Long Time No See

It's You

Hallways are crowded with students not even a minute after the last bell for today's school session rung. 

Haeun decided to wait until the crowd lessened. She checked her phone while waiting. She was too busy to look at her phone for the whole day.

New messages from Mom ❤️ at 12.30 PM

Mom: Haeun, Dad and I are on our way to Daejeon now. We got some important work to do there. 

Mom: I'm sorry, I can't pick you up from school. But I've prepared dinner for you to eat. Reheat and eat it with your siblings tonight. 

Mom: Jihoon will be home by 4. I'm not sure about Sohyun though.

Mom: I don't want to bother you. That's why I'm just sending you these messages. Study well, honey :)

You: Okay. Drive safe.

Haeun sighs and gets on her feet. “Let's go.” She tightened her bag stripes and walked towards the school's gate.

She has been thinking about this since she walked from her class to here. A lot. 

What about it? 

Well, it is about the route. She doesn't freaking know the route to get to her home. 

Want to know why?

***

“We're here. Get going.” Mrs Kim urged Haeun who was seating at the back seat. But, she didn't look at Haeun because she's busy eyeing the school environment.

“Haeun?” Getting no response, she turned over to check on her. "Haeun, wake up! You're late for school. How can you fall asleep at this kind of time? Oh my gosh, you're driving me crazy!”

Haeun got startled by her mom's high pitched voice and quickly got off the car. “Thank you. I'm sorry and love you!” She said those words before closing the door, hoping it can cool her down.

Well, at least it does work as Mrs Kim chuckled. 

***

“Function well, my precious brain...” she pleaded silently to herself. There are not much of pupils left there since Haeun went out of school quite later. So, it is hard for her to ask for help. “Google Maps!”

She quickly took her phone out, typed her address and followed the directions.

When she busily made sure if the path was right, a notification popped up telling her to connect her phone to the charger. 

Not so long after, a notification popped up again showed that an unknown number sent her a message. ‘Hi. Today is your first day of senior year right? How was it?’

“What a bothersome.” She muttered to herself and ignored the text.

And soon, the phone died. When she doesn't even get home yet. “Oh, ...”

She chose to just walk until she found any usual road she used to pass by or anything. “What bad timing for these cold wind to blow.” A silent sigh left her lips.

“...Well, a cup of ramen won't hurt.” Her feet automatically makes a move towards the convenience store near the junction.

After paying for the noodles and filling the cup with hot water, she took a seat at the dine-in area in the convenience store. While waiting for the noodles to be ready to eat, Haeun looks around. There are not so many costumers.

Her eyes land on someone who seems familiar to her. Well, it is not someone. There are two people to be specifically talking. “That can't be him...” Haeun keeps her eyes on them but it is quite hard to try to recognise them from her seat because of the racks that cover their faces.

“Do you think this will taste good with a hot bar or string cheese?” The boy asked his friend.

“Eat whatever you want, you cow.” The other boy tries to shrug him off.

“That's so helpful of you.” He sarcastically replied to him.

Haeun made up her mind to go nearer them. “Koo June?” She bravely called up.

The boy looks up to match with Haeun's eye contact. “Yes?” The air fills in silence as both of them try to study each others' faces. “Kim Haeun?” He finally managed to recall her after a few moments.

“Oppa!” Haeun screams happily and jumps towards the June to hug him. 

The other boy got startled and nearly cursed by Haeun's sudden action but he managed to restrain it.

“You still remember to call me that.” June ruffles her hair.

“Of course." She noticed the other boy who is standing quietly at the side, looking confused. “Hanbin, you know him too?” 

“Yeah.” he shortly replied.

June didn't expect them two to exchange words with one another. “You guys know each other?"

“We are classmates. Hey, let's have a chat while eating.” Haeun suggested.

June nodded and settled his payment for his food before walking; dragging Hanbin with him towards Haeun who was eating at the dining area.

He laughs.I can't believe we're able to meet again.”

“I know right. We've lost in contact for such a long time. Why didn't you called me when you arrived here back then? I waited for your call everyday!” It hurts so bad to bid goodbye to your bestfriend but it hurts even more when you were lost in contact.

“My mom's phone was missing at that time so she bought a new number. That's why. I'm sorry. I missed you.” He explained. He clearly felt the pain too. “Why did you moved here? Aunty is here too?”

“So Hyun unnie got a job here. Jihoon and I will stay here to accompany her. Mom and dad went back to Daejeon this afternoon.”

“Wow! That's fast for her to get a job. I remember when she always scolded me back then.” He laughs. “I wonder how Jihoon looks now. I missed them.” June often went to Haeun's home back then. That's why her family knows him. He was like one of their family.

“I know right. Jihoon is taller than me now! Hey, come to home next time. I'll tell them that I met you.” Her family asked about him all the time if he didn't come to their house. Yup, that's how close they are.

He slurped the noodles and nodded. “Of course.” 

“Why the hell are you here, anyway? I mean, here.” Hanbin who was eating silently finally spoke.

“Oh, I forgot you're here.” June casually mentioned.

Hanbin sent a glare to him. “Thanks.”

Haeun took a while to process his question. “Oh, I lost. I followed Google Maps to get to home but then my phone died. So, I wandered around and got hungry and here I am.”

“What? You don't know your way back home? And you walked alone? Do you know how dangerous it is here in Seoul?” June asked in a worried tone. “Haeun, this is not Daejeon anymore.”

“I know, Oppa. I accidentally slept in the car so I didn't look at the road.” She admitted her mistake.

“Where do you live?”

“An apartment named The Resident.”

June turned to face Hanbin. “The Resident? Isn't that the one near your house?”

“I guess,” he replied mindlessly.

“Hanbin lives near there! You should follow him after this. He will show you the way.” 

Haeun was hesitated to agree at first because Hanbin seemed to act cold to her but she just went on it since she doesn't have any other choices after all. “Uh... Okay.” 

Hanbin was shocked by June's ‘statement’ and wanted to say no but he just shrugged it off. Helping people won't hurt.

They just naturally enjoyed their meal in silence.

Haeun noticed a man entering the store. She can't see his face but his figure... She knows it too well not to see him as a familiar person to her. Why does everyone looked familiar today? 

The man's phone was ringing and he answered it. “Yes? I'll be there in 5 minutes.” 

Hearing his voice, Haeun was certain who it was. The one that she totally wanted to avoid as long as she can. But, there he is, being in the same store with her even though he still didn't notice her yet. 

Seeing him made her hurts. That hatred feelings still haven't gotten away since two months ago. 

Yes. That man right there was Song Mino. Why the hell is he here?

Haeun tried her best to cover herself, srinking in her place so Mino didn't notice her and she succeed. 

Probably because Mino was distracted by how rushed he were to grab a can of coffee from the chiller, quickly paid for it and leave.

“Hanbin, can we go now?” Haeun was worried if he might come again so she wanted to go home.

He was still eating his ramen. “Why? I'm not done yet.” He didn't even bother to look at her while talking.

She asked again with a brittle voice. “...Please?”
Haeun looked straight into Hanbin's eyes. He didn't know why but that look showed that she's uncomfortable. 

He didn't let out any word to answer Haeun. He takes a bite of Junhoe's hot bar, then started to get up, put on his blazer.

He tapped on June's shoulder. “Peace out.” He managed to grab on the ramen cup and took it with him.

“Okay.” June was there but he remained in silence. He noticed the look on her face too.

Haeun felt relieved and start to pick up her things too. “See you next time.”

“Sure, Haeun.” He got on his feet and gave Haeun a light hug and a pat on her head.

They both walked out the store.

She kept the thought herself for a moment, but then she really can't keep it anymore.

“You're eating that while walking?” Hanbin who was eating ramen cup doesn't even look at where he was walking. 

“It will be mushy if I don't.” He replied.

Keeping on the same tone, she stated, “You'll choke if you continue to do so.”

 She was worried because Jihoon did the same too. And even worse, the hot broth spilt on his hand and there you go, hurt.

“I won't.” Why can't he listen?

She tried again, “Your chance to trip is high too.” 

“Seriously?” He turned to face Haeun and she thought that he looked a bit pissed so she remained silent. No answer from her so he continued his eating.

This boy really won't listen. "No, Hanbin. Seriously." She placed her hands on the cup to stop him from eating. They both stopped walking. “Let's sit there.” Haeun took the cup from his hand and walked to the nearest bench. 

Hanbin muttered something under his breath and followed her.

When they both sat, Haeun handed him over the ramen. “Here. People sit while eating.” 

“Sure, ahjumma-nim.” He leaked a small laugh.

“Just keeping you safe, though.” She casually put her hands in her pocket. The chill-more-like-cold wind keeps on blowing.

Without her conscious, she was already spacing out while Hanbin kept on eating his ramen.

'Why is Mino here? Does he know that I'm here? Is he here because of me? Who else did he 'begged' to give informations about me?' Those were the reasons she was pensive.

Only the sound of her stomach growling brought her back to sense.

And now she was back to her own thoughts. Thinking about her ramen, half of the cup were still there when she left. She was too busy chatting until she forgot to eat.  

He noticed everything. “There's a hot pack and a bun in my bag.” 

Haeun snapped back to reality. “Huh?”

“Eat it. It'll be expired by tomorrow afterall.” He tossed his bag to her.

Haeun took a few seconds to catch the meaning. “Thanks.” She stuffed herself with the bun.