New Everything

It's You

***

“Anything else left behind?” Mr Kim made sure to ask because he wanted to avoid hectic situation later after.

“Nope,” Haeun confidently replied.

Jihoon came to Haeun's side. “Confirmed.”

“You guys better,” warned Mr Kim.

Jihoon and Haeun both looked at each other and lifted their eyebrows, changing look that both understand - even without any word exchanged.

They left to Seoul three days before the school start so they wouldn't have to unpack rushingly.

***

As said, Haeun took the whole three days to unpack - well, she's still not done yet, while the others were already finished unpacking.

“Haeun, unpack your things quickly and get sleep! It's midnight and you're going to school tomorrow.” Mrs Kim reminded her daughter from the kitchen.

Haeun who was playing her phone in the living room suddenly got on her foot as a reflex and went to her room. “Of course, Mom.”

She forgot about school. “Why do holidays felt so short?" She continued murmuring to herself while unpacking. “Why the heck are there too many stuff? I'm sure I didn't bring my whole wardrobe! ...right?”

 ***

“Kim Haeun, wake up!”

Haeun woke up and heard noises from outside of her room. “Why are you running, Jihoon?” she asked as she got out of her room.

“My school bus is coming in 5 minutes. I'm picking up my bag,” he answered without looking at Haeun.

“Haeun! You still haven't showered yet? Do you know what time is it now?” Mrs Kim asked her but she only showed a confused look. “It's 7:45 AM and your school start at 8.”

“Oh shi-” she dashed to the bathroom.

Jihoon was already at the front door, with a sandwich in his mouth. “I'm going!”

“Have a good day, Jihoon.” Mrs Kim sent him flying kisses from the kitchen.

“I'm going too!” Sohyun wore her shoes and took leave. 

“Take care and good luck, Sohyun!”

15 minutes later, Haeun came out from her room, fully uniformed but messily. “They're gone?” She hurried to the kitchen.

“Jihoon's school bus will pick him up every day at this hour. Noted that. Make sure he won't be late, okay?” She let her know so that when they're on their own, they can rely on each other.

“Yes, Ma'am.” Haeun jokingly saluted her mother.

Mrs Kim shook her head, laughing. “Eat your breakfast. We're going in 5 minutes.”

***

Haeun end up arrived 10 minutes late. “Good morning, sir. I was stuck in a traffic jam. I am so sorry that I was late.” She continued bowing to the teacher.

“It's okay. I understand since you're new here. But, please don't be late again next time,” said the teacher.

“I will.” She smiled nervously. The teacher patted her back gently. 

“Class, this is our new friend from Daejeon.” He informed the class. "Please introduce yourself.”

“Hello everyone. My name is Kim Haeun. I can't wait to get to know everyone here. Please take good care of me.” She bowed to the class.

The others applauded to cheer her. Her nervousness somehow has gone and smile formed on her lips.

“I hope you all can be friends. Haeun, look for your name at the table and that will be your seat for the rest of the year.”

A boy called out, “It's here.”

Haeun nodded and headed to her table. She is placed in the centre of a row of three tables. 

She greeted her tablemates and took her seat.

The boy earlier gave her a bright smile and replied to her greet. “Hey, I'm Yunhyeong.”

Why does he look familiar?

She glanced at her side, waiting for her other tablemate to introduce himself but he just gave her an unbothered look. So, Haeun looked away, raising her eyebrows.

Yunhyeong noticed the weird tense. “This is Kim Hanbin. Let us know if anything bothers you around.”

Yunhyeong is the nice one. Noted. “Oh, sure. Thank you.”

He kept the silence for a moment but his curiosity led him to ask her a question. “By any chance, have we ever met before?”

So, she's not the only one who thought that way. “I sure we had.”

“Amusement park, wasn't it?”

“I thought the same thing! So, it's you. I'm sorry for leaving just like that. It's embarrassing when people saw you fell.” She confessed.

“It's fine. I understand that. You know, I once fell on a stage when I was getting my award. My mom was also there. It's so embarrassing.” He laughed, remembering the incident.

“It must have been hard. Hahaha.” Him being open to her made her felt comfortable. 

“You're sure it was once?” Hanbin butted in the conversation, trying hard not to laugh.

Yunhyeong narrowed his eyes to Hanbin. “So, now you're talking, huh.”

“Kim Haeun, meet me at the office during recess, will you?” the class teacher requested.

“Yes, sir.”

***

“This is your locker key. 1460, I'm pretty sure it's near to the central staircase. You can try to look at there.” The teacher handed her the key.

“Alright. Thank you, sir.” She thanked him and turned to leave.

“Hey." The teacher called out and Haeun turned back to face him again. “Have you talked to any of your classmates?”

“Yes, I do."

He nodded and kept silent for a moment. “Choose your friends wisely, Haeun. They can be the reason why you succeed or fail in achieving your life goals,” he advised her. “Those kids are nice. I knew them since their first time coming to this school. Ask for their help if you're having any hard time.”

“I will. Thanks.” She bowed and left the office.

***

“Hanbin, come here!” Jennie called him out when she made an eye contact with Hanbin who was at the canteen entrance. He smiled at her and nodded.

“Long time no see.” He hailed ones at the table.

After not so long, Haeun entered the canteen, anxiously looking for a seat. Since it was her first day, she still doesn't have any friends yet to eat together.

“Haeun!” Someone called her over, so she turned around to the voice. She then saw Yunhyeong waving his hand out, asking her to come over. She gladly paved her way to him. “You can join us.” He patted the seat next to him.

“Thanks.” She took the seat that was in front of Hanbin.

“Guys, let me introduce you to our new friend here, Kim Haeun. She is my classmate.” Yunhyeong gained others' attention. “This is Jinhwan, Chanwoo, Suhyun, Chanhyuk, and Lisa. They are classmates this year.” He introduced them one by one. 

Haeun noticed some of her classmates are there too; Donghyuk, Hanbin, Seulgi, Joy and Irene. She greeted all of them. 

“Seriously, Yunhyeong? You forget me?” The girl next to Hanbin scoffed. Haeun did greet her before but she remained silent. She just replied her greeting with a pressed smile.

“I'm sorry. I thought I've mentioned your name. Anyway, Haeun, this is Jennie Kim. She is their classmate too.” He pointed towards the side where Jinhwan and others are seated.

“Hello.” Haeun greeted her again. 

“Hi.”

“You're in our gang now,” Lisa asked for a fist bump.

Haeun reached her fist out too and bumped it with Lisa's. “Thank you for accepting me, then.”

“Nah, You're cool.”

“Why were you late?” Irene asked.

“I was looking for my locker. Just to make sure I know where it is,” she explained while eating her food.

“What's the number?” Donghyuk casually asked.

“1460. At the central staircase.”

“Oh? That's near to mine! We can be locker-buddy.” Joy chimed in with her sweet looking smile.

“Does that even exist?” Chanhyuk questioned with his expressionless face.

Joy shot him a death glare “Shut up, Chanhyuk.” 

Dude, that glare could really stabbed you. How can a lovely girl changed into a thug in a blink of an eye?

“Ahaha...” Haeun awkwardly laughed because none of the others seem to be shocked by that - even Chanhyuk. They just eat their lunch quietly.

When Joy's eyes met hers, it's changed to the charming look in split second.

“Don't be shocked. She also like that.” Yunhyeong clarified.

The bell ringed and they part ways to their classes.