First Time Together

It's You

FYI, I edited a bit to match the plot. Happy reading!
***

During recess, Haeun still eats with them because they did not forget to invite her to their table. The others seemed comfortable with her already and vise versa.

Except for Jennie. She still feels awkward around her as whenever they look at each other, she just smiled half-heartedly.

And Hanbin, of course. He was bitter about the punishment he needed to get done with her after school. The tension still won't loose down. 

Haeun knew about it but she just shrugs it off.

Time passes and school session ended, which means Hanbin and Haeun need to start doing their cleaning fast if they want to get home fast.

While other classmates emptied the classroom, Hanbin lays his head down on the table. “Come on, Hanbin. let's get it done fast.” Haeun desperately trying to convince him.

A sigh left his lips. “You go take the tools in the store room. I will wait for you here.” He said mindlessly.

“Of course! Wasn't that I have 5 hands to carry those mop, broom, glass cleaner, clothes and everything?”

Getting no response, she sighs while accepting her fate of getting a 'friend' like him and when out to the store room. 

As she struggled to get everything on her hands, a voice come out from her behind. “Try to learn martial arts or workout more next time. Maybe you could be stronger and not bother me anymore.” He then reaches out for the bucket and other tools on her hand.

“Let's not fight anymore, Hanbin.” She pleads.

He retorts. “Did I even ask for a fight?” 

Haeun signals the zipped mouth to him and continue to carry the things to the classroom.

“You should wipe the windows while I sweep the floor. Then, you mop the floor while I clean the blackboard.”

Hanbin finds an agreement with her plan. “Okay.”

They do their tasks quietly.

After a while of doing the chores, a glimpse of her pancakes that she brought came across to her mind. So, she went to check it in her bag, making sure if it is spoiled or not.

Taking a bite, it is still good. She enjoys it quietly.

“Are you planning to slack off or get this done fast?”

She taps on the chair next to her, signals him to sit there while munching her pancake. “Let's take a break.”

Hanbin finds himself moves to the seat next Haeun.

“I was actually planned to eat it on the way to school this morning but didn't have the chance to since we're rushing.” She hands the other one of the pancake to Hanbin and he casually accepts it and take a bite.

“Tastes good.”

“Of course. I made it.” She grinned and naturally raised her eyebrows.

He doesn't seem to believe in her words. “You're sure it is not your sister who made it?” 

“Dude, you clearly haven't know me.” She defends. “I'll give you more of my cookings to prove you wrong after this.”

He smirks. “On that.”

They finished their food in the comfortable silence and continue cleaning the room. Haeun's phone was ringing a few times with unknown numbers. But she doesn't seemed to be bothered by it nor have a thought to pick it up. She knows who the caller is. The , Mino.

Hanbin noticed the noises she made as she voilently move the tables as she arranges them. The more the phone rings, the more noises of tables bumping she made, showing how annoyed she gets. But he didn't want to ask things, as he is not in the place to. 
 

No more sounds of notifications and ringing after a few minutes. He assumed that the caller has gived up or maybe she turned off the phone.

After they have done with the task and putting back the utensils and tools the used, they headed to the office.

“Good evening, sir. We have done cleaning the classroom.” Hanbin reports to the teacher.

“That's great. Thank you for your cooperation. You may leave now and don't be late again after this.” The teacher pats their shoulders.

“We will, sir.” And they bid goodbyes.

Casually, both of the students walked side by side to head home. Though it was silence, but both of them doesn't seem to bother nor be awkward with it. Haeun was trying to be familiar with the route to make sure that she won't be lost again. She saw a stall selling teokbokki and fish cakes at the sideway and eventually she pulls Hanbin's hand to the direction of the stall.

She points to the stall. “Hanbin, let's stop by there.” 

“Wha–” Startled by the touch, he tried to ask but saw the answer anyway.

Arriving at the stall, she ordered to the middle-aged lady. “Hi, can we have a plate of teokbokki please?”

“Sure. Have a seat, kids.” She offered a smile and prepares their order.

While waiting, Haeun recalled the question that she wanted to ask Hanbin yesterday. “Can I ask you a question?”

He replied nonchalantly. “What?”

“So, how did you befriend with June?”

“We are classmates during middle school. He always get bullied, so i helped him out and we become friends .”

Haeun looked confused. “Are we talking about the same June?”

“I only know one June, how many people named as June did you know?”

“Only Koo June.”

“Then, yes. We're talking about the same person.”

That was unbelievable. “You're saying that Koo June used to get bullied? And not the one who bullied.”

As then, the lady served them the food. “Enjoy your food.”

“Thank you.” They dig in.

“Why? Did June bullied you before?” 

“No, he didn't.”

He doesn't see the correlation. “Then? What's make you think he was a bully at my school?”

“Well, he was the one who beated up the kids who bullied me at the neighbourhood. So, I can't believe that believe that strong boy got bullied.”

He sniggered.


Realising it, she pulled the shared plate of tteokbokki more to her. “No food for liars.”

“Heyyyy, give me some!” He whined.

Annoyed, she gived in and put the plate between them again. “Tell the truth, then.” 

“It was as the same situation as you. He helped me when I was bullied by the ty seniors.” It was embarrassing for him, but he told her anyways.

She was quite shocked hearing that, but didn't want to show it much. “You were also bullied? I thought you are the one that bullies people around though.” She chuckled.

“Those pathetics were just jealous that I was the teachers favourite.” What can he do if the teachers liked him the most? Accept it, losers.

Haeun agreed on that as she was also in the same situation. “I know, right? I can't understand how petty they are.”

Continually eating, they finished the plate in quite a time as they talked. Though they didn't say this out loud, but they do, deep down, surprised of how comfortable they are with each other despite the cold acts and short time of meeting.

Paying for the meals, both parties, the seller and the students thanked each other. And they parted ways as Haeun reached her condominium.