First impression

We Found Each Other

 Come on ! Wake up !” I shake Sooyoung, trying desperately to stir her out of her deep slumber. It must be said that the two bottles didn’t last quite long yesterday. I woke up an hour before, sprawled on the carpet, my head pounding and one of my cheek burning really uncomfortably. Did I try to crawl somewhere during my semi-conscious state ? Maybe. The rough fabric did certainly feel super itchy on my other cheek when I tried to spot my roommate somewhere in the room.

However, I didn’t try for long as I felt my stomach ready to expel the poison at any minute. That was how I found myself late for my first dance class, half an hour emptying my poor stomach and another half cleaning up.

Will you wake up ?!” I jerk her body again, more vigorously, her body barely recognizable under the thick covers.

If you my again, I will chop your hand with my teeth.” She spits, her voice muffled against her pillow.

I suddenly grow aware that what I am touching feels way too bouncy for it to be a back, retrieving my hands as though it burns.

Hum...sorry...” I feel my cheeks heat up, taking a seat on the far end of her bed.

Please, we’re going to be late.” I speak lowly, considering she must be hungover more than I do.

She pulls on the covers but it doesn’t move since I’m sitting right on it.

She groans, pulling them down just so her wrecked face pops out, “ No. You are going, and I will be late.”

But it’s our first class together !” I protest, sitting up.

Who cares ?” She hides back under the covers.

Well I do...” I sigh, feeling a bit hurt, maybe my remaining drunken state talked before me.

I stare at the covers for a while but finally decide on leaving seeing no movement coming from the girl.

I’ll catch up somehow.” I barely catch her hoarse voice as I walk through the door, it bringing a smile to my face.

+++

I check the numbers on the door again, trying to make sure I don’t enter the wrong room, or maybe just to buy time, the class started already that’s for sure. I can make out some chatting but no music, maybe it's not too late. I brace myself and push the door open, only peeking inside at first.

It definitely looks like the right place, a few girl are sitting on the floor, each every one of them having a different position, the room is quite large for this little people, a mirror recovering entirely the wall on the left side.

I fully step into the room, closing the door behind me, not without it creaking in the process.  the discreet arrival.

I shut my eyes tight as I already notice a few of them stopped talking, most-likely distracted by this freaking door.

Oh !” I hear a woman exclaim very eagerly, at least the teacher isn’t angry I came in late.
I turn around, walking slowly closer to the group as she clasps her hand
s together, “New face, you must be Jungeun !” She chirps happily. What’s with that happy vibe ?

The one and only.” I smile at her, when did I get so confident ?

Actually, I got the time to have a look at pretty much all the faces and they didn’t seem bad at all, most of them looked friendly enough, so I don’t want to come up with the outcast girl vibe on my first class.

Great ! Take a sit then, I was just about to do the attendance.” she turns towards her small desk, grabbing a clipboard and a pen.

I sit cross-legged, not too far from the other girls, but not too close, feeling some eyes on me, curious eyes I hope.

 

Jinsol’s POV :

 

Well, it is becoming interesting. I stare at the newly arrived girl, a smirk on my face.

Hey ! Jinsol !” Yeojin breaks me out of my daze, pulling on my ponytail. What was that for ??

Hands off.” I glare at her half seriously.

Or else ? What you gonna do ?” She snickers, her annoying toothy grin getting on my soft spot.

I turn fully towards her, “ How about… I tell everyone you’re wearing insoles ?” I pat her cheek, feeling her mood drop under my palm.

You wouldn’t.” She says confidently, swatting my hand away. She acts tough, but I know if I put on my serious face for a bit longer, she will fall for it. And she does.

Do you know how hard it is to dance with those ?!” She whines relatively quietly, still attracting some looks from the others.

"Then remove them ? I don't know." I shrug, looking back at the girl when her name is called. She doesn't look awkward anymore, is she only weird around me ? Does she hate me ? Not love at first sight but hate at first sight ? I'm a frienly girl, I was pretty anxious to be friends with her when I talked to her at the library, but since then, all she did was avoid me like the plague.

Yeojin scoffs, "For them to know i'm ing tiny ? No thank you." She whisper-yells, making my eyes roll back.

"Everyone knows already smart , you're the only one in denial, 3 inches insoles won't make you look any taller." I chuckle but it's cut off when she punches my shoulder.

"Shhh ! Someone's gonna hear, the bubbly girl over there looks at us funny !" Her eyes dart in every direction, frantic, as I bring my hand up my mouth, muffling my laugh.

The bubbly girl, as she just referred, is Yerim, she is quite noticeable with her bright purple hair and kind eyes, Yeojin is oblivious but she once admitted she wanted to be closer to her. At least more than acquaintance, damn, she’d be happy if she even calls her by her name instead of ‘bubbly girl’, not that it is a bad nickname.

I put my hand on her shoulder comfortingly, “Don’t worry-”

Jung Jinsol !” The teacher calls for me, startling me.

I lift my hand, my voice overpowering the faint chatter.

Oh. Awkward.

I somehow feel as though someone is watching my every move, my eyes roaming the other students. Oh.

This Jungeun girl is staring right at me, her face blank. What’s her problem ? I don’t listen to what Yeojin is saying anymore, my eyes not leaving hers, no matter how much I’m trying to read her, I can’t tell what could possibly go through her mind.

Hum, Maybe she got used to my presence after all.

Go on ! Go change !” I jump on my feet when Mrs Kang shoos everyone away.

I don’t especially need to change but I have something I want to do in mind.

I can’t even walk away that one of my leg feels stuck, pulled even.

Help me stand?” Yeojin is looking up to me, her small hands clutching on the loose fabric of my pants. I raise my eyebrow at her, my eyes darting between her smug expression and my trapped ankle.

Sure.” I ‘comply’, but she doesn’t seem to pinpoint the sarcastic tone in my voice, taking a hold of the hand I lift in front of her.

I catch up that she’s about to stand on her feet, pulling on my hand and when I feel like it, I release my grip. Her tiny body falls back down in a thud.

Hey ! What’s that for ?!” She whimpers, glaring at me.

It was asked so nicely.” I coo teasingly before dodging her weak attempt to kick my foot.

You guys never stop bickering.” Heejin sneers, appeared out of nowhere, putting her arm around Yeojin’s shoulder.

Who’s fault ?” I bump my fist into her shoulder lightly, smirking.

Oh shut up !” She scoffs, slapping my with her free hand as I walk off.

I spin on my heels, shooting her with my fake gun,“Please, keep that hand for your girlfriend.”

 

Jungeun’s POV :

 

I follow the group of people to what seems to be a changing room, standing hesitantly in the doorway at first as everyone seems to be in their usual spot, already changing shoes.

Excuse me.” A voice coming from behind startles me, the girl so close I felt her breath tickle my ear.

I step aside in a flash, my eyes finding familiar blond hair, even though I’m getting more and more accustomed to her unsettling presence, I still feel relieved when she doesn’t say anything else, just sitting down and changing.

Hey newbie, you can sit here !” a cheerful girl with lavender hair catches my attention, patting the empty spot beside her. 

I internally thank her because I feel like I shouldn’t watch this girl change. I sit beside her, untying my boots as I feel her eyes on me, thankfully, I just have to change shoes. I don’t feel comfortable enough yet to strip in front of strangers.

I sit up, matching her gaze, “Hum, I’m Jun-” “Jungeun ? I already know !” She cuts me off, “I’m Yerim !” She beams, offering a handshake. Wow, does the sun shine through the walls suddenly ? It’s so bright !

Against all odds, she doesn’t crumble my hand when I shake hers, she’s a true bundle of energy.

So...How come you’re only here now ?” She asks out, tying her hair up in a ponytail.

It took long enough to convince my parents...” I shrug, struggling to slide my feet into my sneakers, as usual. I curse under my breath, wiggling my way inside as she chuckles.

You must be very good then, if they allowed you to get in at the end of a semester.” She bumps my shoulder, trying to ease my nerves, and it works.

I’m alright I guess.” I laugh under my breath, not really comfortable with compliments.

Heh, I’m sure you’re more than just ‘alright’ !” She gives an encouraging squeeze to my forearm, getting on her feet enthusiastically.

See you outside then ?” She grins brightly again, bringing a smile to my lips.

I nod as I realize I’m left alone with the girl whose name I still don’t know. She’s nearly done putting on her shoes, I should leave swiftly. My palm grazes the doorknob when I hear her clear . Somehow, my feet are still planted in the ground as she walks up to me.

I’m Jinsol.” She leans against the door, and her hand is now standing in my field of vision. She is too ing close. Our eyes meet and that’s when I notice she is very pretty, even gorgeous, as Sooyoung said.

Pff, what am I even saying ? I wish I had her big sparkly eyes.

I figured I’d introduce myself since we walk into each other a lot...” She smiles sweetly, her hand still hanging in the air.
“Yeah...” I nearly whisper, finally taking her hand.

How come...you ran away each time ?” She bores her eyes into mine, holding onto my hand a bit longer than necessary. Now is not the time to panic.

I think for a while, it wouldn’t be too clever to admit I gay-panicked or thought she would beat me up.

“I tend to avoid people I don’t make a good first impression on.” I admit, releasing my grip.

“Oh, It’s not like we really had much of a first meet.” She laughs lightly.

“I mean, not officially...” She corrects herself seeing my raised eyebrow.

She doesn’t seem that bad. It’s actually nice to talk with her when I don’t my pants.

I hum, my eyes darting to the door she’s currently blocking, “Can you…?” I look back at the taller girl, her eyes widening in realization.

“O-of course !” She jumps off the door.

“Let’s say this will be my first impression of you.” I hear her faintly as I walk out the door.

 

Jinsol’s POV :

 

Well, that is definitely getting more interesting, she is actually nice, still quite reserved but with some time we could become friends.

“Why did you come out of there with the new girl ? You decided to drop your fake personality and then found your punching bag ?” Yeojin mocks as I sit down next to them.

“Oh my god will you stop with that ?” I push her shoulder harshly, glaring at her.

“She’s genuinely an angel, that’s it.” Heejin shows her bunny smile, pinching my cheek.

“If you didn’t have a girlfriend already, I’d really think you’re hitting on me today.” I joke, giving her a wink because I know it will make her uneasy.

And it does.

“Pff, you don’t swing that way anyway.” She blurts out, tapping my cheek.

I don’t swing that way, right ?

My thoughts are interrupted when the door is burst open, everyone stopping their chatter.

The exhausted girl just literally woke up, it looks like she just threw on any outfit she could find and tried to upgrade it with a very useless bandana, and I’m not even sure if she isn’t just wearing her pajamas.

I stare at her, her disheveled hair making me smile emphatically, rough night.

“Sooyoung, better late than never.” Mrs Kang sneers, glaring at the uncomfortable girl.

“Hum sorry...” She fiddles with her fingers, “Jungeun accidentally locked me into our dorm and I couldn’t find my keys...” She looked down sheepishly, unable to bear the tough look the teacher was giving her, hm, she’s lying, and I know from Jungeun’s surprised pout that it didn’t happen.

“Hmm, alright for this time...” Mrs Kang surprisingly lets her off this hook.

She sits down next to Jungeun and Yerim, looking all innocent.

“ How about you show us a bit of dancing Jungeun ?” Mrs Kang suggests, making everyone shut up.

She sets the speakers, already expecting the new girl to be standing in front of everyone. I hope she manages to ignore the pressure, the little I know about her, she doesn’t seem very comfortable with a lot of people watching her.

Oh boy if I was wrong.

The second the music breaks through the silence, she wears a totally different persona, radiating confidence and composure, each move sharper than the others.

I look at everyone for a brief moment, no one dares to talk or even loose interest. She got them all hooked, including myself.

“You don’t swing that way hm ?” I barely catch Yeojin’s snarky comment as I she lifts my chin up, closing my mouth.

“You are nearly drooling sweetie.” She taps my shoulder, my eyes reluctantly leave the smooth dancer to shoot daggers at the rascal.

“Whatever” I hush her.

I’m not gonna lie, she genuinely caught me off guard with her dancing, she really does have more than one trick up her sleeve. “ Alright Jungeun ! It’s enough, you are pretty good, let me see how I can arrange the groups.” The teacher dismisses her, returning to her desk to fumble with some papers.

Well, I can say it is a good first impression. I force the smile off my face, following her walk as she goes to sit back down, visibly shy about all the claps and cheers.

 

Jungeun’s POV :

 

“ ‘Alright’ is definitely an understatement, girl !” Yerim praises, patting my shoulder once I’m at their level.

I feel the corners of my mouth lift ever so slightly as I fiddle with my shoelace, as if it was untied…

Gosh stop acting so weird. I scold my inner self, as if you didn’t just body roll in front of everyone. Now, with just a compliment I can’t control my fingers when they pull on my hair band, the cold locks nearly lashing on my flaming cheeks with how frantic I am.

Oh, it’s really nothing...” I swallow the embarrassment away, meeting their fascinated eyes.

No but really !” A new girl chimes in, smiling encouragingly at me, “ Be careful Sooyoung, she might defeat you if you don’t quit slacking off.” She teases, twisting her eyebrows in an intriguing way.

The latter girl looks offended, her fingers fidgeting with the knot around her neck. After some struggle, she finally takes what I think into action.

Oh shut up !” She swings the bandana at her, pretty strongly actually. The blond girl just sits there, her eyes shut and her lips pursed in surprise. I bit my lip to prevent a laugh because yes, it is bad to take joy in other’s misery.

See...? With Chaewon...”Sooyoung laughs pleasantly, her eyes flickering in my direction, “You gotta know irony.” She looks back at the blushing girl, smirking widely.

It’s not like I’m slacking off that much...right guys ?” She stares at Yerim, the girl obviously doesn’t know what to say.
“I don’t wanna get hit...” She speaks under her breath, avoiding eye contact.

So instead, I break the suspense myself.

Well, I nearly had to sit on your face this morning to wake you up.” I chuckle lightheartedly, not thinking twice.

Chaewon gags, “Oh god ! TMI !” She blocks her ears with her palm dramatically.

Did she seriously say TMI out loud ? Oh damn with what kind of dorks did I end up ?

“You know I didn’t mean it like that...” I scoff, trying to convince them.

“Well I definitely don’t remember about anything like that...but we got pretty drunk last night, so I wouldn’t know.” Sooyoung jokes, shrugging.

“ Guys I don’t wanna know ! I’m a child of God !” Yerim silently groans, hiding in Chaewon’s neck as the latter blocks the child’s face with her other hand.

“How helpful of you.” I mess around, pushing Sooyoung’s shoulder but she doesn’t pay attention at all, her figure is stiff as she looks past my shoulder.

“Is this your crush ?” I ask, glancing at the girl she is currently fixing her gaze on. She is chatting with Jinsol and another super tiny human being, is she in the right class ? I genuinely wonder.

“No...that’s her girlfriend I think...” She heaves a sigh, looking away.

“Oh...” My mouth forms an ‘o’ as I rub her shoulder, encouraging her to turn her body away from them.

The teacher claps in her hands loudly to lower the chatters, “Jungeun, can you come at my desk for a second ?”

“Probably to put you into a team.” Chaewon’s smile warms my heart just enough for me to stand up despite my lack of energy.

“Yes Mrs Kang ?” I join the middle-aged woman, standing in front of her desk.

She lifts her head from the papers, pushing them towards me, “The teams are rather balanced already, but with your skills, you can join one of those.” She points at the names, adjusting the whistle around her neck.

The first team is composed of Jinsol and two other girls named Heejin and Yeojin and the second team is composed of Sooyoung, Chaewon and Yerim. The choice is pretty easy done, I don’t know anyone in the first team except for Jinsol, and I’m a little anxious to be in a team with her for now. I really want to work with Sooyoung and see if she lives up to the expectations.

“...Team B.” My fingers brushes the name as the teacher nods, letting me go with my new team.

I turn around, ready to announce the good news to the girls but I nearly bump into someone.

“Oh ! I’m sorry.” I step back, my eyes scanning the new face. Oh.

That’s the ‘troublesome’ girlfriend.

“It’s alright ! I’m Heejin by the way !” She extends her hand, offering a soft smile. Well she does look really pretty.

Nice to meet you.” It naturally slips past my lips when we shake  hands.

You really pulled off some nice moves out there !” She compliments me, putting a thumbs up with her free hand.

Oh.” I chuckle, loosening my grip, my hand feels clammy out of nowhere.

Even though I’m rather uneasy with praises, the sides of my lips still curl up seeing her this gleeful.

Thank you...” I speak just above a whisper, feeling eyes on me somehow.

My eyes get their focus off Heejin’s face, finding a not so gleeful girl past her shoulder, further away in the dance room.

Sooyoung is glaring at me with the kind of threatening look that says ‘don’t mingle with the devil’.

I roll my eyes at her as a reflex, looking back at Heejin.

You okay ?” She laughs, certainly she noticed the weird face I just did.

Hm yeah...” I clear my throat, my eyes distracted yet again by a funny interaction.

Who’s the little bean ?” I joke, my gaze stuck on the tiny girl from earlier trying to steal a baseball cap from Jinsol’s outstretched hand. They are roughly 5 inches apart so it’s like a child who tries to grab candies from a high shelf.

Heejin swings on her feet,“Oh Yeojin ? She can be so childish sometimes !” She comments, watching the scene.

Childish ? Damn to say the least.

 

Jinsol’s POV :

 

“Please ! Just for one dance !” Yeojin bounces on her feet, whining.

I push her away lightly with my free arm, the other starting to ache at the lack of blood.

“You don’t even look that good with this cap !” She spits, lunging for my hand but I dodge the attack, shoving her away with a of hip.

“Try me.” I glare at her as she steadies herself with Heejin’s help.

“She’s just a child, chill.” Heejin snickers, gently patting Yeojin’s back.

“Well, you know how I can’t stand children.” I grimace but deep down I just want to laugh at how seriously offended Yeojin looks right now.

“Whatever, where did you go ? You could have helped me getting this cap !” Yeojin faces Heejin, crossing her arms and pouting.

“Stop acting like this !” Heejin giggles, poking her inflated cheeks not so gently.

“I was talking with Jungeun, she’s nice !” She changes the subject, her eyes nearly shining.

“We should definitely hang out with her then.” I voice out my thoughts, my eyes finding the interesting girl right away.