[2]

starting over

Solar had never been late to school and her record was not about to start today.

She rushed out of her house, leaving no time for eating breakfast or even properly waking herself up. She hurried along down the empty sidewalk to school, checking the watch on her wrist to make sure she had enough time to make it.

Pushing the door of her classroom open, she looked toward the back of the class to find her seat but what she saw instead was her desk partner staring intently back at her. Solar broke the eye contact quickly, feeling almost unsettled by the other girl’s actions, and dropped her gaze down to the tiled floor below her. A few steps into the classroom, the morning bell rang and Solar took her seat along with the rest of her class, silently congratulating herself that she made it on time.

The rest of the day went on as slowly as yesterday had, so Solar just sat in her seat quietly, admiring the view outside once again. That is, until she felt an incredibly soft tap on her shoulder. She would have dismissed it for a fly or a leaf landing on her shoulder, but seeing as she was inside, she figured it would have to be something else.

She turned in her seat to face the direction this touch came from to find her table partner looking expectantly back at her, hand still outstretched from the action. Solar was puzzled for a second when the other girl said nothing and just looked back at her, until she spoke.

“Do you have a pencil I can borrow? Mine just broke.” Staring at the cracked pencil in the other girl’s hand, Solar realized despite sitting next to her for almost two days, this was the first time she heard the blonde speak.

Solar figured maybe this girl really doesn’t like her, if the only time she’ll talk to her is if she needs a favor. But her thoughts were interrupted when the taller girl spoke again, “Uh, do you have one, I kind of need it now.”

“OH. Oh, s-sure I’m sorry.” Solar said as she was pushed back into reality. She quickly reached down and pulled her backpack up onto her lap. ping it carefully, she pulled out a pink pouch and set it on the desk next to the other girl.

“You can just, uh, take one out of there. W-whichever one you want. I don’t mind.” Solar rambled as she positioned her bag back on the floor next to their shared desk. She looked out the window again, partially embarrassed for rambling like that, but also in an attempt to hide the blush rising to her cheeks from the other girl.

Solar could hear her pencil case sliding across the table and ping, she could hear the sound of pens clicking together as the other girl rummaged through it, looking for a pencil. After a few seconds, she heard it zipping back up and being placed gently back onto the table.

“Thank you, Solar.” She heard the other girl say modestly and she nodded her head quietly in response. But that was when solar realized something, this girl just called her by her name and she didn’t even know hers. For the rest of the class she made a plan to finally ask her table partner for her name, but the end-of-the-day bell snuck up on her before she could think of what to say.

Her partner got up from her seat and pushed it in quickly as she headed for the door; and Solar, determined to find out the girl’s name followed her out into the hall.

“H-hey, uh hey…” She spurted without thinking, trying to catch the attention of the blonde. To Solar’s surprise, the other girl actually turned around to face her, showing acknowledgement to her calls. Now faced with this girl, waiting expectantly for her to speak, Solar had to quickly think of something to say.

“Uh, remember I lent you a pencil. I was wondering if you still need it…or do you need to take it home? You probably have pencils at home right? Maybe not…” She seemed to ramble a lot when she talked to this girl, well not exclusively her, Solar knew she wasn’t very skilled in the speaking department, no matter who she was talking to.

“Oh sorry, I forgot.” The girl said flatly as she reached into her back pocket to pull out the familiar pencil. She dropped it in Solar’s outstretched hand and retracted hers to shove it back into the pocket of her jeans. When the taller girl turned to leave, Solar called out to her once again.

“Wait, can I ask.. what’s your name?”

“Moonbyul” The blonde responded simply. And with that, she turned back on her heel and pushed through the doors, leaving Solar standing in the hall.