Chapter 3

Beautifully Broken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sulli sighed as she placed her pencil down. It had been two weeks since the disastrous weekend that never seemed to end. First, she went to Taemin's wedding, made herself look like a completely bitter woman and seduced Minho, stupidly yelled out Taemin's name in the middle of . And then there was the whole ordeal with her purse the next day.

Sulli was trying to put it all behind her. But sometimes a simple object like a lamp would conjure up memories of her and Minho and she still couldn't looking at anything related to weddings. All in all, she was trying to put everything even remotely related to the two brothers behind her. She couldn't spend the rest of her life torn up over Taemin and she wouldn't spend the rest of her life feeling ashamed of her action towards Minho.

"Not feeling so good today, boss?" Asked Park Sooyoung aka Sulli's assistant, handing Sulli one cup of the two coffees in her hand.

"I'm all right." Said Sulli and she looked down at what the younger girl was wearing. She grinned at Sooyoung. "I'm loving that red skirt." Sulli commented.

"Too bad I'm never going to have the long legs to carry it off like you, boss." Sooyoung pouted, frowning at her lack of height.

"But you're young dear. I feel like a spinster already at age 26 next to you and your trendy outfits." Said Sulli, chuckling.

"We've got to go shopping together sometime, then!" Sooyoung enthusiastically told Sulli. "Geez boss, you've practically got a supermodel's body, you could wear whatever you wanted."

Sulli rolled her eyes but was pleased nonetheless by Sooyoung's compliment. Sooyoung wasn't trying to up and that's what Sulli loved about her. Sooyoung's bluntness was astounding and she wasn't afraid to tell her boss the way things were instead of sugarcoating it. Everything she said was so refreshingly sincere and honest.

"Anyway, Manager Kwon wants to see you in her office. She said she had something very important to tell you." Sooyoung told Sulli with urgent tone in her voice, making Sulli frowned. Why did her boss need to see her so urgently?

"Thanks Sooyoung. Give me a second." Sulli gathered her sketches, putting them into her portfolio before stuffing it all into her bag.

Falling into stride with her boss, Sooyoung grinned up at Sulli like a child. There was a reason the young intern had so ardently begged to be Sulli's assistant. Because Sulli was the most talented and skilled interior decorator in the company and everyone knew it.

Both ladies rounded the corner when something very solid collided with them.

"OH!"

All papers in someone's hands flew up into the air and with growl that person immediately bent down to retrieve them. "Watch where you're going next time!" Hissed Naeun.

"You should take your own advice, Naeun." Sulli retorted sharply. Not even sparing the other interior decorator a glance, Sulli maneuvered her way around Naeun's sketches, careful not to step on any of them out of courtesy.

"You'd better not step on any of my designs!" Naeun snarled, looking more frazzled and frustrated than usual.

"Like I'd want to get my shoes dirty with your designs and in your case, I use the term design very loosely." Sulli replied coldly, glaring at Naeun.

Naeun was one of the nine other interior decorators that worked at the same company. Out of all of them, Sulli disliked her the most. Naeun was rude, arrogant and the vainest person Sulli had ever met.

Naeun also despised Sulli but in no way would she ever admit it was because she was jealous of Sulli's obvious success in the industry.

Naeun flipped her hair over her shoulder as she sent Sulli an unreadable look before sauntering in the opposite direction.

"She has the worst attitude ever." Sooyoung scoffed. "You know earlier today she was bragging and going on and on about how she was on a date with the hottest bachelor last night. She made it a point to tell everyone how he was so into her and how none of us could ever dream of a guy like him. She showed off his picture too." Sooyoung rolled her eyes, regaling the whole event to Sulli.

"What does he look like?" Asked Sulli.

"She wasn't lying. He was a very fine and y man. Tall, dark, and handsome." Sooyoung let out an annoyed sigh while twiddling her brown hair around her fingers.

They finally reached the gilded door frame that was the entrance to her boss' office. Sulli took a deep breath and instantly transformed into business mode, gently she knocked on the door.

"Come in!"

Sooyoung silently mouthed a good luck word as Sulli entered.

"Ssul! My favorite girl in the whole wide world. How have you been, my dear?" Exclaimed Manager Kwon, standing up to give Sulli a quick hug.

"Good, boss. And you?"

"Good, good. So let's get down to business, shall we? A huge company has just hired us to do their interior renovation and I mean big. This is a ten billion won contract, darling. They want a completely new image for their 35 story building." Said Manager Kwon.

Sulli's heart leaped at the sheer amount. Ten billion!!

"The thing is.... I'm not too sure if you should be the one to handle this case, Sulli." Said Manager Kwon anxiously, snapping Sulli out of her state of excitement as she imagined herself handling this huge project.

"What?"

"I don't think you should handle this one. It might be better if Naeun or someone else handled it…." Manager Kwon trailed off apprehensively.

"I am the best designer you have, boss." Sulli bristled. She was the best designer in this entire company and everyone knew it. So what the hell was her boss thinking?

"I know it dear but this isn't about skill."

"What do you mean it's not about skill?! I bring in more revenue than all of your other designers combined! All your customers ask for me!" Sulli was desperately trying to control her anger and her sentences were coming out a lot choppier and rough than she would have liked. "Boss, I want this deal. I am going to have this deal because you said it yourself, I have the skill to do this. If you are going to give this deal to someone else, I will leave. And I will take all my loyal customers with me." It was a threat, and a powerful one at that. Sulli was not going to let this opportunity to slip through her hands and go to a less skilled designer. No, it wasn't gonna happen.

"Alright, you want the deal but don't you even want to know what company you'll be signing this contract with?" Said Manager Kwon as she smiled with something she knew but Sulli didn't.

Sulli ignored it. She was too riled up about the blow to her skill. "I don't care what company it is. If you don't trust my ability to handle this deal, I quit."

Sulli knew this might be going a bit far but it was something she had been thinking over for a while. She couldn't just live her life as an employee forever. She wanted to make a name for herself, she would have much more control and be more financially stable.

Manager Kwon's eyebrows rose but she wasn't too surprised. "Anymore demands, princess?" She asked, completely relaxed.

Sulli shook her head. She wanted this job so bad. The salary, the satisfaction, the prestige, it was what she lived for.

"You promise you will carry this deal out to the end no matter what? Because if you don't, your contract here at Daylight is immediately terminated." Manager Kwon unnecessarily explained.

But it made Sulli frowned. What was her boss doing by telling her about the terminated contract? She already knew all this, what made her boss think she wouldn't carry this through to the end?

"That's a given, boss. Just tell me the name and address of the building. I'll be over there this afternoon to set up the contract." Sulli relaxed, letting the success flow through her veins. This was it. This would be the major turning point in her career.

With a wry and somewhat sympathetic smile, Manager Kwon said in a soft but clear voice, "You'll be redecorating the Shinin' Towers, Sulli."

For the first time since Taemin's wedding, Sulli felt her heart stop. Shinin' Towers, the business conglomeration owned and operated by Minho and Taemin's family. No. Fate couldn't be that cruel to her but looking at Manager Kwon's sad but serious gaze, Sulli knew that it could be.

The tension in the room crackled with silence and unease until finally Sulli gave a weak but reassuring smile to her boss. "I'll be leaving now to set up the appointment. And don't worry boss, I treat my profession more serious than anything else."

 

Sulli trudged her way back to her office, her mind blank and she could feel herself beginning to panic. Outwardly, no one noticed a thing. It wasn't until she reached her office and firmly locked the door that she let out the breath she was holding. Sulli ran her hands through her hair to calm the hurricane of emotions going through her.

The business card she received from Manager Kwon lay face down on her desk.

Minho Choi.
CEO of Shinin' Financial Group.

Sulli blew out a frustrated sigh. She was starting to believe that there was something really wrong with her fate.

- - - -

Later that afternoon, Sulli found herself was standing frozen like a statue in front of the high building of Shinin' Towers.

Panic was flooding through her again. The frighteningly calm façade she had back in the taxi ride on the way over was rapidly falling apart. She was seriously considering bolting and thinking that it wouldn't be such a terrible experience to be fired.

Not a chance in hell! She is going to get this ten billion won contract and when she's done with this project, this place will look damn good that they won't know what hit them.

Screw Taemin and Minho!

Breathing heavily, holding her head up high Sulli exuded confidence as she walked through

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter