[5]

starting over

When Solar finally got home, almost a whole day after when she would have expected to, she really didn’t have any energy to do anything.

She took off her shoes, walked to the kitchen, made herself a sandwich, and leaving the plate for her food on the counter, walked back into the living room and flopped down onto the couch. She didn’t even want to turn on the TV, something about a quiet house was comforting to her now in a way.

Her sandwich was finished within a few minutes and soon she was just left to think by herself.

She thought about Moonbyul. How she really couldn’t figure this girl out. One day she’ll be cold and disregarding towards Solar and the next day she’ll be acting like they’ve been friends for a long time.

The last thing she said to Solar kept replaying in her mind, “don’t worry, you never bother me”. How can she even say this? They’ve barely ever talked and the only time they really spent any time together was just a coincidence of being in the same place at the same time.

Solar decided she didn’t want to think about Moonbyul anymore, she didn’t even know why she was in the first place. Instead, she propped her feet up on the arm rest of the couch and watched her toes wiggle inside her white socks, until her eyes got too heavy to keep open and she fell asleep, with four words floating around in her head, following her into her dreams; “you never bother me”.

 

*    *    *

 

It was eleven hours later when a stiff body finally stirred and woke up from her nap (or hibernation rather) on a small couch. The sleepy person got up and stretched her arms out to either side of her. When she finally opened her eyes, the lack of light greatly surprised her.

Seeing how dark it was outside, Solar quickly moved to the hallway to check the clock hanging on the wall. Eleven o’ clock. She gasped to herself as she realized she had just slept the whole day away and did absolutely nothing and still has school to go to in practically one day.

Solar decided since she has school soon and hasn’t done any work from the past week, she would get a head start now.

She headed down the hallway to her front door where she would usually put her backpack when she comes home, but instead of seeing her stuff, the only thing there was the pair of shoes she wore this morning. Solar figured her mind was still fogged up from her long nap but she really thought she brought her bag home from school yesterday. Yes, she did. She remembers for sure now. She had it when she came home from school-except she didn’t come home, she went to Moonbyul’s.

The brunette mentally scolded herself for being so careless with something as important as her backpack. All her books, homework, phone, and computer were in there and she just left them at some girl’s house.

Looking at the clock again, Solar realized it was probably too late to go to someone’s house unannounced like this, Moonbyul was probably sleeping already anyways. Maybe not though, Solar thought as she started putting on her shoes. I can always just go see; and if she’s sleeping I’ll just come back tomorrow. She reassured herself while grabbing a jacket off the hanger by the door and slid it on.

Unlocking and pulling her front door open, Solar stepped outside and felt the dark, cold breeze of the night rush into her bare face. It was refreshing, but she hadn’t forgotten about her mission to get her bag back, so she quickly began her walk to Moonbyul’s house. Despite her short little legs, Solar was on Moonbyul’s doorstep in record time.

Before she could even think of what she was going to say to the other girl Solar’s hand lifted up from her side and gravitated towards the doorbell mounted to the wall. Not having to wait for even half a minute, the door opened and Solar was greeted by the tall, thin figure of Moonbyul. There was definite surprise in her face but Solar noticed something else as well.

She would almost say it was delight.