[4]

starting over

Solar squinted her eyes as she slowly sat up. Bright light poking through the curtains filled the room with a warm golden glow. She sat for a minute, allowing her eyes to adjust to the new change of light, but when she finally attempted to stand up she felt something heavy pressing down on her.

Looking down, she found a pair of long, slim legs laying straight across her thighs. Following these legs all the way to the other end of the couch, she could connect them to the face they belonged to. Solar found Moonbyul sleeping peacefully with her head resting on the arm of the couch and her arms crossed lightly over her stomach.

She realized she had never really looked at Moonbyul properly, and now, having the chance to, she took it.

Her eyes scanned all over the taller girl’s face, moving from her thin bangs which were hiding her straight brown eyebrows, to her eyes, still shut but fluttering slightly in her sleep, to her long and well-built looking nose, to her flushed and rosy cheeks, and finally down to her pink lips, which were now slightly parted. Still staring at her lips, Solar realized she could hear the other girl’s quiet breathing and got a sudden wave of awkwardness.

Her being alone with this girl, in a room so quiet that the only thing she could hear was the other’s breathing made her want to get out as soon as she could.

 She tried to be as gentle as she could be moving the girl’s legs off of hers so as to not wake her, but when she set them back down on the couch Moonbyul suddenly began to stir. Pulling her legs up towards her, Moonbyul turned and looked around for the cause of this disturbance and when her eyes met Solar’s she immediately sat straight up.

“S-sorry, I tried to not wake you. I was uh, just gonna leave.” Solar timidly tried to explain as she looked around for the door. When she came in last night it was all dark so she couldn’t see where she was supposed to leave from.

“Oh, well you could stay but…ok, yeah sure. Uh. I’ll drive you home then. I think it’ll probably still be pretty wet outside from last night.” Moonbyul answered sleepily as she got up and tried to flatten out her hair which had become frizzy from the couch.

“No. Really that’s okay, I’ll walk. I don’t want to bother you.” The shorter girl said

“You really seem to worry about bothering me a lot,” Moonbyul laughed, “Come on, I’ll drive. It’ll be faster anyway.” She finished, as she grabbed the other girl’s hand and pulled her out the door which Solar had been looking for.

Looking around, Solar could see that Moonbyul was right, there were still huge puddles all over the roads and, despite the bright sun, the sky looked threateningly close to dumping rain on them again soon. Seeing this, Solar became inwardly grateful to Moonbyul that she had offered to drive her and she made a mental note to remind her to thank the other girl once she got home.

The ride was short and quiet, save for the few seconds when Moonbyul asked about the address of the house, but neither of them really minded.

Remembering her words as she exited the car, Solar quickly, but sincerely thanked Moonbyul as she started to walk down the driveway to her house. Just then, the girl still in the car called out to her and made her stop and turn around in her spot, just a few feet away from the car, to look at the smiling girl inside.

“No problem Solar. And don’t worry, you never bother me.”