[6]

starting over

“Oh, M-Moonbyul,” Solar stuttered “S-sorry, I was kind of counting on you being asleep.” She felt stupid now, why would she come over here and bother this girl so late at night.

“Well I was. Asleep, I mean.” Said Moonbyul, noticing how the shorter girl shifted on her feet nervously after her response. “It’s all right Solar. What’s up?” Moonbyul continued calmly, in part to reassure the girl, but also to find out what she was doing here at her doorstep.

“Well, uh, I think when I was here today, I think I left my backpack.”

“Oh, yeah I have it. One sec.” Moonbyul answered as she stepped back from her door and waved her arm in a gesture for Solar to come inside. The shorter girl reacted, quickly walking onto the doormat that was just inside the house and letting the door fall shut quietly behind her. Moonbyul waved again, signaling she would be right back, leaving Solar standing on the little blue doormat as she disappeared down the hallway.

The blonde returned shortly, carrying Solar’s backpack in her arms. She handed the bag back to its owner, who gratefully took it from her.

“Thank you Moonbyul, and sorry for waking you.” Solar said as she swung the bag onto her back, slipping her arms through the straps, left then right.

“Oh are you leaving now?” Moonbyul questioned

“W-well, yeah. I mean, it’s pretty late.”

“Yeah, that’s what I mean. I don’t think you should go out now.”

“No it’s fine, I can walk home.” Hearing this, Solar saw unease flash across Moonbyul’s face.

“Ok well if you really want to go I’ll walk you home.”

“Oh, uh s-sure, okay.” Solar responded hesitantly. She didn’t know why Moonbyul was acting so kind towards her, but still, she was glad someone would be with her when she walked home. They started their walk and within twenty minutes they were approaching Solars house. Up until then, neither of them had really spoken to each other. Solar broke that silence when she suddenly stopped walking and turned to Moonbyul.

“Why are you acting so kind to me?” She asked almost self-consciously.

“What do you mean? Of course I’m being kind to you” Moonbyul responded, also turning to face the other girl.

“Yeah, but why only with me? I never see you talking or putting effort in with anyone else. Why me?” Solar questioned the taller girl again.

“I don’t know. Maybe because you’re new here and you’re my desk partner?” The girl responded, almost annoyed, “Do I need to have a reason to talk to you?”

“Well no, I mean… that’s not what I’m saying.” Solar tried to explain, surprised by the shift of tone of the other girl, “I mean why are you only like this to me?”

“Oh, wow, sorry I don’t have any other friends, Solar.” Moonbyul laughed bitterly, “Like what do you want me to say? Sorry I’m such a loner and can’t talk to people. Sorry I only talk to you. Sorry I was just trying to be nice. I guess you don’t even want to be friends then, do you?” She continued hysterically, “That’s ok. I’ll see you in school. And don’t worry Solar, I’ll try not to be so nice anymore.” And with that Moonbyul turned away from Solar, leaving her dumbstruck standing in her front lawn. All Solar could do was watch the taller girl quickly walk away and think to herself what on earth she had said wrong to cause this.

She watched her move farther and farther away, until the other girl was just a small dot on the sidewalk.

Moonbyul had never looked back.