[7]

starting over

Solar was in her room now, sitting on her bed, thinking of what had just happened.

She knows Moonbyul doesn’t really have any friends. She shouldn’t have come off so strong and basically pushed that fact in the other girl’s face.

Solar felt awful. She might have just lost the only friend she’s had in a long time. She needed to fix this. She quickly got up from her bed and walked over to her desk, inwardly groaning on the huge mess that had been growing on it since she had moved in.

After rummaging through piles of initiation papers, school calendars, pamphlets, and assignments, she found what she was looking for. Since she was a new student, the administration had given her a school directory, with the contacts for all the teachers and students.

She had never felt so lucky.

Solar quickly flipped to the section that had the list of all the students in her grade and read down the names until she found the one she was looking for. Grabbing her phone, she typed in Moonbyul’s phone number; her finger hovering over the ‘call’ button.

She probably won’t want to talk to me right now. Solar thought as she instead tapped on the ‘message’ icon.

Without stopping to think anymore, her fingers started flying across the small keyboard of her phone, typing and clicking send as fast as possible. Once she had finished her texting frenzy and felt like she could finally breathe, she read over the messages she sent.

-text to: 7530093591-

i was gonna call you but i figured you wouldnt answer so.

moonbyul im really sorry about what just happened

like i dont really know what happened but i just need to say sorry

i know i shouldnt have asked so strongly like that and i really wish i didnt

of course i want to be your friend

i was just scared about letting people get to know me because of my last school

if you still want, i would love to start over

text me back when you can

please

-sent at: 12:34 am-

Solar felt a little bit better after sending this, but the underlying feeling of uneasiness was still there. She just hoped Moonbyul would read this and understand and accept Solar’s apology. All she could do now was wait for her to answer.

She walked back over to her bed and slowly laid down, keeping her phone in her and so she could hear if she got any messages. Her eyes closed and she was soon fast asleep, mentally exhausted from these past few events. After all, she needed the rest.

 

*    *    *

 

Solar woke up a few hours later from a small ringing that she recognized to be her ringtone. She had to say she was surprised that Moonbyul was calling her back, much less even talking to her; but nevertheless she felt a huge relief.

She quickly pressed the green button on her phone and brought it up to her ear just in time to hear the other girls quiet “Hello?”

“Hey.” Solar answered, unsure if she should say more or let Moonbyul continue. The line went quiet for a few seconds so Solar decided to speak. “Moonbyul,” she started, “I’m really sorry. I-”

“Stop apologizing Solar, it’s ok. What you said was true anyways… I just overreacted and got mad way out of proportion. I’m just confused and thinking about a lot of stuff right now. I think I just needed to take it out on someone.” The girl on the other line cut her off.

“No, no. Moonbyul, I was the one that did wrong. I’m sorry. Let’s just start over, okay?”

“No. I don’t want to start over.” Moonbyul answered quickly. “This is fine. This is nothing. We both apologized, both accepted; let’s just continue on now. Just like before.”

“Ok, yeah, I guess that’s good.” Solar replied and the line went quiet again after that. Until Solar once again decided to break that silence.

“Hey, uh, do you wanna come over? Like for a sleepover?”

“It’s almost 6 in the morning Solar. And we have school tomorrow.” Moonbyul answered unconvinced.

“I know but, we could work on our homework together or something. I don’t know… if you don’t want to that’s fine.”

“No, I’ll come. I’ll just pack up some stuff and then I’ll head over, okay?”

“Ok, great. See you soon Moonbyul.” Solar answered happily as she hung up the phone and started to get her house ready for her guest. She had approximately 20 minutes –if Moonbyul walked slowly— to clean her house before she got here.

She would have to work fast.