Pinky Promised

It's You

 

Mrs Kim went straight to the apartment to meet the real estate agent for final check if there is any damage in the apartment before signing the documents.

She is a detailed person. She did check the apartment before for times and found a few damages that are now repaired.

"I was there when the plumber repaired the shower. I have checked everything earlier when I was waiting for you and all are in the perfect condition. You can have my words, Mrs Kim." said the agent, respectfully.

"Yes, and I put my trust in you. Let's continue with the contract." Mrs Kim satisfied. 

The agent passed her the contract for her to read. After she was done the reading and agreed with the terms and conditions, she dropped her signature and received the apartment key.

"Thank you."

***

As she pressed the bell, a woman at her age opens the door. "You're here! Come in." Mrs Kim nodded and follows the woman.

At the living room, there's a girl playing with her Lego alone but still managed to look happy. "Hanbyul, say hello to my friend."

"Hello, Aunty. It's nice to meet you." She bowed to her.

"Hi, cutie. It's nice to see you too." Mrs Kim replied the greeting.

Hanbyul smiled shyly and continued to play.

"Where's your husband? Your house seems quiet." Mrs Kim asks.

"He's at Jeju Island right now. Working. So, he won't be around for days. That's why I asked you to come. I'm all alone." Mrs Hanna expressed a pouty face but then cracked into laughter after getting a hit on her shoulder.

"You're really never changing, Hanna. Hanbin is not around too?" Mrs Kim shook her head watching her friend's behaviour that never changes. 

They used to be colleagues but then Hanna resigned because she wanted to focus on her family and moved to Seoul.

"Ah, you remember him. He went out for a walk. I'm sure he'll be back in any minute now." 

Mrs Kim had only met him 10 years ago but since  Mrs Hanna talked about him many times, of course, she doesn't forget him. Hanbin is at the same age as Haeun too.

Mrs Kim played with Hanbyul at the living room. It's her first time meeting Hanbyul but the girl is comfortable with her. They are laughing around together.

Just then, the sound of the security lock getting pressed can be heard and Hanbin comes in. 

"Eomma, Oppa is home!" Hanbyul informs her mother from the living room.

Mrs Hanna quickly get to the living room. "Oh? Hanbin, my friend will stay here for a night. I forgot to tell you before." 

He greeted the guest with a bow and smile.

"Hey, Hanbin. You must have not remembered me hahaha." She noticed that confused look at Hanbin's face.

"Uh- have we met before?" He looked nervous because he doesn't want to be offensive by not remembering her.

"Let's talk while dinner. The food is ready." Mrs Hanna called the others from the kitchen.

"Yea!"

......

"Sohyun got the job here, right? Is she going to live here alone?" Mrs Hanna asks her friend.

"No, Haeun and Jihoon will stay with her. They even volunteered. Their apartment is just nearby here." She replies with a short laugh when she remembered how nervous her kids' faces when they were waiting for her permission.

"Aww, so sweet. Last time I met them, they were still kids. Sohyun was just as big as Hanbyul now back then. I suddenly miss them."

"It's been a long time. Hanbin has met them a few times before right?" Mrs Kim swiftly remembered the moment.

"Huh?" Hanbin who was eating quietly got confused when his name was mentioned. His eyes slightly widen. 

"Hahaha! Yes, he did. Remember that moment when he first time met them? He kept on making Jihoon cries and wanted to stick around Haeun all the time!" Mrs Kim spills the tea. They all laugh except Hanbin. He still lost at where this talk going to. "Don't you remember that, Hanbin?"

"Oppa, you really did that? Hahaha!" Hanbyul cracks.

"Of course he doesn't remember it, Hanna-ya. He was around 3 at that time." Mrs Kim evokes her.

"I really don't," Hanbin said out loud.

"Anyway, which school will she attends to? Who knows, it could be Hanbin's. That must be funny, though." Mrs Hanna direct the question to Mrs Kim, but she's glancing her son; teasingly and Hanbin managed to catch that look.

"Why would it be funny - " He snorted. Just by looking at his dumbfounded face would make you laugh.

"Yongsan High School."

"Yongsan High School?!" Both mother and son repeat the name in unison but of course, with different expressions. One is smiling .... and one with the what-on-earth? 

"That is Hanbin's too!" Seems like Mrs Hanna is enjoying this since she keeps on grinning at the whole time.

Mrs Kim sends a smile to Hanbin. "It's good to know someone who can look over my daughter." 

 They keep on chatting while having dinner.

***

"I'm going to take my luggage at my car. I forgot to bring it with me earlier then." Mrs Kim informed her friend that was cleaning the plates.

"Hanbin, can you help her?" Mrs Hanna asked.

"Yes -"

She quickly refused. "Eh, it's fine. There's only one luggage after all. I can do it by myself," she explained. 

But, Hanbin went straight to the door. "Which one is your car, Aunty?"

Mrs Kim replied with a smile and went to walk beside Hanbin.

As he picked up the bag, Mrs Kim called up. "Hanbin..."

"Yes?" He noticed that she looked at him straight in the eyes, so he stopped his doing.

"Can you... Can you look over Haeun for me? She... Um - You know -" She suddenly avoids the eye contact. Her eyebrows furrowed a bit.

He doesn't really get what she's trying to compile in her talk but he somewhat understand. "Of course, I will." 

A small smile formed on her lips shows how his answer comforted her. "Pinky promise?" 

"Why not?" Hanbin reached out to make the pinky promise gesture. They both giggled after that.