Bach: Cello Suite No.1 Prélude

Between the Bars

Chapter 4

Bach: Cello Suite No.1 Prélude

 

«Bach opens a vista to the universe.»

— Helmut Walka

 

♫♩ ♫♩ ♫♩ ♫♩ 

 

Sana plays the cello, she’s the first chair cellist in the youth orchestra and has, apparently, been playing the cello for over fifteen years, which impresses Dahyun — really, really, impresses her. Sana plays in the strings, which means that the notes ring clear when her bow is drawn with control and precision over the strings. It means that there is feeling behind the music she plays, and suddenly, Dahyun is overcome with emotion.

 

Dahyun’s heart is hammering in her chest, she can feel tears stinging in her eyes. ’s tight, suddenly the room is too warm and humid. Dahyun begins to sweat, it feels like she’s in the rainforest, the instruments being tuned are the sounds of wild animals. Dahyun hides her face by staring down at the white and black keys of the grand piano she’s sitting at. It makes her feel small, almost invisible.

 

Her hands are shaking, but they’ve never failed her, so when the conductor signals to her, Dahyun doesn’t hesitate; her fingers dance over the keys with confidence.

 

The orchestra plays in unison, in harmony, like a well-oiled machine. The flutes, Dahyun imagines, sound like the wind. The violins sound like sunlight, the cellos are the rivers running in the distance.

 

If Dahyun listens closely she can hear Sana playing among all of the music, all of the sound. It sends Dahyun somewhere else, away from the concert hall that the youth orchestra usually rehearses in. It makes Dahyun see things in her mind: Colours, landscapes, shapes and lines. She suddenly sees Sana’s lips — Dahyun fumbles, missing a note. The conductor frowns, but the orchestra plays on.

 

Dahyun swallows thickly, trying to get back into the music. She doesn’t close her eyes, fearing she’ll see Sana again — fearing that it’ll mess her up.

 

But…

 

As a musician, Dahyun’s always been taught to listen to the music, really, really listen (to listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also). Feelings of hope, love, loss, lust and sorrow are buried deep in each and every note, and when Dahyun listens closely again, she thinks she hears Sana calling to her.