Hanging out ?

We Found Each Other

Jungeun’s POV :

 

“You’d be fine with a girl crush concept right ?” Sooyoung questions as we’re having our lunch in the cafeteria.

“I guess...” I nod, my eyes roaming the crowd, I’m thinking about getting some tutoring in math. The teacher was very clear the day before when he introduced me to the class, even though my major is dance-oriented, other subjects are as important and failing in one of those class could straight out remove my spot in the dance class.

Sooyoung can’t really help me, as she said, she barely manages not to fail the class, so tutor someone is not an option.

But I don’t know many people yet, so I definitely have to go to someone that looks smart and ask if they’d be my tutor.

That’s how I find myself scanning the diverse faces,  my eyes stopping on the sunshine I met on my first day here. Her face brightens when she spots me, breaking into one of the wildest smile I've ever seen.

"Jiwoo !" I call for her, inviting her to join our table.

"Jiwoo ?!" Sooyoung chokes on her food next to me, weirdly checking her face with her phone.

"Yeah, Jiwoo, you know her ?" I wave at the girl as I notice another girl walking at her side.

"That's...That's my ing crush-" Her voice falls to a whisper when the two girls are just a few steps away from us.

My eyes widen as I stare at her. Well, .

“ It’s a small world...” I laugh nervously, suddenly aware I put her into a critical situation without knowing.

She scoffs, shooting daggers at me as I nearly jump at the sound of a tray hitting our table.

“Hi !” Jiwoo chimes in, her eyes holding all the stars in the sky.

“Hey ! You guys can sit with us !” I offer, happy to see a familiar face and a potential new friend. Oh, second blunder.

I swear I feel Sooyoung tense next to me as they both take a sit in front of us, “I’m Hyunjin.” The brown-haired girl speaks first, adjusting her tray on the table.

“Nice to meet you !” I grin, and before I know it, my hand is hanging in the middle of the table. Why am I so easy-going suddenly ?

She looks up, surprised I’d even offer shaking hands, “Oh ! Hi ! Jungeun is it ?” She unexpectedly gets a good grip on my hand, strong even.

“Hum...yeah.” I tilt my head, returning the handshake, how does she know my name ?

“Oh, hum, Jiwoo told me about the shy new girl.” She chuckles, letting go of my hand. Jiwoo smiles innocently at me, her gaze turning towards Sooyoung who has been silent... since the moment they sat down actually.

“hum, hey !” She catches her attention, and if I thought Sooyoung was nervous before, it doubles over with how focused on her Jiwoo looks.

“I’m Jiwoo !” She beams, nearly throwing her hand at her. Sooyoung looks starstruck I wonder if I should hit her under the table.

“I- I’m Sooyoung...” She accepts the handshake, her voice wavering slightly at the end. She looks so different, she’s melting in front of her crush.

“Hi...” She speaks under her breath, monopolizing her hand for a little too long for it not to be awkward afterward. They stare at each other for some more when I finally decide to get the conversation going.

“So...Hyunjin-” I clear my throat. “ In what major are you ? I’d bet on sports.”

“ Oh, how’d you know ?” She blurts out, shocked. Oh, I don’t want to sound like a stalker or something.

“You have quite a strong grip actually.” I explain, feeling all the eyes on me, the simple action feeding my embarrassment. But what Sooyoung says next definitely makes my breath hitch and the air thicken.

“You didn’t come with your girlfriend, Jiwoo ?” How did she get the confidence to ask this ? But it’s also so out of nowhere, that is the worst thing she could do to keep her cover.

Jiwoo’s face drops, her cheerful expression replaced by one of confusion.

“My-my girlfriend ? I don’t...I don’t have one...” She stammers, her cheeks rosy.

“What makes you think she has one, Sooyoung ?” Hyunjin interferes, a hint of curiosity in her voice. I hit Sooyoung’s foot under the table to make sure to bring back some reason into her mind before she says anything else.

“I just… I’ve seen you with a girl at some point ? I thought you guys were a couple.” She admits matter-of-factly, trying not to sound obvious.

Phew, well done Sooyoung, I internally wipe a bead of sweat from my forehead, glancing at the girl from the corner of my eyes.

“What sport do you play Hyunjin ? Basketball ? Handball ?” I swiftly change the subject, focusing my attention on the other girl once again.

“Actually, I’m the captain of the football team, along with Jiwoo.” She grins proudly.

“Jiwoo ?” I gasp. This cute, bubbly girl is a captain in a football team ?

“ Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Jiwoo chuckles, flexing her bicep in front of our eyes.

I’m quite sure I heard Sooyoung gasp quietly, she probably didn’t expect that from her.

“ I sing too, I’m pretty varied, unlike Hyunjin.’ She sticks her tongue at the scoffing girl, nudging her.

“Sorry I only live for sports.” She sneers, rolling her eyes.

“Hmm, correction, you only live for sports and your girlfriend.” Jiwoo giggles as my eyes pops open in curiosity. I hum instinctively, wanting to know more about my new friend.

“ Yeah...they’re like head over heels for each other, that’s so cute and innocent.” Jiwoo silently squeals as Hyunjin doesn’t say anything to stop her from talking. She’s too busy hiding her face with her long, silky hair, only her fingers carrying pieces of bread can make their way through the thick barrier.

“And you guys ? In what major are you ?” Jiwoo catches the other girl’s uneasiness, dropping the subject.

“We’re in a dance major together.” I explain before taking a long sip from my bottle.

I catch Sooyoung nodding in my peripheral vision, “ It’s the best dance class, only a few have the skills to get in.” She adds smugly making me choke on my water.

Why would she say that ? Only to impress Jiwoo visibly.

“Oh you must be very talented then !” Jiwoo exclaims. And it works.

“You guys could come to see us play and then we could watch some dance of yours, my girlfriend is in your class ! Maybe you’ve met her !” Hyunjin regains her cheeriness, showing quite an uncommon smile, her canines in full display.

She’s probably about to say her name but her phone rings, cutting her off.

“Oh, speaks of the devil.” She grins as she checks the caller ID.

“Who’s this ?” She asks in a sultry tone, feigning ignorance.

She must be caught at her own game because her playful expression falls in a flash, replaced by a mysterious glint in her eyes. What did her girlfriend say ? Why do I feel like it wasn’t innocent at all ?

“ I- I gotta go.”She cleans up her tray after hanging up.

“Will you eat this ?” Jiwoo points to the untouched apple resting among the garbage as the hurried girl jolts out of her seat.

“Totally !” She shoves the apple into her backpack before slinging it over her shoulder.

“See you around !” She hardly waves at us before turning on her heels. We all barely have the time to shout bye that she’s already jogging for the entrance door, her trash barely making it into the bin. We don’t say anything but we all agree with our eyes that this scene was definitely odd.

“ Ugh, I really wanted the apple though...” Jiwoo sulks, tilting her head.

Before anyone can process anything, Sooyoung grabs the apple on her tray and nearly s her hand into Jiwoo’s face, “Here ! You-you can have mine !” She gives her a clumsy smile, barely bearing Jiwoo’s grateful gaze on her.

“Oh really ? Thanks Sooyoung !” She holds the dark red apple carefully, as though it’s a golden fruit, her bangs hiding her eyes as she glances down at her hands.

Sooyoung gulps, only nodding at the girl.

“I’ll eat this on the way to my singing class.” She grins, but then her eyes grow twice their size.

She looks over to her phone, gasping, “Which is in 5 minutes !”

She’s about to gather the stuff on her tray but I grab her hand to stop her, “Go, I’ll take care of it.” I wave my hand to shoo her away.

“You’re the best !” She gives me a violent thumbs up with one of her signature smile, getting on her feet.

Her happy face can’t help but make me smile as well, “Enjoy your class.”

“I will !” In her rush, she struggles to sling the guitar case that I didn’t know was here until now over her shoulder but finally succeeds with a huff.

“Thanks again for the apple ! Bye !” She makes a dash for the fruit before scurrying off.

Once she’s out of sight, Sooyoung breathes out loudly. Oh, she was holding her breath ?

“You’re whipped.” I state, stifling a laugh.

“How can I not ? I know that she’s playing guitar now…” She groans adorably.

“And we know she doesn’t have a girlfriend...” I point out, turning to look at her with that look.

“Hmm no !” She scoffs, “We’re absolutely not sure about that one.” She pouts, her eyes elsewhere.

“We don’t have any proof...” She finally voices out her thoughts.

I frown, “ A proof ?” She nods.

“She literally said so herself, what do you need more ?” I raise my eyebrows, this is usual stubborn Sooyoung behavior.

“...I don’t know, just, I don’t believe every little thing people say.” She shrugs.

“So you think she lied ?” I scoff, defensive, if someone isn’t a liar, it is definitely Jiwoo.

She rolls her eyes immediately, “I’m just saying... a girl calling another girl ‘babe’ is enough proof for me to believe they could actually be a thing.”

Oh. My jaw drops as I stare at her. Heejin calling Jiwoo ‘babe’ could mean they are dating indeed.

“Maybe she just doesn’t want anyone to know about this.” She breaks my line of thought, smiling bitterly.

“Come on, we’re going out for a while.” I rub her shoulder, tidying Jiwoo’s tray with my unoccupied hand.

“Why. ing. Not ?” She finds back her smile, standing up.

 

+++

 

My mind clicks when we walk by the bathroom on the first floor, “Oh ! Let’s stop here for a minute, I need to change shoes.” I catch Sooyoung’s arm to stop her pace. I forgot to change them after my second dance class and my feet have been feeling so sweaty ever since.

She nods, assuming she can just wait in the corridor. I rush into the first vacant stall I find, letting my bag fall to the floor. I want to be done quickly because Sooyoung has been feeling weird since we went outside. I quickly slide my left foot into my boot, meticulously tying my shoelace before blindly fumbling into my bag for the other but my palm can’t feel anything close to a boot.

“.” I curse through my teeth, opening the bag wide and looking for my right boot. Where did it go ? It’s not like it can flee from my bag by itself or anything-

UnLeSs- it wasn’t even there in the first place !

“Dammit !” I grumble quite audibly, too preoccupied to know where I left my boot to care if anyone can hear my little breakdown. It’s probably still in the changing room.

I run out of the bathroom, Sooyoung turning around at the sound of the door opening.

“About time !” She laughs.

“Don’t claim victory just yet, I lost one boot.” Seeing her face fall, I can’t keep being mad and break into a chuckle.

“It’s alright, I know where it is, you can just go back to the dorm, I’ll catch up.” I pat her shoulder, genuinely smiling so she won’t want to tag along for nothing.

“I’m gonna take a damn nap.” She nods, walking off.

I jog to the second floor, quickly finding the dance room’s familiar door.

Maybe the door is unlocked and I can just sneak in for a second and get my shoe back, or maybe the teacher is inside and I can just ask for it. I stick my ear to the door to spot any noise, calming my breathing to have more luck. A sound similar to a locker's door being slammed reaches my ear and I move away.

Maybe the teacher is looking for something in the changing room. I try the doorknob, yes, the door is unlocked. I peek inside, seeing no one so I decide to walk in, my eyes then finding the changing room’s closed door. The same noise echoes in the room and I frown, why would the teacher close this door if she’s just looking around ? I slowly walk towards the door, the noise repeating itself from time to time, at this point, I just think the teacher must be unwinding onto the lockers.

I twist the doorknob, gathering enough courage to push the door open. During the split second when the door still blocks my view, I hope I won’t stutter to explain the situation to Mrs Kang.

To my surprise, there is no fuming Mrs Kang inside but it doesn’t mean I’m alone either. My eyes fall on the scene displaying in front of me and I wish my brain is playing tricks on me.

A strongly built brunette and another black-haired girl are in there. Why do I know the brunette is strongly built ? Because she currently has two legs wrapped around her waist, gripping the other girl’s thighs tightly as she shoves her into one of the locker. Yep, quite an intense session.

I come to a conclusion that the noise from earlier wasn’t some lockers' doors being slammed, this was none other than two people making out and the simple realization sends a hot current through my body, the embarrassment flushing my cheeks.

I look away, spotting my shoe under one of the bench. You’re there little traitor.

For another split second, I wonder if I can just sprint for my shoe silently but quickly and leave without them noticing I’ve been staring at them for maybe half a minute now.

But today isn’t my lucky day as a loud gasp breaks through the kissing sounds. Yeah-awkward.

I dreadfully look towards the couple again, my eyes meeting with...Heejin’s ? What the -

“Sorry !” I hold my hand in front of my eyes. I know they stopped what they have been doing and the air suddenly thickens.

“I-I’m just here for my shoe !” I stammer, trying to walk towards the bench where I remember is my shoe. Please, be here. I pray to myself, my fingers grazing one of the bench.

“Then I’ll leave and you both, just...resume...what you’ve been doing.” I blabber incoherently, taking a few more little steps before crouching down and patting the ground. They aren’t moving an inch and I can feel it, I’m even quite sure the unknown girl didn’t let go of...Heejin.

Something suddenly disturbs the flat surface that is the ground and I grip it tightly, recognizing the form of a boot. Thank god.

“Got it !” I exclaim, but more to myself than them since they must be watching me make a fool of myself, covering my eyes when they have all their clothes on. Thank god for that.

But I still keep my hand up, the darkness actually helps me not to faint from embarrassment, I want to crawl into a hole and die there but I first have to get the hell out of here.

I finally remove my hand when my back is facing them, hurrying out, without of course, slamming the door shut behind me.

“Holy ...” I whisper, my back hovering over the door. So...Heejin is dating this girl ? I couldn’t see her face but this is totally not Jiwoo, Jiwoo has reddish hair and it’s not as long and silky as hers.

My thoughts are interrupted when a loud thud echoes in the room again, as if someone just jumped on the ground or…LaNdEd on the ground-

-The other girl probably let Heejin down now that I left and they most likely are coming after me right now. I grip my backpack’s straps, almost flying to the door. Damn, I didn’t know I could run that fast. I don’t have the time to pick whichever side I want to go, left ? Right ? Just whatever, as long as I’m out this room.

I allow myself to break into a jog, I have more chances to leave them behind now that I’m just around a corner.

Uh Oh. Bad decision.

My brain just has the time to take in that someone is rushing towards me, not as fast as me but I know I’m moving too fast to stop in time and if the person doesn’t notice, we’re doomed. Well-

We oh not so gently crash into each other and she yelps. I just have the presence of mind to catch her arm so she won’t hit her head on the floor but my digits feel something wet. Oh no-

And the sound of something dropping to the floor just adds fuel to my worries. My gaze goes from the empty cup rolling on the floor to her upper body and I gasp. she was drinking something.

The embarrassment and guilt feel so strong that some force just rips my gaze away from her drenched clothes and our eyes finally meet. ing hell-

Why her ??! I holler in my mind as I attempt to scan her expression quickly. Is an apology going to be enough ? Or am I going to get beaten up ? Do I need to run away right now and say goodbye to my little pride left ?

“Jinsol ?!” My voice breaks and I take notice that I’m still holding onto her as her face just stays shocked.

“ I’m so sorry !!” I fall to the ground, shakily grasping the cup. My legs feel like jelly but I muster all my strength to stand back up. Just, face it, maybe she isn’t even mad ?

She doesn’t say anything, she looks like she wants to laugh but no sound comes out, I’m not sure if she is aware of the situation yet. I clumsily hand her the cup and at least, she doesn’t let me hanging.

But then, once she’s holding it, I remember that it’s empty and that it’s no use for her anymore.

“You-you won’t need it anymore...” I blurt out, I want to laugh at the situation but I feel so embarrassed that my heart is pounding a mile minute and I feel more and more self- conscious since her eyes are on me and she still didn’t say anything.

“Right...” She chuckles, hold on- she doesn’t sound mad ?

I meet her intimidating eyes and I can’t keep the words in no matter how much I’m telling my brain to just shut up, “ I’m such an idiot ! I bumped into you and now you’re all drenched you must hate me what a ing ty first impression !-” She’s the one to shut me up, thankfully.

She puts a finger onto my lips, speaking softly, “Shh...it’s alright, things happen...”

Thankfully my -

I blink once, twice and my eyes widen when the dots connect in my brain. She is touching my lips- what the -

I stumble away, somehow not ready for this kind of contact, “Really ?” I clear my throat, looking around because I know she is staring right at me.

“Yeah, and as I told you the other day, your first impression on me was at your first dance class...” She regains my attention and I dare to meet her gaze.

“-And it was a good one, so you don’t have to worry.” She steps forward and I have to fight every cell in my body not to jump away from her touch when she gives my shoulder a friendly squeeze. FriENdLy-

“I-then good.” I miraculously manage not to stumble over my words too much. So I take this as a cue to end the conversation ‘nicely’ and leave, without taking the fact that Heejin and her girlfriend could still be at my heels into account.

“I have to go.” I shift on my feet, hoping she’d let me go easily. “Oh, alright.” She looks taken aback, disappointed if I dare say ?

“We should definitely hang out.” She voices out when I’m walking past her and I stop dead in my tracks, my heart leaping in my chest.

“Hum yeah.” I speak under my breath, turning to face her, I want to leave but I’m not that rude.

“ For example...” She trails off, a playful glint in her eyes and I have to clench one of my fist to bring myself back into reality.

“You could buy me a coffee, to replace for the one you just spilt on me.” She taunts, her expression falling to this familiar one she does when she notices how nervous I am around her. Holy . What does she want ?

“Hum yeah.” I say again, just a little bit louder than the previous time.

“Are you going to say yes to everything I’m saying ?” She jumps on the opportunity to tease me.

“Hum no.” I roll my eyes, finding back a little confidence to shut her up.

“Sorry again for your clothes, I’m leaving, see you.” I turn on my heels, walking away from her, not too slow but not too fast because I don’t want her to think I’m running away from her, which I am doing. It was natural enough right ?

“Hmm ! I really want that coffee though !” I can make out her amused tone before I’m right in the stairs.

 

+++

 

“ The situation is serious !” I announce, dropping the single saved boot and my bag to the floorthe commotion preventing any human-being from napping.

“ Ugh freaking boots !” I roar, finally managing to kick off the single boot off my foot.

“Goddamn calm the horses !” Sooyoung pleaded, still half dozing off.

“Remove the stick you put up your maybe you’ll feel better.” She snickers, oh she actually is even snappier when she’s sleepy, I thought she would be softer if anything.

I scoff, making a bee-line towards her bed, “You’ll actually shut up once you’ll hear what I have to say.” I plop on her bed, smirking as I cross my legs.

Oh. I forgot to remove my sneaker- “Wow ! Chill !” Sooyoung lifts my leg, almost making me tumble off the bed. “No. Shoes. In. My. Bed.” She warns, throwing the shoe away in a second.

Once I’m freed from her grip, I sit back up, pouting unknowingly.

“Alright, now you can talk !” She chirps, rubbing her hands together. She knows she’s getting the tea today.

“Alright ! I’m gonna go straight to the point !” I clap my hands together, making my talk even more anticipated by my roommate.

“ Jiwoo doesn’t have a girlfriend, I’m 100 % positive-” Sooyoung frowns, ready to contradict me.

“Let me talk !” I can’t help the squeal as I lightly glare at her.

“I’m 100 % sure because, I walked in on Heejin making out with some girl in the changing room...” I speak, witnessing her expression harden.

I lift my finger up, “And it wasn’t Jiwoo !” I break into a smile seeing her scowl vanish.

“Really ?!” She holds her cheek, blushing like a middle-schooler.

I nod my head, it’s impossible to contain my excitement seeing her this relieved.

“Who was the girl then ?” She tilts her head, thinking.

I shrug, it’s not really what’s important right now, “I don’t know, she just had long, silky dark hair and she was so ing strong, like, damn I didn’t think I would get flustered seeing them but I did, even if it was for a second.

“Oh...” Sooyoung hums, and I know she’s going to tease me about what I just said.

“You know a noodle is straight until it gets wet...maybe you’re like a noodle.” She wiggles her eyebrows.

“Oh my god just shut up !” I laugh heartily, hitting her with a pillow.

I think back to what I saw and I honestly can’t tell when Sooyoung lunges the same pillow at me because out of nowhere, something clicks in my mind.

“What’s up ? What’s with your expression ?” She must have noticed my face falling because she grows serious for once.

“I think the girl’s Hyunjin.” I share timidly, not totally sure of my guessing abilities.

“ Hyunjin...the sporty girl from earlier ?” She gasps, shifting her position.

I stare at the wall behind her, gathering my thoughts, maybe I missed something and the detail will pop in my mind.

The scene flashes before my eyes again and I gasp, “Yeah ! That makes so much sense ! Same hair, strong figure, she left the table in a flash after this weird phone call.” I explain, getting giddier and giddier the more I get closer to the truth.

On the contrary, Sooyoung doesn’t look too convinced, she just needs a little help.

And I’m glad to help her, “-And maybe 15 minutes later, I find two girls kissing including Heejin and a girl who really looks like Hyunjin !” Her interest comes back, just a little more.

“Don’t forget Hyunjin said her girlfriend is in our dance class ...” I point out, proud of my deductive spirit.

Deadly silence. . . “Holy you’re right !” She shrieks, jumping up in the bed.

“They’d actually make a good couple !” She comments, laying on the bed.

I scoff lightly, “You’re just saying that because you’re happy you could have a chance with Jiwoo now that Heejin is out of the picture.” I mock, shaking my head. She is so desperate.

She stares at me for a while before displaying her white, pearly teeth, “And what about it ?”

I cringe at her gross eyebrow raise, my back hitting the mattress.

“What did I do to end up with you ?” I ask dramatically, earning a scoff.

“ I don’t intend to stop being annoying until you grow a pair and talk to that gorgeous girl...” She remarks after a long silence and I stiffen. Is she talking about the girl I think she is talking about ?

She doesn’t notice my change of mood, “What was her name ? Jin...Jinseul ? No that’s not it, Jin...” she slurs her words. Is she drunk ?

“...Jinsol.” I finally answer her, sighing.

“Talking about her...” I start and I immediately feel the weight on the bed shift, more specifically it moves closer to me. Oh. She caught my tone.

“What about her Jungeun ?” She hovers over me and the funny view is enough to make me talk.

“First, stop calling me Jungeun I feel like you’re going to scold me !” I laugh, rolling my eyes.

I sit up, pushing her shoulders at the same time to make sure we won’t bump foreheads.

“Alright Lip.” She makes a popping sound on the last letter to trigger me more.

“So...?” She encourages me to speak, hunching over her folded legs like a child who’s about to get a story told.

I sigh, collecting my thoughts,“ I kinda threw myself at her ? Or she did ? Whatever I don’t know, and I got her all wet-”

She chokes on her saliva, coughing a few times as I try to understand what I said wrong-

Oh no. ‘I got her all wet’ I didn’t mean it like that obviously. That sounds so wrong now that I think about it.

“ I mean I- I...She was drinking something and it got spilt on her clothes !” I stammer as I feel my ears get red and all my face flush. Dammit.

“Duh !” She bursts out laughing, holding her stomach as I try to make her shut up so the ‘neighbors’ won’t complain.

“Anyway, she wasn’t mad at all and she even said we should hang out...” I purses my lips, remembering about the coffee she nearly ordered.

"Hold on hold on hold on." she adjusts herself on the bed, her eyes shining in amusement.

"You spilt your drink on her jacket and she asked to be friends ?" My roommate stares at me, incredulous.

"First of all, like I already said... I didn't spill her drink, she literally threw herself at me and the drink happened to be spilt on her in the process." I argue back, massaging my temples. This girl gets on my nerves so easily.

She scoffs aggressively, "That's like the same thing Lip." I glare at her to show my annoyance.

"And she didn't ask to be friends, she said we should hang out." I add. Yes I am stubborn, what about it ?

She immediately gives me that look, "yeah, 'hang out'." she quotes me knowingly.

I frown, "You know how it starts...you hang out, then, you sleep in each other's bed." she teases.

I need nothing more than two seconds to grab the nearest pillow and lunge it full force at her, she dodges it successfully but still ends up falling off the bed, breaking into fits of laughter.

"It's not like that." I snap back, earning a not so convinced right’ from the other girl.