The Housekeeper [Mashikyu]

YG Treasure Stories Box

Main pair: Mashikyu (Mashiho & Junkyu)

 

Genre: comedy, drama, slightangst | Hotel!au

 

Description: During his stay at a hotel, Kim Junkyu encounters Mashiho, a Japanese housekeeper who just wants to quit his job. Things end up a little bit too far than supposed to.

 

Main characters: Mashiho, Junkyu

Supporting characters: Yedam, Hyunsuk, Jihoon, Jeongwoo, Jaehyuk, Doyoung

Cameo; mentioned: Haruto, Seunghun; Yoshinori

 


 

A/N: Yedam’s birthday is actually in May, but for the sake of the storyline, let’s pretend it’s in January :> This story is extremely long so prepare yourself and get comfy, enjoy!

 


Mashiho

 

Mashiho sighed as his heavy footsteps came to a halt. His gaze flew up towards the tall, luxury building before him. Above that building was a winter sky as gloomy as the boy’s tired face.

 

Here we go again.

 

He stretched his lips into a forced smile, fixed the strap of his bag on his shoulder and made his way into the building, not forgetting to greet the security guards with his friendly grin.

 

“Clean up well today, Mashi,” one of the guards said after scanning the young man and his bag with a metal detector. “Or wipe those eyebags off first.”

 

Mashiho grinned bashfully and rubbed his sleepy eye as the playful-looking guard snickered at him. Sometimes he still wondered why anyone would hire that kind of guard.

 

“Will do, Hyunsuk hyung. Have fun scanning people all day,” Mashiho winked.

 

“Ugh, don’t remind me.” The guard – Choi Hyunsuk, as his nametag said – sent the younger male away with a small wave and a bright beam of smile.

 

Moments later, Mashiho found himself pushing a cart filled with cleaning tools down a corridor, with rows of doors on his left and right, warm yellow lights above his head, and soft brown carpets below his feet. He stopped in front of one of the doors, fished out a keycard from his pocket and opened the said door, revealing a messy yet unoccupied big hotel room. Everything was disorganized, as if a mini hurricane had passed by in that room.

 

“Gosh, help me.” Mashiho blew out a big sigh before proceeding to clean the room.

 

Yes, Takata Mashiho, the young Japanese boy, was a hotel housekeeper… somewhere in the capital city of South Korea instead of his home country. He had questioned his life decisions way too many times.

 


Junkyu

 

“Hello! Ah, I mean, see you!”

 

A tall, tweenty-year-old male with a bright smile laughed at his own clumsiness as he waved goodbye at a small group of friends, dragging his big suitcase towards a black sedan that had been waiting for him. Next to the car was a man in suit, holding a big sign that said “Kim Junkyu”.

 

“Mr. Kim Junkyu?” The man asked.

 

“Yes, and you’re Park Jihoon, Yedam’s new driver, right? Nice to meet you. Ah, just a tip. Next time you pick someone up at the airport, you should wait at the exit instead of in the parking lot. Nobody’s going to see the sign you’re holding if you just stand here, you know?” Junkyu laughed as he struggled to put his suitcase in the trunk, while the said new driver gaped and nodded to himself at the explanation, not bothering to give a hand.

 

“Oof, so heavy.” Junkyu huffed and fixed his beret once he had successfully moved his stuff into the car. Glancing at the insensitive driver, he playfully threw a sarcastic remark, “Thanks a lot for your help, Park Jihoon.”

 

“Oh,” the driver snapped out of his trance, “No problem, no problem.”

 

Geez, what kind of guy did Yedam hire now? Pouting secretly, Junkyu entered the car and decided to let it slide. He was tired after travelling for two weeks in Japan, on his long winter college break. And now, instead of going straight home, he was going to have a stay at a five-star hotel for his best friend’s birthday party. Bang Yedam was more than a childhood friend to him, but like a brother, so he was going to help with the preparation. In exchange, this wealthy friend gave him a free room for four nights. His very anticipated birthday party would be on the third night.

 

“Candies?” Jihoon offered a box of sweets, reaching back towards the back seat. Junkyu blinked in surprise at the sudden friendly tone that the driver used. Wow, this new driver is totally different from the previous one.

 

“O-Oh, thanks,” Junkyu chuckled, taking a piece of candy from the box. Jihoon then picked one for himself and popped it into his mouth before turning up the MP3 player.

 

“Michyeogane naneun michyeogane~”

 

“It’s my favorite song,” the driver snickered, and then sang, “this must be craaaazy looove~”

 

Junkyu blinked rapidly in his seat as the driver began to bob his head to the song. The car gradually went faster and faster.

 

“A-Ah, nice voice, but please drive carefully!” Junkyu clutched the back of the driver’s seat.

 

“Don’t worry, Sir, you’re safe with me!” Jihoon made an ‘OK’ sign with his fingers and continued to sing, multiple times swerving left and right much to the passenger’s poor heart.

 

A few minutes later, Junkyu blew out a big sigh of relief through his gawking mouth as they stopped at their destination.

 

“I may have to talk to Yedam,” he breathed out, clutching his chest.

 

“Yes, you have to. But boss Yedam isn’t here yet, so you can rest.” Jihoon flashed an innocent grin through the rearview mirror.

 

“That’s not what I—nevermind. Thank you, Jihoon-ssi.” Junkyu smiled anyway.

 

“Also, you’re all checked in and your room is ready. Here’s the key card.” Jihoon handed a card to his boss’ friend.

 

Junkyu took the card and frowned. “This is a coffee shop membership card.”

 

“Oops, sorry. Wrong card.” Jihoon snatched the card back and handed the right card. “It’s expensive. Surely not gonna work on the door, huh?”

 

Both males chuckled awkwardly until Junkyu decided to just go inside the hotel so he could rest his body and mind. At least this time he had a bellman to help him with his suitcase.

 

“So, 25th floor… 2503… Ah, this way.” Junkyu followed a direction and walked down the corridor towards his room. Right when he found it, a small housekeeper guy came out of the room next door carrying a bundle of towels. In a second their eyes met, and the housekeeper immediately greeted with a polite bow and a warm smile.

 

“Good day, Sir, have a nice stay.”

 

Junkyu’s eyes fell on the housekeeper’s big ears, toothy smile and pretty round eyes, and an image of a fluffy hamster instantly popped out in his head, making him chuckle. He thought, this little man’s features were somewhat different from most Korean males.

 

“Thank you, have a nice day,” Junkyu beamed as he unlocked the door. His jaw dropped as soon as he turned his gaze and got a clear view of the room. “What—This room is way too big for myself! Aish, Bang Yedam. A single man shouldn’t stay here alone!”

 

Junkyu’s ear caught a small giggle behind him, so he turned around to see the housekeeper, giggling to himself while arranging his cleaning tools with his back facing the taller male.

 

Cute laugh, Junkyu unknowingly thought, the corner of his lips curving up into a lopsided smile. The bellman soon came with his suitcase, so he entered the room and closed the door after peeking at the housekeeper once again.

 

The lanky boy stood there in silence, flying his gaze across the room with his hands on his hips.

 

And all of a sudden he ran and tossed himself towards the king size bed.

 

“Waaahh!” Junkyu laughed and rolled around like a little child. Sure, he felt bad that his best friend had spent so much money on him for something so unnecessary, but there was no way he wouldn’t enjoy it.

 

However, the buzzing in the pocket of his jeans and his ringtone put his child-like action to a halt. He sat up straight and immediately answered the call when he saw the caller ID.

 

“Bang Yedam! What have you done? I told you not to spend so much money on me!” He yelled.

 

“But you like it, right? I could see you roll around in bed just now.”

 

Yedam laughed at the other end of the line, while Junkyu turned his head around in panic, trying to spot some hidden cameras.

 

“How did you know? Did you install CCTVs here? Hey! What if I had taken my clothes off?? You’d better not keep any weird footages—”

 

“Calm down, calm down!” Yedam cackled. “There are no CCTVs. I just knew you’d do that when you saw the room.”

 

“Are you sure?” Junkyu got up to check the corners, just in case. “Okay, I trust you.”

 

“You’re making it seem like I’ve never seen you ,” Yedam said.

 

Junkyu facepalmed recalling their fun yet absurd childhood together. “Don’t remind me. But still…” He bowed his head and smiled to himself. “Thank you, Yedam.”

 

“Don’t mention it. I should be thanking you for helping me, like always.” Junkyu could hear a grin in Yedam’s voice. “Let’s meet at 5 in Hall B on the third floor, okay? We can go grab dinner together when we’re done.”

 

“Sure!”

 

Plans settled, Junkyu took his time enjoying the soft mattress before rewarding himself with a nice, warm shower. The handsome young man looked much more refreshed once he put on a clean baby blue button-up shirt, neatly tucked in his pants with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. This time he left his favorite beret on the table and didn’t put much effort in styling his deep black, middle-parted hair.

 

On his way down the corridor, Junkyu spotted a housekeeping cart in front of one of the doors, and his mind flew back to the adorable male housekeeper he had run into earlier. The guy had left quite a strong impression because of his smile, which, in Junkyu’s opinion, was pleasant to look at.

 

Is he still here? It must be boring to work around here all day, he thought. But he shrugged it off when a middle-aged lady came out of the room instead of the expected guy. Maybe they’re working in shifts.

 

And so, Junkyu continued his way to the third floor, where his best friend had been waiting for him. The housekeeper was fast gone from his mind as the two got busy with the party planning – which consisted thirty percent actual planning and seventy percent goofing around.

 

 

Later, that night…

 

Junkyu trudged his way back to his room like a zombie. His hooded eyes teared up a bit as his mouth opened wide for a huge yawn. His jaw was hurting from laughing so much that night because of the unexpected addition of people at dinner – they had run into their friends, Jaehyuk and Jeongwoo, as well as Jeongwoo’s Japanese friend, Haruto. And, man… weren’t the trio basically a group of true born comedians. After the five of them had filled their bellies with some nice meals, Junkyu had found himself unable to say no when he was dragged to a karaoke even though he had been worn out already.

 

With his eyes barely open, Junkyu slipped into his room and clumsily swung his hand to switch on the “do-not-disturb” sign. He managed to kick off his black jeans, but his hands gave up with ing his shirt down to the third button.

 

Screw it, he thought, climbing into bed and slipping into the sheets. Not longer than five minutes, he had drifted off to a deep slumber.

 

Boy, had he failed to notice that he had switched on the wrong sign…

 


Mashiho

 

“Wow, good morning, Mazombie. You feeling okay?”

 

Hyunsuk eyed the housekeeper in concern. He looked pale and his eyebags seemed darker than usual.

 

“I don’t know, hyung. Maybe I’ll feel better soon.” Mashiho shrugged and sighed.

 

“Don’t push yourself too hard, kiddo. Nobody’s gonna find out soon enough if you pass out in the guest room,” the guard warned.

 

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll get going now, hyung.” Mashiho gave a weak salute to the older male.

 

“See you around,” Hyunsuk said.

 

Contrary to what he had said, Mashiho wasn’t feeling any better. The corridors seemed to be spinning in his sight. And apparently he didn’t look too good from the outside either, because he had successfully made a couple of worried guests give him a little “pocket money” out of pity.

 

“Guess being sick isn’t so bad,” Mashiho chuckled to himself weakly, shoving the money into his pocket. He stopped his cart in front of the next door with the “make-up-room” sign on.

 

2503.

 

Mashiho remembered, it was the room occupied by the friendly guest who had greeted him the day before. A tall, handsome one who somehow looked like a koala when he smiled. A handsome koala with long, lean legs that made him seem even taller. Like, he looked seventy five percent legs. This guest seemed to be a funny guy, judging from how naturally expressive he was.

 

“Hmm… Is he inside?” Mashiho mumbled to himself before pressing the doorbell. Following the standard rule, he waited for some time to see if the guest was present. Just to make sure, he rang the doorbell once again.

 

And once again.

 

And once again.

 

No answers.

 

At this point, Mashiho knew the room was empty and that he didn’t have to ring the bell multiple times. But for some strange reasons, he found himself uneasy to open the door.

 

Nevertheless, ignoring that strange feeling, he grabbed his keycard and allowed himself in.

 

Everything in that room looked almost untouched as if it was unoccupied, except for the pair of jeans dumped on the floor and the messy bed – there was a big bundle in the middle of the king size bed, and the sheets were all pulled to the center covering that big bundle. Mashiho assumed the pillows were all piled up under the sheets, since none of them could be seen anywhere.

 

And so, after he was done cleaning the bathroom, unhesitatingly the housekeeper boy tugged the pile of sheets off the bed.

 

And his scream almost broke in the air – if not for his hand that was faster to cover his own mouth.

 

“WHAH---!”

 

There, the koala guy – that’s what Mashiho would call him at the moment – was all curled up surrounded by the pillows, sleeping soundly like a baby with his lips slightly parted. His hair was pushed up exposing his clear forehead and sharp eyebrows, his messy shirt was ed down to the third button, and his lower part was covered by a mere pair of white boxer briefs.

 

At that instant Mashiho felt his blood shoot up to his head, his face heated up and his field of sight began to spin like crazy.

 

Beautiful.

 

The single word came across his mind before it completely went blank.

 

The ill housekeeper passed out with a loud thud…

 

And the guest continued on sleeping beautifully.

 


Junkyu

 

Junkyu cracked his heavy eyes open when his phone’s alarm went off for the tenth time. His throat felt dry. The curled lanky body then stretched open like a starfish as he yawned, kicking the pillows to the edge of the bed.

 

“Mmm. I’m probably too late for breakfast.” The twenty-year-old male rubbed his eyes with his fist. “Five more minutes then.”

 

Junkyu closed his eyes, just to shoot them back open when suddenly he remembered his plan with Yedam the night before.

 

“Doyoung is coming tomorrow morning to help us. Should we have breakfast together? Let’s meet at 9.”

 

Junkyu turned pale when he saw the time in the top corner of the screen. 8:40.

 

“Gosh, twenty minutes!” he sprang off the bed in a blink of an eye and dashed towards the bathroom, but not more than two steps, his foot crashed into something big and hard. The long body helplessly collapsed onto the object he had stumbled on.

 

“WHA—OOF!” The half boy turned his head to see what was the thing he was lying on.

 

And the moment he saw a human head, his loud screech exploded in the air.

 

“GAAAAAHH! HELP!” Junkyu crawled away hurriedly and pressed his back against the wall, his eyes bulging out and his hand covering his gawking mouth.

 

“D-D-Dead body?! How did it get here? What happened?!” The poor boy clutched his head in panic. “Did I do this? Oh no, did I murder someone?”

 

Despite being scared and having massive goosebumps, Junkyu crawled closer cautiously to get a good look of the idle body.

 

“…No… No no, it’s him! Oh no, it’s the housekeeper!” Junkyu looked around being lost in his panic state, and noticed that the door was still open. The housekeeping cart was still there outside the room.

 

“No, no one can see this.” The boy got up to close the door, not even bothering to put on his pants. “What about this cart? This can’t be left here, can it? People will be suspicious. Let’s… Let’s bring this in. Dear CCTVs, please don’t look at me.” Junkyu pulled the cart into the room carefully and shut the door. Just then could he breathe out a sigh in relief.

 

“Ah, how could this happen…” Junkyu bit his fingers, before deciding to move the housekeeper to the bed. Carefully he scooped the smaller male up in his arms and laid him in bed.

 

“Oof, small but heavy.” He brought his finger close to the unconscious boy’s nostrils to check if he was still breathing.

 

“Oh… Oh, thank goodness. You’re still alive. I thought I’ve killed you.” Junkyu rubbed his own chest in relief. At this point, he had totally forgotten about breakfast with his friends. His head cocked to the side and his eyebrows knitted together as he observed the unconscious boy’s pale face, then brushed his bangs aside, pressing the back of his hand on his forehead.

 

“Ah… I get it. You’re sick. Did you pass out while cleaning here? Oh, but didn’t I switch on the ‘do-not-disturb’ sign last night?” The guest went on to check the sign, just to make sure, and finally realized that he had pressed the wrong button. “Aish, no wonder! I switched on the ‘make-up-room’ sign by mistake.” He slapped his own forehead.

 

Suddenly his phone rang, making him jump in surprise. Just then did he remember about breakfast.

 

“H-Hello? Yedamie! I-I’m sorry, I think I have to skip breakfast. There’s… ah, something urgent came up.”

 

“What’s wrong? Do you need any help? Doyoung is here already, should we come to your room?”

 

“N-NO! No, please don’t. Just enjoy your meal, you two. I’m totally fine, just… j-just urgent toilet business, you know?” Junkyu cracked an awkward cackle. “And I don’t think I will be done any time soon.”

 

“Ah, is it diarrhea? You ate a lot last night.” Yedam laughed, sounding relieved, and so Junkyu was relieved too. “Get better soon, hyung. Come here if you still have time, we can wait.”

 

“It’s okay, don’t wait for me—” Junkyu covered his mouth and faked a loud farting sound. “Ah, ow… my stomach hurts… Sorry, Yedam, I have to hang up now. See you guys later!”

 

I’m sorry for lying! Junkyu winced and hung up the call without waiting for his buddy’s response. He returned to his bed and looked at the housekeeper in confusion.

 

“What do I do? If I report this, will you get in trouble? Should I just let you rest here?” Junkyu paced back and forth. His eyes then fell on a glass of water on the table. Absentmindedly, he grabbed it and splashed a small amount of water on the housekeeper’s face.

 

As expected, he didn’t budge.

 

“This is not working.” Junkyu put the glass away and wiped the other male’s face with a piece of tissue. “Sorry about that, buddy.”

 

Recalling how his mother used to treat him whenever he had a fever, Junkyu went to the bathroom and soaked a towel in cold water. He then squeezed the excess water off and laid the damp cold towel on the housekeeper’s burning forehead.

 

“That’s all I can do.” Junkyu sat on the edge of the bed and quietly observed the pale face. “You look so young, though. We could be the same age.”

 

Pretty handsome as well.

 

What, there’s nothing wrong with admitting that, right?

 

After ten minutes of waiting and still no changes, Junkyu decided to wash up quickly. His stomach was protesting for food, but his mind told it off to be quiet, persisting to stay in the room until the housekeeper came to consciousness.

 

Around fifteen minutes later, Junkyu stepped out of the bathroom, wearing a pair of black jeans and with his torso uncovered. He was too busy ruffling his wet hair with his towel that he was a few seconds late to realize the figure standing in the middle of the room, with a look of horror on his face.

 

“Oh—”

 

“Ah—”

 

Both males froze at the sight of each other.

 

“I-I’m terribly sorry!” Suddenly the young housekeeper bowed ninety degrees, causing Junkyu to drop his jaw in shock. “I should have been more careful, please accept my apology!”

 

Hurriedly Junkyu went to the housekeeper, held him by the shoulders and straightened him up from his bowing position. The shorter male looked up with his damp, fearful big eyes, his face still pale but his cheeks somewhat flushed.

 

“It’s okay. Don’t be scared.” Junkyu offered a warm smile. “Do you feel better now?”

 

“Y-Yes, thank you for taking care of me. I’ll continue cleaning now.” The sick housekeeper boy bowed his head in embarrassment.

 

“No, rest for a bit. What if you faint again?” Junkyu chuckled as he ushered the shorter male to sit on the edge of the bed, which required a little effort and convincing. “What’s your name? I’m Kim Junkyu.”

 

Junkyu reached out his hand for a handshake, and the seemingly shy housekeeper took it in a weak grip. “Mashiho.”

 

“Oh?” Junkyu’s eyebrows raised in surprise. “That name… Are you Japanese, by any chance?”

 

Mashiho nodded, avoiding eye contact at all cost. Junkyu had failed to notice the slight discomfort on his face, which was most likely because of the fact that he was still shirtless.

 

Indeed he seemed skinny, but his body sure wasn’t flat. His hard work at the gym was finally starting to show a sweet result.

 

“Whoa, your Korean is really good! So you’re not from here… No wonder you look different.” Junkyu covered his gaping mouth in awe, while Mashiho lifted his head and gave the Korean boy a questioning look.

 

“Different?” he asked, starting to think that probably it meant he was ugly compared to Koreans.

 

“Yes, different,” Junkyu nodded and beamed, “you’re more good-looking than typical Korean guys.”

 

Apparently Junkyu hadn’t thought of his words carefully, because suddenly he looked flustered after realizing what he had just said.

 

“Ah, that came out a bit too straightforward,” he mumbled, tapping his own lips as if scolding them.

 

On the other hand, Mashiho bowed his head and bit his bottom lip to hold his shy grin. “Thank you, Sir.”

 

“Don’t be so formal, I’m still young,” Junkyu laughed. “I’m only 21 this year.”

 

“Well… Still older than me.” Mashiho chuckled shyly at yet another shocked face Junkyu made. “One year older.”

 

“Wow… You’re still young but you work this far from home,” Junkyu said in awe.

 

“It’s complicated.” Mashiho’s smile seemed bitter to the older, but he saw no chance to ask further, as the Japanese boy didn’t seem so comfortable opening up to a stanger. “I’m sorry, I should get back to work. Thank you for being nice to me.”

 

“Let me help,” the Korean boy said, surprising the other. He proceeded to arrange the pillows neatly, like how they had looked first time he had come.

 

“No, please don’t. It’s my job.” Mashiho held the pillow in Junkyu’s hands to stop his action. “I’ll—I’ll change the sheets, since I lay down on them.”

 

A hurt look boldly took over Junkyu’s facial expression hearing the sheepish remark. “So what if you lay down on them? I also lay down on them, what’s the difference? Let them be, they’re still pretty much clean.”

 

No more words were said between the two males, yet their hands continued on working together to make the bed. Junkyu himself was secretly taken aback by his own scolding. The playful Kim Junkyu rarely scolded anyone.

 

“I’m done for now. Thank you for your help, Junkyu-ssi, I’m sorry for troubling you. Have a nice day.” Mashiho bowed before pushing his cart out the room.

 

Acting out of a strange sudden urge, Junkyu said, “Wait! Don’t leave yet.”

 

The Japanese turned his head back and asked, “Yes? Can I help you?”

 

WHY did I do that? Junkyu’s mouth opened and closed as he couldn’t come up with any excuses.

 

Until an invisible light bulb popped out in his head.

 

The Korean boy shoved his hand into a pocket in his suitcase and fished out a small bag of medicines, took a strip and handed it to the housekeeper boy.

 

“Here, for your fever. Go home and rest as soon as you can. Okay?”

 

Mashiho stood flabbergasted, staring at the medicines with his round eyes instead of taking them. So the taller boy shoved the strip of medicines into the pocket of his shirt and turned him around facing the corridor.

 

“See you around, Mashiho. Take care and get well soon.”

 


Mashiho

 

Mashiho felt his cheeks getting warm; he wasn’t sure whether it was because of his fever, or because of the comforting squeeze on his shoulders, or because of the medicines in his pocket.

 

Either ways, he hadn’t thanked the sweet guest for the medicines.

 

“…Thank you, Junkyu-ssi!” he said through the closed door.

 

His head was still trobbing, but it was worse this time – his chest was kind of throbbing too.

 

“So what if you lay down on them? I also lay down on them, what’s the difference? Let them be, they’re still pretty much clean.”

 

In the whole three years Mashiho had lived in Korea, no one had treated him better than Kim Junkyu had treated him in that very short moment.

 

And it made him feel… Happy. Or maybe excited, he didn’t know why.

 

He stared at the strip of white tablets and smiled to himself.

 

“Koala.”

 

 

Later, that day…

 

It was time to finish the shift. Mashiho put on his coat and slung his bag over his shoulder, getting ready to leave the hotel.

 

As he made his way out, he ran into the smiley guard Choi Hyunsuk, who had finished his shift too.

 

“Hey, kiddo! Your face looks much brighter now. What’s with that smile? Saw something fun in the guest room?” Hyunsuk teased, wiggling his eyebrows.

 

“Nothing fun.” Mashiho grinned. “But I got this.”

 

Hyunsuk tilted his head to the side seeing the strip in Mashiho’s hand. “Medicines? Where did you get them from?”

 

“A nice guest gave them to me.” The housekeeper boy smiled, his cheeks once again feeling warm – particularly because of the image of a certain shirtless koala flashing in his mind.

 

Hyunsuk eyed the younger male, smiling in suspicion. “Why do you look so happy? Was it a y woman? Hey, that smile is so obvious! You look like a lovestruck kid.”

 

“Huh? No, hyung, you misunderstand!” Mashiho laughed, waving his hand. “It was a guy.”

 

“A guy… What did he do?? Did you get molested or something? Don’t tell me it’s an old ert, damn, telll me his room number—”

 

“No!” Mashiho laughed. “Nothing bad happened. Don’t come to his room. He’s just a good guy around my age.” The boy looked around before whispering, “Don’t tell anyone, but I fainted in his room.”

 

Hyunsuk gasped. “I told you so!”

 

“Sshh!” Mashiho pressed his index finger on his own lips. “He took care of me. Don’t tell anyone. He moved me from the floor to the bed.”

 

Hyunsuk’s eyebrows raised comically and his mouth opened wide as if he had just discovered something very interesting. Then a mischievous look took over his face. “Did he sleep next to you then?”

 

“What—Nooo… How could you think of that, hyung!” Mashiho shoved the older male away in embarrassment, a tint of pink spreading on his cheeks.

 

He really didn’t want to imagine that, but the image still flashed in his mind anyway.

 

“Was he handsome? Nice body?” Hyunsuk continued on teasing. Eventually his laugh exploded seeing how hard Mashiho tried to straighten things up. He gave the boy no mercy as they walked together to a small ramyun restaurant nearby to have early dinner.

 

“The usual, ma’am! Two bowls please!” Hyunsuk ordered, then went back on teasing his younger friend. “What’s his name again? Kim Junkyu?”

 

“Can we stop talking about that?” Mashiho whined.

 

Without their knowledge, a baby-faced man in suit sitting behind them had frozen while halfway slurping his ramyun into his mouth.

 

Huh? Kim Junkyu? Isn’t it boss Yedam’s friend whom I picked up?

 

It was Park Jihoon the driver, on his free time. He sharpened his ears after catching the familiar name.

 

“How can we stop talking about that? Your face always turns red whenever I say that name!” Hyunsuk laughed. “Look, I think you like him.”

 

“”N-No! That’s nonsense, hyung, how can I like a guy who was just being kind to me? Stop,” Mashiho whined, half laughing in embarrassment.

 

“Eeeyy… Who said it’s ‘like’ in a romantic way? You can like a nice person without having any special feelings! Hah, got you!” Hyunsuk cackled madly.

 

“Ahhh hyung! Stop teasing me!”

 

“Mashiho is having a crush~ Kim Junkyu, Kim Junkyu, Kim Junkyu!”

 

“Stoooop!”

 

Whoa. Jihoon gawked at his bowl. This is big news. I’ve discovered a diamond. If I tell boss Yedam about this, I may get extra pocket money or even free food. Yes.That’s what I’m going to do. Wow, I’m so damn smart.

 

Jihoon lifted his bowl and poured everything left in it into his mouth, got up from his seat and hurried out the humble place. He took his phone out of his pocket and proceeded to call his boss.

 

“Hello? Jihoon-ssi, what is it?”

 

“Boss! I have something important to tell you. This is urgent, an emergency. It’s related to your friend Kim Junkyu,” Jihoon spoke rapidly, making it seem like a real urgent situation.

 

“W-What do you mean? Junkyu hyung is here with me… laughing his head off. He’s just fine,” Yedam said, starting to sound anxious. Junkyu’s loud cackles could be heard in the background.

 

“No, listen carefully, boss. It’s not related to what he’s doing right now, but it could be related to his future,” Jihoon emphasized his every word.

 

“His future? W-What are you talking about?” Yedam asked.

 

“I’ve… just… overheard… something important.” Jihoon heaved a long sigh. “Two guys were talking about him.”

 

From how the volume of the noises in the background subsided, it seemed like Yedam had moved away to a quieter place. “Two guys? Did they look dangerous? Were they planning something bad? Quick explain everything, I need to protect Junkyu hyung if it’s something dangerous!”

 

“Well…” Jihoon his lips and brushed his hair back, a sly look playing on his face. “Will I get something if I tell you?”

 

“….Are you serious right now?? Stop—Fine, we can go have a nice dinner tonight. Just hurry and tell me.” Yedam huffed and mumbled, “What kind of guy did I hire?”

 

Yes! Jihoon pumped his fist in the air. “Thank you, boss.” He said as calmly as he could and cleared his throat. “Since it’s important, I think it shouldn’t be told on the phone.”

 

“Fine then, come to the third floor, hall B. Junkyu hyung may want to hear it directly from you.”

 

“Coming right up, boss.”

 


Junkyu

 

“Hyung.” A tap on his shoulder killed down Junkyu’s laughter. He had been laughing constantly due to Doyoung’s funny story about the two silly performers practicing on stage, who were their very own dear friends, Jaehyuk and Jeongwoo. They were trying to revise some of their unsafe jokes for their standup comedy.

 

“Hm?” Junkyu shifted his attention from the stage to his younger friend, a big smile still plastered on his face. However, that smile faltered slightly noticing the worry on Yedam’s face. “Is something wrong?”

 

“My driver called just now and told me there’s something urgent related to you and your future. He’s on his way here to tell us about it,” Yedam said.

 

Junkyu’s smile then completely transformed into a big gaping circle. “What? My future?” He blinked in confusion. “Like, the love of my life?”

 

Yedam’s brain stopped working for a second as he failed to understand his friend’s way of thinking. “I’m… not sure.” But, hmm… That could be it too. The confused boy scratched his head.

 

“Boss!” A loud yell coming from the hall’s entrance stole everyone’s attention. Panting hard, the very expected man came dashing in and stopped in front of Yedam, looking like he had just run a marathon.

 

“Is this dude a part of the birthday drama?” Jeongwoo asked from the stage, flipping the papers in his hand. “Or is he going to join our standup comedy? Because he comes in before we finish.”

 

“Yes, he should join,” Junkyu commented. “Really, he may do better as a comedian than a driver.”

 

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” Jihoon straightened up from his bending position and flashed a cheeky smile. “Oh, by the way, Junkyu-ssi. I overheard two guys talking about you, earlier at the ramyun restaurant across the street.”

 

“Oh, who could that be?” Doyoung asked, looking at the shocked Junkyu. “Do you know anyone around here?”

 

“I-I don’t think so,” Junkyu stammered, trying to work his brain and dig his memories. However, bad scenarios started to take over his mind that he couldn’t think properly.

 

“Someone is going to kidnap Junkyu hyung,” Jaehyuk remarked. “Jeongwoo, let’s be creative, we can make a joke out of it.”

 

“Woah… Great idea. You’re really a brilliant partner,” Jeongwoo said, high-fiving his partner.

 

“Kidnap me…” Junkyu shrank in his seat, clutching his beret. “But, I’m too troublesome to kidnap.”

 

“Eh… That’s not about it.” Jihoon waved his hand, then shifted his gaze to Yedam. “Boss, we’re really having a nice dinner tonight, right?”

 

“I feel like your driver is taking advantages,” Doyoung whispered to Yedam. “I told you, he seems suspicious even though he looks innocent.”

 

“He is taking advantages,” Yedam said under his breath, blowing his bangs up in annoyance. “Jihoon-ssi, this’d better be something really important.”

 

“It is important.” Jihoon nodded with an innocent puppy face. “Okay, I’ll tell you. So, there were two guys. One of them was teasing the other one, saying that this guy likes Kim Junkyu, has a crush on Kim Junkyu. Then the teased guy was like ‘aahh hyung~ don’t tease me!’” He mimicked the said guy with a high-pitched voice. “And he sounded cute and clingy like a young girl, but that’s not the point, but I think it’s true that he may have a crush!”

 

By the time the driver finished his rushed explanation, Junkyu’s mouth had opened wide at maximum, while Yedam had a flat expression on his face. None of them said a word.

 

“And… how is that related to his future?” Yedam asked, breaking the silence.

 

“Well,” Jihoon shrugged, “potential love may lead to a sweet future.”

 

Yedam threw a hand over his own face. “You took it way too far, Jihoon-ssi.”

 

“It could be a different Kim Junkyu, though,” Doyoung said, getting nods from the other boys.

 

“D-Do you know who they are?” Junkyu asked the driver, being jittery.

 

“I don’t know, sorry.” Jihoon showed an apologetic look. “They were sitting behind me, so I didn’t see their faces.”

 

“Ah… Okay, then.” Junkyu sighed dejectedly. He was dead curious.

 

But suddenly, a part of Jihoon’s memory was refreshed. The driver snapped his finger and exclaimed, “Mochiho! That one guy said ‘Mochiho is having a crush’!”

 

“What kind of name is that?” Jeongwoo and Jaehyuk cackled, slapping their knees. “Did he look like a mochi when he was born so his mama named him that?”

 

Meanwhile, Junkyu had frozen in his seat, as an image of a certain little hamster popped out in his head. “I-I think I know who you mean… but… It—IT CAN’T BE!”

 

The lanky boy proceeded to freak out and pace back and forth, confusing everyone else in the room.

 

“I told you, boss. It’s important,” Jihoon said with a smug smile, while Yedam went over to his older friend to calm him down. “Hellooo, sweet dinner. Heh. Finally a decent post on my Instagram soon.” The driver whistled in delight.

 

“Hyung, who’s the guy?” Yedam asked. “Do we know him?”

 

“No, no you don’t.” Junkyu sat back down and held onto his hat. He had no idea why he was even freaking out, but he knew it wasn’t exactly in a negative way. “It’s going to be awkward if I run into him again.”

 

“Is he a guest here?” Yedam asked.

 

Since all attention was on him then – even the comedian duo had come off the stage to listen to his matter – Junkyu decided to share about what had happened.

 

“Ah… Remember yesterday when I couldn’t come for breakfast and ‘farted’ on the phone? I’m so sorry, but I lied.”

 

And so, Junkyu told the others every details of how he had encountered Mashiho the Japanese housekeeper, how he had fainted in his room and how he had taken care of the sick boy.

 

“Wow… This is real good material for our performance, Jeongwoo,” Jaehyuk commented. “We’re safe for tomorrow night.”

 

“You guys should censor the names,” Doyoung said, afraid for Junkyu’s image.

 

“But hyung, I think you don’t have to worry about it,” Yedam said. “From Jihoon’s story, this Mashiho guy was just being teased. So we can’t be sure if he really has a crush on you. I mean… He’s a guy, right? Maybe he appreciated your kindness, so he told his friend about it, then his friend started teasing him.”

 

“You’re right.” Junkyu nodded. “Actually… It’d be nice if I can meet him again. Since he’s a year younger than me, I felt like I wanted to make friends with him. He could be a cute friend.”

 

“Aww, friendzoned,” Jaehyuk pouted.

 

“Not everything is about love,” Jeongwoo said in a wise tone, “but love is like toilets. It could exist anywhere although you don’t know it exists. You know, takes efforts to find it.”

 

Everyone looked at Jeongwoo in awe.

 

“It’s true, love stinks like toilets sometimes,” Jihoon added. “Also, if you fail to keep someone in your heart, it’s like flushing but the poop won’t go away. So what you see is only poop.”

 

Everyone fell silent.

 

“I don’t think he should join our comedy,” Jaehyuk said.

 

“Anyways, hyung.” Yedam cleared his throat, patting Junkyu’s shoulder. “It’s so you to make friends with anyone, so do it if you want. Let’s wrap up for today and have a nice dinner, shall we?”

 

“Yes, it’s about time,” Jihoon said, his eyes curving up into a happy smile.

 

Junkyu leaned closer to Yedam and whispered, “What kind of guy did you hire?”

 

“I also asked myself that,” the younger shrugged.

 

And so, the group left the hall and went out for dinner, with Junkyu’s mind constantly going back to the housekeeper. It wasn’t left unnoticed by his younger buddy – having noticed Junkyu’s troubled look, Yedam came to his room that night with a bag and a big smile, offering his company for the night.

 

“Need some company?”

 

His presence brought a little joy to Junkyu that night, to the point that they fell asleep being exhausted from laughing so much. The two childhood friends in their twenties held each other in their sleep, just like the old times.

 

 

The next morning…

 

The “make-up-room” sign outside Junkyu’s room was on. This time, not by accident.

 

As soon as his alarm went off the first time, Junkyu’s eyes were wide awake. Yedam was no longer there, because, as he had told him the previous night, he had to get up early and meet his parents who were coming to the hotel that morning.

 

With messy bed hair that looked like he had been struck by a lightning, Junkyu sat in bed and waited for the housekeeper to come. Right around thirty minutes later, the doorbell rang causing his heart to jump. He didn’t wait a second to jump off the bed and run to get the door.

 

And…

 

His heart dropped to his stomach when the person he saw wasn’t the little hamster he had been expecting.

 

“Good morning, can I clean your room now?” asked a housekeeper lady with a friendly smile. Junkyu found it rather hard to return the smile.

 

“Actually, I think my room is still pretty neat after being cleaned yesterday… I’m sorry, I will turn off the sign.” The boy bowed politely and waited for the lady to leave before closing the door.

 

Where is he? Junkyu let his back hit the door and blew his bangs up, feeling disappointed.

 

Nonetheless, he pushed that feeling aside and got ready, because he had lots of things to do for his best friend’s special day.

 


Mashiho

 

Mashiho wasn’t sure why, but he was so jittery that morning. He blamed Hyunsuk’s excessive teasing – ever since they had parted after dinner, all Mashiho could think of was the word “crush”.

 

He felt… brainwashed. Could he get brainwashed by too much teasing?

 

The Japanese boy gulped down the lump forming in his throat as he walked down the corridor on the twenty-fifth floor, looking for rooms he had to clean. It was almost noon – he had intentionally taken his time to clean rooms in another area before going there.

 

2503.

 

Neither the “do-not-disturb” nor the “make-up-room” sign was on. Mashiho’s gaze slowly fell to the floor. Could it be? There was a little disappointment, even though he tried to deny it. It was his own choice not to come earlier anyway.

 

Maybe he’s inside… Or maybe he has checked out already.

 

Suddenly the housekeeper boy felt lonely. His job wasn’t exactly a fun thing to do, since he could barely interact with anyone closely. Sometimes he wished he could quit the job. Which was something ironic, because years ago he had wanted that job so bad. He hadn’t learned housekeeping for nothing.

 

And yet, after going through it himself, he had come to a conclusion that it wasn’t exactly an ideal job for him.

 

Mashiho just wanted a friend who could help him survive the day, even though he had Hyunsuk to make him feel better at the end of the day.

 

And if he could choose, he wanted Kim Junkyu as his friend. Yes, Mashiho liked Junkyu and would love to talk to him again.

 

But now he didn’t know if he would ever see the giant koala again.

 


Junkyu

 

“Happy birthday…. To youuuu~”

 

Everyone clapped and cheered when Yedam blew out the many candles on his five-tier chocolate cake, eventually blowing harder and harder because the tiny flames wouldn’t die down.

 

“Everyone, let’s cheer for my boss! Bang Yedam! Bang Yedam!” Jihoon yelled through the golden microphone in his hand, followed by the sea of people in the hall. How could he end up there? Well, the free-spirited driver had somehow stolen the role as the MC from the moment they had started singing happy birthday. The real MC, Kim Seunghun, didn’t seem to mind at all. He took the chance to enjoy all the nice food before there could be none left for him. There were a lot of guests.

 

“Aish… What kind of candles are these!” Yedam complained.

 

“Those, my boss, are magic candles. Magic.” Jihoon’s lips puckered pronouncing the english word exaggeratedly. “To all close friends of Bang Yedam, please, come forward and help blow out the candles so it won’t take too long. Let’s be honest, we all wanna go home and sleep after all that good food, don’t we? Come, come, hurry. Junkyu-ssi, come blow the candles for a lucky love life.”

 

“Why am I the only one you mention!” Junkyu yelled with his loud voice among the crowd, yet still made his way to the front anyway, followed by a group of other boys.

 

“Okay everyone! We blow the candles together at the count of 3,” Junkyu said. “One, two, three… Haa-fuuuuu!”

 

“Yes, ladies and gentlemen, right now we are witnessing these cute blowfish splatter their sweet saliva onto the beautiful cake,” Jihoon said elegantly. “The luckiest guest tonight will surely get the first slice.”

 

The guests cringed and smiled awkwardly.

 

“Someone get the MC back,” Yedam wheezed.

 

The boys went from excited, to frustrated, to a laughing mess. After more friends came to help, they finally managed to blow out all the candles.

 

“Whoever came up with this idea, please no more for next time.” Yedam huffed. Jeongwoo and Jaehyuk secretly exchanged a guilty grin.

 

A moment later, Seunghun the MC came back to his spot with his dazzling smile and pushed Jihoon out the stage. “Now, the moment we’ve been waiting for has finally come. It’s time to PARTY! Everyone please welcome our handsome Japanese guy, DJ Haruto!”

 

“Whooooop!”

 

Half of the lights were switched off, replaced by colorful laser lights as the beat dropped and the guests began to dance.

 

Meanwhile, Junkyu’s mind had instantly flown away at the mention of “handsome Japanese guy”.

 

What is he doing right now? Is he home? That kid… How could he not show up? Did he pass out again in another room? Tsk, I gave him those medicines. It’s dangerous to pass out at random places like that, what if he’s found by a bad person?

 

Those worries made Junkyu unable to enjoy the party even though he wanted to. He was just glad that the birthday boy was busy enjoying the time of his life, so his troubled look was left unnoticed.

 

Or so he thought.

 

When the night fell and the hall began to seem quieter and emptier, Yedam went over to his troubled friend, giving him a gentle squeeze on the shoulder.

 

“Junkyu hyung, are you okay?” the birthday boy asked. “It’s your fourth glass of grape juice.”

 

The truth was, reading Junkyu was easy as reading an open book with bold letters and huge font size in capslock. Everything was displayed clearly on his face. And so, it was also clear to Yedam that Junkyu hadn’t expected him to notice there was something wrong.

 

“Oh, I-I’m sorry.” Junkyu put his glass away nervously.

 

“No, it’s okay if you like it.” Yedam chuckled, moving the glass back to its previous position. He sat down in front of the older and touched his forearm laid on the table. “Would you tell me?”

 

Junkyu sighed and pouted. “I’m sorry, I should have enjoyed the party with you.”

 

“You’ve helped me so much during the preparation, hyung, I can’t ask for more. Is it about the housekeeper?” the younger asked with a gentle tone. At times like this, it was unclear which one of them was the older one.

 

Junkyu nodded. “I’m worried something bad might have happened to him, because he didn’t show up to clean my room. I don’t know how to make sure he’s okay.”

 

“You really care about him.” Yedam smiled.

 

“Ah, uh… I-It’s nothing like that,” Junkyu waved his hands and tried to explain, “he was sick yesterday so I’m afraid he passed out again in someone’s room and a bad person did something bad to him. It-It could have happened like that!”

 

Contrary to the reaction Junkyu expected, Yedam laughed. “Or, it could be that he was cleaning another room. It’s not always the same person who cleans our rooms, you know?”

 

“Ah… I didn’t think of that.” The older rubbed his nape sheeepishly.

 

“If you’re still worried about him, how about you ask any housekeeper you see tomorrow if they know where he is? Maybe they can help,” Yedam said. “Or, you can stay for one more night so you can meet him.”

 

“No! You’ve spent enough on me. I still have tomorrow night, although it’s really okay to check out tomorrow… Yedamie, I’ll repay you when my turn comes.” Junkyu shot a guilty puppy look.

 

“Please, don’t. I want you to have enough rest.” Yedam opened his arms and took the older boy in his embrace.

 

The wealthy boy was always warm and his heart was soft. Somehow, he had that comforting touch of a mother that never failed to make Junkyu feel warm in his chest. A smile grew on his lips as he wrapped his arms around the birthday boy, while Yedam teared up a little bit feeling touched in the moment.

 

“Happy birthday, Yedamie.”

 


Mashiho

 

“Excuse me, do you know a housekeeper named Mashiho?”

 

Mashiho stopped abruptly and pressed his back flat against the wall when his big ears caught a familiar voice, mentioning his name. The unique voice that he kind of missed.

 

“Yes, I know. I ran into him a while ago. Is there something wrong, Sir?” A female voice answered. Mashiho recognized the voice as Mrs. Yoon’s, a kind middle-aged housekeeper lady who often worked on the twenty-fifth floor together with him.

 

“Oh, you did? So he’s okay…”

 

“Hmm, yes. He was sick two days ago, but yesterday he seemed much better. Do you happen to know him, Sir?” Mrs. Yoon asked.

 

“N-Not really, not that well. He was just… nice, yes, he was nice when cleaning my room.”

 

Mashiho covered his mouth to muffle his giggle. The guy sounded really nervous for no apparent reasons.

 

“Ah… Yes, Mashiho is a good and diligent boy. If you stick around a little bit longer, you may find him around here.” A smile could be heard in the lady’s voice. “Now, please excuse me, I will move on with my work.”

 

“Oh, s-sorry for interrupting you!”

 

“It’s okay, have a nice day, young Sir.”

 

Silence. All Mashiho could hear was his own heartbeat. Should I move or should I stay here a bit longer? His heart urged him to reveal himself, but his mind was too afraid of the possible awkwardness that might attack. He wasn’t exactly the best at handling awkward situations.

 

I’ll… I’ll just turn around—

 

“Hey.”

 

“WHAH!”

 

A hand landed on Mashiho’s shoulder from behind, making him jump and yell in surprise. His first reaction was to crouch down into a ball and clutch his chest.

 

“Ahahahaha.” A high-pitched, broken laugh came above his head. Indeed they had only had little interactions, but that voice was one of a kind, and the Japanese boy knew whom it belonged to.

 

“Mashiho.”

 

“Y-Yes. Junkyu-ssi.”

 

“Were you eavesdropping?”

 

“Um...”

 

“I could see the tip of your cart peeking around the corner, you know.”

 

“I-I-I’m sorry.”

 

A pair of gentle hands then held both his shoulders and lifted him up from his crouching position, turning him around to face a broad chest. The shy housekeeper raised his head slowly, until his field of sight was filled by a smiley koala-like face with middle-parted hair.

 

“Nice to see you again.” Junkyu beamed, and Mashiho breathed out a sigh in relief. The koala wasn’t angry. “Where to begin… Did you take the medicines I gave you?”

 

“Yes, I did.” Mashiho nodded and smiled. “Thank you, Junkyu-ssi. I felt better yesterday.”

 

“But I didn’t see you.” Junkyu tapped his own lips, pretending to think. “I the ‘make-up-room’ sign, but a different housekeeper came, so I told her she didn’t have to clean my room.”

 

Did he turn on the sign so I would come? Mashiho thought, flabbergasted.

 

“Last night was my friend’s birthday party, here on the third floor. But I got worried thinking you might have passed out in someone’s room again!” Junkyu cracked a contagious laugh that eventually made the housekeeper boy laugh as well.

 

“I’m really sorry, Junkyu-ssi. I was cleaning other rooms.” Mashiho rubbed his nape. “I came to this corridor before noon, though… and your room’s sign was off. I thought maybe you had checked out.”

 

“I’m checking out tomorrow morning,” Junkyu said, still with a smile, but it wasn’t contagious anymore. The sudden silence spoke for both of them; they weren’t too thrilled by the fact that they had too little time to be actual friends like they both wanted to.

 

“Ah… I hope you’ve enjoyed your stay here,” Mashiho broke the silence, forcing a smile.

 

“I have. It was the first time I woke up to a knocked-out person in my room, so it was a fun experience.” Junkyu laughed, while the younger had a bashful grin on his flushed face.

 

“It was the first time someone took good care of me here,” Mashiho mumbled incoherently, which Junkyu failed to catch.

 

“Huh? First time what?”

 

“Uh, I’m sorry, Junkyu-ssi. I have to get moving. There are CCTVs here.” Mashiho bowed. “See you. Please come here often.”

 

Call it dramatic, but Mashiho felt hot tears stinging his eyes when he pushed his cart past the stunned Korean boy. This is the last time I can see you, because tomorrow is my day off… I wish we could be friends.

 

Kim Junkyu was still there, but Mashiho felt lonely already.

 

“Wait.”

 

Suddenly a hand gripped Mashiho’s smaller one on the cart’s handle, stopping him from walking away. The Japanese boy felt a jolt in his heart at the contact.

 

“What time does your shift end? Let’s hang out.”

 

Mashiho’s eyes rounded and his breath got caught in his throat. A couple of seconds later, a big smile bloomed on his face, so big that he had to bite his bottom lip to hold it.

 

“It’s… 5 PM.”

 

Sorry, Hyunsuk hyung… I’ll skip the ramyun for today. Just today.

 


Junkyu

 

It was a bold move. Even for Kim Junkyu, it was a pretty bold move.

 

So, basically, he had stepped up his game – if he wanted Mashiho to be his friend, then he would make him his friend.

 

5 PM straight, Junkyu sat down in one of the sofas in the lobby, looking warm yet stylish in his black turtleneck, fluffy white winter coat, and his favorite beret. His long leg was crossed over the other while he played with his phone. Earlier he had spent hours going shopping with Yedam and Doyoung at the mall next to the hotel. And now, it was time to have some bonding time with his target.

 

“Junkyu-ssi?”

 

Junkyu snapped his head around to see the very anticipated smiley hamster, looking so small in his grey overcoat.

 

“Mashiho!” Junkyu jumped onto his feet like an excited little boy. “Let’s go.”

 

While on their way out, they ran into a certain playful security guard, who seemed so excited when he saw them. He waved at them and started to make all sorts of hearts with his fingers and arms.

 

“Um, who’s that?” Junkyu asked. Since the guard’s shift was over, he wasn’t in his uniform anymore.

 

“It’s my friend, Hyunsuk hyung.” Mashiho facepalmed, looking embarrassed to admit he knew the guy.

 

“Oh! Should we go and greet him?” Junkyu’s eyes lit up. “It would be rude to ignore him.”

 

“No, Junkyu-ssi, there’s no need. No need to greet him.” Despite Mashiho’s weak objection, the tall Korean boy led the way to the guard with no hesitation, being the sociable person he was.

 

“Hello, are you Mashiho’s friend? I’m Kim Junkyu,” Junkyu introduced himself, offering a hand that was immediately taken by the guard.

 

“Nice to finally meet you, Junkyu-ssi! It’s an honor. I’m Choi Hyunsuk, a security guard at this hotel.” Hyunsuk flashed a cheeky grin.

 

“An honor?” Junkyu thought out loud. Finally? Then it clicked in his mind. Ah, this guy must be the one Jihoon mentioned. The guy who was with Mashiho at the restaurant. Being reminded about it, Junkyu couldn’t help but feel embarrassed about the teasing too, even though Hyunsuk hadn’t even mentioned anything about it.

 

“Are you about to go on a date?” Hyunsuk blurted out, which made Mashiho’s eyes widen double times.

 

“Hyung!” Mashiho swung his small fist hitting the air, then proceeded to panic next to the shocked koala. “I-I’m sorry, Junkyu-ssi! This friend likes to speak nonsense. Let’s—Let’s just go, come on.”

 

Junkyu’s open mouth slowly closed. “A date…?” He tapped his lips, his mischievous side starting to come out. Then with a smirk a said, “It may be, it may not be.”

 

“Woaaah!” Hyunsuk cheered and clapped like a seal, giving the pair two thumbs up. “Great, keep it up! Enjoy the night, I’ll get out of your way.” With a wink, the security guard was quickly out of their sight.

 

Meanwhile, Mashiho had his burning red face buried in his palms, making Junkyu cackle at his adorable antics. “Your friend is funny. Is he really a security guard?”

 

The pair continued their way out the hotel and towards a buffet restaurant nearby, enjoying the short moment with small talks to get to know each other. Junkyu found out quickly that the housekeepers had a day off in a week, and Mashiho’s happened to be on Sunday – as if the universe was on Junkyu’s side, because it was Saturday evening and the following day was Sunday, which meant he could enjoy his time longer with the housekeeper.

 

“Am I the first guest who hangs out with you?” Junkyu asked, chuckling.

 

“Yes, I don’t think it ever happens to any housekeepers… You’re just really kind and friendly, Junkyu-ssi.” Mashiho lifted his gaze from the ground, his eyes full of admiration as he smiled at the taller male.

 

And you’re really cute, Junkyu thought, returning the smile. “Mashiho, I’ve been wondering. How did you end up here? Don’t tell me if it’s sensitive to you.”

 

“Hmm.” Mashiho tapped his lips, copying Junkyu’s habit whenever he was thinking. “It’s sensitive.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry for asking!” The Korean boy covered his mouth, feeling bad.

 

“But I will tell you.” Mashiho grinned, finally letting Junkyu breathe. He hugged himself and looked at the sky as he recalled his past. “I came to Korea three years ago. When I was younger, my biggest dream was to go to South Korea, live and work here. I was a fanboy who liked K-pop so much, and I came to admire the country and the language too.”

 

“Ah, that happens,” Junkyu commented.

 

Mashiho continued, “Then in my freshman year in high school, my friend told me about his dream to work at a hotel, because his brother worked at a hotel too. He said even the salary for housekeeping wasn’t small if we could manage to work at a good hotel. His name is Yoshinori. We were really close, and since he often talked about his dream job, I got influenced. I wanted to work at a hotel in South Korea. We both made our way here with a lot of struggles, learned housekeeping, and managed to get a job. And yet, he didn’t last long here because he couldn’t stand living far away from his family. He got a job at the hotel his brother worked at in Japan. But, I felt like it was too soon to come back. My family would have questioned me if I had followed all his decisions. It went like that, and I was left alone here.”

 

“Woah, sounds really complicated. That means you don’t have anyone here… Where do you live now?” Junkyu asked out of concern.

 

“I live alone at a small apartment, I’ve never moved anywhere since I first came here,” Mashiho said. “I used to split the rent with Yoshi, but now I pay the rent myself. That’s why I have to save up.”

 

Junkyu’s eyebrows knitted together trying to imagine himself living that kind of life. He wasn’t as wealthy as Yedam, but his family wasn’t poor either – that was why he was taking Mashiho to an expensive buffet restaurant. He never thought of being short of money. I’m lucky, aren’t I?

 

“But, at least you’re happy, right? You’re living your dream, working at a five star hotel in Korea,” Junkyu said. His intention was to bring up the bright side, but unexpectedly, the young housekeeper let out a tired sigh.

 

“I don’t know, Junkyu-ssi… It was my dream, but it doesn’t really make me happy.” The sad, helpless tone in his voice sent a weird uncomfortable feeling in Junkyu’s chest.

 

So after a tad bit of hesitating, Junkyu wrapped his long arm around the shorter boy’s shoulders, holding him close as they continued to walk side by side. He wasn’t really good at using words to comfort people – he did it with his touch.

 

“Do you miss your family?” asked the Korean boy.

 

Mashiho nodded, keeping his head low to hide his eyes that were getting hot at the mention of his family. “These days, I just want to quit my job. It’s getting lonely. I only have Hyunsuk hyung, I’m… I want to have more friends. I’m so lonely living here.”

 

Junkyu stopped walking and pulled the smaller boy aside, away from the sidewalk and towards an aisle between two shops. Squeezing his shoulders gently, he gave Mashiho a little time to calm himself down, because he could feel the strong emotions that were coming to the surface.

 

“It’s okay. You have me now.” Junkyu offered a reassuring smile. “I want to be your friend. Do you want to be my friend?”

 

Mashiho’s chocolate brown orbs glimmered under the street lights.

 

“Please don’t cry.” Not able to bear seeing those eyes, Junkyu pulled the younger boy close into his arms and held him tight.

 

And a droplet of tear fell, followed by another, seeping into Junkyu’s coat.

 

“I-I want.” Mashiho’s velvety voice cracked. “Thank you, Junkyu-ssi.”

 

“Drop the formalities already.” Junkyu patted the head rested on his shoulder. “Let’s be more comfortable around each other, since we’re friends.”

 

The silent cry eventually intensified into sniffles and hiccups, sending a panic attack in Junkyu’s mind. They had gotten some unwanted attention from people passing by. Ahhh did I say something wrong? He held the boy closer and rubbed his back, then cupped his face in his hands, wiping the tears away with his thumbs.

 

“Sshh, Mashiho.” Junkyu turned their position so his back was facing the street and people couldn’t see the smaller boy. “It’s okay. I’m here, don’t be sad. Don’t be lonely anymore.”

 

With soothing pats and whispers, eventually the tears came to a halt.

 

“I’m sorry.” Mashiho wiped his watery eyes. “This is embarrassing. I’ve… I’ve kept it in for too long.”

 

“It’s okay. I’m glad you could let it out.” Junkyu smiled. “Now, since you miss home, let’s satsify a part of your longing.”

 

Mashiho cocked his head to the side.

 

“How?”

 

A moment later…

 

“Ta-daaa! Japanese-Korean buffet!” Junkyu clapped like a seal, while Mashiho had his sparkly eyes on the sign outside the seemingly high class restaurant. “The food is really good here, and most importantly, they have Japanese food! Eat all you want, it’s on me.”

 

“…Ah Junkyu-ssi—hyung, I will feel bad if you spend much money on me,” Mashiho said, even though his stomach was already rumbling due to the faint delicious smell his nose caught. He had gotten sort of fed up with eating ramyun.

 

“I will be sad if you don’t want to accompany me eat here.” Junkyu pouted, successfully making the Japanese boy give in.

 

“I will repay you when I can, hyung.” Mashiho’s hands held onto Junkyu’s arm as they entered the place, just like a little boy coming to an unfamiliar place for the first time.

 

Junkyu found it amusing, how Mashiho reminded him of himself towards Yedam. Feeling so uneasy to get something for free. Maybe this was how Yedam felt when treating him to something nice – it just felt good to make a dear friend happy.

 

Being in a luxury place for the first time, Mashiho didn’t dare move around on his own, so he followed Junkyu around like an obedient puppy. The Japanese boy seemed to be amazed by everything he saw, especially by the fact that he could eat everything he saw.

 

“Is it really okay?” Mashiho asked while watching a skilled chef smoothly slicing some fresh salmon to make sushi. “It won’t be more expensive if I take more food?”

 

“No, so take anything you want! But make sure you eat what you take.” Junkyu laughed. “Which ones do you like? Let me get them for you.”

 

Mashiho began to point at this and that like a shy little boy, which were alll Japanese food, and the mother-like Junkyu grabbed those dishes for him while also taking some for himself. Done picking the Japanese food, they moved to the Korean food section.

 

“Oh, Mashiho, you must eat this since you’re here. Korean beef and pork! Have you tried them?” Junkyu asked.

 

“They’re expensive,” Mashiho said, hiding behind the taller boy and peeking at the meats as if they were dangerous. “I’ve tried them once with Yoshi back then.”

 

“Did you like them?” Junkyu asked, answered by a shy nod. And there they had it; the meats served in a big hot plate, among many other dishes covering the surface of their table.

 

“Enjoy the meal!” Junkyu said with a big smile before stuffing his face with food.

 

“Thank you for the meal, I will eat well.” Mashiho grabbed his chopsticks and began to eat sheepishly, unlike Junkyu, who looked like he hadn’t eaten for the whole day and was so excited to see food.

 

“You look emotional.” Junkyu chuckled with full cheeks, noticing how the younger boy was taking his time enjoying every bite he took. “Please don’t cry on your food, it will get salty.”

 

Mashiho choked trying to supress his laugh and began to cough.

 

“Oh, oh my, I’m sorry! Here, here, drink this,” Junkyu handed a cup of warm tea, which Mashiho took immediately to save his life without a doubt.

 

Just after he had stopped coughing did he realize that it was not his cup, but Junkyu’s.

 

A considerable amount of pink bloomed on his cheeks.

 

“Th-Thank you,” he stammered, returning the cup to the oblivious koala, who somehow found the situation funny instead. He began to laugh while flipping the pieces of meat.

 

“If you pass out here, I may have to carry you back to the hotel. Because I don’t know where you live.” He giggled. “Would it be okay for a guest to bring a housekeeper into the room if the shift is already over?”

 

“I-I’m not sure, it’s a rare case.” Mashiho stuffed a sushi into his mouth and looked down to hide his nervousness.

 

Still oblivious to the state Mashiho was in, Junkyu grabbed a piece of beef with his chopsticks and put it into his mouth. “Ohhh juicy!” He moaned in delight. “Mashiho, try this! It’s sooo good.” He picked another big piece of meat and stretched out his arm across the table. “Say ‘aaaah’.”

 

The red-faced Mashiho blinked at the meat just inches away from his face, looking and smelling so tempting. Then his focus shifted to the chopsticks holding that meat.

 

“My arm is about to fall off.” Junkyu laughed.

 

“Oh, s-sorry.” In a slow and hesitant move, Mashiho parted his lips and took the piece of meat from the chopsticks into his mouth. And his eyes fluttered close in pleasure.

 

The softest meat with richest flavor he had ever tasted, with the possible tiny addition of Junkyu’s saliva. Might be kind of gross, but he didn’t seem to mind that now.

 

“Gosh, so good.” The Japanese boy swallowed down the food and his lips.

 

“You make it look like a food commercial.” Junkyu cackled and clapped his hands.

 

After a few more times of Junkyu feeding Mashiho like a mother, his new little friend seemed to have loosened up and was much more relaxed. Junkyu told him about his absurd friends and about the birthday party they had had the previous night, about the funny things that had happened there, which made Mashiho smile and giggle so much during their dinner. They sank so deep into their own world that they didn’t realize an hour had passed.

 

“Junkyu hyung, how much does it all cost?” Mashiho asked when Junkyu was about to pay, chewing on his bottom lip. Junkyu had seen him do that a couple of times before – probably a habit of his.

 

“It costs,” Junkyu turned the little hamster around to face anything else but the cashier, “a walk together to the mall. Do you want to repay me now?”

 

Done with the payment, Junkyu took his card back quickly and ushered Mashiho out the restaurant with a carefree smile, as if he hadn’t just spent a lot of money.

 

“It’s not enough to repay you,” Mashiho objected with a pout.

 

“Then,” Junkyu tapped his lips, “how about staying at the hotel with me for the night?”

 

Junkyu’s mischievous smile made Mashiho fidget adorably. He really wanted to know what the small Japanese boy was thinking.

 

“I-I didn’t bring any extra clothes,” Mashiho tried to reason. “Can I… do something else?”

 

Junkyu cracked a naughty boyish laugh. Why does he make it sound like I’m blackmailing him? He thought. “Mashiho, you don’t owe me anything. Remember that.”

 

Soon, the pair entered the big mall next to the hotel. Mashiho went back to his submissive turtle mode seeing the lines of expensive brands inside.

 

Meanwhile, Junkyu had that suspicious happy smile that gave Mashiho a bad feeling.

 

“…Hyung, we’re just looking around, right?”

 

“Oh, are we?”

 


Mashiho

 

Mashiho felt like crying.

 

With the most adorable and sweetest smile, Junkyu wrapped a brand new, soft white scarf around Mashiho’s neck, in a gentle way that made it seem he was touching something so fragile. He then took Mashiho’s hands and slipped them into a pair of leather gloves, with a layer of fluffy fur inside to keep his thin fingers warm.

 

“You were shivering all the way. Now, you feel much warmer, don’t you?”

 

Seeing Mashiho’s guilty puppy eyes and little pout, Junkyu laughed and proceeded to cuddle him. Note that they were still in public, outside the shopping mall.

 

Mashiho did feel much warmer. He hadn’t even realized that he had been shivering. His old gloves were so worn out that they couldn’t even block the cold anymore, so he had stopped wearing them for quite a while. He thought he had gotten used to it.

 

But, he loved feeling warm in the cold like this. Physically and mentally warm, with the person whom he believed to be an angel sent to him from above, to put it in a cheesy way. An angel with a hilarious laugh, that is.

 

“I’ve owed you so much in just a few hours,” said the Japanese boy, “I won’t be able to repay you any time soon with the money I have.”

 

“What did I tell you? You don’t owe me anything.” Like it was the most natural thing to do, the giant koala engulfed Mashiho in his arms and the back of his head.

 

Kim Junkyu seemed to be a person who enjoyed physical contact, but to Mashiho, it was something so unfamiliar. Despite the amount of skinship Junkyu had initiated in the short span of time, it was still hard for Mashiho not to give an awkward reaction. Not that he hated it – maybe, he had started to like it as well.

 

“Think of them as presents from me,” Junkyu said, “so you’ll remember me when you wear them. If you remember me, maybe you won’t be too lonely anymore, because you remember you have a friend.”

 

Mashiho sank half of his face in his new scarf, refusing to have an eye contact with the taller boy. Can we even still be friends after tonight? Can we even meet? Won’t you forget me?

 

“…Thank you, hyung.” Mashiho forced a smile to come out.

 

“Let’s go.” Another physical contact – Junkyu took Mashiho’s gloved hand and led him down the stairs towards the streets. The housekeeper boy still wondered how it all seemed so natural to the other boy.

 

The closer they were to the hotel, the worse Mashiho felt. He didn’t want to say goodbye yet.

 

“Here we are.” Mashiho lifted his chin when he felt Junkyu’s hands on his shoulders. The koala-like smile was there, making him wonder if the Korean boy wasn’t upset at all to part with him. Was it a one-sided feeling?

 

“So,” Junkyu said with a bigger smile, “I’m going to sneak you in, and you can’t say no.”

 

This time it was Mashiho’s turn to pull a shocked face that was sort of Junkyu’s signature, and his face lost its color. Was he happy? Or scared? Or excited? Those were all mixed up in a jumble of emotions.

 

To be frank, even though Kim Junkyu had declared their friendship, Mashiho had only known this Korean guy for not more than three days. So, yes, he was afraid too – spending the night with someone he barely knew in a hotel room didn’t sound safe at all.

 

“W-Why?” Mashiho asked, trying to sound as normal as he could.

 

“Because, I don’t know when we can see each other again.” Junkyu flashed an innocent smile. “So, let’s not say goodbye too soon.”

 

Mashiho fidgeted with his fingers as he tried to come up with self-rescue plans in case something unexpected happened. If he does something to me, then I may have to use my martial arts skills because he’s bigger than me… Ah, what am I thinking? Would he really do weird things? He looks so innocent, though… I’ve been alone with him in his room once, and he didn’t do anything bad while I was unconscios. Or did he…?

 

“Mashiho.” Junkyu laughed. “What’s that face you’re making? Don’t worry, you’re safe with me.”

 

Junkyu took out a black mask and offered it to the smaller boy. “Just in case anyone recognizes you. Are you coming?”

 

After another whole minute of hesitating, Mashiho thought, screw it, and put on the mask covering half his face. Junkyu cheered and clapped in delight, before taking off his beret and putting it on Mashiho’s head.

 

“You look like the smaller version of me!” He snickered. “Okay, let’s get in!”

 

A moment later

 

Mashiho couldn’t stop questioning his decision. The Japanese housekeeper found it awkward to be in a guest’s room and not cleaning anything.

 

“Can I… clean anything for you?”

 

Junkyu guffawed and collapsed onto his back in the big bed. “You’re really a true housekeeper! Yes, please clean my soul.”

 

The jittery Mashiho took the joke a little bit too serious. Clean his soul? Is his soul dirty… Does it mean he’s not innocent?

 

Mashiho didn’t know what to do, other than standing idle in his spot and watching the older male getting comfortable in his bed. Then his attention was caught by the coat laid carelessly on the edge of the bed. With the instinct of a housekeeper, he took Junkyu’s coat and hung it neatly in the wardrobe.

 

“Thank you,” Junkyu giggled. “You can take a shower, Mashi. I’ll lend you my clothes.”

 

Mashi. First time Junkyu called him by his nickname, and Mashiho liked how it sounded in his voice. In the last three years, only Hyunsuk called him that, besides his parents on the phone.

 

In all honesty, Mashiho still had no clue about whether he would just spend time for a bit there and then go straight home, or actually stay there for the night and leave in the morning – he guessed he didn’t have a say in it. It wasn’t that Junkyu had straightforwardly demanded him to stay and forbid him from leaving, but somehow, Mashiho felt like he was already bound to the older’s words and he wouldn’t be able to say no anyway. Even if Junkyu asked him to stay in a cute way.

 

“My clothes may be too big on you, but you’ll feel comfortable sleeping in them.” Junkyu got up and proceeded to pick some clean clothes from his suitcase. “Oh, this is Yedam’s. Why is Yedam’s sweater here? He must have left it after sleeping here.”

 

Yedam, who had a birthday party here? Mashiho recalled the story Junkyu had told during dinner. So he slept here too? It confirmed Mashiho’s belief that Junkyu wasn’t someone who really minded personal space.

 

He must be used to it, sleeping with someone. N-Not in a weird way…

 

“Here you go! You’re going to stay, right?” Junkyu asked, his bright innocent eyes looking expectant.

 

Mashiho rubbed his nape feeling uneasy. “Is it okay to wear your clothes?”

 

“Of course. Yedam and I also borrow each other’s clothes sometimes, when we have unplanned sleepovers,” Junkyu laughed.

 

Yedam must be special. Mashiho took the clothes with a hesitant smile. “Thank you, hyung. I’ll be quick.”

 

Mashiho entered the bathroom. It looked very familiar to him, as he cleaned bathrooms every day, but surely it felt different to use it. Especially with Junkyu’s stuff still there.

 

His stuff. The housekeeper hadn’t really paid attention to it the first time he had cleaned the room, but he noticed now that Junkyu had several bottles of perfumes there on the countertop, which all looked expensive.

 

No wonder he smells so good… But, why so many? Mashiho shook his head. I’m not here to be nosey on his belongings. Neither about his friend.

 

Mashiho stepped into the shower and quickly washed up, trying not to think about what possible things Junkyu might have done with his friend Yedam. Even he himself found it weird that he was curious about it. It was totally normal for two close friends to share a hotel room, right?

 

Done showering, Mashiho put on the black sweatpants and the oversized black sweatshirt that Junkyu had lent him. The sweatshirt was so big that it reached down to half of the small boy’s thighs – he looked like he was drowning in it, but nevertheless, Junkyu was right. It felt comfortable. The subtle manly scent that was rubbed off on it made him feel calm. He didn’t smell like grilled beef anymore.

 

I’m wearing Junkyu hyung’s clothes. Mashiho looked into the mirror and pressed his cheeks with his palms, his puckered lips forming a tiny smile. Okay, enough, let’s get out.

 

When Mashiho stepped out of the bathroom, he found Junkyu asleep, sprawled on the bed diagonally with his arms spread open. The housekeeper felt bad for making him wait.

 

“Hyung.” Mashiho called softly. After getting no response, he tried tapping the sleeping koala on the arm. “Junkyu hyung.” Should I just let him sleep? But he looks uncomfortable in those clothes. Tapping didn’t work, so Mashiho began to shake him lightly. “Hyuuuung. Wake up, you need to change your clothes.”

 

The giant koala remained asleep.

 

He must be really tired. Feeling uneasy to keep trying to wake him up, Mashiho decided to give up and just fix Junkyu’s sleeping position. He held the older boy by his shoulders and carefully turned him from the diagonal position, so that his head could rest on the pillow.

 

“Excuse me,” the housekeeper whispered as he lifted Junkyu’s head by the neck and placed it on the pillow.

 

While Mashiho was doing so, suddenly Junkyu’s eyes fluttered open.

 

“…Mmm.”

 

Mashiho’s hands froze on the older’s head, his face turned pale in shock and his brain stopped working when Junkyu’s hooded eyes slowly blinked at him – those sleepy eyes certainly held more charisma than when he was fully awake.

 

“Mashiho?” After blinking a few times, the innocent twinkling light was back in his brown orbs. Junkyu’s mouth slowly fell open. “W-What’s happening?”

 

Mashiho let go of Junkyu’s head quickly and took a step back. “I-I’m sorry! I couldn’t wake you up, s-so I just fixed your position. I’m sorry.”

 

He got a panic attack. Oh gosh, he misunderstands… He’s going to kick me out now.

 

Junkyu sat up and stared at the fidgeting housekeeper, not saying a word, making the latter’s heart beat erratically.

 

Until his laugh boomed out of nowhere.

 

“Gah! I fell asleep and forgot I brought you here!” He fell back onto his back, laughing and clapping his hands. “For a minute I thought I was dreaming because I woke up to your face. Haha!”

 

Mashiho shut his eyes and held his chest, letting out a long sigh in relief. Gosh… He could look so scary but still is a goofball.

 

Junkyu slid off the bed and wiped the tears off his eyes. “You looked so scared.” He took his time to stop cackling. “Oh, you’re done showering! Wow… You look cute in my clothes. Really adorable.”

 

Mashiho grinned shyly at the compliment.

 

“Now, wait for me, I’m going to wash up. Consider it your own room!”

 

Isn’t it dangerous to leave me with his stuff here? Mashiho thought, not that he would ever think of stealing. He was sort of amazed by the amount of trust Junkyu had put on him.

 

The housekeeper took his phone out of his bag and sat on the edge of the bed while Junkyu went to clean himself. He hadn’t checked his phone the whole day. Now he found several missed calls and a lot of notifications on his messaging app, which were from none other than Choi Hyunsuk, teasing him and then being worried about his “date”.

 

“Mashi, you didn’t tell me you were going out on a date with Kim Junkyu! You only said that you had something to do! Why didn’t you tell me?? I’m your friend ㅠㅠ

 

“Talk more around him, okay? In order to be attractive, being good-looking isn’t enough, but have a fun personality too! Trust me, I’m experienced.”

 

“Hey kiddo, I forgot to tell you, don’t let your guard down even if he’s a good guy! He’s still counted as a stranger, you get it? If something happens to you, I’ll have to eat ramyun alone for the rest of my career.”

 

“Yo kid, it’s been 4 hours and you haven’t read my texts. What are you up to, Mashi? That’s a crazy long date. Did he do something to you? Did you do something to him?”

 

“Don’t say you’re having a one night stand.”

 

“MASHIHOOOO ㅠㅠ

 

“Should I go and look for you?”

 

Mashiho slapped a hand over his face. “My phone was still on silent mode the whole time. Should I call back? But it’s late.” He decided to reply his texts instead.

 

“Hyunsuk hyung, I’m sorry! My phone was on silent mode. I’m ok, Junkyu hyung treated me to a nice dinner and bought me expensive stuff even tho I asked him not to… ㅠㅠ He’s really nice, we’ve become friends ^^”

 

Should I tell him that I’m staying with Junkyu hyung tonight? Mashiho thought. Just in case something happens…

 

“By the way, hyung, I’m staying with him at the hotel for the night. I’ll go back home in the morning, since tomorrow is my day off. I know, don’t worry hyung, I’ll be fine. I’m going to rest now, goodnight Hyunsuk hyung 🐹❤

 

“He must be asleep already.” Mashiho sighed. No replies after several minutes.

 

“Who?” The smiley Junkyu popped his head out of the bathroom, his black hair still wet. “Are you talking to yourself?”

 

“Oh, just Hyunsuk hyung, he texted me earlier,” Mashiho said.

 

“Did he get worried about you?” Junkyu chuckled. “He seems like a nice friend.”

 

“Kind of.” Mashiho couldn’t help but smile thinking of his silly older friend, who knew about his struggles the most. “Sometimes like a nice dad too.”

 

“Wow, you must be really close.”

 

Yes, but we’ve never slept together.

 

 

Why do I keep thinking about that!

 

Junkyu came out with a towel draped over his head, wearing a pair of grey pajamas, with little smiley koala faces all over the fabric. On his face was a similar koala smile. Mashiho couldn’t help but chuckle.

 

Does he know he looks like a koala? How cute.

 

“I’m properly dressed now, unlike the first time we met here.” Junkyu cracked his usual high-pitched laugh. Recalling the sleeping koala that he had seen for the first time, and the lack of skin coverage, Mashiho covered his face in embarrassment.

 

He surely radiated a different aura when sleeping.

 

“Oh, we haven’t really talked about what had happened before you fainted,” Junkyu said as he put his towel away and then sat cross-legged on the bed, looking at the younger boy with an excited grin.

 

“N-Nothing much.” Mashiho laughed awkwardly. “I rang the bell several times, but since there were no answers, I went in and cleaned the room. You and the pillows were all covered by the sheets like a big bundle. I thought it was just pillows there, so I pulled the sheets off, and I got shocked seeing you. Then I fainted.”

 

Junkyu’s laugh exploded once again to the point that he had to clutch his stomach and roll around on the bed, making Mashiho laugh along. “It’s so funny to imagine! Hahaha! I must have looked like a mess that you fainted like that.”

 

“No, you looked so peaceful and cute like a baby.” Mashiho chuckled, just to feel embarrassed after hearing his own words. Did I just call him cute out loud… The mischievous look on Junkyu’s face doubled his embarrassment.

 

“To make it fair, I’ll somehow wake up early to see Mashiho sleep!” Junkyu declared. “I don’t usually wake up early, but I will do it because I wanna see how cute Mashiho is when sleeping.”

 

“Nooo, please don’t.” Mashiho laughed and sank his face in his palms. “I think you won’t wake up earlier than me.”

 

“Challenge accepted.” Junkyu put his hands on his hips and shot a smug smile at the other.

 

I wake up at 6 every morning automatically, so I should be safe. Mashiho answered with his adorable toothy grin.

 

“You don’t mind if I turn off the lights, do you?” Junkyu asked as he reached his hand towards the switches on the bedside table. “Let’s just leave the bedside lamps on for now.”

 

The housekeeper still felt uneasy to even sit on the bed, so Junkyu told him to move closer to the middle. The Korean boy then lay on his stomach and propped his chin up on his hand. In his eyes was a soft yet mysterious glint as he fondly looked at the younger, a captivating gaze that somehow seemed both tame and dangerous at the same time. His child-like aura wasn’t so strong anymore in the dark, under the mere illumination of the warm yellow bedside lamp.

 

Mashiho found himself thinking, he really is handsome.

 

And in that atmosphere, their conversation became a little bit more personal – about their background, their families, and deeper about themselves.

 

“Your family sounds like nice people,” Mashiho commented, “It must be fun to have a sibling.”

 

“Well, it was more fun when we were younger, but now my big brother is a busy adult. He’s not much fun anymore.” Junkyu laughed. “Being the only child isn’t so bad either, is it? You could get all the attention.”

 

“Yes, but it got lonely sometimes. I played outside a lot because I didn’t have friends to play with at home, besides my dog Kotetsu.” Mashiho smiled reminiscing his childhood. “When you’re the only child, you’ll feel a responsibillity as the only one who can make your parents proud. I took many activities when I was younger, joining sports competitions, getting a black belt in martial arts, learning languages and music, and such. Now that I’m an adult, the weight on my shoulders is also heavier. I need to do bigger things to make my parents proud.”

 

“I’m sure they’re already proud of you.” Junkyu gave a reassuring pat on the younger’s hand, getting a shy smile in response. “Ah, did you leave anyone special behind? Other than your family?”

 

Now, Mashiho wondered what the other’s smile meant. “Hmm, anyone special? Just my close friends.” He shrugged. “What kind of special?”

 

Special.” Junkyu’s naughty eyes glanced side to side. “You had no girlfriend?”

 

Mashiho was caught off guard as he hadn’t seen that bluntness coming. His big ears turned red. “N-No, I had none. H-How about you, hyung?”

 

…Hold on, why am I asking him back? Mashiho wished the bed would just swallow him or something.

 

“Me? Girlfriend? Yes, I have.”

 

Mashiho’s heart sank to his stomach. So, Kim Junkyu wasn’t a single man. What was that feeling he felt? Disappointment?

 

“My girlfriend is… My beret! Hahaha!” Junkyu cackled and clapped his hands, looking proud of his old joke. Mashiho closed his eyes and pressed his lips trying hard not to grab a pillow and smack the koala on the head.

 

Suddenly he remembered Junkyu saying, “This room is way too big for myself! A single man shouldn’t stay here alone!”

 

The Japanese boy slapped a hand over his face, making Junkyu laugh even more.

 

“I’m single as a pringle.” The koala beamed.

 

“No wonder your body is long like a Pringles can.” Mashiho covered his mouth immediately after blurting his thought out loud, while Junkyu hollered in an explosive laughter like a screaming banshee.

 

“Mashihoooo!”

 

“I-I’m sorry! I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it!”

 

Junkyu squeezed the smaller boy and shook him back and forth. “You’re wittier than I thought, I like you! HAHAHA!”

 

Apparently Kim Junkyu didn’t get offended easily.

 

Mashiho’s ears turned a deeper shade of red at the plenty amount of physical contact. He had never been squeezed by a giant koala with a nice scent before, and he guessed he liked it.

 

“Let’s sleep,” Junkyu said after his laugh subsided, “I gotta wake up early tomorrow to watch you sleep.”

 

“Okay.” Mashiho giggled as he got himself out of the bed.

 

“Eh? Mashi, where are you going?” Junkyu asked in confusion.

 

“I’m going to sleep here.” The Japanese housekeeper plopped down in the sofa.

 

“No, no, no, why in the sofa if you can sleep in bed? Come back here.” Junkyu slapped the mattress.

 

“It’s comfortable here, hyung.” Instead of returning to the bed, Mashiho lay down and placed his head on his folded arm.

 

“I’ll sleep there then, you sleep here,” Junkyu said, crawling off the bed. “I get it, maybe you’re not comfortable with sharing a bed.”

 

“No, hyung.” Mashiho curled into a giggling ball when Junkyu came closer and tried to pick him up. “Hyung, I’m serious, it’s comfy here. I don’t want to take your space. Please sleep in bed. H-Hyung!”

 

Mashiho squeezed his eyes shut and mentally squealed as Junkyu scooped him up almost effortlessly and carried him back to bed bridal style. His heart was suddenly thumping loudly.

 

“Now, you sleep here.” Junkyu laid the younger boy down gently and covered him with the sheets, and then switched off the bedside lamp. He moved to the other side of the bed and slipped into the sheets as well, intentionally making some space between them – not too close for comfort, but also not too far like two strangers in one bed.

 

“Is this okay?” Junkyu turned facing the other boy and smiled.

 

“Yes.” Mashiho returned the smile. “Thank you for everything you’ve done in these few days, hyung. I’m thankful.”

 

“Me too. I’ve learned a lot from you.”

 

The next minute was spent in silence, with the two friends looking fondly at each other. In his heart, unknowingly Mashiho wished that a day, a night like that wouldn’t be just once in a lifetime. Not something that worked liked a one night stand, as Hyunsuk said.

 

But, would such wish ever come true?

 

“Goodnight, Mashiho.”

 

“Goodnight, Junkyu hyung…”

 

 

Later, that night…

 

Mashiho felt a hand brushing through his hair in his sleep. Following the gentle touch, sudden warmth came blowing against his face.

 

The light sleeper opened his eyes, and the first thing he saw was a familiar handsome face, less than an inch away from his own.

 

“J-Junkyu hyung…!”

 

Mashiho’s breath became shallow as his gaze trailed down to the soft parted lips that were about to land on his face.

 

“Mashiho,” his name slipped out through those lips in a whisper. Mashiho squeezed his eyes shut.

 

“Hyung, no—Junkyu hyung!”

 

Mashiho’s eyes shot open wide. With a much bigger distance, Junkyu’s face came into his sight, looking dazed.

 

“Oh? You’re awake.” Junkyu tapped his own lips in a nervous manner. “I-I was just watching you sleep. Did you have a nightmare?”

 

Mashiho looked like a dead fish as he took his time registering what had happened into his mind.

 

Wasn’t he trying to kiss? Was it… a dream?

 

The concerned Junkyu scooted closer, and Mashiho flinched out of reflex.

 

“Mashiho, what’s wrong?” Junkyu asked.

 

“N-Nothing, hyung. J-Just a weird dream,” Mashiho stammered, “W-Why are you awake?”

 

“I woke up and went to the toilet earlier,” Junkyu said, “Then I saw you start making faces in your sleep. So I decided to watch you sleep, in case I can’t wake up early tomorrow.”

 

Mashiho pulled the sheets up to cover half of his reddening face. “What kind of faces?”

 

“Umm… Uncomfortable faces? You were slightly panting as well.” Junkyu blinked multiple times as if trying to understand the situation. “Do you want to tell me about it?”

 

“No,” Mashiho answered a bit too quickly, then covered it with a smile. “Let’s go back to sleep, hyung.”

 

“O-Okay.” Junkyu to his back and stared at the ceiling. “Yedam used to hug me when I had nightmares. It helped. If you have another nightmare, it’s okay to wake me up, maybe I can help.”

 

That’s only going to make things worse… “Thank you, hyung… I’ll be fine. Goodnight.”

 

“Have a nice dream, Mashi.”

 


Junkyu

 

“Okay, clear. Nothing’s left. Let’s go!” Junkyu pulled his huge suitcase out the room, while Mashiho held the door open for him. The housekeeper had Junkyu’s mask and beret on, just like the previous night, in order to avoid any suspicions.

 

After checking out at the lobby, the Korean boy’s phone rang.

 

“Hmm. Unknown number.” Junkyu frowned at the screen. Nonetheless, he picked up the call.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Good morning, Junkyu-ssi! I’m heading there to pick you up.”

 

“Who is this?” Junkyu asked, not recognizing the voice. He also didn’t remember ordering a driver; he had planned on taking the subway.

 

“Wow, really? How could you forget this handsome voice? This is Park Jihoon! Boss Yedam sent me to drive you home.”

 

Junkyu rolled his eyes, getting a curious look from Mashiho. The small housekeeper was pulling the big suitcase around for him, being the nice little friend he was.

 

“Handsome Park Jihoon, you don’t have to. I’ll go home on my own,” Junkyu said.

 

“Whoa, it really feels good to hear someone admit my handsomeness. Ahem, anyways, no, I will still pick you up. Boss Yedam promised me a bonus if I help you around. Please let me pick you up so I can get that bonus and buy myself a Blackpink album. Did you know they’re gonna have a comeback soon? I haven’t even bought the first mini album and they’re already going to release something new, my fanboy pride is hurt—”

 

“Yes, yes, alright, I’ll wait for you Jihoon-ssi,” Junkyu cut the driver. When it came to Park Jihoon, at times he was amazed that there existed someone who could talk more than himself.

 

“Yes! Thank you, Junkyu-ssi! I’m almost there, please wait outside the lobby.”

 

“Who was that, hyung?” Mashiho asked as soon as Junkyu ended the call.

 

“Yedam’s narcissistic driver.” Junkyu chuckled. “He’s coming to pick me up.”

 

“Ah, I see. Your friend Yedam seems really nice,” Mashiho said.

 

“Yes, too nice even. He told the driver that he would give him a bonus if he helps me around. That’s really not necessary.” Junkyu spotted a familiar car entering the lobby. “Oh, there he is! Let’s go.”

 

The pair went outside the lobby, and Jihoon the driver got out of the car, as always looking neat in his suit. Junkyu wondered why he had to look so formal all the time.

 

“Hi, Junkyu-ssi! Wow, you’re shorter than I could remember.” Jihoon mistakenly greeted Mashiho, because of the beret that was still on his head.

 

“Excuse me, I’m over here.” Junkyu couldn’t help but laugh, while Mashiho grinned behind his mask. “Jihoon-ssi, meet Mashiho. Mashiho, meet Park Jihoon.”

 

“Hi, Jihoon-ssi, nice to meet—”

 

“WHAT?! This is Mochiho? Oh my goodness, Junkyu-ssi, you’re really fast.” Jihoon shook his head and clapped his hands in awe. “Just two days ago I told you about him, and now you both are already a couple. Congratulations! I really deserve a bonus for this. As expected of Park Jihoon.”

 

Mashiho shifted his gaze back and forth between the two tall guys, looking extremely bewildered.

 

Trying not to laugh, Junkyu handed his suitcase to the driver. “Please help me out.”

 

“Oh, right.” Jihoon took the suitcase and proceeded to put it in the car’s trunk.

 

“He told you about me?” Mashiho asked, “How did he know me?”

 

“He overheard your conversation with your friend Hyunsuk about me, at the ramyun restaurant.” Junkyu tried his best to hold his smile from splitting up his face. “Something about having a crush.

 

All the colors immediately drained from Mashiho’s face. “I-I-I—”

 

“I know.” Junkyu laughed. “I have to go now, Mashiho. I hope we can meet again soon.”

 

Junkyu opened his arms and held Mashiho close to his chest, closing his eyes in the brief moment as he cherished the feeling of having the little hamster in his embrace, keeping it deep in the back of his head.

 

When he pulled back, he saw the same glimmering beautiful brown orbs that had mesmerized him the night before, under the street light somewhere in a snowy street. The tall Korean boy caressed the beret on the housekeeper’s head, his lips curving into an endearing smile.

 

“This beret is my girlfriend. Please take good care of her.”

 

The short moment felt like forever for both of them, until Jihoon broke it with his yell.

 

“Junkyu-ssi, let’s go! Cut the drama, there are other cars waiting behind us.”

 

“I’ll miss you, hyung. Thank you for everything.” Mashiho held Junkyu’s fingers for a brief second before the latter jumped into the car and shut the door. The car’s window went down, giving a way for Junkyu to stick his head out and wave goodbye like a little kid.

 

“See you, Mashiho!”

 

He didn’t stop waving until the car went out the hotel and down the street.

 

“How touching.” Jihoon sniffled and faked a sob, catching Junkyu’s attention. “It’s like those goodbye scenes in dramas. You even gave your iconic hat to him! Boss Yedam said that funny hat was your favorite thing.”

 

Junkyu sank into the seat and pouted. “It looks good on him. Everything looks good on him.”

 

“I can relate. Everything looks good on handsome people.” Jihoon shrugged. “But really, I thought you said he was a housekeeper? Why was he with you wearing some nice stuff? Did you guys sleep together last night?”

 

The nosey driver kept on throwing questions, not even giving Junkyu a chance to finish his answers.

 

“Are you going to continue seeing each other now?” Jihoon asked.

 

“I hope so. I mean, we exchanged phone numbers, so…” Junkyu sighed and stared out the window. “I want to keep in touch with him.”

 

“Well, you can text him now,” Jihoon said matter-of-factly. “Or even call him. Video call. That’s what couples do, right?”

 

“We’re not a couple,” Junkyu said flatly, yet his ears were turning pink. But he’s right… I can text Mashi whenever I want.

 

And besides, he was still curious about something – about the nightmare, because the faces Mashiho had made weren’t just uncomfortable faces.

 

He wanted to know so bad.

 

So, he sent his first text.

 

“MASHIHO! ^^”

 


Mashiho

 

It was back to a grey, dull world all over again. He had been lonely before, but then, he was lonelier than ever.

 

It had been three months since Mashiho had watched Junkyu smile and wave his way out of his life – physically. The housekeeper boy had almost cried in his way back home that day, but a text from the giant koala had saved him from the rock bottom. Just one week later, Junkyu had paid a surprise visit, joining him and Hyunsuk when they had been having their usual meal at the ramyun restaurant across the street. After that day, even Hyunsuk’s view on Kim Junkyu had changed – no longer as a wealthy, exclusive high class guy, but as a humble one who would happily and sincerely enjoy a simple bowl of ramyun as if it was the most delicious food he had ever eaten.

 

The texting and random visits had continued for the next one month, until the winter break had ended and Junkyu had returned to college in February – their interactions had been reduced to texts and calls only, as he had gotten super busy with his college projects. It had continued for another one month.

 

Entering the third month, the frequency of Junkyu’s texts gradually decreased, until one day he had stopped replying completely. In a span of one night, all of a sudden his number couldn’t be contacted anymore.

 

It would be an underestimation to say that Mashiho had been worried to death. Had something happened to Junkyu? Had he changed his number to avoid him? Had he found someone who deserved all his attention? There was no telling, Mashiho would never find out the answers. And it frustrated him.

 

He still went on with his days, and his job as a housekeeper, but half his soul was barely present in his body. The only thing that kept him moving was the beret that was always hung on his wall – he never wore it so that it wouldn’t get dirty or even get lost outside.

 

One evening, as usual, Mashiho was with Hyunsuk having the meal they always had four times a week. Sitting across the gloomy Japanese boy, Hyunsuk heaved a long, helpless sigh.

 

“Mashi, it’s frustrating to see you like this. How long is this going to continue? Should I really go out there and track down where he lives so you’ll know what he’s up to?” Getting no answers, Hyunsuk ran his fingers through his hair in frustration.

 

All of a sudden, a guy pulled a chair and allowed himself to sit at their table. Mashiho’s dull eyes lit up as soon as he recognized the guy’s face.

 

“J-Jihoon-ssi?”

 

“That’s right, baby.” Jihoon placed an elbow on the table and put on a flirty smirk, then randomly flashed a wink at Hyunsuk, who was caught off guard.

 

“W-Who’s this punk? How dare you wink at me,” Hyunsuk complained.

 

“Why not? You’re cute.” A waiter came serving a bowl of ramyun, and the cheeky driver proceeded to enjoy his meal, ignoring the flabbergasted looks on the other two males’ faces.

 

“D-Don’t call me cute, I’m a security guard!” Hyunsuk seemed flustered, and Mashiho saw a chance of revenge for his excessive teasing back then about having a crush. But the Japanese boy had too many questions jumbled up in his mind that he couldn’t utter a single word.

 

“You must be cute in your uniform.” After slurping in all the bowl’s contents quickly, Jihoon lifted his bowl and poured everything left into his mouth. He finished with a burp, a giggle, and a baby-like eye smile.

 

“Aish, this guy… What are you doing here?” Hyunsuk snapped, not even looking at Jihoon’s smiley baby face.

 

“Hmm. What am I doing here? Wait, I forgot. Bear with me, my brain gets empty when my stomach gets full.” Jihoon crossed his arms and turned his head around as he tried to get his brain to work, while the other two had to pinch the bridge of their noses, being so done with him.

 

“Does it have anything to do with your boss?” Mashiho tried to help.

 

“My boss? Hmm, no.” And suddenly, Jihoon perked up and snapped his fingers. “Aha! I came here because the food is good, and also I had something to tell you, Mochiho.”

 

“Mashiho,” the housekeeper corrected, while the guard suddenly exploded in laughter.

 

“Mochiho! That sounds adorable.” Hyunsuk laughed.

 

“I know, right? Your laugh sounds adorable as well.” Jihoon shot another wink.

 

Mashiho bowed his head to hold his giggle because of Hyunsuk’s dazed face. “What do you need to tell me, Jihoon-ssi?”

 

“Well.” Jihoon touched his own lips as he chose his words. “There are good news and bad news. So, something unexpected happened a while ago. Something bad. Also, I’ve heard of a job opening. You may be interested.”

 

“S-Something bad?” Mashiho wanted to ask about a certain giant koala so bad, but he was hesitant to say the name out loud. His attention was completely on the bad news, ignoring the job opening thing.

 

“Is it related to Kim Junkyu?” Hyunsuk did that for him, much to his relief. Mashiho thanked him through his eyes.

 

“Is it? Yeah, it is,” Jihoon answered, and Mashiho started to panic.

 

“W-What happened to him? Is he okay?” The Japanese boy asked with wide eyes.

 

“I bet your boyfriend has stopped texting you,” Jihoon said, and this time it was Hyunsuk’s turn to get shocked.

 

“Boyfriend?? Mashi, you never told me!”

 

“N-No! It’s not like that! But yes, he stopped texting me—”

 

“I knew it. Your long distance relationship ended a while ago,” Jihoon said calmly.

 

“I can’t believe you had a relationship with him and didn’t tell me! So that’s why you look so gloomy all the time,” Hyunsuk said in disbelief.

 

“No, Hyunsuk hyung, we were never in a relationship—”

 

“Ah, so the name is Hyunsuk. Don’t be upset, Hyunsuk babe, let them be. I can replace Mochiho for you.”

 

“Stop trying to flirt with me or I’ll throw this bowl at your sorry baby face!”

 

“Wow, feisty. A macho security guard indeed. Should I call you Machoho? Mochiho and Machoho.”

 

“How dare you call me a hoe!”

 

“Machoho, not macho hoe!”

 

Mashiho was on the verge of breaking into tears. The two continued on bickering like an old couple while he was getting dead worried about his koala.

 

So he yelled.

 

“STOP!”

 

Both Jihoon and Hyunsuk actually stopped, also everyone else in that place, looking utterly shocked.

 

“This is the first time I hear you shout,” Hyunsuk muttered in awe.

 

“Jihoon-ssi, please tell me what happened to Junkyu hyung,” Mashiho said, trying to calm himself down.

 

“O-Okay. Sorry. Worried boyfriend mode.” Jihoon scratched his head. “It happened last month. From what I heard from boss Yedam, someone followed him all the way home that day, possibly from the subway because he usually takes the subway to and from college. Not long after, maybe in around one hour, his house got burgled. It wasn’t even night yet.”

 

Mashiho and Hyunsuk gawked at each other.

 

“Some stuff went missing including his phone. The burglars even went into his room, but he was taking a nap like a dead piece of log so they didn’t hurt him. His parents and his brother happened to be away during that time and their maids don’t stay there after 6 PM. He was alone. But he’s okay, so don’t worry, alright? The thing is, burglary is something common in that neighborhood these days. It’s an elite neighborhood, but the guards don’t do their job well. They get paid a lot but all they do is eating and getting drunk in their posts. The burglars know that, so they don’t even wait until night. Boss Yedam also lives there just two houses away. Since I stay at his house, that time I heard their dog barking for a long time, and then suddenly stopped. The burglars hurt the dog for being noisy. Don’t worry, it’s still alive. Just that your boyfriend has been sad about it.”

 

Mashiho teared up after the driver had finished explaining. He was just thankful of the fact that Junkyu was a heavy sleeper; otherwise, he might have lost him permanently. The danger had been that close to him, in his very own room.

 

“Geez, how can they call themselves guards? The’d better get fired soon if they can’t do their job,” Hyunsuk nagged like an old man.

 

“Exactly. So, I also have good news. You see… about this job opening.” Jihoon tilted his head to see Mashiho’s sad face. “Mochi. Boss Yedam’s parents have talked to your man’s parents. Although Junkyu refused it, they’ve agreed that it’s better if he has a guy to drive him around and accompany him outside and at home. Like I do for boss Yedam. Rich parents being protective over their kids, you know? It’s so that he wouldn’t have to take the subway especially when it’s getting dark. Also that he wouldn’t be left alone at home. But in order to do so, it’s best if the person lives there too, like me. Trust me, it makes life ten times better and easier. Free food, no rents, high salary. The downside is that you have to do irrelevant tasks sometimes, like joining the maids clean the house and picking up dog poop. In general, let’s call it ‘Personal Butler’. So, are you interested?”

 

Mashiho couldn’t believe his ears. “A-Are you really offering me that job?”

 

“Yes, I’m offering you the position as Kim Junkyu’s personal butler, and by doing this I’ve earned myself a bonus from boss Yedam,” Jihoon said, proudly puffing out his chest. “So, what is your answer, Mochiho?”

 

Mashiho began to tremble in excitement. This was the dot of light in his grey world. He looked at Hyunsuk as if asking for his approval.

 

And then it hit him; if he quit his job, he wouldn’t be spending his evenings eating ramyun with Hyunsuk anymore. Even though he was fed up by the food, he never wanted to say goodbye to the sweet security guard who was like his own big brother.

 

“Take that job if it makes you happy,” Hyunsuk said, his smile looking rather sad. “I know you’ve wanted to quit for a long time.”

 

“But, hyung… What about you?” Mashiho squeaked.

 

“What about him?” Jihoon interfered, “He’s coming too. Replace those lazy pigs who call themselves guards. They’re not getting fired soon if there are no replacements yet.”

 

Mashiho and Hyunsuk looked at each other with sparkling eyes. “Hyung, do you want to?” Mashiho asked.

 

“Say yes, babe, I need a flirtmate during my free time.” Jihoon brought his mischievous face closer to Hyunsuk, just to be pushed away by the guard.

 

“F-Fine, it’s getting boring to scan people and check bags all day anyway. There’s nothing challenging,” Hyunsuk said, trying to maintain his composure. “Won’t hurt to give it a shot.”

 

“So, it’s not one-sided,” Jihoon pretended to giggle shyly.

 

Hyunsuk finally lost it and smacked the driver on the head. “To try the new job, NOT to fool around with you.”

 

Meanwhile, Mashiho had the biggest grin in the last two months as he clapped his hands like a happy little child. Finally, a door was open for him.

 

And behind that door was none other than Kim Junkyu himself.

 

“Prepare yourselves for interview in three days from now, we meet again here at 9 AM and I’ll take you there. Good luck, babes.”

 

 

Two weeks later…

 

Mashiho flew his gaze around in awe. All houses in that neighborhood were big. Not that it was his first time going there – he had had an interview there with the lady who was then his new boss, unexpectedly at Yedam’s house instead of his boss’ house. Junkyu still had no idea about this, and from what Mashiho heard from the mother, the koala was still unhappy about the idea of having a babysitter for himself. That’s what it looked like to him.

 

Mashiho couldn’t wait to see how he would react to find out that his babysitter turned out to be him.

 

Somewhere on their way around the neighborhood, Mashiho spotted a familiar person, patrolling around on a motorbike. He opened the window and yelled, “Hyunsuk hyung!”

 

The neighborhood’s security guard was startled, but then a big smile instantly bloomed on his face. “Mashi! You’re finally here! Let’s meet later!”

 

“Yes! Have fun, hyung!”

 

“He really enjoys his job here because of that motorbike.” Jihoon snickered.

 

Soon, Jihoon stopped the car outside a house that wasn’t as big as Yedam’s, but still big anyway. He went out of the car and pressed a button next to the gate, waved at the small camera there, and the gate was automatically opened. Mashiho gasped witnessing that.

 

As soon as they were inside, they were greeted by a middle-aged couple – Junkyu’s parents. They were kind and smiley, just like their son.

 

“Junkyu, come down and meet your new friend!” The mother yelled from the bottom of the stairs. Mashiho liked how she used the term ‘friend’ instead of ‘butler’ or such.

 

“Coming!”

 

Junkyu’s voice was faint coming from his room upstairs, but it caused a strong wave of emotions in Mashiho’s heart. He hadn’t realized he had been missing that voice so much.

 

And then he appeared. The tall, handsome koala, still as handsome as Mashiho could remember even in a simple black sweater. But there was something missing…

 

His smile.

 

As if refusing to see his new babysitter, Junkyu went down the stairs with his head down. He didn’t lift his chin even when he stood next to his mother, as if he was ashamed or such.

 

“Junkyu, behave. Be nice to your new friend,” his mother whispered.

 

“Hello, nice to meet you. Thank you for being here.” Junkyu kept his head low, still not wanting to open up.

 

Not until Mashiho finally let his voice out.

 

“Hyung, I took care of your girlfriend.”

 

At that very moment, Junkyu snapped his head up to see the sight of his very own little hamster, wearing his very own favorite beret.

 

The old Kim Junkyu jumped back to life.

 

“...MASHIHO!”

 


Junkyu

 

Junkyu pounced on his new butler and squeezed him in a tight embrace. It all felt like a dream – he couldn’t believe the person who was going to live with him from then on was Takata Mashiho, the adorable Japanese housekeeper who had been wrecking his mind and heart up without even knowing.

 

He had been feeling down due to his wounded dog and the burglary at his own house a while ago, not to mention the stressful college projects and the sudden overpotective behavior of his parents that didn’t allow him to go wherever and whenever he wanted. But like a magic, the sudden appearance of the little hamster wiped away all his negative feelings in a snap.

 

Meanwhile, knowing from the interview that the two boys had known each other, Junkyu’s parents almost shed happy tears knowing that they had hired the right person. Their son was not only happy, but also safe now – the new butler might look soft and adorable, but behind that façade he certainly knew how to use his small body to protect himself and his boss, as he had demonstrated in front of them by using Jihoon as the object.

 

Now, Junkyu only saw one problem…

 

It was how not to be too attached to Mashiho, his personal butler.

 


 

A/N: so, the story ends here! It got way too long and I’m still even thinking of writing a bonus that I’d name “Mashiho, Combat Butler in Action” lol yes that “combat butler” part is from an anime’s title ㅠㅠ

Readers, if you see this, do tell me if you want that bonus hehe

Anyways thanks a lot for reading this story! Please subscribe for more YGTB/Treasure 13 stories!