Arabica & Wine

Coffee & Kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-
-
-
-


Being workaholic has been attached to the name 'Kang Seulgi' ever since I stepped foot in Revel Industries. More than half of my life has been devoted to work and it always been like that, regardless if I'm dating someone or not. But these past few days, I've been distracted. Yes, I'm still at work for 12 hours a day or more sometimes, but it doesn't change the fact that something changed in me. Or rather, someone changed me and the way I am living my life now. I used to wake up in the morning plainly and grab some coffee then head straight to work. But now, not anymore. Because when I wake up, my mind automatically goes to someone, and now I check my phone regularly, as if waiting for someone to contact me. Like these days, when I grab my coffee, it wasn't black. It's macchiato, her favourite. Or sometimes, I secretly order myself a frappe, mostly because I just missed her. Also, hoping she remembers me as well.


A COO's life was never easy but it's bearable. Work can be drowning at times but these days, it's now the only distraction I could get from the certain beautiful distraction as well. That certain someone who keeps me awake at night and dazed at day. I always wonder if she's just a dream or a hallucination created by my mind. That maybe she wasn't real. 


But I can't argue with the fact that I still could feel her. Every touch, every kisses, the warmth of her embrace and her breathe against mine, the way her eyes locked with mine, the way she smile that lits up the fire in my heart. She's real, every part of her is real.


Hyun, please tell me why are you avoiding me, make me understand... 


'cause I'm already losing my mind. 

 

-

 

"Boss?" 

 

I looked up to the direction of the voice. My assistant staring at me with her eyes full of worry again. She knows my dilemma, I have told her out of frustration and madness of the truth that I can't deny... 


That I have no control over my heart. 

 

"Yes, Yeri?" 

 

"It's already lunch. Actually, way past lunch. Let's go out, please?"   She looked hopeful. Perhaps because I've been skipping breaktimes for a few days straight now.


Not wanting to make my assistant anymore worried than she ever is, this time, I nodded. And it made her sigh in relief. 

 

"Alright, let's go." 

 

-
-
-

 

My friends always know how to lighten up my mood. One of the ways is a can of Pringles which Yeri tossed at me the moment she said that someone wants to check on me as we order our lunch. I wasn't surprised to know its the Canadian chef. Now I understand why Yeri brought her netbook in a diner, the one across the building.

 

"So, you mean you're not sure if she's into you? Like how you're obsessed with her?"

 

I rolled my eyes at my assistant's remark.  "I'm not obsessed with her."

 

She scoffed, clearly not believing me.   "Whatever, boss."

 

The pastry chef intervened after. Right now, she's on video call all the way from the other side of Seoul, excited enough to hear the latest gossip from none other than, nosy Yerimie. Although she would be actually meeting us tomorrow with also my sister arriving back to Seoul, they decided that it's best to interrogate me now. Only means she's that excited to know my whereabouts that she can't wait for tomorrow. I just hope Yeri didn't exaggerate my encounter with Joohyun. 


"Well, for one, she agreed to still see you after sleeping with you for two nights. Like how you call it, 'two-night stand'."   Wendy emphasized on the coined word.


Before I could reply, Yeri beat me to it turning to the woman on the screen.   "Unnie, let's not forget the part that she literally confessed her heart out just so she could have the 'yes' for another date."


I'm starting to overthink what more did Yeri told the older woman. 

The Canadian shook her head, staring at me as if I'm a new person.   "You freakin' fell in love with her after ing. That's just ridiculous. Totally out of character of the player Seulgi." 


"Hey! I'm not a player!"   I complained.    "and I don't love her, just yet!"  I mumbled the last part, knowing that I might soon be.


If these feelings would grow faster than a plant, then I'm in trouble. 


"Maybe she spiked your drink to make you fell head over heels with her."   Yeri continued to drop useless accounts. 


"Too much fiction got in you head, Yerimie."   I dismissed her while munching on my salad. 


"I'm just thinking of possible reasons of why are you looking stupidly in love right now."  She retorted. 


"I told you, I'm not in love with her!"  I pointed out while the younger still looked unimpressed.   "Besides, I've only seen her for three days. And---" 

 

"And she'd been MIA for 4 days straight now after that."  Yeri raised an eyebrow at me.   "Unnie, you told me the last time she called you was Tuesday when she arrived in Japan and what day is it today---" 


"Saturday."   Wendy answered with her eyes glued on her phone. 

 

"Exactly. I'm just leaving my thoughts here but I think she's avoiding you. She clearly wasn't as interested at you as you are to her."   Yeri concluded leaving me in silence. 


Wendy sighed on the other line.   "Hey, give the woman some break. The Kang Seulgi we know wouldn't bat an eyelash at someone who isn't worth of her time. Maybe there's something special about this woman, right Seul?" 


I kept mum and just nodded, keeping myself busy with my lame salad. 


After our coffeedate at Signature Velvet last Monday, the promise of dinner the next day goes off the table. Joohyun suddenly called me to inform that she'll be out of town for a few days and goes with the series of apologies since she will not be able to have dinner with me. Her flight was scheduled the day after our last meeting. It was all sudden, she said, the Manager wants the model to attend the conference in Tokyo, and it was something she cannot cancel. I told her I understand, of course, I know how hectic it is in the entertainment industry. Obviously, a part of me was saddened but I never thought worse of it.


Until its been exactly 4days since she last texted me.


My last conversation with the model was when she arrived in Tokyo and she told me she'll be meeting a friend of hers around dinner. That was the last call followed by her last text message of: "talk to you later, Seul". And the rest was silence, up until now.


I sighed, feeling hopeless about everything. My fork kept on poking on the poor lettuce, while I watch it tore open. Looks just like my heart. 


I heard Wendy calling the younger's name in a hiss that caught my attention somehow and yet, my eyes are still focused on the murdered lettuce. Wendy's reprimanding tone emerges and then a groan was heard from my assistant. 


"Sorry, unnie."   The sudden apology urges me to look at the two.    "I don't mean to get that savage and insensitive."   Yeri's uncharacteristically shy voice almost made me missed her words. 


Knowing how she's really sincere with the apology, I brushed it off.


"No worries, Yerimie. I understand the concern."   I smiled reassuringly.


"You know how straightforward I could be and well, I just care a lot about you. I just felt like this is new--that we're seeing a new story plot coming up, different from your history. The new-Seulgi who's so invested on someone rather than her life- job."


I smiled weakly.  "Change is good sometimes, right?" 

 

The blonde sighed.   "Yes, but still don't forget to guard your heart at all times. To love is the greatest feeling but it could also be the worst thing when it's with the wrong person. 'Love is ed up in many ways', that's what you told me way back then. I think it's impossible to forget contacting someone when you really want to talk to them, even from across the country. So she must be doing this purposely. Unnie, don't you think it's just pure one-night stand for her and nothing more?"


The faint smile drained off my face. I suddenly felt a pang in my chest.  "I... I, uh-- I honestly don't know."  I gazed onto empty space.   "I'm trying to tell that to myself, that she had enough and it's over. But I still end up thinking otherwise, that we have something different going on. I just... I need her to come back and tell me the reason why she's avoiding me. I rather have her tell it to my face directly than hanging me like this."


I felt a hand on my arm and Yeri's stare is full of sympathy.  "I hope you can find clarity among this mess. I don't want you to get hurt though. But I guess there's no stopping you from pursuing this woman, yes? Ah, love really moves in mysterious ways."    Yeri's mischievous smile is back again. Then she turned to the chef who suddenly looked in deep thought, holding her phone.  "Right, Wan?"

 

Her gaze lifted turning to us.  "Hm?-- oh, sorry, I spaced out a little. But, hey, I'll talk to you guys later. Something came up."


"Oh, okay... So see you tomorrow then, I guess?"  Yeri replied, earning a series of 'sure', 'totally', and 'bye' from the older, then the other line was cut off.

Well, that was fast. Yeri and I stared at each other confused.

 

"Uhm, what just happened?" 

 

"I honestly don't know." 

 

-
-
-

 

Saturday rolled fast and Sunday entered smoothly. I took my usual run in the morning and then casually grabbed some coffee and bread while I took matters of the emails and reports sent to me by the Managers. It seems like Yeri already told the Managers that over anything, I hate tardiness the most. Hence, the reports that's supposedly due tomorrow, Monday, are sent to me as early as Sunday morning. It gave me more time to review and study the reports before I send it to CEO-nim, and of course, more allowance time before the devils arrive at my house.


Yeri already called me to inform that she will be meeting Wendy first then they will pick up Joy at the airport. To say that I'm thankful of my assistant is an understatement. She knows that I have my hands full at the moment because of the reports. I made a mental note to buy something for her in return. 

 

At around noon, I managed to finish everything and finally took a shower. I missed lunch, again. I just didn't noticed the time. I received a text message from Yeri, telling me they are already on their way to my house. Followed by a side note that Joy is mad for keeping my ' adventures' a secret.


I'm beginning to feel worried about what to expect for later. 

 

-
-
-

 


"You mean you got laid?"

 


I groaned hearing my younger-not-so-little sister bluntly talks about my life.

 

"Wait-- you're not joking?"  Joy added looking utterly surprised while I'm not sure if I should roll my eyes now. 

 

"Oh she's not, Soo. She even got it twice in a row." 

 

There goes my equally annoying childhood best friend who's also sitting on the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter