee for this.

 

I arrived in my office an hour earlier than usual. As expected, Yerim is still not here but I don’t mind. The quiet might help with my loud messy mind. I took off my coat and was about to get my usual coffee but suddenly, decided against it seeing that I only have instant coffee capsules. By the influence of someone, I stopped drinking instant coffee and it seems her voice is stronger in my head than my own. So instead, I went out and decided to order from the newly-opened small coffee shop across the building.

It’s getting quite chillier these days. I suddenly regretted not wearing my coat but it’s too late to go back now. Entering the shop, I sighed thankful of the warmth and the aroma of the coffee I’m breathing. It’s my first time visiting the shop, and I’m actually glad that it’s open at this early hour. I made a quick scan of the menu and smiled about the creative names they put up: ‘Latte Than Ever’, ‘Grumpy Cappuccino’, ‘Boss Macchiato’, ‘Salted Caramel Climber’, and many more. Even the interior of the shop is expressive and design-centered but at the same time, neat-looking and still very cozy. The fresh modern white wall compliments well with the wooden tables and counters. Speaking of counters though, I wonder where’s the barista…


“Hello? Anyone---”

 

I was cut off by someone appearing beside me. I might appear very calm but I got really surprised.

 

“Alex! There’s a customer!”

 

The person who’s wearing a cap and face mask called out and a reply came from room inside which I assumed is the kitchen or stock room. My eyes went back to the person, I can’t pinpoint if it’s a he or----


“Just a minute!”  A feminine voice coming from the other side responded back.

 


The person beside me bows their head and told me to wait for the barista and then they left. I watched them go back to wiping the glass windows. I wonder what----


“Hey, sorry for making you wait. My name is Alex, and welcome to Coffeewriter! What can I get started for you today?”    The barista appeared on the other side of the counter wearing a bright smile.


“Oh, hi! It’s fine. I was actually busy studying the place and I must say this is a very nice shop you have here. You guys just opened yesterday, right? My assistant told me about this shop.”    I complimented smilingly.   “and I love that pen and sunflower painting on the wall too!”

 

“Yes, we’re very new. The wholistic design is actually a personal touch so it might be quite unique, but someone thought it’s a good idea to have a mural inside so, yeah… ”   She laughed lightly.


“It’s really nice and it’s a good idea indeed. And the menu is unique as well. I don’t actually have anything specific in mind, but maybe surprise me instead.”    I said, with my eyes still on the menu.


“Alright. How about a sun-roast coffee? It’s one of our strong brews and an a.m. savior as our patrons call it. Will that be okay?”   She suggested which I immediately agreed upon.


“Sure. Never tried it before, it sounds interesting. I’ll have it with a slice of banana cake too, please.”

 

“Alright. Will that be for here or to-go?”


“To-go please.”

 

Waiting for my order, I can’t help but observe around. It’s quite early so there’s really no people around. Checking my phone, a smile instantly grew in my lips. Joohyun just woke up and told me to grab something to eat before work. I typed in my reply and told her I’m already at work and was about to grab some quick breakfast. I thought about asking her about her schedule for the day, but I contemplated on it. She might think I’m prying too much, or maybe I’m just being self-conscious too? In the end, I just closed my phone and left it that way. After a short while, I got my order and also promised the barista that I’ll surely be back. I’m quite looking forward to tasting this new brew in my hand. But before I even step out of the shop, my phone dinged and a message from Joohyun appeared.


*
Hyunnie:
“Alright. I’ll also prepare for my appointment today. Can I call you later?”
*


With a clear anticipation of this morning, I start my work with a good mood and clear head state. I sure hope that today marks a good week for me. Sitting back at my reclining chair, I took a good sip from the cup of goodness in my hand and oh joy, the barista isn’t joking about it. Just the very cup I need today.

*
To Hyunnie:
“Sure. I’ll be free after the lunch meeting today. I’ll certainly need to hear your voice later. Take care, Hyunnie.”
*


Taking a last glance on my phone, my focus went back to my laptop and I start finalizing my presentation for today’s meeting. Hours passed by swiftly and with my coffee long gone, I didn’t notice my surrounding that much. Until my Assistant appeared beside me, calling my name twice or thrice, and told me that the Jung’s have arrived. I simply nodded and closed my laptop as we head out.


I might say I’m very busy but to be honest, I always have time to check my phone for any message coming from her. I don’t admit it, but I get sad whenever I don’t hear from her. Even a single message would ignite a fire in me. Even just a simple word would bring a smile in my lips. But of course, I kept mum about it.


As the glass door of the conference opened, I breathed and brushed off my thoughts once more.

 

“Pleasure seeing you again, Kang Seulgi.”

 

-
-
-

 

Business is about trust, and trust is too fragile. Like a piece of porcelain, once cracked it’s never quite the same. And in this era, trust in business is dangerously cracking, even close to being shattered. Leaders no longer run their companies with passion, in simple words, they no longer care. Business isn’t about consumer’s benefits or employee’s welfare, it’s about money. It’s all about money, ambition, and power. Being in this industry for years now, I learned that you can’t really find a friend out of people in business suits. It’s either you’re an ally or a competition to them. But an ally and a friend are never synonymous. Because an ally can be bought; at the end of the day, it’s business anyway.


“I’m glad we’re on the same page on this, Ms. Kang. Rest assured that I will prepare everything you need for this project.”   Jessica Jung was the first one to stand followed by her wife. The stern aura of the woman never leaves despite the smile gracing her lips.


“It’s always a pleasure doing good business with Jeti Co. Again, the CEO would like to apologize for not being able to attend this meeting since she’s currently not in the country.”


She just nodded in understanding.   “It’s alright. Please do send my regards to the CEO.”


“I will.”  I smiled, and reached for a handshake that signifies the business is sealed and done.

 

Jessica Jung was the first one to leave, followed by her wife Tiffany. As the glass doors closed and I was left alone, a sigh left my lips.


I’m not sure if Jennie will be delighted to know that the Jung’s want to collaborate with the woman she hated the most, Kim Taeyeon.


-
-
-

 

“I hate business drama.”   I groaned.   “I mean, business shouldn’t have these kind of play that we’re like characters of a poorly written drama of some sorts. We’re not in showbiz.”

 

I heard a giggle from the other line, making me forget what I am frustrated about in the first place. That soft voice is my favorite lullaby. She can sing me ABC and I would still sleep soundly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter