Better late than never

We Found Each Other

I didn’t do much more as spotting Jinsol into the dorms’ corridors and stealing glances at her for the rest of the week.

Although it’s the beginning of the weekend, Sooyoung, Chaewon and I decided to stay on campus to practice dancing and other classes. The math test due in not even a week is my number one concern as I still don’t have a tutor.

I manage to relieve my anxiety for some hours by going for a jog with Sooyoung early in the morning. Yeah, it was hard to convince her. We peacefully run back to the dorm building only for me to stop dead in my tracks at the view of the little crowd in the lobby. I grab Sooyoung’s arm just in time to stop her as well, my feet as rigid as cement.

I immediately spot the familiar faces among the unknown ones. Jinsol, Heejin, the little one, Yeojin, Yerim, Chaewon, Hyunjin and Jiwoo.

“What ?” Sooyoung looks back at me, a frown on her sweaty face. I nod my head in direction of the group, we are this close to them any of them will notice if we make a sound.

She turns back, frowning even more, “And what about it ?” Hm ! She probably didn’t spot Jiwoo yet, that’s why she is so unbothered by them seeing us.

“You want Jiwoo to see you like this ?” I raise my eyebrows at her, looking her up and down. She shrugs, checking herself down.

“If anything, I look y sweating like that, it almost looks like I had .” She comments, full of herself. Hm, she didn’t see her face then.

“Maybe, but your makeup dripping on your cheekbones isn’t as y.” I laugh quietly, making her eyes widen.

“What ?!” She nearly yells but fortunately lowers the volume to a whisper just in time, looking herself in her phone.

“Holy . Let’s just pass by them.” She murmurs, walking on her tiptoes towards them but so far, it's the least discreet thing I’ve ever seen in my entire life.

“Hold on.” I bite my lip to stop the sound of my laugh, walking up to her and trying to hide her as we walk quickly towards the stairs. Just a few steps.

“Oh ! Hey new girl !” A high cheery voice freezes me on the spot. Sooyoung is still walking, she believes she can get away after this, one of them will definitely recognize her now that someone led their attention towards us.

I turn on my heels, meeting the source of the voice, Yeojin ? Out of everyone that knows me, she’s the one who spotted me when we still didn’t even talk once yet.

I force a smile. I really want to be anywhere but here, I can literally feel the droplets of sweat trickling down my back, I don’t need a mirror to know that some of my baby hair is plastered to my glistening forehead, my lips remain dry as a rock no matter how much I swipe my tongue to wet them, ing dehydration. And the icing on the cake ? I somehow can feel Jinsol’s eyes on me. Why do you care ? Who cares if you look good or hideous ?

I catch Heejin in the corner of my eye and she looks away, blushing instantly. Yeah, that...happened.

Thankfully, the attention is not only on me anymore as Yerim realizes I’m not alone.

“Sooyoung !” She exclaims, parting from the group. Well now that everyone noticed us, might as well it up.

“Hey everyone… “ My legs finally allow me to move, I shoot a look at Sooyoung so she hurries the up and join me. She’s not going to stand halfway in the stairs while I’m talking with them.

She obliges, rolling her eyes. Oof, I was ready to drag her by the hair if necessary.

Hyunjin and Heejin are the first ones to walk towards me, by the look on their faces, I know what they want to talk about.

“About the other day…” Hyunjin starts, scratching her neck sheepishly. I don’t want her to stress herself out any longer. Things happen.

I smile genuinely this time,“It’s okay, let’s forget about it, you guys make a really cute couple.” I assure, putting a thumbs up.

“Oh thank you ! I was so nervous about seeing you again !” Heejin breaks into a smile that makes her resemble a bunny (if that’s even remotely possible) before bringing me into a hug. Jesus, Hyunjin isn’t the only strong one, the air is knocked out of me. I more or less return the embrace, I have never been too fond of physical contact.

“Let’s start anew girls.” I suggest, patting her back before breaking the hug politely.

“Are you going out this weekend ?” Heejin asks, focusing on me whereas the others just break into little fights here and there. How noisy.

I do my best not to wince at the loudness violating my ears. “Give me back that chocolate bar !” Yeojin shrieks, chasing a way taller girl while her backpack is zipped open, threatening to spill its content like a fountain.

I manage to tear my gaze away from the scene, “hm no, I’m staying here with Sooyoung and Chaewon to practice some stuff.”

“ What a shame ! You could have come with us ! We’re spending the weekend in Yerim’s holiday home in the forest, it’s like a small cottage.” She explains excitedly.

“But I get it ! Hyunjin can’t make it either, she’ll practice football with Jiwoo with the big match coming up, you guys should definitely stop by.” She grins, nodding before resting her head on her girlfriend’s shoulder who’s immersed in another conversation.

“Yeah, that actually sounds good.” I speak, catching a glimpse of Sooyoung chatting with Jiwoo. Oh.

Yerim is standing right beside them, third-wheeling. I still notice she’s stealing glances at Yeojin the more the girl grows loud and playful, now getting on the nerves of another unfamiliar face.

I can’t stop my eyes from roaming around in search of Jinsol but surprisingly, she’s busy talking with Chaewon. Good.

“Then, Babe !” Heejin calls for Hyunjin, shaking her shoulder as the girl is still arguing about something with the dark-haired girl who was previously chased around.

“Give your number to Jungeun !” She requests once she has her full attention.

“She wants to see the game, you’ll give her the details !”She pursues, nearly jumping in excitement.

“Hum, yeah, sure, you okay with that ?” Hyunjin asks her girlfriend, raising a wary eyebrow.

Heejin scoffs loudly, pushing her shoulder, “Of course ! Why wouldn’t I be ? We’re all friends now !”

Hyunjin takes my phone, doing as the other girl says when the latter gasps.

“You don’t know Hyejoo yet, right ?” She steps aside to let me see the quiet girl. She looks bored out of her mind but still gives me something that looks like a nod to acknowledge my presence.

“Now she does...” She sneers. She has a really fair complexion, with her calm demeanor and this, she could be a ghost.

“Obviously smart head !” Yeojin chimes in, bumping into typing Hyunjin who almost drops my phone. To my great relief, she grips it just in time, my favorite companion safe and sound.

She turns to glare at Yeojin who cowers behind an unfamiliar girl, “ I was done anyway.” She hands it back to me.

“Midget, can you behave like an adult-being for once ?” The short-haired girl scolds the troublemaker.

“And stop clinging onto me like that, I’m your sister, not your mom !” She latches at her, shooing the girl attached by her hip.

The offended little sister huffs, “See, Haseul is mean like that...but I can’t say anything because she drives us to the haunted house.”

Hyejoo’s head perks up, “Hau-haunted ?” Oh, I didn’t expect she would be afraid of ghosts, she’s literally the embodiment of one.

“She’s just bluffing, don’t worry.” Another girl at Haseul’s side rocking light pink hair reassures her.

“Listen to the voice of wisdom guys, and I’m only driving because Kahei agreed to come.” Haseul nearly swoons over the girl.

I audibly clear my throat, time to cut the conversation short, “I really have to take a shower so I’ll go, it was nice meeting you girls.”

I look towards Sooyoung to see if she is ready to go but she is still talking, more like flirting with Jiwoo, I contort my face in discomfort at her chortle but it falls when I meet Jinsol’s eyes trying to avoid the two girls.

I stare at her blankly for a second but I manage to return her smile. Though, I spin on my heels when I get the feeling that she’s going to come forward to talk to me.

I’m about to climb the stairs but I feel someone grab my wrist. I turn around, meeting...her, “Your phone.” I stare dumbly at her extended hand, my head cocking to the side.

She gently takes the phone from my hand, taking the liberty to fumble in it, “I’m putting my number in there.” She focuses on the task, her nails clicking on the screen. She beams cheekily before giving it back to me, “You still owe me that drink.”

“Text me ?” She sounds wary, I nod in approval, giving her the birth of a smile before climbing up the stairs.

+++

“Did you get her number at least ?” I ask Sooyoung when she closes the dorm’s room a little too excitedly. She freezes on her feet, falls open like a fish but it shuts right away.

“Actually...no, I shall go back outside without delay.” She jokes, checking herself in the mirror by the entrance door.

I jump on my feet when she’s going for the door, “ No wait !” I block the door with my back, pleading her with my eyes , “You could ask for it later ?”

She frowns, “ I can go alone, you know ?”

I sense her stare deeply into me and a smirk curves her plump lips, “It’s alright if you don’t want to see Jinsol that bad.” I find myself clenching my teeth.

I roll my eyes so hard it hurts my sinus, “ Absolutely pointless.”

She moves away from the door and to the bathroom, “then...why can’t I go ?” She speaks up from there.

I make my way to her, checking if she is decent to lean on the doorway. “ The adrenaline from the run must still affect you.” I watch her as she splashes water onto her face.

“ -but think about it, if you go to her just to ask her number, you will make a fool of yourself.”

She snorts and grabs a towel, I barely make out her words as she buries her face into it, “I’m NoT a pAnickEd gAy like yoU Are.”

I raise my eyebrows, “Say that again ?”

She shakes her head, “you heard me very well.”

“Well, what I know is that I have her number and you don’t have your crush’s number.” I argue.

She looks up from the towel, her eyes threatening to pop out of their sockets, “YOU ASKED FOR HER NUMBER ?!”

I wince at her shrill voice, “Oh my god, why are you so loud ?” And in the next second, I playfully launch a washcloth at her.

She throws the washcloth into the sink, mimicking my voice, ‘oh my god, why are you always throwing s at me ?”

I shrug as she brushes past me, “That’s my coping mechanism.”

….She fumbles in her closet, “So...” and stretches her upper body to look at me, “ the number, how’d you get it ?” She wiggles her eyebrows at me before holding up a plain white shirt.

I walk to sit on the edge of my bed, “She put it in my phone ? For the coffee date or whatever, and that shirt looks dull.” I say disinterestedly, looking for her contact information on my phone.

She scoffs, “Did I ask for your opinion ? Ha Sooyoung can make anything look fabulous.” She throws the shirt onto her bed and goes back into her drawer.

I watch as her jiggles lightly with how much struggle she puts into finding something to wear among the huge pile of clothes. Let’s say she is one messy person.

Objectively, my roommate is gorgeous, no need to be into girls to acknowledge that, anyone with eyes would think the same.

She drops some jeans on the floor, “Hold on-”

She twists on her feet, staring at me incredulously, “did you say coffee dAtE ?”

Did I ? Couldn’t care less.

I shrug, giving her a bored look, “Maybe, I don’t know.”

She gasps, walking closer to me, “Holy , you can’t even deny you have the hots for her !”

I scoff, not this again, “Did you want me to call this a meeting perhaps ?” I ask, my voice full of sarcasm.

She hums, puzzled, and I look back into my phone to show this conversation is over.

Oh there she is, Jinsol- I freeze, she saved herself as Jinsol but added a winky face to it. I don’t know how to feel about this.

 

Jinsol’s POV :

 

“Everyone’s ready to go ?” Haseul calls, fastening her seatbelt. It took us 15 minutes arguing on who would sit where, well mainly Yeojin refusing to sit at the back in the tiniest seat.

And she huffs yet again, “If anyone’s interested in trading my seat ?” She audibly struggles with whatever thing crossed her way.

I feel something sharp, probably a foot, hit the back of my seat, my blood boils and in the next second, I’m hunched over the seat, glowering at her, “For the last time, no Yeojin, and stop kicking my seat !”

Her composure barely falters. She never listens- Would it be alright to hit the back of her head ?

Hyejoo clicks her tongue, “Careful, you hit the wrong seat, you’re dead meat.”

Yeojin’s smile falls in a second. Is the stubborn Im Yeojin impressed, intimidated ? She’s unbelievable.

I roll my eyes and sit back comfortably before fastening my seatbelt. Everyone knows Hyejoo’s all talk.

Still, that method seems to work with her so let’s hope I don’t have to give her a stern look again.

The car noticeably shifts when Heejin turns around, “ I would have gone to sit with Yerim but I’m sure you won’t close it wherever you sit so you’re safer at the far back.” She throws a sympathetic look and settles back down. She either might be oblivious to Hyejoo’s stare or she chooses to ignore it.

The latter isn’t dumb, she perfectly knows Heejin’s referring to her.

I nudge her shoulder and offer one earbud when I have her attention, she takes it, the hint of a smile making her face look less hollow.

Yeojin groans “Well no one’s on my side then !”

“Quite literally, Yerim is.” Kahei points out. This girl doesn’t talk often, but she when does, it’s always entertaining everyone.

Haseul snorts, turning the key in the ignition, “Don’t make her regret her decision.”

I smile to myself, knowing Yerim, she won’t.

+++

The air feels chiller once we step out of the car, I fell asleep during the ride so I can’t tell if the sun is nowhere to be seen because it already set or because the fir trees are so high it prevents any ray of light from reaching the depth of the forest.

To my left, Yeojin’s exaggerated stretching catches my attention, she looks around, then grins ,“Talking about a haunted forest-” Her out-stretched arms barely reach the roof of the car.

A snort escapes my throat. Tiny.

“Well, Yerim, you have the keys don’t you ?” Hyejoo steps closer to the said girl impatiently, clutching onto her necklace. Is she scared ?

I join her side, both of us looking at the host now, “Yeah, let’s go inside, it’s a bit cold.”

Hyejoo gives me some sort of thankful look. I was right.

We follow behind Yerim who carefully climbs the flight of wooden stairs, her hand slides up the handrail, “Be ware, it’s slippery.”

Once it’s my turn to climb the stairs, the wooden handrail feels moist and rough when I squeeze it. It’s just for extra caution.

Everyone’s already huddled on the porch when the lock makes an audible “click !” the moment it unlocks and the door creaks upon being pushed open. Yerim puts the key away on the drawer situated by the door and then, her figure doesn’t obstruct my sight anymore.

I walk in and my vision sets onto a living-area that has everything you need and is decorated plainly enough. A large couch and several armchairs are displayed in a circle a few feet in. Further into the room, the stone arch overlooking the rusty open kitchen gives a convivial aura despite the lack of light. The thick air and the booming musty smell confirm that her family didn’t come here in a while. A white sheet covers the couch so I decide against finishing my nap there, instead, separating myself from the group to have a better look around.

As the curious one, Yeojin pushes past the others and makes a dash for the kitchen, probably off to find some food. Heejin lands on the couch shamelessly whereas Kahei stands behind it, a little more reluctant.

Hyejoo is walking around while examining the room, semi-aimless. She props herself up on the counter just beneath the arch, her usual stony face twitches in amusement and she looks over her shoulder, “Finding anything interesting Yeojin ?”

A door is slammed shut, “ I’m hitting a brick wall.” She answers monotonously, popping from behind the counter.

On the left side of the room, Yerim goes to open some opaque curtains, illuminating the dining-area. I take the initiative to do the same and the rushing light forces me to squint my eyes. When I take a better look around, the room gained a little ease.

As the last one to arrive, Haseul shuts the door behind her before joining Kahei’s side and placing a sweatshirt over her shoulders, “You forgot to take this.” Kahei gives her a shy smile. These two, get a room.

I focus my attention back on Yerim, it’s hard to ignore her effective pacing around in the room when the floor creaks under her weight.

In a hurry and engrossed, she goes to remove the sheet from the couch but as one would expect, it doesn’t budge when she pulls on it. Heejin is still sprawled onto it, head upside down.

Haseul stares down at the girl from behind the backrest, incredulous whereas Kahei seemingly tries to understand the hype in looking at the ceiling, her neck stretched.

Out of nowhere, the center of attention lets out a content sigh, “That’s not bad at all !” Her voice booms with glee.

Yerim breaks into a smile, shaking her head at the girl and I scoff quietly. Does she seriously not realize everyone’s staring at her ?

Haseul laughs under her breath, her motherly tone breaking her out of her daydream “ It’ll be even better if you let Yerim remove that dusty sheet.” She nods her head towards Yerim once she has her full attention.

Heejin follows Haseul’s eyes and gasps, “Oh ! Sorry !” In a second, she is up on her feet. “I didn’t see you...” She scraps her neck, see, she isn’t that bad.”

Yerim finally gathers the last cloth with a toothy grin, “Don’t worry about it !”

She puts away the sheet into the drawer next to the door before making a bee line to open up the window with a view on the front ground. I feel super useless seeing her all over the place.

Yeojin bursts from the kitchen and looks over to the girl, confused, “hum, isn’t it cold to open the windows ?”

Haseul moves over to sit on the couch, brushing past embarrassed Heejin, “ Is this your house ?” She sneers at her sister and my eyes widen at her tone. Wow, she woke up from the wrong side of the bed or what ?

The smaller girl gives her a bored look, unfazed by her remark before going back to the kitchen.

Somehow, Yerim feels the tension in the the air and breaks into a laugh “No you’re right, it just stinks so I want to air the room a little bit.” She then bends over the window sill, looking outside.

I notice a fireplace behind the rustic armchairs, “We could make a fire ?” I suggest and Yeojin clicks her fingers, “that’s a super good idea !”

Yerim’s head comes back from the outside and she gives me a little nod, smiling, “ I was just thinking about that.”

She grabs some gardening gloves from the hat stand by the door, putting them on, “There are still some logs outside, someone wanna come with me ?”

Haseul volunteers before anyone can, joining Yerim just when the younger has the door opened. “Try to find the matches !” We hear Yerim scream from outside the house and I set to work, not before rolling my eyes when Heejin slumps into the couch again.

I push my way through the armchairs, closer to the chimney, making sure to check thoroughly in between the photo frames spread on the mantel. If anything, matches should be close to the fireplace right ?

“ Alright guys there’s like nothing in there !” Yeojin speaks up from the kitchen and Hyejoo groans, “No drinks ?” She hops down the counter, joining Yeojin.

Kahei laughs, “Remember you don’t drink Hyejoo.” She moves to lean against the counter, just tall enough to rest her forearms on it.

They open and close some drawers loudly, “There might be some keys in there.” I barely make out what Hyejoo is saying.

“Finding something to light up a fire ?” The pink-haired girl asks ironically.

Right, I couldn’t put my finger on the matches.

“Hm...here.” Yeojin does just as much as warning but the matches box is already hurled towards Kahei who catches it effortlessly. Former baseball player in the high school’s team, I wouldn’t expect less.

“Oh and keys !” Hyejoo exclaims, she walks out of the kitchen, dangling the keys in the air in victory.

Yeojin follows behind her, staring at her as if she had two heads, “And what about keys ?”

The weirdly happy girl rolls her eyes, “if you’d be less into your own little world, you would have noticed there’s a shed alongside the house.”

Yeojin frowns, walking towards the door, “Rude.”

She stops just in front of the ajar door and looks behind her, an eyebrow raised, “Well, you coming ?”

Without a word, Hyejoo opts for a sluggish pace, stuffing her hands in her jeans pockets.

“Come on-aAh-” Yeojin’s chortle dies down in when the door swings open, shoving her out of the way like a rag doll.

We all burst into fits of laughter at her ridiculous shriek whereas the victim shoots daggers at us, a deep blush on her cheeks.

Yerim stops in her tracks, confused, the logs nearly reaching her eyes, maybe that’s why she nudged the door opened so carelessly. I clear my throat to calm myself, Kahei joining my side.

“Great you found them !” Yerim puts the logs aside on the hearth with a smile.

Haseul soon joins us, stacking the logs before dusting off her hands on her pants.

+++

Yeojin and Hyejoo barging in through the front door startle us out of our little chatters. Kahei, though, looks unfazed, still poking at the logs with the poker.

“So we found this ?” Yeojin holds a dusty bottle of wine up, while the taller girl next to her carries beers.

Haseul surges from the side, snatching the bottle away from her grip, “And none of you two are drinking this, Sol, the beers.” She goes to put the bottle onto the coffee table.

Yeojin glares at her moving figure before finally exploding, throwing her hands in the air, “Then what are we gonna drink ?!”

Uh Oh, Haseul won’t like that tone.

“Sorry.” I smile apologetically to Hyejoo before taking the pack from her hands. Hoisting it up against my chest, I walk back to Haseul, leaving the pack next to the wine.

As Haseul doesn’t even spare a glance at her sister, we all feel a tangible tension in the air.

“We’ll go buy something, we don’t have any food here anyway.” She drops the conversation once and for all.

She claps in her hands piercingly, bringing everyone’s attention back on her, “SO-Who’s coming with ?”

+++

As Haseul pushes the glass door, the bell rings above our heads and a warm burst of air greets us upon walking inside the 24/7. My stomach rumbles when I lay my eyes on dozens of eye-catching snacks overflowing from the shelves. Suddenly, I feel much less anxious than some minutes ago braving the dark night.

A savory smell is filling the air with fragrance, thus, my craving for instant noodles intensifies to the extent that I’m willing to leave Haseul there and pounce onto the yearned section.

However, she wrecks my plans with the tap of a finger, “I’ll look for food, you take care of drinks ?” She asks but her tone implies that the choice is already made. And her next action proves my point as she’s already walking further into the store.

“Of course I’ll take care of drinks Miss Haseul.” I mutter through my teeth, dragging my feet towards the boring aisle.

Honestly, I can’t care less about which drinks to pick, but I still stand for 2 good minutes reading the different labels. Each one of them is overly sugary, whatever kind I end up choosing, at the end of the night, the kids will be hysterical with the amount of carbohydrate in their blood.

Yeojin’s normal attitude is already on edge, therefore, I know what to expect from her once she gets her paws onto some lemonade.

Once I’m set, I shove my phone into my back pocket and lodge two bottles under my arm, cringing when the cold spreads through my jacket. I speed walk to the main alley, looking for the aisle Haseul would be in. Who knows, maybe I still have time to cook myself something in the microwave that every convenience store is equipped with.

I quickly find the right place, but no Haseul in sight. She’s always been a fast picker, I curse under my breath and unwillingly hurry to the checkout.

She is setting the goods down the counter by now and I go to stand next to her, not missing the way the young cashier’s face lights up upon seeing me.

“Good evening !” He greets a little too enthusiastically, maintaining his gaze on me. He mustn’t be older than I am. I settle for a brief glance and a nod, swallowing down my scowl.

As my eyes settle on the food right in front of us, he scans the items one at a time, smiling to himself.

“Are you girls not from here ?” He finally asks, his focus at the task not faltering.

Haseul speaks for the both of us, “No, we’re only here for the weekend.”

He hums, nodding, “I would have remembered such pretty girls in this godforsaken hole.” Ugh, here we go.

We don’t have the time to react nor to say anything that he looks up with a smirk that a lot of girls would call attractive, eyeing me up, “I wouldn’t mind seeing more.”

For sake. I immediately tear my gaze away, reading the amount we have to pay before fishing in my pocket for money, “I’m not interested.” Voila, clear and concise, he should get the message.

His scoff makes me look back at him, “You could have said so earlier then.” He spits and I refrain the need to roll my eyes, I don’t have time to deal with annoying dudes.

Probably sensing the air thickening, Haseul starts to put the goods in her shopping bag right when I put two bills on the counter.

I take the two bottles, holding them with white knuckles and put on a perfunctory smile, “Have a delightful night.” The hypocrisy lacing my words catches him off guard, just my cue to turn on my heels, my job here is done.

+++

As we are all gathered in front of the chimney, enjoying snacks and drinks, my phone vibrates into my pocket. I unlock the device, reading a text from my boyfriend, Jaehyun.

Jaehyun : Hey babe, wanna go on a date tonight ? We could go ice-skating <3

I stare blankly at my phone, it’s not like I told him twice I was out for the weekend. Dudes just won’t listen.

However, another message pops on my screen and draws my attention as it’s from an unknown number, I click out of the conversation.

Unknown number : Hi Jinsol ;)

Well, hum.

Who’s this ?

Unknown number : Oh, it’s Jungeun, sorry aha, didn’t mean to sound like a ert aha

Oh, Jungeun. I was starting to believe she wouldn’t text me. Although, the energy coming from both texts is quite different, the first one is confident, at a push shameless, while the second one is so awkward, what’s up with using ‘aha’ that much ?

I laugh under my breath, adding her to my contact list.

I quickly send something back, cringing at my text but I want to see if she picks up.

Jungeun, better late than never ! ;)

 

A/N : Holy  it's so late and I'm so sorry for updating only now ! Obviously the next update will be wayyy sooner since I got half of it done in my head already haha. Also that cliffhanger with Jinsol ! DOn't hate me for this, a lot will be explained in the next chapter lol